banner
banner

29 Apr 2024, 12:19 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 2894 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190 ... 193  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Aerostars
PostPosted: 24 Jun 2023, 07:45 

Post Likes: +909
Aircraft: Aerostar
601P w/GAMIs

I normally run LOP.

For flight planning:

First hour 150 miles -40 gallons
Subsequent hours 200 miles -30 gallons

I plan on landing with 30+ gallons reserve

+= whatever fuel will be needed to get to required alternate.

These are conservative numbers, in cruise my actual burn is 26-28gph and airspeed is better than 210.

But the math is easy.

Second, but very important to keep in mind.

On a pressurized Aerostar that is being kept up (not run down), fuel cost isn’t going to be the largest cost of ownership.

The difference in fuel cost between a 601P and a 700 isn’t that big a deal, I run LOP for range (sometimes) and for weight reasons (less weight means better S/E performance).

:duck:

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2023, 08:51 

Post Likes: +220
Aircraft: Helio Courier, MU2
Username Protected wrote:
I’m surprised at some of the fuel burn and speed claims here. My 602P/700 went 235KTAS around FL200 on 44-45 gph which is exactly what AAC claims. My longest trip was SZT-CNO a little over 1000nm. I had comfortable reserves maybe an hour. That was with the aux tank so 210 gal

In addition to the 602P/700 I’ve had three MU2s, an N, a Marquise and currently, a Solitaire. Depending on the relationship between the cost of avgas and jet A at the airports you frequent one or the other can be cheaper per mile. If you can get cheap C.A.A. fuel at your home airport the MU2 will likely be cheaper/mile

MU2 gonna burn 70-75gph right, and you’re comparing to a 700 burning 40-45gph?

What everyone forgets is all the real world stuff, “clearance on request” after startup, getting held after a departure at 5000agl, getting vectored all over in busy airspace for the sequence etc. the penalties are exponentially not in favor of the turbine. I had a -6 garrett powered thrush I leased last year, guy that owned it was trying to lease it out to recover some of the cost after it sucked a bird into the impeller….

People say the turbines are so cheap to operate but don’t talk about any of the liabilities or penalties.

I concur with your points regarding low altitude flight but maintain my position that the costs are close. Which is cheaper depends on where you live. Numbers are for MU2B-40 Solitaire.

AEST 235ktas @ 45gph
Solitaire 300ktas @72gph

AEST uses about 80% of the fuel per mile in gallons so if Jet A is 75% of the price of 100LL then fuel/mile is equal in cruise flight. Typically Jet A is about 80% (in my experience) or 100 Price. Many, if not most owner flown twins are CAA members (its a fuel club). Last week I took a flight where I fueled at an airport where 100LL was $6.95 and Jet was $4.04 (CAA price) My resulting fuel cost was much lower than it would have been in my 602/700.

A factor is that there are ways to get meaningful discounts on Jet A. Not su much with 100LL

As was pointed out by another poster, turbine airplanes dont break down much. In a MU-2, vacuum is provided by blowing bleed air through a Venturi, not a vacuum pump. Turbine parts cost more but break less. My experience is that maitenance is about the same MU2 vs AEST

For roughly the same cost the MU2:

Cruises much higher
Goes roughly 80kts faster
Has about twice the cabin volume
Has better systems (fully heated glass windshields for example)
More reliable
Longer range

We could go on with the comparison, acquisition cost, insurance, training etc but the point is that the direct operating costs are similar

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2023, 10:27 

Post Likes: +97
The TBO for the Lycoming in an Aerostar is 1800 hours, for a reason. And a lot of the stuff hung off that Lycoming won't make TBO, like turbochargers, vacuum pumps, wastegates etc.

TBO on the 600 is 2000 hours. And the 600 carries none of that extra junk that does require added attention. Historians on the thread please correct me but IIRC they took an early working bird up to 4000 hours and tore the engines down for inspection just to verify 2000 hours was conservative on a 600.

It takes less than an hour to rip the executive interior and reclining swivel seats out of a 600 and turn it into an uber-hauler. A lot of MU-2s also ended up overnight hauling in the days before Cessna introduced the Caravan. That's the disadvantage of being efficient and relatively simple to maintain. Bean counters who run the numbers snap up the entire inventory. (Only thing the Caravan has over my 600 beyond three thousand pounds of extra useful load is you can put it on floats!)

So here we have an airplane - the 600 - that is the darling of bean counters AND fighter pilots. Like I said, Ted Smith was a genius.

You can maintain a fully equipped 600 for half to two-thirds the number Forrest mentioned. What was Richard Collins' rule of thumb? Triple the burn? So I'm doing $200 in fuel; that would be $600 / hr total direct and indirect operating costs. That seems like a reasonable number given my experience.

Of course, that's just maintaining the airplane. First thing you're going to want to do when you own one is put in a new panel or new paint or add winglets and paint...

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2023, 10:51 

Post Likes: +176
Aircraft: Piper Cheyenne II
Referencing Mike's points:

Super accurate comparison IMHO, but one variable that has moved around a lot is the market value of a decent Aerostar vs market value of entry level turbine options. MU-2's and Cheyennes got re-discovered a bit. For a while you could pick up a good Cheyenne I / II for numbers that were well below what the nicest Aerostars are going for now. I had a chance to buy a really nice MU-2 for $450k (shoulda...just wasn't in a position to do it then). I ended up in a really nice Cheyenne II for about the same money I would have had in my Aerostar after doing all the stuff it needed. That wouldn't be the case now.

When the combination of Jet A price advantage, low market values for entry level turboprops, and the increased cost of keeping highly strung piston engines healthy all aligned, it make the turboprop an easy decision. Now if you are at the $300k ish level of comfortable spend for an airplane, the turboprops are not in the picture anymore.

A few years back, you could pick up a really good Aerostar for $200k, and a decent Cheyenne for $350k. Now I think both those numbers have moved to a spot that makes it a very different equation.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2023, 14:12 

Post Likes: +130
Aircraft: MU-2F

Super accurate comparison IMHO, but one variable that has moved around a lot is the market value of a decent Aerostar vs market value of entry level turbine options. MU-2's and Cheyennes got re-discovered a bit. For a while you could pick up a good Cheyenne I / II for numbers that were well below what the nicest Aerostars are going for now. I had a chance to buy a really nice MU-2 for $450k (shoulda...just wasn't in a position to do it then). I ended up in a really nice Cheyenne II for about the same money I would have had in my Aerostar after doing all the stuff it needed. That wouldn't be the case now.

When the combination of Jet A price advantage, low market values for entry level turboprops, and the increased cost of keeping highly strung piston engines healthy all aligned, it make the turboprop an easy decision. Now if you are at the $300k ish level of comfortable spend for an airplane, the turboprops are not in the picture anymore.

A few years back, you could pick up a really good Aerostar for $200k, and a decent Cheyenne for $350k. Now I think both those numbers have moved to a spot that makes it a very different equation.

Steve,
your post points out why I posted this:

https://www.controller.com/listing/for- ... p-aircraft

which seems like a plane worthy of consideration for the mission posted by the OP. As to Geo's post, the Aerostar 600 isn't pressurized which puts it into a different class. Pressurized planes are more comfortable and don't have the hassle of having to mess with and refill oxygen if used where oxygen would be needed for the 600. All that easy access to altitude results in operating efficiency, more comfortable ride, more likely to top weather and icing conditions and less fatigue. All very worthwhile trade offs for the maintenance of the pressurization system. Fly what you can afford, but if you can afford a pressurized piston twin, you can afford an F model MU-2 and have a better more capable airplane, just sayin....

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2023, 15:27 

Post Likes: +176
Aircraft: Piper Cheyenne II

Steve,
your post points out why I posted this:

https://www.controller.com/listing/for- ... p-aircraft

which seems like a plane worthy of consideration for the mission posted by the OP. As to Geo's post, the Aerostar 600 isn't pressurized which puts it into a different class. Pressurized planes are more comfortable and don't have the hassle of having to mess with and refill oxygen if used where oxygen would be needed for the 600. All that easy access to altitude results in operating efficiency, more comfortable ride, more likely to top weather and icing conditions and less fatigue. All very worthwhile trade offs for the maintenance of the pressurization system. Fly what you can afford, but if you can afford a pressurized piston twin, you can afford an F model MU-2 and have a better more capable airplane, just sayin....

True enough - that F model could be a great option. The MU-2 doesn't yet have an approved autopilot retrofit, does it? You run an engine out in 900 hrs, that's not completely insignificant - but Yeah I would definitely look hard at that airplane.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2023, 15:29 

Post Likes: +909
Aircraft: Aerostar
Just a side note:

The air pumps on an Aerostar (all Aerostars) are pneumatic pumps not vacuum pumps, the only vacuum on an Aerostar is to keep the boots tight to the wing, I believe that’s from a venturi.

Uses for pneumatic pressure:

Door seal (unless you have an electric door seal pump -and you should)

Boots

Gyros

:btt:

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2023, 16:24 

Post Likes: +220
Aircraft: Helio Courier, MU2
Just a side note:

The air pumps on an Aerostar (all Aerostars) are pneumatic pumps not vacuum pumps, the only vacuum on an Aerostar is to keep the boots tight to the wing, I believe that’s from a venturi.

Uses for pneumatic pressure:

Door seal (unless you have an electric door seal pump -and you should)

Boots

Gyros

:btt:

Yes correct. The pump is the same.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2023, 09:10 

Post Likes: +2559
Aircraft: 1969 Bonanza V35A
People say the turbines are so cheap to operate but don’t talk about any of the liabilities or penalties.

If it wasn't for this exact reason, I'd have my own turbine airplane sitting in the hangar right now.

Worst case in the Aerostar that I owned, or my current 414 I'll have to do an engine and I'll spend six months of my spare time and $30-40k to repair it. Five hours after the purchase of my 414 this happened, right in the middle of me building a house so I had a $70k bill by the time I was done and that's with me doing a significant portion of the work other than the core engine teardown.

Last week, I spent $23k on a customers C-441 for an air cycle machine. By the time the day was done, we ordered a $5000 monopole probe for a prop governor and arranged another $10k in inspections. Then there is the $26k insurance bill. As much as I want a turbine airplane, I can't swallow those costs very easily. I can swallow just about anything on an old piston twin, even the two that I own.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2023, 12:07 

Post Likes: +2063
Company: Naples Jet Center
Aircraft: EMB500 AC95 AEST

If it wasn't for this exact reason, I'd have my own turbine airplane sitting in the hangar right now.

Worst case in the Aerostar that I owned, or my current 414 I'll have to do an engine and I'll spend six months of my spare time and $30-40k to repair it. Five hours after the purchase of my 414 this happened, right in the middle of me building a house so I had a $70k bill by the time I was done and that's with me doing a significant portion of the work other than the core engine teardown.

Last week, I spent $23k on a customers C-441 for an air cycle machine. By the time the day was done, we ordered a $5000 monopole probe for a prop governor and arranged another $10k in inspections. Then there is the $26k insurance bill. As much as I want a turbine airplane, I can't swallow those costs very easily. I can swallow just about anything on an old piston twin, even the two that I own.

C’mon Jason, none of that fits the narrative whereby every thread is taken over and turned into how fantastic some other 40-50 year old plane in a different class is to own.

You must be doing it wrong. Or if you had a certain model, it would have cost you a fraction. Or that specialty shop must be ripping you off. :shrug: :peace: :thumbup:

But seriously, thanks for saying it. There’s no free lunch.

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2023, 12:49 

Post Likes: +1195
Aircraft: Breeezy, 182,601P
When I purchased my Aerostar I seriously looked at an MU2.
I asked myself what the maximum probably uninsured event would be....

I thought it would be a $60K engine failure or a 35K front windshield fails inspection....
vs 250K to buy a used garrett on the MU-2.

About a year later I had an engine failure in the aerostar that in the end cost me more than $120K.

Engine failed in such a way that the core was scrap, ran metal through both turbos, the prop,prop governor, turbo controller, etc.....

I've since heard that a used garett with a 1000hrs left on it might be as little as 100K...
All the right questions to ask, alas the answer its not really clear...

MU2 would be faster, aerostar is a much nicer flying plane....

PostPosted: 26 Jun 2023, 15:10 

Post Likes: +272
Company: Premier Bone and Joint
Aircraft: BE90,HUSK,MU-2
I think one of the reasons you see a lot of Aerostar/MU-2 comparisons on this Aerostar thread is because a huge percentage of MU-2 owners previously owned 1 or more Aerostars (myself included). It is a very common transition. Naturally, those who have transitioned have opinions about what that was like, and those who are considering transitioning want to know more.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2023, 08:55 

Post Likes: +2559
Aircraft: 1969 Bonanza V35A

C’mon Jason, none of that fits the narrative whereby every thread is taken over and turned into how fantastic some other 40-50 year old plane in a different class is to own.

You must be doing it wrong. Or if you had a certain model, it would have cost you a fraction. Or that specialty shop must be ripping you off. :shrug: :peace: :thumbup:

But seriously, thanks for saying it. There’s no free lunch.

Oh believe me, I dream up something different all of the time. I’m always picking the brain off my neighbor, a long time acquaintance of yours (Cody W) and what I should buy next…. He just tells me a 690 or BE-18.

My problem is, I only own a cabin class aircraft (414 at the moment) for charity flights. My Travel Air does just fine otherwise. I can steal a 441 at no cost for larger charity flights.

When I sold the Aerostar, I was aimed toward a 58 Baron. The week I made my decision I was sitting at FL200 in the sunshine looking down at the rain and ice below thinking my wife would never fly a long trip in the Baron. I think I was right, one short trip in the Travel Air and she complained the whole time about the small cabin. I think I spoiled her in the
414/421C/441. She doesn’t complain about owning the fleet so I’ll keep them.

PostPosted: 27 Jun 2023, 19:38 

Post Likes: +260
Aircraft: Aerostars, Debonair

And no, the P models are not heavier than the 600.

Definitely not the case.

The base book empty weight on the 601P is 500 lbs heavier than the base book weight on the 600.

The glass is heavier, there are 4 turbos, 4 wastegates, 2 controllers, more complex exhaust system, sonic venturis, cabin intercoolers, bleed air valves, cabin rate controller, 2 outflow valves, much heavier skins on the pressure vessel, cabin sealant, ...

On top of all that you really need air-conditioning in a pressurized Aerostar or pressurized anything else. Most of the pressurized Aerostars are also full or known ice, adding even more weight. A fully loaded 601P will have about 1400 lbs of useful or less.

A fully loaded 700 with the 6315 lb gross weight (315 lb increase) has a 1650 lb useful (if you weight it).

With the 6850 lb gross weight mod a light fully loaded 700 will have close to a 2200 lb useful.

PostPosted: 29 Jun 2023, 02:07 

Post Likes: +399
Aircraft: Aerostar 600A
About a year later I had an engine failure in the aerostar that in the end cost me more than $120K.

Engine failed in such a way that the core was scrap, ran metal through both turbos, the prop,prop governor, turbo controller, etc.....

I've since heard that a used Garett with a 1000hrs left on it might be as little as 100K...
All the right questions to ask, alas the answer its not really clear...

MU2 would be faster, aerostar is a much nicer flying plane....

You see what you just did ?

You compared TWO NEW piston engines to ONE HIGHLY USED turbine. That's called "betterment", so not at all a "apples-to-apples" comparison.

A used Lycoming (no access.) with 1,000 hours left , might cost you as little as $15K, ask me how I know .

Don't kid yourself: A turbine is a big step up in cost.

Reply to topic  [ 2894 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 184, 185, 186, 187, 188, 189, 190 ... 193  Next