Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Cessna/Columbia 400
PostPosted: 24 Dec 2021, 09:10 

Post Likes: +272
Aircraft: Lancair Evolution
Username Protected wrote:
Got the chance to fly in one finally. There were a lot of things I liked and some that I didn't like. I was surprised at how little room there is. I'm only 5'11" and my hair was rubbing the ceiling the entire time. The control stick is so far forward that I had to slide the seat forward till I was almost bumping my knees into the dash. Even then, I had to reach for the stick. Not well placed IMO. Comparing to my Evo, the Evo is very well thought out and has amazing ergonomics in comparison.

I really wanted to be amazed by the airplane, but I have to say that I wasn't. Performance wise it delivered, but I just wasn't comfortable in the plane. If the Cirrus is worse than the 400, how are they selling so many???

Most likely you were flying in a very "forward" position on the seat. Do you have short legs and a long torso? I am 5'11" and find it to be extremely comfortable but I have long letgs. (33" inseam). If you have short legs (which is indicated to me by the fact you were pulling the seat so far forward that your knees touched) then the headroom would decrease as the seat rails move up as you move forward (and conversely of course the further back on the rails you are the more headroom you have). From where I fly its incredibly comfortable with the stick position absolutely perfect. I also fly with the medium thickness Oregon seat. The G36 Bonanza I had was MUCH less ergonomically pleasing.

Also do you fly "straight up" in the seat or do you have some recline in it. Perhaps its my attraction to Ferraris and such but I find the straight up position is EXTREMELY tiring in any form of vehicle so I never use it. This could also lead to a loss of headroom if you are using that.

No, I do not have short legs. I didn't move my seat forward because of my legs. I moved the seat forward because of where the stick was. I didn't want to fly with my arm fully extended.

I fly seated straight up. That's most comfortable to me. If I'm laying back, it just feels weird. I laugh about it because my brothers always say they are falling forward when they get in my seat, lol. I sent them a video from Recaro once on proper seat setup and it's exactly how I sit.

PostPosted: 24 Dec 2021, 15:41 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +782
Aircraft: Piaggio P180, TTx
Yep that's the issue, The TTx is meant to be flown more as a sports car driven set up.... seat slightly reclined arms fully extended or close to extended. At least thats my take on it. If you sit straight up you would lose headroom and put the stick at an awkward angle.

With that seating position you like you would LOVE the M2 :D

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2021, 14:57 

Post Likes: +1963
Aircraft: Columbia 400
I fly pretty much close to back straight up. Lower back doesn't like much recline in the seat back.

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2021, 11:45 

Yep that's the issue, The TTx is meant to be flown more as a sports car driven set up.... seat slightly reclined arms fully extended or close to extended. At least thats my take on it. If you sit straight up you would lose headroom and put the stick at an awkward angle.

Sports cars are meant to be driven reclined and arms extended... That's a new one to me... Something tells me that the opposite is true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnLKdubxRcI

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2021, 13:44 

WWW  Profile

Sports cars are meant to be driven reclined and arms extended... That's a new one to me... Something tells me that the opposite is true.

So I suppose you want to argue with someone thats raced 15 years in SCCA and in Ferrari Corsa Pilota level? Sitting bone straight up is for old women and blind people (J/K)....

The correct position is slightly reclined with arms fairly extended (but not all the way out of course) in the 9 and 3 position if you want to get technical according to Ferrari Corsa Pilota and Ferrari Challenge schools... no matter what Recaro says....

Anyway the fact you found the TTx uncomfortable to your position speaks to your particular seating desires but not to the vast opinions of those that fly them..

PostPosted: 27 Dec 2021, 15:18 

So I suppose you want to argue with someone thats raced 15 years in SCCA and in Ferrari Corsa Pilota level? Sitting bone straight up is for old women and blind people (J/K)....

The correct position is slightly reclined with arms fairly extended (but not all the way out of course) in the 9 and 3 position if you want to get technical according to Ferrari Corsa Pilota and Ferrari Challenge schools... no matter what Recaro says....

Anyway the fact you found the TTx uncomfortable to your position speaks to your particular seating desires but not to the vast opinions of those that fly them..

SCCA is great, but I've been around big time racers. It's what is comfortable to you ot a degree, but the vast majority that I know don't want extended arms while racing.

I don't sit bone straight up. Please see the video again to get an idea.

PostPosted: 31 Dec 2021, 22:50 

WWW  Profile

Its personal comfort.... I just think that the TTx is the most comfortable aircraft I have ever flown as a pilot. And many many people agree with me

PostPosted: 01 Jan 2022, 18:39 

Its personal comfort.... I just think that the TTx is the most comfortable aircraft I have ever flown as a pilot. And many many people agree with me

Couldn't agree more on personal comfort. My Evo is surprisingly comfortable. I know I'm going to miss it.

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2022, 20:06 

Post Likes: +10
Company: Gemini Aviation LLC
Aircraft: B-777, C-421C, F-33A
Anyone have access to a T240 (TTX) POH I can download please?

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2022, 00:31 

Post Likes: +4650

Couldn't agree more on personal comfort. My Evo is surprisingly comfortable. I know I'm going to miss it.

You just built that, why selling?

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2022, 09:51 

You just built that, why selling?

I need something bigger. My kids are growing and my wife packs the house when we travel :lol:

Reply to topic  [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9