banner
banner

16 Apr 2024, 10:08 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 4045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 270  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Raptor Aircraft 5 Seat Pressurized 3,600 NM Range Die
PostPosted: 13 May 2016, 19:21 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23622
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
Username Protected wrote:
I go back to the Delaminator. Incredible speed on 100hp.

It isn't 100 HP. it is ~250 HP with all the changes. He's making that engine go as hard as it possibly can.

http://experimenter.epubxp.com/i/434207-dec-2014/23

Quote:
He cleaned up an already efficient design and squeezed out a whole lot more performance.

Most of it comes from the extra power.

Even then, he only got to 260 HP is a very light (900 lbs), very small, very low frontal area airplane.

Now think about 230 HP going 285 KTAS in a much larger, heavier airplane, while delivering pressurization as well.

Ain't going to happen.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 13 May 2016, 21:14 

Post Likes: +6970
I go back to the Delaminator. Incredible speed on 100hp.

It isn't 100 HP. it is ~250 HP with all the changes. He's making that engine go as hard as it possibly can.

http://experimenter.epubxp.com/i/434207-dec-2014/23

Quote:
He cleaned up an already efficient design and squeezed out a whole lot more performance.

Most of it comes from the extra power.

Even then, he only got to 260 HP is a very light (900 lbs), very small, very low frontal area airplane.

Now think about 230 HP going 285 KTAS in a much larger, heavier airplane, while delivering pressurization as well.

Ain't going to happen.

Mike C.

Mike,

You posted a link and data from a totally different airplane. If I were rude, I would say something like "data and math first, then post". Instead, I might suggest you look for info on the Delaminator, not the Determinator.

Best,

PostPosted: 13 May 2016, 21:28 

WWW  Profile

You posted a link and data from a totally different airplane.

So it is.

In any case, the Determinator gave us a reference for HP and speed which indicates the infeasibility of the Raptor numbers.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 13 May 2016, 22:40 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +832
Aircraft: TBM850
In any case, the Determinator gave us a reference for HP and speed which indicates the infeasibility of the Raptor numbers.

You can't make an equation that calculates a ratio of speed to horsepower without considering many other variables, notably drag.

The main claim that the Raptor team makes is low drag and an efficient airframe design that wasn't possible before the computer design process.

PostPosted: 13 May 2016, 23:46 

Post Likes: +19592
Aircraft: 1968 Baron D55
Check valves easily solve the bird strike problem.

Cool. Explain how.

I'm way too slow to keep up with the pace of this thread, sorry.

I was incomplete above. One way check valves would only prevent back flow into the wing. You would also need a hydraulic fuse to shut off the flow to the damaged wing if fluid pressure there dropped below a set value, isolating the damaged wing, or wing section, from the rest of the cooling system.

PostPosted: 13 May 2016, 23:50 

WWW  Profile

You can't make an equation that calculates a ratio of speed to horsepower without considering many other variables, notably drag.

Sure you can.

Drag and HP are linearly related. 15% less drag and 15% more HP do the same thing to the first order.

Speed and HP/drag are cubic related. 15% more HP or 15% less drag is 5% speed change. Double the HP or half the drag, only changes speed 26%.

The net result is that it takes ENORMOUS drag or HP changes to create really significant speed changes. The Raptor "designers" did not find some magic elixir that cuts the drag in half. Cutting it by 15% is miraculous enough.

Quote:
The main claim that the Raptor team makes is low drag and an efficient airframe design that wasn't possible before the computer design process.

The Determinator was tweaked to be low drag as well, the article I referenced spent considerable time going over the many details. Given it is a racer, not certified, it is very doubtful the Raptor folks can be as good for something that can be certified.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 14 May 2016, 00:16 

WWW  Profile

You would also need a hydraulic fuse...

I figured you needed something other than check valves.

I would be surprised if you can make a practical flow fuse for coolant on the supply line. It works for hydraulics because they are high pressure and relatively low flow, coolant is low pressure and high flow. The fuse senses the big change in pressure and seals off. In low pressure coolant, a medium leak would not change the flow or pressure that much, and pump out the coolant supply in a minute or two.

You could make two separate coolant systems, two pumps, two isolated channels in the engine, but the engine is an automotive derivative so it lacks that in the design.

Even if you can isolate one wing, you are down to half your system.

This is not a new idea, the Mosquito in WWII had inboard leading edge radiators, among others. it has good properties aerodynamically, but it generally isn't enough to serve as anti ice for piston aircraft, just not enough waste heat, particularly for a high efficiency diesel.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 14 May 2016, 00:38 

Post Likes: +6880
Aircraft: Debonair C33A
So I am curious, how many folks here would be willing to get into a single engine plane powered by a car engine? :stir:

I mean, big companies like CMI etc. have been working for years (quite unsuccessfully) to build an aviation diesel, and this guy is just going to stick an Audi engine in it and fly away? :crazy:

PostPosted: 14 May 2016, 01:14 

Post Likes: +173
Company: USMCR
Aircraft: PA-46T, B100, Tiger
There have been many brilliant aircraft designers like Burt Rutan

It would be a hoot to see Rutan read the numbers for the Raptor and see how much he laughs.

Burt knows the numbers. Give him the weight, frontal area, wing area, Cd, HP, and I bet he can estimate the cruise speed to within 10 knots.

The Raptor is not exploring some new frontier, it is decidedly in territory that has been well understood for decades.

Mike C.

I think the biggest point here is they are not exploring a new frontier and we don't have to ask Rutan about the numbers. Those who say these speeds aren't achievable don't know their experimental planes. I was skeptical about the project too until their salesman, who is no longer with them, told me it wasn't much different than a TXL Velocity but they're making it out of carbon fiber and pressurizing it. There are several TXL Velocities currently flying and they are making 250+ kts at 25,000 on around 22 gph with a TSIO550.

So he really just needs to come up with a power plant that is 50% more efficient than a design from the 1960s. The automotive industry has done that, so it's achievable.

I'm not saying this guy is the right guy to pull this off, but Lance Neibauer had no aircraft experience either and his out of the box designs brought us the Cessna TTx.

I'm also not comfortable with his business model, but if he does pull off 1000 sales, he's going to get some pretty major economies of scale even with guys that think they own the market like Garmin.

PostPosted: 14 May 2016, 03:08 

Post Likes: +367
Aircraft: Bonanza 36
Let's see. It is 15% more efficient than a Cirrus so it goes 50% faster, burning half the fuel, carrying half more weight and it travels twice as far...but it is made out of space age carbon fiber with a state of the art Diesel engine with all the latest and greatest glass cockpit for 1/4 of the price of the Cirrus but we want to get it down to 1/5 of the price. Very doable.

There was a really great little jet that did this a while ago but it's model was one third as unrealistic as this one. How did that work out? Probably a lot better than the Moller car. But wait. We could build a new modern flying car and with a few improvements we could surely put one of those in every garage. How is that one coming. If it is not ready yet maybe we should make that one a VTOL 4 seat car, cause the 2 seat horizontal take off one can only barely fly. I am sure that a 4 seat VTOL one will be much better.

Why spend $3K on a deposit, when I can count on Santa Claus to get one down the chimney way before they get this one done.

PostPosted: 14 May 2016, 07:27 

Post Likes: +3198
Aircraft: C55, PC-12
Lots of laws around raising money from unsophisticated investors but these guys are far enough out there that maybe, just like the laws of physics, they have chosen to ignore them - SEC doesn't tend to get involved until investors squawk and the companies are usually gone at that point. I'd bet on this or a family money.

I don't see where they are asking for investment money.

I see where they are asking for refundable deposits and that falls under the CFTC. They are having that money deposited in escrow.com. They don't touch the money or get any use of it.

Very different situation then the way Eclipse handled customer deposits.

To me it looks like a local EAA chapter experimental project in watching the build.

Can't ask for money from the public unless you register a PPM so I don't know that you'd see it. That said, I have no idea where their money came from. If the deposits are in escrow, it didn't come from those.

What do you suppose it costs to develop a plane like this? 10M? 50M? I've got no idea myself, I'm just rambling on over my morning coffee....

PostPosted: 14 May 2016, 07:32 

Post Likes: +3686
Aircraft: H35, T-41B, Aircoupe
So I am curious, how many folks here would be willing to get into a single engine plane powered by a car engine? :stir:

I mean, big companies like CMI etc. have been working for years (quite unsuccessfully) to build an aviation diesel, and this guy is just going to stick an Audi engine in it and fly away? :crazy:

Don't tell diamond aircraft

PostPosted: 14 May 2016, 11:04 

Post Likes: +11403
Aircraft: Cessna 185, RV-7
I'd fly a Corvair-powered Pietenpol in a heartbeat. Maybe not the Model A, though.

PostPosted: 14 May 2016, 11:50 

Post Likes: +6170
Aircraft: 1979 Bonanza A36
You would also need a hydraulic fuse...

I figured you needed something other than check valves.

I would be surprised if you can make a practical flow fuse for coolant on the supply line. It works for hydraulics because they are high pressure and relatively low flow, coolant is low pressure and high flow. The fuse senses the big change in pressure and seals off. In low pressure coolant, a medium leak would not change the flow or pressure that much, and pump out the coolant supply in a minute or two.

You could make two separate coolant systems, two pumps, two isolated channels in the engine, but the engine is an automotive derivative so it lacks that in the design.

Even if you can isolate one wing, you are down to half your system.

This is not a new idea, the Mosquito in WWII had inboard leading edge radiators, among others. it has good properties aerodynamically, but it generally isn't enough to serve as anti ice for piston aircraft, just not enough waste heat, particularly for a high efficiency diesel.

Mike C.

Use the free heat from the exhaust system to supplement and maintain the coolant temp flowing to the wing.

PostPosted: 14 May 2016, 12:50 

Post Likes: +3026
Aircraft: SR22;CJ2+;C510
Use the free heat from the exhaust system to supplement and maintain the coolant temp flowing to the wing.

Just sounds like all this plumping and piping and heat exchangers add more complexity and weight when they are trying to create an efficient, low cost, easy to build and maintain aircraft.

These type of things are why new type designs from the Starship to the Eclipse 500 don't meet their early design objectives. Always seem to start one way and end up the other.

Reply to topic  [ 4045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 270  Next