banner
banner

19 Apr 2024, 14:09 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: CJ winglet certification obtained
PostPosted: 06 May 2016, 23:55 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7329
Company: Jet Acquisitions
:scratch:
Username Protected wrote:
I think he is saying the winglets only add 4 minutes... though they claim they add 45 minutes of range.

I know nothing of the subject at hand, I'm just asking you to recalculate your 1125%. :peace:

Math isn't my strong suit... not sure about Mike C. but probably. I was trying to say that Mike claims Tamarack exaggerated their numbers by 1125% or in other words they took 4 minutes and stretched into 45 minutes... :scratch:

Is that wrong or does that math work?

PostPosted: 07 May 2016, 00:02 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1879
Company: Jcrane, Inc.
Aircraft: C441, RV7A
Math isn't my strong suit... not sure about Mike C. but probably. I was trying to say that Mike claims Tamarack exaggerated their numbers by 1125% or in other words they took 4 minutes and stretched into 45 minutes... :scratch:

:D Let's just say yea and call it a day! :cheers:

PostPosted: 07 May 2016, 00:33 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1879
Company: Jcrane, Inc.
Aircraft: C441, RV7A

:D Let's just say yea and call it a day! :cheers:

I just realized your perspective. Yes, the math definitely works in that way!

PostPosted: 07 May 2016, 10:56 

Post Likes: +2854
Company: Looking
Aircraft: None
They never claim a difference on down range performance. Or on total mission.

Yes, they did.
Attachment:
endurance.jpeg

Attachment:
range.jpeg

Quote:
Still a misleading number, but likely accurate.

There is no possibility, under ANY circumstances, that the winglets allow 45 minutes more endurance, or increase range by 20%. The charts they provide are a lie.

They are praying on wishful thinking and lack of analytical skills. The data they provide is either fudged or has significant hidden biases not disclosed.

If I had 20,000 hours jet time, that would not change any of the above.

Mike C.

Mike C.,

Notice they are VERY selective on the charts. They state 1600 hours reported CJ experience; not Cessna book numbers. For the winglets, those are "book" numbers.

And they did not provide the numbers in the fashion you are calculating.

Tim

PostPosted: 07 May 2016, 10:58 

Post Likes: +2215
Aircraft: C525 BE40 D1K Waco
And exactly when did I say Cessna was deceptive?

Criticizing Cessna's numbers I am using.

However, you are basing your assessment on a flight planning guide (paper numbers - not actual data)

You now seem to be saying the paper numbers are correct. Given that, you should find my conclusions to be valid since they derive directly from Cessna. Those numbers show there is no possible way the winglets increase endurance by 45 minutes at MCT, thus exposing the Tamarack chart as deceptive.

Mike C.

Ok Mr. Wiki-Expert. I never criticized Cessna's numbers - I criticized your naive assumptions. The Cessna numbers you used are the FPG for the CJ1 - standard conditions - no wind.

Per the EOM for the CJ, at ISA a climb to FL410 takes 1:01 and consumes 863 lb. covering 363 nm.

If we adjust this for more realistic conditions at least in my neck of the woods:

ISA+10 this changes to 1:28 minutes, 1156 lbs and 458 nm
ISA+20 this changes to 2:59 minutes, 2124 lbs and 955 nm

You're a smart engineer - you can extrapolate for other conditions with these numbers. Now do you see how the hotter it gets, climbing to FL410 becomes not only impractical, but in some cases unfeasible.

Could the winglets perhaps yield a great improvement if they can help you get up to FL410 quicker or get up to FL410 at all in other than standard conditions? I say yes. This is actually the "if" we should focus on verifying for an aircraft with and without the winglets - if they really can assure climbs to FL410 in 30 minutes during hotter than standard conditions then they will make a big difference. How much? I don't know, but if it is the difference between cruising at FL350/370 and FL410, the fuel burn will go down by roughly 20%.

I know you have a very high opinion of your analytical skills, but sometimes you should have an open mind, listen and perhaps you could learn a thing or two. It would also help getting some stick time behind one of these before sharing your expert opinions on the subject.

PostPosted: 07 May 2016, 11:46 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23622
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
Notice they are VERY selective on the charts. They state 1600 hours reported CJ experience; not Cessna book numbers. For the winglets, those are "book" numbers.

And that would be how to hide unstated biases from view.

Quote:
And they did not provide the numbers in the fashion you are calculating.

In other words, not apples to apples.

Fundamentally, if you produce charts that show 45 minutes more endurance and 20% more range, you are promising that performance even if the chart was created with an intellectually dishonest, but yet data based, method.

The main claim is that winglets reduce fuel flow in the engine even at the same altitude.

From their press release:

JetPingu pilot Hugo Dobler, explains, ‘We selected the Tamarack Active Winglets because of the significant fuel savings and the increase in value for the aircraft. In addition, the extended range will allow us to offer our guests many more destinations beyond our current three‐hour limit. I am really looking forward to my first flight with winglets’.

That does not sound like a person expecting 3-5% improvement. I also think it is telling that he has yet to fly the winglet airplane.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 07 May 2016, 12:23 

WWW  Profile

I never criticized Cessna's numbers - I criticized your naive assumptions.

You mean Cessna's assumptions of ISA for their FPG?

That's why ISA exists, to give everybody a nominal reference for performance.

Do you mean to say the entire industry is making naive assumptions?

If anything, the people who believe in this mod are the naive ones, I am the skeptic.

Quote:
if they really can assure climbs to FL410 in 30 minutes during hotter than standard conditions then they will make a big difference.

Exactly how big a difference will it be? 45 more minutes and 20% more range is a HUGE promise well outside the plausible range for winglets. That's in "snake oil" territory.

I understand you want to believe this mod works as advertised because you have an underpowered airplane in need of help in the high flight levels. Wishing doesn't make it so, unfortunately.

The winglets WILL help the performance of the airplane. No doubt about that. The only argument is by how much, and if the price is worth it.

PS: Cut out the name calling and ad hominem stuff. Contributes nothing to the discussion.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 07 May 2016, 12:35 

Post Likes: +3298
Aircraft: C182P, Merlin IIIC
Interesting tidbit on winglets from wiki.

Learjet exhibited the prototype Learjet 28 at the 1977 National Business Aviation Association convention. The Model 28 prototype employed the first winglets ever used on a jet and a production aircraft, either civilian or military. Learjet developed the winglet design without NASA assistance. Although the Model 28 was intended to be a prototype experimental aircraft, performance was so impressive that it resulted in a production commitment from Learjet. Flight tests, made with and without winglets, showed that the winglets increased range by about 6.5 percent and also improved directional stability. Learjet's application of winglets to production aircraft continued with newer models including the Learjet 55, 31, 60, 45, and Learjet 40.

Direct testing showing in 6.5 % more range with winglets.

PostPosted: 07 May 2016, 13:45 

Post Likes: +2215
Aircraft: C525 BE40 D1K Waco
Erwin - I don't know of a Learjet that ever had trouble getting up to altitude even on hot days. On the CJ, if you couple the 6.5% advantage with assuring climb to altitude on hot days, the improvement gets better.

However, arguing with Mike in circles accomplishes nothing. Mike's never flown a CJ but is somehow an expert from reading a generic planning guide. Whatever.

PS: Cut out the name calling and ad hominem stuff. Contributes nothing to the discussion.

Good point. Perhaps you could use this advice.

PostPosted: 07 May 2016, 15:06 

WWW  Profile

I don't know of a Learjet that ever had trouble getting up to altitude even on hot days.

Even the ones without winglets. They are not underpowered like a CJ for the most part.

Quote:
Mike's never flown a CJ but is somehow an expert from reading a generic planning guide.

The FPG is not generic, it is specific to CJ1.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 07 May 2016, 15:15 

Post Likes: +3026
Aircraft: SR22;CJ2+;C510
Interesting tidbit on winglets from wiki.

Learjet exhibited the prototype Learjet 28 at the 1977 National Business Aviation Association convention. The Model 28 prototype employed the first winglets ever used on a jet and a production aircraft, either civilian or military. Learjet developed the winglet design without NASA assistance. Although the Model 28 was intended to be a prototype experimental aircraft, performance was so impressive that it resulted in a production commitment from Learjet. Flight tests, made with and without winglets, showed that the winglets increased range by about 6.5 percent and also improved directional stability. Learjet's application of winglets to production aircraft continued with newer models including the Learjet 55, 31, 60, 45, and Learjet 40.

Direct testing showing in 6.5 % more range with winglets.

You are comparing apples with cucumbers.

Learjets have a very different wing then a Citation. The performance change winglets give on a Lear wing design have no relationship to how a winglet may perform on a CJ wing.

PostPosted: 07 May 2016, 18:14 

Post Likes: +3298
Aircraft: C182P, Merlin IIIC

You are comparing apples with cucumbers.

Learjets have a very different wing then a Citation. The performance change winglets give on a Lear wing design have no relationship to how a winglet may perform on a CJ wing.

I realize the aircraft are very different, what I found interesting was the measured difference being very close to what Mike estimated.

Hopefully the winglets will be as big an improvement as is claimed. I am interested to see the range of conditions where the winglets can actually eliminate the step climb.

Eliminating the step climb is a big deal, I need no convincing of that.

PostPosted: 07 May 2016, 21:52 

Post Likes: +15
Aircraft: Cessna 172, Lear 31A
This was today in the Lear 31A. ISA plus 10. Full fuel and 3 passengers and climbed to FL450 in 26 minutes (15500 lb takeoff). No level off required. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I love the citation 500/525 line but there's some things they just won't do. :popcorn: :werd:

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

Ben

PostPosted: 08 May 2016, 03:16 

Post Likes: +116
Aircraft: DGA-15P, C140A
How threads devolve (evolve?) on BT...

[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMz7JBRbmNo[/YouTube]

PostPosted: 08 May 2016, 10:32 

Post Likes: +2854
Company: Looking
Aircraft: None
Mike C.

We mostly agree, and stated the charts are misleading.
But you call it fraud, I call it marketing and slimy (often the same thing).

Tim

Reply to topic  [ 216 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 15  Next