banner
banner

20 Apr 2024, 12:37 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 4045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123 ... 270  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Raptor Aircraft 5 Seat Pressurized 3,600 NM Range Die
PostPosted: 21 Jun 2020, 12:37 

Post Likes: +13548
Aircraft: TU-104
I think getting useful engine life and 300hp continuous out of a 240hp rated automotive engine is likely fantasy. At least until someone demonstrates it.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2020, 13:16 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7399
Company: The French Tradition
Aircraft: 89 A36 TN, 78 Tiger
I am amazed that is is still trying to do each little fixes that was requested by the test pilots.
More than likely, as soon as he has finished this list... another critical list will be brought up by the same team.
There is no way any sensible pilot would take a flight with this bird... Super heavy, built in a garage. No way out once he is airborne...
The only way a test pilot would attempt this flight would be over a very large dry lake. I would not even dream in a regular environment... no way out.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2020, 13:33 

Post Likes: +2104
Aircraft: Lazarus - a B60 Duke
Username Protected wrote:
I think getting useful engine life and 300hp continuous out of a 240hp rated automotive engine is likely fantasy. At least until someone demonstrates it.

Possibly.

My Audi 2.7T Twin Turbo engine went to 241k before it gave up the ghost after putting clipped K04 turbos on it and increasing the boost 30%. I was running close to 400+ AWHP in a car originally rated at 325 HP and dogging the crap out of it periodically for fun.

He's running that engine at much lower power settings than full rated RPM. I would expect the engine core itself to go a long, long time. Running 3,000 RPM in an engine that red lines close to 6k, even with continuous boost on it, isn't going to stress the engine's rotating assembly.

The turbochargers, however, I would expect to be rebuilding every 200-250 hours. They're running continuous duty at maximum output. I'd probably swap the factory lines to over-bore stainless steel mesh for better oil flow.

That said, I can re-bearing an Audi turbocharger for about $125 bucks in parts and a day in labor or pay the guy who does it for a living to do it with dynamic wheel balance for $500 each.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2020, 13:40 

Post Likes: +5807
Company: Malco Power Design
Aircraft: 1976 Baron 58
... along with needing a dual channel FADEC

I'm not sure why everyone gets hung up on the need for dual FADEC. When's the last time you saw a "computer" failure in a car engine? The ECUs last many multiples of the life of the mechanical parts of the engine. There are many parts of any engine that are not redundant. If you want power plant redundancy get a twin (which you have). The reason for dual mag ignition on legacy airplane engines is the inherent unreliability of magentos. ECUs don't have that problem. It makes the engine overly complicated for something that isn't likely to happen before the heat death of the universe (ECU failure).

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2020, 13:49 

Post Likes: +2359
Company: Retired
Aircraft: 1993 Bonanza A36TN
I wouldn't call it a fantasy engine. It functions perfectly fine.
It doesn't meet the numbers he used to sell it, those were a fantasy. A new gearbox and FADEC will add weight and cost, putting the reality even farther away from the fantasy. And we don't yet know the reliability, which has been the weak point of auto engine conversions. The best available data indicate auto-engine conversions fail and cause accidents 23% more often than traditional aero engines. https://www.kitplanes.com/safety-is-no-accident-5/
Besides the obvious impact on safety, reliability is also related to longevity and cost. A drastically lower TBO can make even a cheap-to-buy engine more expensive per hour than a traditional aero engine.

There have been several auto engines made into certified aero engines. Every one cost more than an equivalent traditional aero engine.

There have been several certified diesel aero engines. Every one cost more than an equivalent traditional aero engine.

Raptor's promised numbers depended on an engine that provided a combination of power, weight, longevity and cost that have never before been demonstrated, and won't be this time either. A fantasy.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2020, 13:57 

Post Likes: +2359
Company: Retired
Aircraft: 1993 Bonanza A36TN
When's the last time you saw a "computer" failure in a car engine?
A few years ago, to me. Idling at a light, it abruptly quit and wouldn't restart. ECU failure, no prior symptoms. And that was significantly before "the heat death of the universe".

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2020, 14:30 

I'm not sure why everyone gets hung up on the need for dual FADEC. When's the last time you saw a "computer" failure in a car engine?

Twice.

Once in my 99 3000GT TT Spyder and once in my '01 Audi S4.

Quote:
The ECUs last many multiples of the life of the mechanical parts of the engine. There are many parts of any engine that are not redundant. If you want power plant redundancy get a twin (which you have). The reason for dual mag ignition on legacy airplane engines is the inherent unreliability of magentos. ECUs don't have that problem. It makes the engine overly complicated for something that isn't likely to happen before the heat death of the universe (ECU failure).

Maybe, but I'm not buying one without it.

A lot of traditional pilots will likely feel similarly, which is why it keeps coming up.

:shrug:

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2020, 14:34 

I wouldn't call it a fantasy engine. It functions perfectly fine.
It doesn't meet the numbers he used to sell it, those were a fantasy. A new gearbox and FADEC will add weight and cost, putting the reality even farther away from the fantasy. And we don't yet know the reliability, which has been the weak point of auto engine conversions. The best available data indicate auto-engine conversions fail and cause accidents 23% more often than traditional aero engines. https://www.kitplanes.com/safety-is-no-accident-5/
Besides the obvious impact on safety, reliability is also related to longevity and cost. A drastically lower TBO can make even a cheap-to-buy engine more expensive per hour than a traditional aero engine.

There have been several auto engines made into certified aero engines. Every one cost more than an equivalent traditional aero engine.

There have been several certified diesel aero engines. Every one cost more than an equivalent traditional aero engine.

Raptor's promised numbers depended on an engine that provided a combination of power, weight, longevity and cost that have never before been demonstrated, and won't be this time either. A fantasy.

All valid points.

That's the main hangup I have with the RED A04 engine. Quite possibly the best solution for a Malibu or a Duke. Unfortunately the purchase price will take an overhaul cycle to pay for itself in terms of fuel savings and speed.

You go above $250k per side and most people just won't go for it. The number of PT6 conversions is still relatively small for the Malibu and Duke. How many people will own their plane long enough to recoup the investment and you immediately lose value the second you take off from the STC manufacturer's airport.

Someone will figure it out. This is a good step in that direction, but that's about it. A turbo Diesel VW/Audi engine is about as bulletproof as it gets beside a Cummins Turbo Diesel from the 1998-2005 era.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2020, 16:25 

Post Likes: +22939
Aircraft: A33

I'm not sure why everyone gets hung up on the need for dual FADEC. When's the last time you saw a "computer" failure in a car engine?

The engines we make go into boats (working boats)
IMO certification, and common sense, require that any boat with a single engine, the engine has a redundant ECM that it will automatically switch to in case of certain categories of faults.
ECM failures are admittedly not as common as claims like sensor faults or water pump leaks, but they do happen sometimes. And when they happen they take the whole engine with them.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2020, 16:31 

Post Likes: +10723
Aircraft: 1970 Baron B55
People have been putting automotive engines on aircraft for a long time. Heck, back in the 90's people were putting Corvette engines on Queen Airs.

Check out the statistics on homebuilts with certified (or at least designed for aircraft) engines vs automotive conversions. IIRC the chances of propulsion failure in the latter is several times higher than the former. I'm not saying it can't be done, just that it's very, very far from simple to convert an automobile engine to an efficient, reliable, and affordable aircraft engine. Doing so with a diesel is even more of a challenge due to restarting issues and the higher torque peaks that excite propeller stresses.

Quote:
It's the drive that's the issue, along with needing a dual channel FADEC or at least some type of default function with death of the primary computer for the engine to continue running at some kind of minimum power curve to limp somewhere.

I'm with you on that one although the ECU might not be any more likely to fail than any critical component of an IO520, it's just hard to have that kind of faith in electronics given that ECUs virtually never give advanced warning of failure. IOW there's not much point in doing oil analysis on an ECU.

Quote:
Fix those two things and put it on the front of an airplane and you have an immediate winner. I have my eyes on a Lancair IV-P kit that I would buy in a heartbeat if this engine was available with those two issues fixed. 270-280 KTAS on 14-15 gph Jet A for $90-100k instead of 30 gph Walter 601E turboprop. Not to mention I know how to work on an Audi TT Diesel. I don't know jack about a turboprop past basic function.

Yeah a pair of diesels on a Baron sounds attractive as well, just like several other pipe dreams. :cheers:

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2020, 17:13 

Yeah a pair of diesels on a Baron sounds attractive as well, just like several other pipe dreams. :cheers:

Oh I have ultimate faith in a pair of Red A04's on a Duke. It's been in service since 2010 without any issues on various aircraft and has both FAA and JAA certification.

I just don't have the pockets for it.

:bang:

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2020, 21:01 

Post Likes: +5807
Company: Malco Power Design
Aircraft: 1976 Baron 58

Oh I have ultimate faith in a pair of Red A04's on a Duke. It's been in service since 2010 without any issues on various aircraft and has both FAA and JAA certification.

I just don't have the pockets for it.

:bang:

I'm hoping for a pair of EPSs on a P Baron. It'd be just about the perfect airplane for me.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2020, 15:10 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +424
Aircraft: 182P
My Audi 2.7T Twin Turbo engine went to 241k before it gave up the ghost....

Wow that’s great news for the raptor program. If he’s taxied 20 miles in his demo vids to date, we can look forward to years of taxi testing.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2020, 16:23 

Post Likes: +13296
Company: Midwest Chemtrails, LLC
Aircraft: C205
I have found my antidote for Raptor/Peter videos ... Scrappy/Patey is the antidote.

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2020, 16:39 

Post Likes: +13548
Aircraft: TU-104
I have found my antidote for Raptor/Peter videos ... Scrappy/Patey is the antidote.

I find Patey to be boring. First, he knows what he is doing. Second, he sticks to the old fashioned design first, then build second approach. There's no drama or excitement in that!

Also, I think the only way he gets so much done so fast is through cloning. I know there are at least two of him, likely more. It may or may not be illegal to clone yourself, but that is a moral grey area I am not quite ready to overlook.

Reply to topic  [ 4045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123 ... 270  Next