banner
banner

16 Apr 2024, 10:45 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 2880 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177 ... 192  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Aerostars
PostPosted: 02 Jun 2022, 03:12 

Post Likes: +397
Aircraft: Aerostar 600A
I own a shop and maintain a gaggle of twin Cessnas and a few Senecas & Barons.

Guess what I fly ? ;)

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2022, 08:19 

Post Likes: +93
Username Protected wrote:
There is a reason there is a STC to remove the turbos from 601s and it’s why no one used turbo charged Aerostars to haul checks.

I agree with your math.

$1K/HR + including fuel is in the ball park.

Forrest, I had the entire FAA registry downloaded and notes on every 600 in the US when I was shopping for mine. Option #2 was buy a 601 and remove the turbos. But 601s are even more rare than 600s so that's not much of a plan. But the plus side is you might score a B model with the wingtip extensions.

Yes the P models are more complex and carry 800 lbs more weight but I can't see doubling hourly operating expenses just to keep your turbos tuned and your pressure seals tight.

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2022, 14:40 

Post Likes: +899
Aircraft: Aerostar
There is a reason there is a STC to remove the turbos from 601s and it’s why no one used turbo charged Aerostars to haul checks.

I agree with your math.

$1K/HR + including fuel is in the ball park.

Forrest, I had the entire FAA registry downloaded and notes on every 600 in the US when I was shopping for mine. Option #2 was buy a 601 and remove the turbos. But 601s are even more rare than 600s so that's not much of a plan. But the plus side is you might score a B model with the wingtip extensions.

Yes the P models are more complex and carry 800 lbs more weight but I can't see doubling hourly operating expenses just to keep your turbos tuned and your pressure seals tight.

There is quite a bit of difference between a 600 and a pressurized Aerostar, and all that extra stuff breaks and wears out.

Heck I didn’t even count periodic replacement of the boots and failures in the prop anti-ice heaters and brushes. Or repairs to the alcohol system for the windshield.

But, 100 miles off shore or flying over inhospitable terrain all the cost involved with maintaining a capable airplane seems unimportant.

On a hot bumpy day My passengers and I are riding along cool in the flight levels instead of sweating and bouncing through the cumulus.

In the winter, we can stay above the ice toasty warm with safe simple and reliable bleed heat.

Pressurization (5.5 dif) is easy on the ears of my passengers (and the dog).

Bottom line, a pressurized Aerostar is more than turbos and an inflatable door gasket.

Folks who believe they can operate a pressurized Aerostar for less are either running their plane down or they are ignoring some costs.

:bud:

PostPosted: 02 Jun 2022, 20:19 

Post Likes: +226
Aircraft: 1969 Aerostar 600,
They’re doing both. They’re running their plane down and ignoring most costs.
Very few people truly understand the costs of operating an Aerostar the way it was intended to be operated whether it be an NA 600, or, a P model. Any Aerostar in top operating condition is something to behold. It is truly a marvel of aviation. Nothing comes close.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2022, 08:11 

Post Likes: +2854
Company: Looking
Aircraft: None
I disagree. The first hour is the most expensive. I figure between annual, upgrades... It was roughly $75K USD when I had the Aerostar.
After that, it is only about $200 an hour.

Tim (I could not resist)

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2022, 08:38 

Post Likes: +168
Aircraft: Aerostar600A
Unless you are in aviation business it is difficult to enjoy flying while obsessing over the cost :lol:

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2022, 10:12 

Post Likes: +85
Aircraft: Aerostar 601P, AS350
Flying home from the flight shop yesterday, they installed new engines and did an annual inspection. The flight shop is hands down the best aircraft maintenance shop I’ve ever dealt with, A+ service and I would highly recommend them, they gained a lifelong customer.

I was making some impressive numbers on the way home,

28” 2200rpm FL210 236KTAS 38GPH
FL 230 same power setting was 245KTAS

TIT was 1575 and CHT all 390 or less

I’m blown away with how fast this thing is now, that’s got to be +-10kts faster than book. The only unusual thing I had done was lycon did the cylinders for these engines (they remove casting flaws and polish the valve bowls and add some special coatings, then leave the heads alodined and only paint the barrels black).

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

Last edited on 03 Jun 2022, 10:15, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 03 Jun 2022, 10:14 

Post Likes: +1039
Aircraft: What's next?
Unless you are in aviation business it is difficult to enjoy flying while obsessing over the cost :lol:
This.

And sometimes co-mingling the "costs of aircraft ownership" with cost of ownership of a particular type (and fixed costs vs variable costs) isn't a true gauge. Aerostars are not for the weak of checkbook, but few high performance aircraft are.

However I would put Foreflight and Garmin updates and such in my costs of flying and not a cost of an aircraft and certainly not a per/hour cost. Those don't vary that much whether it's a Seminole or a Cheyenne, or you fly 10 hours or 1000 hours. Recurrency training? Anything higher performance is going to require it, so why tag it to an aircraft unless it's a massive change / delta? Hangar? Same - although the size matters, but you're still hangaring something.

It makes sense to me, and maybe only me, that if you're considering an A*, compare the incremental costs to what you currently have / know (assuming that the A* isn't you're first airplane).

What's going to change? Bigger hangar? Annual training that the InsCo didn't require with the Seneca (or whatever)? Maintenance? (which will likely be a sizeable delta for anyone coming out of another piston).

I'd just offer that if you're considering one of these awesome machines, everyone does the math differently. The CPA in me encourages you to compare the changes from what you currently have... and then justify it. Because we're all supposed to have fun in our lives and "that sh1t" (having fun) doesn't belong on a spreadsheet.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2022, 19:42 

Post Likes: +93
There is quite a bit of difference between a 600 and a pressurized Aerostar, and all that extra stuff breaks and wears out.

Heck I didn’t even count periodic replacement of the boots and failures in the prop anti-ice heaters and brushes. Or repairs to the alcohol system for the windshield.

But, 100 miles off shore or flying over inhospitable terrain all the cost involved with maintaining a capable airplane seems unimportant.

On a hot bumpy day My passengers and I are riding along cool in the flight levels instead of sweating and bouncing through the cumulus.

In the winter, we can stay above the ice toasty warm with safe simple and reliable bleed heat.

Pressurization (5.5 dif) is easy on the ears of my passengers (and the dog).

Bottom line, a pressurized Aerostar is more than turbos and an inflatable door gasket.

Folks who believe they can operate a pressurized Aerostar for less are either running their plane down or they are ignoring some costs.

:bud:

Granted there aren't many of them out there, Forrest, but my 600 is known ice, digital radar, engine driven R134a A/C, Garmin glass, copilot instrumentation, EIS, and digital STEC.

I repeat - door seal and turbos. It's costing you an extra $500 an hour to maintain those?

The only time I ever had a $40,000 annual was the one early on in my tenure that included two Mattituck overhauls. And I think I'm up to my third prop overhaul with this annual. And on my second set of boots. So I have some familiarity with what it costs to maintain an Aerostar.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2022, 05:02 

Sounds like a very nice 600.
(I made an offer one like that back when I was looking (1980 600A).

There is more to pressurization Than turbos and a door seal (although if you don’t have the electric pump that door seal can be expensive -pneumatic pumps)

Wastegate

The linkages for wastegates

The actuators

All wear and fail.

Windows crack and break.

Engines with turbos (not mine -yet) need replacement cylinders.

Run hard (1650 TIT) turbos last about 1000 hours.

The plumbing for the combustion heater can be a source of trouble (early on my plane would only heat unpressurized).

Enough problems are outside the experience of an average mechanic which means either a reposition flight to an expert or paying for learning curve.

All that said:

It’s worth it.

:cheers:

Last edited on 06 Jun 2022, 20:46, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2022, 17:01 

Post Likes: +1263
Company: Underground Airways
Aircraft: Mooney M20K 231+
Forrest, Just curious since I have a similar Lycoming TIO 540 in my Mooney, what do you run your TIT temp at for it to last? BTW is your exhaust system Inconel?
Thanks
Steve

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2022, 20:38 

Forrest, Just curious since I have a similar Lycoming TIO 540 in my Mooney, what do you run your TIT temp at for it to last? BTW is your exhaust system Inconel?
Thanks
Steve

It is, exhaust and tail pipes.

I have TIT probes on both turbos (right turbo is the official temperature), and limit them to less than 1650 deg, on the hottest TIT.
I keep CHTs below 400 deg.

I climb at full rich and 29” x 2550 and cruise (LOP) at 22-2300 rpm, limited by TIT temps.

Ran the first engine to about 2300 hours and this one is at 1000 hrs and haven’t replaced a cylinder yet.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2022, 21:08 

Post Likes: +1263
Company: Underground Airways
Aircraft: Mooney M20K 231+
Unfortunately my Mooney doesn't have any options like inconel so I've been limiting TIT to 1625 max and the CHT's to 400.
Thanks Forrest

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2022, 22:52 

Unfortunately my Mooney doesn't have any options like inconel so I've been limiting TIT to 1625 max and the CHT's to 400.
Thanks Forrest

Limiting CHTs to 400 deg is a good idea (IMO).

The 1650 limit comes from the original limits (with steel exhaust), I went with inconel out of an abundance of caution.

Interestingly the Piper Mirage has a 1750 TIT limit, I am not sure what kind of exhaust system they have but I suspect that even with steel exhaust you should be OK at 1650.
On further looking, according to a review in the AOPA magazine (https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all ... ibu-mirage) your plane has the 1750 limit as well.

PostPosted: 07 Jun 2022, 16:02 

Post Likes: +2854
Company: Looking
Aircraft: None
Thanks Forrest

Limiting CHTs to 400 deg is a good idea (IMO).

The 1650 limit comes from the original limits (with steel exhaust), I went with inconel out of an abundance of caution.

Interestingly the Piper Mirage has a 1750 TIT limit, I am not sure what kind of exhaust system they have but I suspect that even with steel exhaust you should be OK at 1650.
On further looking, according to a review in the AOPA magazine (https://www.aopa.org/news-and-media/all ... ibu-mirage) your plane has the 1750 limit as well.

Placement of the probes can make huge differences in the temps. At a shop once, a mechanic showed me the probe placement on the Piper 350 versus the ones on my Aerostar. The probes for the TIT on the Piper are further away from the actual turbo blades than on the Aerostar. Therefore, I was told outside of CHT, and even that can be questionable, never compare temp guidance from separate manufacturers without a lot more details (most of which I forget).

Tim

Reply to topic  [ 2880 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 171, 172, 173, 174, 175, 176, 177 ... 192  Next