Post subject: Re: This is a Beautiful & Interesting Plane! Cobalt Valkyri
PostPosted: 13 Nov 2015, 18:11 

Post Likes: +101
Company: Aero Teknic Inc.
Aircraft: MU-2B-60, SR22,C182Q
Username Protected wrote:
This thing is incredible
I wish I could afford it

Nothing incredible. The performance claims are doubtful.

As far as I know the only flight attempt resulted in a gear collapse at CYBG a few years ago. The canopy is ridiculous, the rear egress is doubtful.

Zero chance of making any sales versus Cirrus and the TTx.

Lack of credibility on various levels. Does not pass the sniff test. Very little progress in the past 5 years anyhow.

-Pascal

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2015, 04:52 

Post Likes: +44
Aircraft: 6329R PA 28
Well,,,,
I was sure this seemed familiar, though maybe a completely different designer/ builder!

http://www.raptor-aircraft.com/news.html

All composite carbon fiber design. All of these images are clickable so you can use them as

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2015, 08:28 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1462
Company: Stonehouse Supply,Inc.
Aircraft: Van's RV-14A
Well,,,,
I was sure this seemed familiar, though maybe a completely different designer/ builder!

All composite carbon fiber design. All of these images are clickable so you can use them as

Interesting De-Ice concept http://www.raptor-aircraft.com/features/deicing.html

"De-Icing

In yet another innovation first, the Raptor will be equipped with the first 'Always On', and 'Better than Free to Operate' de-icing system for the diesel and Adept versions.

How, you ask? Well, we have a diesel engine that is generating a lot of heat. It's normally water cooled and we decided that all that heat was going to be wasted and worse off we would have to cool it with outside air which creates cooling drag.

So, we have come up with a simple, yet ingenious, solution (thanks Tan for your brilliance, as usual). We are going to create a closed loop system of small diameter stainless steel tubing that is embedded into the leading edges of the main wing and fore plane, the leading edge of the air intake as well as the aircraft nose. This loop will pull heat from the engine radiator using a heat exchanger. It will be always on, running very low pressure with a small pump to drive it. It will be filled with a solution containing anti-freeze.

There will be dual loops with outbounds on the leading edge and top of the wing and returns on the leading edge and bottom of the wing. This should prevent any runback situation. We will have more details and diagrams later on showing the configuration.

The system will also be thermostatically controlled in order to prevent overheating in warmer conditions.

There will also be another air heat exchanger in the nose just in front of the windshield that we can blow air through that will exit in small vents in front of the windshield in order to provide de-icing for it. This air heat exchanger will be connected to a similar loop coming from the same heat exchanger pulling heat from the engine radiator.

In the wing tanks that are inside the wing strakes we will not only have the stainless tubing built into the leading edges of the strake but we'll also have it inside the tanks with the purpose of keeping the fuel warm. This way you can run regular diesel or jet fuel without adding any Prist in order to prevent the fuel from thickening in the cold temperatures found at altitude.

With this system we get the following benefits:

1. Initial cost is very low as the parts required are readily available
2. Installation is straight-forward
3. Does not disrupt the air flow on the critical leading edges of the wings unlike pneumatic boots
4. Does not use any horsepower to operate unlike electric de-ice strips that require a large alternator
5. Does not require constant top-ups or create a mess like glycol systems
6. Is always on thereby preventing ice from ever forming
7. Actually improves the efficiency of the aircraft by reducing the cooling drag by dissipating engine heat out through surfaces that are already being cooled by the oncoming air
8. Does not cost anything to operate and given that we'll probably pick up a couple of knots from reduced cooling drag it will actually 'pay' you.

So, all in all we'd call this a Win, Win, Win. Even if you never fly in icing conditions you will still benefit from this system by way of better efficiency through reduced cooling drag.

This is yet another example of why it's still a good thing that we're still finalizing all the aspects of the design as these ideas and innovations just keep coming.

For the propellor we will likely require a de-icing boot although the heat from the exhaust and the remaining hot air from the cooling system will be directed over the prop in order to minimize the need for a boot.

The Raptor is truly going to be the state of the art in general aviation!

For the turboprop version:

The engine exhaust blows directly on the prop in much the same way as it does on the Piaggio Avanti so de-ice boots are not required on the prop for a turboprop. We are considering the idea of extracting some of the exhaust heat using a shroud to use the same closed loop system as the diesel for de-icing on the surfaces.

If this is not feasible we will be using an electrically heated lip on the engine intake and also use engine bleed air on the external windshield. The option exists to use electrically heated leading edges or better yet de-ice boots on the wing and canard, the additional cost would be about $15,000. We will consider this depending on demand. We will also be considering different options for heating the nose of the aircraft.

The Raptor will not initially be certified for known icing. "

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2015, 09:23 

Post Likes: +13064
Aircraft: PC12NG
I love it. Love it's a retract too.

But that parachute sells the Cirrus. If I was in the market for a new piston plane it would be a Cirrus.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2015, 09:27 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1462
Company: Stonehouse Supply,Inc.
Aircraft: Van's RV-14A
I love it. Love it's a retract too.

But that parachute sells the Cirrus. If I was in the market for a new piston plane it would be a Cirrus.

Jason, the Raptor has a chute.

http://www.raptor-aircraft.com/features ... chute.html

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2015, 09:28 

Post Likes: +13064
Aircraft: PC12NG

I'm talking about the Cobalt Valkyrie. The one you started the thread about. Or are they the same thing?

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2015, 10:25 

Post Likes: +5224
Aircraft: 1961 Cessna 172
There's no way i want a liquid cooled diesel with 200 feet of radiator tubing to leak. Bad idea. They should just use air.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2015, 10:26 

Post Likes: +17159
Aircraft: Baron, 180,195,J-3
I think they are being very optimistic. :bugeye:

Where would you, in this day and age, find a pilot and four passengers that only weighed 766#? :lol:

Jgreen

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2015, 10:29 

Post Likes: +1608
Aircraft: T-210M Aeronca 7AC
I've heard that it makes as much sense putting a water cooled engine in an airplane as it does putting an air cooled engine in a submarine.

Just sayin.....

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2015, 10:38 

Post Likes: +311
Aircraft: CCSS: N3YC
I've heard that it makes as much sense putting a water cooled engine in an airplane as it does putting an air cooled engine in a submarine.

Just sayin.....

Yeah, those P-51's, Spitfires, P-38's...oh, and the Me 109's...were just senseless...

:peace: Just being a smartass...

Jim

Apalachicola, FL

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2015, 10:53 

Post Likes: +12360
Aircraft: B55 PII,F-1,L-2,OTW,
The reasons for water cooling include the ability to much more tightly manage engine temperatures. This allows building an engine with tighter tolerances.

It also allows for much more efficient cooling designs. The cooling system on the Mustang uses the Meredith effect to recover engine heat as thrust supposedly adds 15 horsepower. This made the Mustang the first fighter that could follow the bombers all the way to Berlin, and that changed the game in the air war over Europe...

Another advantage of being able to control temperatures allows the use of anti-wear chemistry in the engine oil. The RR Merlin does not have adequate temperature control to allow the use of these chemistries, but the lowly Rotax 912/914 does and the Military runs the bottom end of those engines 7000 hours in drones.

Sadly the Continental Voyager engines were never fully developed into a viable engine. In theory the addition of modern engine oil chemistry to aircraft engines could double or triple TBO.....

With all that said, the single largest cause of on road engine failures in Class 8 trucks are cooling system failures.... And so when flying the P-51, anytime you are not thinking about the cooling system, you are not doing your job. If the cooling system fails you are about 120 seconds from being a 175 mph glider with a 15 to 1 ratio...

At 4 miles per minute that's 8 miles with power (if you catch it early) and then 2.5 to 3 miles per 1000 feet of altitude above the 3000 AGL high key. If you think about it, that is an area bigger than the President's TFR if you're cruising in the mid-teens. But flying X/C under a 1500 overcast, you're probably going to engage in some agricultural tillage...

The Mustang would be the perfect airplane if it had a P&W-2800... ;-)

Be Nice, Kind, I don't care, be something, just don't be a jerk ;-)

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2015, 11:54 

Post Likes: +503
Aircraft: Debonair C33-IO550
Well,,,,

I realize at this point in their process most of the Raptor info is marketing hype, but if even close to correct, it will be a very cool airplane!

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2015, 15:59 

Post Likes: +5595
Aircraft: Prusinski'ing
I wish there were more pressurized experimentals. The lancairs don't appeal to me... well, the Evo appeals to me, just not to my pocketbook.

The fact that they needed to empty the seats to bolster their speed claims lost me on the Valkyrie. Shame, I really like the tail. For 700K, though... yeah even I'd get a Cirrus over that.

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2015, 19:48 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +828
Aircraft: TBM850

I'm talking about the Cobalt Valkyrie. The one you started the thread about. Or are they the same thing?

Valkyrie has a chute, too.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2015, 19:38 

Post Likes: +6969
So I clicked "pre-order" expecting to see a sales contract for the position. Nope...just enter your credit card and click buy.. Really?

https://www.cobalt-aircraft.com/checkout/

Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next