Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: MU2-N inspection costs
PostPosted: 24 Oct 2015, 11:30 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23622
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
Username Protected wrote:
With the added side benefit that you can go check on things and get a little education on the maintenance if you stick around

Not to mention being around to affect the cost of maintenance, not only because you know more, but because you are there to affect decisions being made.

When I had my plane being maintained in Tulsa, I left it there most of the time. In the about 5 times I did that, I only had to airline once. Most of the time I could find another pilot coming or going that I could hitch a ride with, and then I would give them a ride when able.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2015, 11:50 

Post Likes: +297
Aircraft: V35B
With the added side benefit that you can go check on things and get a little education on the maintenance if you stick around

Not to mention being around to affect the cost of maintenance, not only because you know more, but because you are there to affect decisions being made.

When I had my plane being maintained in Tulsa, I left it there most of the time. In the about 5 times I did that, I only had to airline once. Most of the time I could find another pilot coming or going that I could hitch a ride with, and then I would give them a ride when able.

Mike C.

I have always tried (time available of course) be an inquisitive compliment to the mechanics working on my aircraft over the years. I am a hands on guy with lots of mechanical background. I take an interest in their techniques, tools, etc and they appreciate it, as long as you're not in the way. I feel like this approach gives me the best possible job- and make a few friends in the process. Having pizza delivered for the crew at lunch brings lots of smiles. On the spot decisions with maintenance items help to guide the results you want. Seems there are always things to do ($$$) if you let it get away from you. Mind you, I do not defer MX, but some things are just "elective" and will wait, if needed at all.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2015, 11:59 

Post Likes: +2217
Aircraft: T28B,7GCBC,E90

Guys like us can work remotely... I'd just stay there and get some work done.... With the added side benefit that you can go check on things and get a little education on the maintenance if you stick around :-)

Glenn

Excellent point.. Except that it keeps me away from the family for a week - one of the reasons to have a plane is to be able to stay home more often!

That being said, working out of a hotel in Tulsa would probably be a very productive week!

Robert

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2015, 19:52 

WWW  Profile

That being said, working out of a hotel in Tulsa would probably be a very productive week!

It seems like it wouldn't be hard to arrange Tulsa to Dallas rides.

I have a good friend nearby who flies an MU2 also, so we often trade rides so it is not that common for us not to be able to get to/from the shop.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2015, 20:33 

Post Likes: +564
Aircraft: PC-24 Citabria 7GCBC
Here is one that is in my FBO with the 5 blade prop. I have to say that it looks awesome.

Attachment:
image.jpeg

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2015, 09:25 

What's a 5 blade conversion worth?

They do look quite "capable", don't they? :thumbup: Great looking paint job too...

Last edited on 25 Oct 2015, 10:24, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2015, 10:05 

Post Likes: +767
Aircraft: 737
Ready? Sitting down?

One
Hundred
THOUSAND
Dollars!!!

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha, I feel like Dr. Evil just saying that. Guys I know who have them swear by them; I've been told by them that there is a slight performance increase in the climb and virtually no loss of speed in cruise, but...

One
Hundred
THOUSAND
Dollars!

They're made of wood for Pete's sake. Them's some spendy trees. Of course, buying these does get rid of the pesky four blade prop AD; faced with a 60k OH, maybe it makes sense. I dunno. You can buy a halfway decent condo for 100k.

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2015, 10:27 

:bugeye: :bugeye: :bugeye:

Good thing its only in AMU's :hide:

Still looks outstanding for trees!

PostPosted: 25 Oct 2015, 11:00 

WWW  Profile

What's a 5 blade conversion worth?

Cost is ~$95K.

Worth is whatever you believe. Quieter, lighter, better climb. Little to no impact on cruise. Cosmetics seem to be the biggest draw.

Blades are composite with metal leading edge and wood core. Overhaul rebuilds the blades from the core up. MT says overhaul is every 6 years and they claim it is mandatory, but since there is no AD, part 91 can be on condition.

Makes most sense for 4 blade airplanes coming up on a costly prop overhaul. Hartzell has been milking owners with the AD. They grind down the blades excessively, then declare one of them under spec, and now you face the choice of buying one new blade and having it ground down to match the other 3, or buying 4 new ones. Arg.

The worst case I've seen of a Hartzell overhaul of a pair of 4 blade props was $80K.

The 3 blade props are MUCH cheaper to maintain, so not quite as much pull for the 5 blade upgrade.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2015, 14:38 

Quote:
This is also true, though beware that the T-hangar limiting dimension is typically the distance from back of wing tip tank to front of nose. A short body Mits will need 20' in this T dimension for a T hangar, and that's pretty bare minimum.

Thanks for the sizing tip, Jon. Had a similar problem w/ my mid-wing A*

Just checked here at KSFB. The AP authority has large T hangers that are 45' wide, 18' deep from door to mid-shelf, then 20' from mid-shelf to rear of hanger. Bummer. :sad: Not that I really want to hand tow in and out of the hanger all the time, but for $315/mo, it might be worth the sweat.

Back to shared private or FBO gang hanger pricing...

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2015, 14:41 

Post Likes: +6970
Mike, I'm following this thread as well and just called SimCom Orlando. (I live here) They only offer 6 day or 9 day full training (for experienced or new, low time turbine pilots) at current pricing of 14.8 AMU. :bugeye:

The general people who answer the phone don't know about off menu items.

Contact the Simcom Orlando Training Center Manager, John Warnk, to discuss this specific request. See if you can arrange Tim Keller as the instructor. Tim spoke with John about doing a demo flight in the sim and he says this will be no problem to arrange.

I will be at Simcom from Feb 17-20 doing an SFAR recurrent. I'm sure we can arrange a way you could observe if you like. You can learn a lot just by watching. We can even go flying in my plane if you want a taste of the real thing.

Mike C.

:clap:

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2017, 17:09 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +4411
Aircraft: B200, 500B
I didn't actually see an answer to the original question in this thread...how much does the 100 hr inspection usually cost? The 200hr? Can they be combined to save money? Are they both required at the 600hr interval or does the 600hr replace them?

Assume 200hrs/year flown.

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2017, 17:43 

Post Likes: +5226
Aircraft: 1961 Cessna 172
The recurring "big one" is the 600 hour, 3 year. Not really that big, about $4K.

I have not felt the need to try and make a special program, the costs are simply low enough. If I did, I'd try to expand the shortest interval to 200 hours, 12 months. That would allow my usage, about 125 hours/year, to still fit in one inspection cycle.

Looks like the 100/200 hr inspections are less than $4K .... probably something in the range of 5-8 hours fuel burn.

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2017, 20:15 

Post Likes: +2217
I didn't actually see an answer to the original question in this thread...how much does the 100 hr inspection usually cost? The 200hr? Can they be combined to save money? Are they both required at the 600hr interval or does the 600hr replace them?

Assume 200hrs/year flown.

Jim-

A great resource that you can ask is Mark James at Intercontinental Jet in Tulsa. A Google search will find their phone # quickly. Intercontinental Jet is owned by Mitsubishi and provides top drawer maintenance at very reasonable prices. He can give you their flat rate charge for a 100 hour and 200 hour. I owned a Marquise for a few years and had them do all my maintenance.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2017, 06:32 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +4411
Aircraft: B200, 500B
The recurring "big one" is the 600 hour, 3 year. Not really that big, about $4K.

I have not felt the need to try and make a special program, the costs are simply low enough. If I did, I'd try to expand the shortest interval to 200 hours, 12 months. That would allow my usage, about 125 hours/year, to still fit in one inspection cycle.

Looks like the 100/200 hr inspections are less than $4K .... probably something in the range of 5-8 hours fuel burn.

I'm hearing that the yearly inspection for a 40 year old 300+kt pressurized twin turboprop is under $3k and the "big inspection" is $4k.

Those are NA piston single prices. It's doesn't pass my sniff test; I don't buy it. There's a zero missing.

Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next