banner
banner

18 Apr 2024, 08:02 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 2880 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143 ... 192  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Aerostars
PostPosted: 01 Mar 2021, 15:17 

Post Likes: +904
Aircraft: Aerostar
Bill and Chuck,

If someone comes up with a 350+HP diesel with the numbers of the EPS motor before I have to hang up my spurs.....

Tom,

not sure what’s getting replaced but I told them to do the full GW increase.

It’s just money, right.

:doh:

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2021, 15:49 

Post Likes: +15
Aircraft: Aerostar 601P/700
Forrest,
Like Bill Lawson, been there & done that. Lot’s of work involved.
Sandy’s STC on the fork connection will surely help eliminate cracks in the hat section from towing the Aerostar past turn limits.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2021, 17:13 

Post Likes: +1640
Aircraft: T-210M Aeronca 7AC
I observe that a huge plus to owning a twin is that the fuselage can be maintained to pristine condition.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2021, 17:47 

Post Likes: +2544
Aircraft: 1969 Bonanza V35A
Username Protected wrote:
Forrest, are you having both inner and outer hat sections replaced, or, just the inner?
The reason I ask is if you are having both sections replaced it is going to require removal of the outer skin I believe on the left side of the nose section and I'd bet money that your plane is going to be down a little longer than three weeks. I could be wrong though.

While it looks daunting at first glance, the removal/installation of that skin actually doesn't take very long. When I was looking at the mod for the one I owned, I spent a lot of time looking at it. I think I could have had that skin off in about an hour, and a few hours to reinstall. The painting would take the longest...

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2021, 18:38 

Post Likes: +226
Aircraft: 1969 Aerostar 600,
Forrest, are you having both inner and outer hat sections replaced, or, just the inner?
The reason I ask is if you are having both sections replaced it is going to require removal of the outer skin I believe on the left side of the nose section and I'd bet money that your plane is going to be down a little longer than three weeks. I could be wrong though.

While it looks daunting at first glance, the removal/installation of that skin actually doesn't take very long. When I was looking at the mod for the one I owned, I spent a lot of time looking at it. I think I could have had that skin off in about an hour, and a few hours to reinstall. The painting would take the longest...

From what I remember the time is in the hat section. Lots of holes and rivets inside and out if your doing both sides.

PostPosted: 01 Mar 2021, 23:52 

Post Likes: +85
Aircraft: Aerostar 601P, AS350
Too funny, I’ve owned two different Aerostar’s and both had different style hat sections. This is in my latest 601P. That 6800lb kit is definitely on my list if this one ever cracks.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 02 Mar 2021, 00:04 

Post Likes: +85
Aircraft: Aerostar 601P, AS350
Gross weight increase (I think 6800lbs?) inner hat section vs an original.

Benefits of having your manufacturer still in business!

PostPosted: 03 Mar 2021, 23:42 

Post Likes: +11
Aircraft: Baron B55
I am hoping to join the ranks of Aerostar owners and operators and I have a question. I find the level of expertise on BT to be outstanding, so with that in mind, my question is about training.
Excluding the high dollar schools like SimCom, etc, who would you recommend for initial and recurrent training? In every marque there is usually at least one individual who percolates to top of most peoples list of excellent trainers. Howell for MU-2, Bob Hoffman for Dukes, etc. Is there someone who most operators would agree is the "best" in Aerostar training?
Thanks in advance for your input.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2021, 07:22 

They’re all excellent trainer’s. I don’t see any as a standout above the rest and there are quite a few that are listed on the AOA web site under “friends of AOA.” They’re pretty much all over the country also.

There is no magic bullet to flying an Aerostar. Biggest take away is just don’t be slow close to the ground. It’s really an easy airplane to fly. Just don’t be slow close to the ground.

And, the most important thing to remember when in training, or, any other time for that matter when flying an Aerostar, “just don’t be slow when close to the ground.”

So, before you start your training and after you start your training, remember one thing,
“don’t be slow when close to the ground.”

And, after you have completed your training, remember one thing, “don’t be slow when close to the ground.”

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2021, 07:43 

Post Likes: +1727
Aircraft: Avanti-Citabria
To be a bit more specific NEVER below 120 knots unless you are one mile final or less and about to put in full flaps....for at least the first 100 hours.

If you look over and see under 120....fix it....
A hair of power or lower the nose or both.

116 or 118 or 120 were the min speed numbers given to me prior to my purchase.
I chose 120 which served me well.
I guarded that number more than anything else!!!!

A hundred plus hours later one day on approach at night I notice a slight mushiness...
Hmmm...yep...112....fix it...NOW

She talks to you very well after a bit of time in saddle.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2021, 07:44 

Post Likes: +2854
Company: Looking
Aircraft: None
Mark,

I have a minor nit pick with Tom on the flying characteristics.
The Aerostar is one of the most "honest" planes you will fly. It telegraphs everything to you, you just need to pay attention. This is different than many other planes that try and protect the pilot from their own mistakes, and end up masking the messages being sent to the pilot.

When IFR, you really need to fly the plane like an airliner, fly it by the numbers.
When VFR, and away from pattern altitude, it really is a joy to fly by the seat of your pants.

Tim

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2021, 07:49 

Post Likes: +1727
Aircraft: Avanti-Citabria
Mark,

The Aerostar is one of the most "honest" planes you will fly. It telegraphs everything to you, you just need to pay attention. This is different than many other planes that try and protect the pilot from their own mistakes, and end up masking the messages being sent to the pilot.

When IFR, you really need to fly the plane like an airliner, fly it by the numbers.
When VFR, and away from pattern altitude, it really is a joy to fly by the seat of your pants.

Tim

Totally agree on flying qualities.

Just don’t get slow when close to the ground!

I went up to 8,000 feet and stalled mine.
Memory getting fuzzy but I think she stalled at 72 knots.
Benign stall with just a nose drop...of course I had ball centered.
The slight surprise is I recovered nicely and still lost a full 300 feet.

Wish I could transfer the winglets to me new BI wing Avanti

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2021, 10:01 

Post Likes: +1154
Aircraft: Piper PA-32R 300
They’re all excellent trainer’s. I don’t see any as a standout above the rest and there are quite a few that are listed on the AOA web site under “friends of AOA.” They’re pretty much all over the country also.

There is no magic bullet to flying an Aerostar. Biggest take away is just don’t be slow close to the ground. It’s really an easy airplane to fly. Just don’t be slow close to the ground.

And, the most important thing to remember when in training, or, any other time for that matter when flying an Aerostar, “just don’t be slow when close to the ground.”

So, before you start your training and after you start your training, remember one thing,
“don’t be slow when close to the ground.”

And, after you have completed your training, remember one thing, “don’t be slow when close to the ground.”

So if you could give one piece of advice to a new A* pilot, what would it be?

"It rubs the lotion on it's skin"

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2021, 10:50 

Mark,

I have a minor nit pick with Tom on the flying characteristics.

Tim

I'm with you a 100% Tim. The Aerostar will talk to you every step of the way from wheels up to touchdown. However, if there is only one takeaway that one should remember, it's keep your speed up. What most new pilots don't recognize is how fast speed diminishes in the pattern if you are not paying attention. Yes, it is the most fun flying airplane I have ever flown.

PostPosted: 04 Mar 2021, 10:50 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +183
Aircraft: T210, Aerostar 702P
“don’t be slow when close to the ground"

So if you could give one piece of advice to a new A* pilot, what would it be?

I'm a new Aerostar pilot, made my transition last fall.

Taking nothing away from Tom Cooke's point above, for me the most valuable part of my training was becoming familiar with the Aerostar's systems, using the "Aerostar Training Materials" book which is available for download at the Aerostar Owner's Association website. It took me about a month of self-study -- the document is 433 pages long -- but I felt well-prepared in terms of my systems knowledge before I started in-airplane transition training.

Best to you,

Mark

Reply to topic  [ 2880 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 137, 138, 139, 140, 141, 142, 143 ... 192  Next