banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 13:50 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 677 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Turbo Commander
PostPosted: 02 May 2017, 11:49 

Post Likes: +279
Aircraft: TC690A
Username Protected wrote:
I guess I was giving them too much credit, if they missed the items in the nose.

The down time is really going to suck.

We haven't been in the plane yet to verify everything yet, waiting on the Surrey police forensics folks to do their work, still.
Yeah had long talk with the avionics fellow today, doing a bit of speculating and considering likely work which this is going to require. Initial guesstimate is that this is going to be at least one month of work or them. The only bit we know for sure is that there's going to be a lot of rewiring.
Once I'm done dealing with insurance and other stuff, maybe this free time will get me to finally my helicopter certificate.

PostPosted: 02 May 2017, 11:52 

Post Likes: +2048
Company: Naples Jet Center
Aircraft: EMB500 AC95 AEST
So Patrick, a friend of mine just called looking for an escrow company because he found a GTN750 for a fraction of the market price and he was worried about wiring the money for obvious reasons. Now I'm not sure what the chances are, but the radio seller is supposed to be in London, England! You might want to get those serial numbers handy . . .

PostPosted: 02 May 2017, 12:08 

So Patrick, a friend of mine just called looking for an escrow company because he found a GTN750 for a fraction of the market price and he was worried about wiring the money for obvious reasons. Now I'm not sure what the chances are, but the radio seller is supposed to be in London, England! You might want to get those serial numbers handy . . .

He may find himself unable to update the databases, my understanding is that's what happens for these once they are reported to Garmin as stolen.

PostPosted: 07 May 2017, 13:55 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23612
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
Patrick,

I know the feeling, had a similar thing happen to me, someone broke in and still the instrument panel (literally the metal plate with instruments attached). They left behind the really good stuff remotely mounted, but stole cheap things like a VSI, altimeter. It was a Piper Comanche, so not in the same class, but I ended up settling the insurance and buying another plane, selling the carcass outright. New owner bought it and redid the whole panel, so he felt like he got a pretty good deal, too.

I have preliminary designs for an aircraft alarm system. Basically, any time someone is in the cabin of the airplane, it sends a text message to your cell. You can set it to fire off a strobe or siren if you don't text back in a few minutes. It also had a GPS and would report aircraft location if moved.

I've never brought it to market because that really isn't my business, but maybe someday it will happen.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 07 May 2017, 14:05 

Post Likes: +7927
Company: Minister of Pith
Aircraft: Piper PA28/140
Does Garmin maintain a public database of reported stolen avionics?

PostPosted: 07 May 2017, 14:26 

Thanks Mike

It sounds like a good idea, unfortunately I suspect the size of the market is pretty small, so seems probably like something commercially unviable. I'm dealing with insurance on this and the unfortunate thing is that my UK policy has a pretty large deductible and this is going to requite quite a bit of re-wiring and work. It won't be a write-off or anything but it's going to be a good bit of time.

PostPosted: 07 May 2017, 19:03 

Post Likes: +49
Aircraft: None
Patrick,

I have preliminary designs for an aircraft alarm system. Basically, any time someone is in the cabin of the airplane, it sends a text message to your cell. You can set it to fire off a strobe or siren if you don't text back in a few minutes. It also had a GPS and would report aircraft location if moved.

I've never brought it to market because that really isn't my business, but maybe someday it will happen.

Mike C.

This concept exists in the boat/yacht market. Gost is one of the companies. I see their basic system on boats priced from $150k (i.e., relatively cheap) and up. Not sure how applicable, but basically you can have your boat text you and record images if someone enters (thermal, etc. too) and then tracked if it's moved. Not a perfect analogue, but boats often have between $20 and $150k in electronics, the pace of new technology is obviously much faster than for planes (I'm talking MFD's, radar improvements, sonar improvements, etc). It's kind of neat, some of the stuff Garmin comes out with for a boat ends up in a plane several years later.

Stealing boats, stripping them, or just stealing electronics and engines and tenders is a big deal in south FL.

I would imagine an issue is any kind of installation / paperwork / stc required - did you look into that? Was it a system you could install with just a 337?

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017, 04:34 

Post Likes: +2
Aircraft: B300
I was thinking of Patrick 's problem when I've read this article this morning :tape:

" £100,000 of plane engines stolen in over night break in"

http://www.devonlive.com/100-00-of-plane-engines-stolen-in-over-night-break-in/story-30389896-detail/story.html

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017, 05:02 

I was thinking of Patrick 's problem when I've read this article this morning :tape:

" £100,000 of plane engines stolen in over night break in"

http://www.devonlive.com/100-00-of-plane-engines-stolen-in-over-night-break-in/story-30389896-detail/story.html

That looks terrible. It seems opportunists are realizing the minimal to non-existent nature of security at the UK's small airfields.
The lower cost and greater convenience of using these airfields may be outweighed by the risk that your airplane gets destroyed overnight. If this is a trend, I expect insurers may begin raising rates for aircraft based at less secure airports.
My repairs are looking to be more than the value of those stolen airplane engines, and some parts are proving difficult to locate... it's not the new stuff or necessarily expensive stuff, e.g., the Collins 106 autopilot annunciator panel. It's a perfectly functional autopilot but that little panel with lights in it is proving hard to track down due to the length of time it has been out of production. It's not a regular consumable for the fleet, like lot's of other parts which have proven pretty easy to find. And some of the original engine gauges... it's stuff that it seems I'm effectively relying on someone else to have parted out a Turbo Commander. Overall, in my limited experience of owning the plane, I've been pleasantly surprised at the quality of support and availability of parts for the type overall but, should you find yourself in the unusual situation I'm in, where somebody broke stuff that usually lasts the life of the aircraft, that it seems it may take a bit of time to locate those parts. The repair process is taking longer than I would have hoped due to the insurers having to sign off on the cost but they need to have a good idea of the full cost, which requires prices on some of these parts... so work has not yet begun. I'm really looking forward to getting flying again soon. I have been doing some travel that the utility of the aircraft would have really made quite easy, instead I'm wasting time and energy getting around in more complicated fashion.
The ratio of the cost to repair relative to what the value of the stolen bits may have achieved for the thief/thieves seems extraordinarily high. Overall, a frustrating situation. Rant over...

PostPosted: 16 Jun 2017, 12:31 

Post Likes: +926
Aircraft: Aero Commander 980
What's the security like at these airports? Is it non-existent? It not like these crimes are done quickly!

I have not found parts for my Commander hard to come by. Twin commander can normally either source the part or has a STC for a replacement.

The annuciator panel should not be to difficult to locate, it is a common piece.

Have you considered upgrading to a digital AP. The cost might not make it worth it. It would depend on what the insurance is willing to pay to get the Collins AP running.

The STEC 2100 would look nice in that panel of yours!

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2017, 18:03 

What's the security like at these airports? Is it non-existent? It not like these crimes are done quickly!

I have not found parts for my Commander hard to come by. Twin commander can normally either source the part or has a STC for a replacement.

The annuciator panel should not be to difficult to locate, it is a common piece.

Have you considered upgrading to a digital AP. The cost might not make it worth it. It would depend on what the insurance is willing to pay to get the Collins AP running.

The STEC 2100 would look nice in that panel of yours!

Steve, the security is basically nothing. At night, you could hop over a 2 1/2 foot high fence, or just open up the gate (if you are willing to ignore the stern signage) and walk out into the airport, e.g., at night. The field is dead at night and there was a carnival going on up the road on the weekend when this happened. I was parked outside. The advantage of the airfield is the ease of entry and egress, and the proximity to the west side of London, where I've been living. I'm blaming it it on the carny folks...
Just got insurance sign off to get things fixed, finally. Hoping it doesn't take too long. The wait took long enough that my props are now due... which should be much simpler than the rest of the fixes. Can't wait to be flying again, I have a long list of destinations.

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2017, 19:14 

Post Likes: +926
Aircraft: Aero Commander 980
Good luck with the avionics work. You do have the opportunity to fly to some very cool places.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2017, 20:30 

Post Likes: +20
Aircraft: Turbo Commander
[quote="Adam S Frisch] Bump a little: someone mentioned the -10's in the 690's as somewhat limited by cabin pressurization. Anybody care to elaborate?[/quote]

Think what they're referring to is that cabin diff is a little on the lower side. It's 5.2psi, so at FL280 have about a 11000ft cabin. The engines are not a problem. In fact, on the later 6.7psi models the same Dash 10 goes to FL350, no problem.[/quote]

Cabin diff is structurally limited by the large picture window. The 5.4 birds are 690, A, B, C and 695 (true -10 aka 980). The "big cabin" planes have the higher psid; 690D (-5), 695A, B. These are easily discerned by the smaller and more uniformly sized windows. In practice the -5 planes struggle to make psid at higher altitudes because they flow less air through the motor ergo less bleed air to overcome those pesky leaky cabins. The -10T (690 series)mod helped somewhat but was not a silver bullet. Of course there is more to it but this is a general outline.

Just a bit more for your consumption:
All 690 were born with -5
A
B
C (840)
D (900)

All 695 were born with true -10 which includes the SRL
695 (980)
A (1000)
B (1000)

* the -10T mod is applicable to the -5 birds by swapping out the first T-wheel and making a few other adjustments, no SRL since the base motor is still a -5

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2017, 20:58 

Post Likes: +20
Aircraft: Turbo Commander
The TBO and the -10 conversion are two different animals. You can have a -5 with a 5000 hr TBO or a 5400 TBO.

The big difference is the -10 airplane is over 300 kts... oddly the -10 conversions are typically faster than the factory -10 airplanes.

huh?

A "-10 conversion"; known as the -10T, is a converted -5 on a 690. A "factory -10" is a true TPE331-10 making higher horsepower on the 695 airframe. There are some fast -10T birds out there but as a breed the 695 are faster.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2017, 21:17 

Post Likes: +2048
Company: Naples Jet Center
Aircraft: EMB500 AC95 AEST
So Patrick, what's the latest? Is it fixed? Any leads on the thieves? Is there any way to eventually find the radio with Garmin's help?

Reply to topic  [ 677 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next