banner
banner

23 Apr 2024, 02:47 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 4045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118 ... 270  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Raptor Aircraft 5 Seat Pressurized 3,600 NM Range Die
PostPosted: 03 Jun 2020, 13:49 

Post Likes: +8779
Company: airlines (*CRJ,A320)
Aircraft: Travel Air,T-6B,etc*
Username Protected wrote:
[
I am genuinely worried that he’ll try to fly it himself, as-is.

And a lot of homebuilders are waaaaaaaay out of currency let alone current in a canard.

Indeed. Simple currency and currency in similar aircraft are hazard areas for first flights, and early flights, in the EAA Flight Advisor program.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2020, 14:11 

Post Likes: +11415
Aircraft: Cessna 185, RV-7
I think you guys are forgetting that Peter had a lot of “experts” and engineers working on this project in the design and build phase. Fact is they seem to have let him down.

Very likely. But if that's the case, it's at least partially a leadership problem. If this project were ever to succeed, one wonders what Peter's role would have been. It appears he isn't an engineer, a test pilot, a designer, a leader, or a venture capitalist.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2020, 14:15 

Post Likes: +556
Aircraft: C150
Remember folks
Clyde Cessna failed and quit after a death. His relatives revived it and modernized it. Lots of great things are learned from a failure.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2020, 14:18 

Post Likes: +2104
Aircraft: Lazarus - a B60 Duke
I think you guys are forgetting that Peter had a lot of “experts” and engineers working on this project in the design and build phase. Fact is they seem to have let him down.

Very likely. But if that's the case, it's at least partially a leadership problem. If this project were ever to succeed, one wonders what Peter's role would have been. It appears he isn't an engineer, a test pilot, a designer, a leader, or a venture capitalist.

There's a lot of people who do that.

I organize things where I'm only an end user with an idea, let the experts do their thing and only weigh in with design directions, then sell them when done.

This complex of an endeavor however, is likely not for that type of approach.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2020, 15:27 

Post Likes: +346
Aircraft: Looking for one

Peter admits he is not the right guy to design and build this prototype. But the money ran out and he is left to do what he can.

I had a project that I did with what I thought was the right Design team. The reality of my project was these guys tried to be too innovative and designed a bunch of stuff that worked great in the computer model but didn’t work in real life or wasn’t possible to even build. So I have had an experience like Peter is having. It’s very frustrating and he is doing what he can.

I admire Peter and it’s sad to see him continue to struggle with design issue that come from the beginning of the project. All the guys that said these things would work are long gone and got paid.

I think he is in a tough spot. Is it even possible to fix these issues and end up with a viable prototype? Even if so how can he turn it into a business with no capital. To go from working prototype to production is a huge amount of money and effort.

Mike

And if you read through the thread over on the honebuiltairplanes forum, you will see where several of those experts that helped him say that he wouldn’t listen to them.

He’s finding out the hard way that a design with this many goals Isn’t going to cost $130,000 at the end of the day. It’s going to take R&D, time and money. He’s down to himself, out of time and money

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2020, 16:03 

Post Likes: +1213
Aircraft: H35
He’s finding out the hard way that a design with this many goals Isn’t going to cost $130,000 at the end of the day. It’s going to take R&D, time and money. He’s down to himself, out of time and money

That's likely the biggest issue - he set some pretty lofty goals in a LOT of different dimensions. New/unproven powerplant, new airframe, somewhat new materials, pressurization...and some fairly optimistic performance goals on top of that.

It would've been better to take a proven airframe like the Velocity and work out the powerplant...then iterate. Would also show demonstrable progress in shorter timeframes. :shrug:

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2020, 16:48 

Post Likes: +1191
Aircraft: Velocity XL-RG

Mike

Who were these engineers?

The only other person I have heard about on this project is Jeff Kerlo.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2020, 22:26 

Post Likes: +10739
Aircraft: 1970 Baron B55
He’s talking about redesigning the elevator control and the time required. Mentions the engineering that will have to go into it to get it to work. He’s made it this far with out doing any engineering, why start now?

His concept of "engineering" differs significantly from mine. He also mentioned "cut and try" more than once and in my book that's not engineering, I'd call that "experimenting", a completely different process.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2020, 08:00 

Post Likes: +13583
Aircraft: TU-104
He is still so far disconnected from reality, I don’t understand what he is thinking. Even if it flies, he is going to have to build a new prototype incorporating massive changes before he can even think about viable kit production. Where does he plan to get money for that?

Also, how many failures is it going to take before he realizes his philosophy of trying the quickest easiest cheapest fix first is what is taking so long and costing so much. Design a proper control system FIRST and then build it.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2020, 09:03 

Heck, I still wouldn't own one unless and until he gets a dual channel FADEC for that engine and prop.

A single tuning computer with no backup is like flying around on one mag all the time. Eventually it's going to bite you.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2020, 09:10 

Post Likes: +22943
Aircraft: A33
That's crazy talk Rich
I have a single tunable chip in my old corvette and i can do 2, sometimes 3 trips all the way to town (11 miles) without an engine problem.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2020, 09:18 

That's crazy talk Rich
I have a single tunable chip in my old corvette and i can do 2, sometimes 3 trips all the way to town (11 miles) without an engine problem.

lol - nice.

I'm doing a 72 Convertible restomod and putting an EFI system on it that has its own laptop for tuning and hoping to do a *little* better than that but at least I can pull over and wait for my flatbed ride home.

:lol:

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2020, 14:57 

Post Likes: +1205
Company: Centurion LV and Eleusis
Aircraft: N45AF 501sp Eagle II

Mike

Who were these engineers?

The only other person I have heard about on this project is Jeff Kerlo.

I do not know the names but early on he had many guys helping that were "experts" I really doubt he just decided he would do all the design and engineering on his own, he admits he is not a designer. You think he designed the control system?

And it's easy for the guys that worked on it to say he would not listen. I am sure they are embarrassed by what they did and trying to save face. of course its all Peters fault (sarcasm)

Lots of guys design things in a computer that do not work in the real world then they blame everyone else. Did Peter use the 3d modeling to create the design? No, other people did.

I am not saying he is not to blame for much of this but as a leader I think he was let down by the guys he trusted.

On the FADEC. It is a single engine aircraft, there are many "single" points of failure. The aftermarket ECM is one of the most stable and reliable parts in that aircraft. If you wont fly a plane with a single FADEC then you should not fly a single at all.

Mike

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2020, 15:06 

Post Likes: +1191
Aircraft: Velocity XL-RG
There's a pretty big difference between an "expert" and an "engineer".

And while Kerlo may have been around airplanes for a while, he is definitely not an engineer. And I think expert is questionable.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2020, 16:45 

Post Likes: +704
Aircraft: 1963 Bonanza P35
Seems like I heard the name Mark mentioned in many of the videos. He was the main engineer I think. In the earlier videos I do remember them having others work on various parts of the design at times. This was all contracted out I assume. So no Peter is not the engineer and yes in the end he will get the blame for whatever this massive heavy thing turns out to be.

For others wondering about where he will get the money for the Raptor 2.0 that will need to be developed to incorporate all the changes. Remember once it flys all the money sitting in escrow right now drops into his bank account. $2000 per deposit is what was required I think. I can't remember how many deposits he took 1500-2,000 maybe? He stopped taking deposits at some point, but anyway thats a lot of cash... but its gotta fly first.

Reply to topic  [ 4045 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118 ... 270  Next