25 Apr 2024, 14:08 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: MU2-N inspection costs
PostPosted: 14 Oct 2015, 14:34 

Post Likes: +204
Aircraft: Aerostar 601p/700
I am in Port Richey, Florida. North of Tampa.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2015, 15:00 

Post Likes: +86
Aircraft: C421B MU2-40 Solitai
My understanding is that the prop AD was about cracks in the old style hubs. There have been zero cracks in the new hubs. The MU2 group asked Hartzell to remove the AD and they refused. This was expected because Hartzell is profiting from this archaic AD. Our wonderful owners who obtained the AMOC are working with the FAA to remove the AD altogether. Unfortunately this will take a few years to complete. The FAA has asked the owners to compile the AD test results as the inspections are performed.

Last edited on 14 Oct 2015, 17:43, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 14 Oct 2015, 15:47 

Post Likes: +297
Aircraft: V35B
Username Protected wrote:
I need to get a ride in an MU2 and see how it flies.

A great option for this is the sims at SimCom Orlando. It isn't the "real" airplane (and the sim deviates from reality in a few places, the real airplane is a LOT easier to fly), but you get to experience the full range of behaviors.

I went to the sim to test my ability to fly an MU2. Afterward, my MU2 thinking went from "well, maybe, someday" to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2O7rZTBs7w

"I gotta get me one of these!"

I am pretty sure you can call SimCom and arrange a few hours in the sim with an instructor for a familiarization flight.

Where are you located? I might know an MU2 operator near you.

Mike C.

Love the video!

Mike, I'm following this thread as well and just called SimCom Orlando. (I live here) They only offer 6 day or 9 day full training (for experienced or new, low time turbine pilots) at current pricing of 14.8 AMU. :bugeye: Course satisfies SFAR? requirements.

Any way, tks for the suggestion.

Best regards,

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2015, 16:24 

Post Likes: +489
Aircraft: C441 Conquest II
Jerry,

Your best bet would be to link up with an MU-2 owner and actually see or fly in the plane. When I was first looking, I flew out to Nashville and met with Reece Howell (an MU-2 instructor and possibly the highest time MU-2 pilot in the world). I sat in on part of an initial ground school and then went flying with Reece. Came away convinced (a) the plane is safe to fly if you are properly trained and (b) I had to get one! He also typically has a number of short and long-body models there for maintenance or training so it gives you a chance to compare them.

All the day cost me was the cost of a plane ticket to/from Nashville....

You can reach Reece at www.mu2b.com (I have no financial interest).

Dave

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2015, 15:05 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1781
Company: D&M Leasing Houston
Aircraft: CitationV/C180
Not saying I'm interested in MU2's as I think they are the most obnoxious a/c on the ground as just about anything I ever heard.

However, just poking around I noticed this one.

http://www.controller.com/listingsdetai ... 383583.htm

I understand that there's about 1,000 hrs left before an engine overhaul is due but at 100-150 hrs / yr, that would be quite awhile yet. I also see that some of the inspections mentioned above could be due but those don't seem like real high $$ items.

What else am I missing? Is it realistic to think one could buy something like this and immediately begin flying it or is it likely to have a lot of high $$ catch up mx required?

Looking at some of the recent flight history, it appears to be flown regularly but the highest altitude flight I can find is only 19K ft. If you're on a 2-3 hour flight, why would you take it higher? Does this particular model run out of juice at 20K ft?

I have flown this very plane and I can tell you its fully operational and ready to go.

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2015, 21:45 

Not saying I'm interested in MU2's as I think they are the most obnoxious a/c on the ground as just about anything I ever heard.

However, just poking around I noticed this one.

http://www.controller.com/listingsdetai ... 383583.htm

I understand that there's about 1,000 hrs left before an engine overhaul is due but at 100-150 hrs / yr, that would be quite awhile yet. I also see that some of the inspections mentioned above could be due but those don't seem like real high $$ items.

What else am I missing? Is it realistic to think one could buy something like this and immediately begin flying it or is it likely to have a lot of high $$ catch up mx required?

Looking at some of the recent flight history, it appears to be flown regularly but the highest altitude flight I can find is only 19K ft. If you're on a 2-3 hour flight, why would you take it higher? Does this particular model run out of juice at 20K ft?

I have flown this very plane and I can tell you its fully operational and ready to go.

Listing is gone....somebody jumped on it. :)

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2015, 10:58 

WWW  Profile

Yep, confirmed with seller it's gone. Great deal. Hard to recreate that one.

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2015, 22:20 

Post Likes: +45
Aircraft: KA 350/ EMB505
It was purchased by a fellow bt member

PostPosted: 17 Oct 2015, 23:23 

Post Likes: +929
Aircraft: B55 P2 & 210
A good friend of mine was the pilot for the previous owner 13 years ago. He said it was a great F model.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2015, 21:11 

WWW  Profile

It was purchased by a fellow bt member

Will he be announcing?

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2015, 10:10 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23622
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
Mike, I'm following this thread as well and just called SimCom Orlando. (I live here) They only offer 6 day or 9 day full training (for experienced or new, low time turbine pilots) at current pricing of 14.8 AMU. :bugeye:

The general people who answer the phone don't know about off menu items.

Contact the Simcom Orlando Training Center Manager, John Warnk, to discuss this specific request. See if you can arrange Tim Keller as the instructor. Tim spoke with John about doing a demo flight in the sim and he says this will be no problem to arrange.

I will be at Simcom from Feb 17-20 doing an SFAR recurrent. I'm sure we can arrange a way you could observe if you like. You can learn a lot just by watching. We can even go flying in my plane if you want a taste of the real thing.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2015, 13:39 

Post Likes: +767
Aircraft: 737
Mike, I'm following this thread as well and just called SimCom Orlando. (I live here) They only offer 6 day or 9 day full training (for experienced or new, low time turbine pilots) at current pricing of 14.8 AMU. :bugeye:

The general people who answer the phone don't know about off menu items.

Contact the Simcom Orlando Training Center Manager, John Warnk, to discuss this specific request. See if you can arrange Tim Keller as the instructor. Tim spoke with John about doing a demo flight in the sim and he says this will be no problem to arrange.

I will be at Simcom from Feb 17-20 doing an SFAR recurrent. I'm sure we can arrange a way you could observe if you like. You can learn a lot just by watching. We can even go flying in my plane if you want a taste of the real thing.

Mike C.

...and that is exactly how everyone I've met in the MU2 community rolls. I don't even know Mike and the one time I had an issue with mine and got stuck in Orlando for a night (it was about 300 hours ago in December of last year, a few weeks after I bought it) he analyzed data I sent him and talked (emailed anyway) me through it. You're not just buying an airplane, you're buying the group.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2015, 18:06 

Mike C.[/quote]

...and that is exactly how everyone I've met in the MU2 community rolls. I don't even know Mike and the one time I had an issue with mine and got stuck in Orlando for a night (it was about 300 hours ago in December of last year, a few weeks after I bought it) he analyzed data I sent him and talked (emailed anyway) me through it. You're not just buying an airplane, you're buying the group.[/quote]

Gentlemen:

Agreed! My early contacts within the community thus far have been nothing but top drawer.

David K was very generous w/ his time on the phone w/ me the other night and referenced a few good contacts to help me in my learning curve uptake. He also got me hooked up in the Mu2 forum which I'm slowly absorbing. Learning nuances of the type, maintenance schedules and tips, sources of training, where parts and pieces can be located is what I'm all about before getting to into a purchase. After the A*, my current steed (B36) is outstanding in handling, w/ robust, reliable construction, but it is a bit limited in capability. Too spoiled,- I guess.

Mike, thanks again, I'll call Simcom back w/ the new info- and if I'm in Florida at that time, I'll surely make the time to meet & greet and maybe take a rear position behind you in the sim if I haven't gotten there 1st! Sounds good to me...

Craig, thanks for confirming just what I've seen so far. Looking forward to more.

BTW, the more due diligence I get done, the more efficient, particularly w/ operational costs I'm finding the Mits is over say a -21,-28 Pratt in the typical C or E90. KA owners may disagree... My shop is VERY familiar w/ the KA types and of course, are wanting me to go that way. Seems to me even the F model Mits is a better performing/ efficient mount than the KA (I'll get lots of flak from that comment) :hide: But my guess is there are a lot more used Pratts out there than Garretts when the time comes to decide on OVHL or swap a used engine w/ time left back in....that's probably the big Plus +1 for the KA, which I also think is a great aircraft (who am I to question its huge success)..

Hanger space pricing alone is 1/2 for the Mits w/ a 39 wing vs. 51+ for KA, which is priced @ about double at my home field.

Best regards,

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2015, 21:18 

Post Likes: +3811
Aircraft: Piaggio Avanti
BTW, the more due diligence I get done, the more efficient, particularly w/ operational costs I'm finding the Mits is over say a -21,-28 Pratt in the typical C or E90. ... Seems to me even the F model Mits is a better performing/ efficient mount than the KA

Yes, Mits will get you a lot more performance, more efficiently, than a KA. Not that a KA isn't a good airplane, but the Mits is more of a performer. Garretts have substantially better fuel specifics than PT6 (i.e. HP per pound of fuel used).

Quote:
Hanger space pricing alone is 1/2 for the Mits w/ a 39 wing vs. 51+ for KA, which is priced @ about double at my home field.

This is also true, though beware that the T-hangar limiting dimension is typically the distance from back of wing tip tank to front of nose. A short body Mits will need 20' in this T dimension for a T hangar, and that's pretty bare minimum.

Other than that it's very space efficient. In fact, I have a large-ish "half-T" hangar that happens to have doors on both sides, and I have a hangar partner with a TBM850. We get the Mits in the smaller side, the TBM in the larger side (H-tails overlap because TBM tail is high and Mits tail is low) and still have room to store my boat for the winter. His airplane has a somewhat larger footprint than mine and his V-stab is taller - and has less interior room. Mits is very space efficient except for the tip tank thing.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2015, 11:21 

Post Likes: +1
Aircraft: PA-32/301
Flown in Monday morning, flies out Friday afternoon. That is IJSC schedule. They do whatever it takes to make that schedule, if possible.

Ok, potentially dumb question: would you fly the airplane there on Monday, airline home, then airline back the following Friday or Monday to pick it up?

I'm spoiled in that my shop is on the field so they just tow the plane from my hangar to their and fix whatever's broke then put it back. My 210 was maintained remotely and that worked but it was a bit of a pain to move the airplane whenever it needed something...

Robert

Guys like us can work remotely... I'd just stay there and get some work done.... With the added side benefit that you can go check on things and get a little education on the maintenance if you stick around :-)

Glenn

Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next