banner
banner

19 Apr 2024, 06:53 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 2880 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 192  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Aerostars
PostPosted: 13 Jun 2017, 19:47 

Post Likes: +17162
Aircraft: Baron, 180,195,J-3
My use of the Aerostar has gotten down to shooting two or three approaches each weekend. No where to go and nothing to do when I get there. But, today, I actually had to go to Nashville for a short meeting at KMQY, 400 nautical round trip. Two hours and forty five minutes from wheels up KGNF to wheels down at KGNF. :bugeye: 71 gallons.

The pics show my power settings and true air speed at 57% power.

Nice :peace: . Now, if I had somewhere to go. :D or wanted to.

Jgreen

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2017, 21:04 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +242
Company: W. John Gadd, Esq.
Aircraft: C55 Baron
Username Protected wrote:
My use of the Aerostar has gotten down to shooting two or three approaches each weekend. No where to go and nothing to do when I get there. But, today, I actually had to go to Nashville for a short meeting at KMQY, 400 nautical round trip. Two hours and forty five minutes from wheels up KGNF to wheels down at KGNF. :bugeye: 71 gallons.

The pics show my power settings and true air speed at 57% power.

Nice :peace: . Now, if I had somewhere to go. :D or wanted to.

Jgreen

Nice panel.

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2017, 23:26 

Post Likes: +2215
Aircraft: C525 BE40 D1K Waco
Nice tail number....!

PostPosted: 14 Jun 2017, 06:27 

Nice tail number....!

Actually, no. Should have kept it though. The shop was supposed to redo that, but didn't, and I haven't bothered.

Jgreen

PostPosted: 18 Jun 2017, 22:36 

Post Likes: +129
Company: Southwest Airlines
Aircraft: Baron E-55
Good evening BT,

Just re-read the entire thread.

I am obviously enamored with the aerostar.

I am sorry to see that JG has decided to sell.

You truely have a beautiful aircraft.

I do have a question about the fuel capacity of aircraft with the additional aux fuel tank.

I have seen some claim to have an additional 5 to 10 gallons of supply. I have not seen any mods for this. I assume they mean that they "push" and additional amout in when they are fueling. Is this claim valid. And if so, how so?

JG, do you have an additional aux tank of your aircraft?

Thanks.

:cheers:

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2017, 07:57 

Don,

My airplane has standard 165 gallons. I burn 3 gallons for taxi and warm up, 55 gph on climb out, and 26-30 after that. Seven mpg is pretty much written in stone. Slowing down doesn't add much, but I suspect that LOP, or even an economy ROP, would; Forrest can tell you. I fly strictly by TIT's which most everybody thinks is stupid, but, it suits me.

The POH gives over 1100 nm, no reserve, at a ROP economy setting, which is probably very accurate.

Jgreen

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2017, 07:59 

Post Likes: +928
Company: USAF Propulsion Laboratory
Aircraft: PA24, AEST 680, 421
Good evening BT,

Just re-read the entire thread.

I am obviously enamored with the aerostar.

I am sorry to see that JG has decided to sell.

You truely have a beautiful aircraft.

I do have a question about the fuel capacity of aircraft with the additional aux fuel tank.

I have seen some claim to have an additional 5 to 10 gallons of supply. I have not seen any mods for this. I assume they mean that they "push" and additional amout in when they are fueling. Is this claim valid. And if so, how so?

JG, do you have an additional aux tank of your aircraft?

Thanks.

With the Aux tank, you can fill the Main Fuselage tank, then transfer an additional 15-20 gallons from the Aux Tank to the main by using the Aux Tank transfer pumps. Don't open the Main Tank fuel cap after doing so. The main tanks have considerable air space above the filler which can allow this.

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2017, 08:20 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1492
Aircraft: AEST
Don,

John's plane doesn't have the 45 gallon Aux tank. (Fill for the Aux Tank is on the left side of the plane forward of the baggage door).

Standard usable fuel is 165.5 gallons.

On an Aerostar it is possible to squeeze 5-10 extra gallons by filling the right wing 1st allowing the right wing to drop (lifting the left wing helps), then filling the fuselage tank until gas runs out, then fill the left wing to the top, then lift the right wing, and fill it to brim.

Fuel caps exist (at least two versions have been made) that allow adding of an additional 20 gallons to the fuselage tank, the FAA used to give approvals for the cap, existing approved planes are legal but the approval isn't transferable.

Finally, if one has the Aux tank, it is possible to pump an additional 20 gallons in to the fuselage tank by filling the fuselage tank, putting on the cap, putting 20 gallons on n the Aux tank, turning on the pump to transferring the fuel into the fuselage tank, and then filling the Aux Tank for a total of 230 gallons, doing the wing rock technique would get another 5+ gallons.

Last December, I went from Ramona, CA to Norfolk, VA with one stop, I used the wing rock technique and landed with over 30 gallons reserve at both stops.

(I did have a tailwind ;) )

Personally, I believe in planning a flight without taking into account any extra fuel I might squeeze on, any extra fuel just adds to my reserve.

'---x-O-x---'

PostPosted: 19 Jun 2017, 08:37 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1492
Aircraft: AEST
Don,

My airplane has standard 165 gallons. I burn 3 gallons for taxi and warm up, 55 gph on climb out, and 26-30 after that. Seven mpg is pretty much written in stone. Slowing down doesn't add much, but I suspect that LOP, or even an economy ROP, would; Forrest can tell you. I fly strictly by TIT's which most everybody thinks is stupid, but, it suits me.

The POH gives over 1100 nm, no reserve, at a ROP economy setting, which is probably very accurate.

Jgreen

Another data point (601P).

LOP no wind, in the FLs I get close to 8 NM/GAL.

For planning, I figure on 40 gallons and 150 NM the first hour and 30 gallons and 200 NM for additional hours. It makes the math easy, and works for all altitudes.

950 (5 hours) miles and I need to be on the ground.

In reality I'm burning 25 to 27 gal an hour, and at altitude 205+ KTAS, with VFR weather (no alternate needed) 5 hour legs result in a 20-25 gallon reserve.

'---x-O-x---'

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2017, 19:27 

Good evening BT,

JG, Forrest, and Fred. Thanks for your replies.

I just got back from Arizona where I had my Baron. Just finished its annual. It only took about an hour and a half to get from KGEU (Glendale) back home to L18 (Fallbrook). I love the speed and freedom. And she handles so nice.

Attachment:
Maggie Oct 059.jpg

The two things I hear you Aerostar drivers talk about is Speed and Handling.

I bet I would love the Aerostar.

The fact that you can pump that much extra fuel into the Aerostar with the extra aux tank is quite interesting. With the extra amount that you claim Forrest, I could meet all my requirements that I was wishing for!!!

This was great info guys.

Thanks for the input.

And to JG. It sounds like you have a buyer for your very nice plane. Congradulations and condolences. I imagine It would be a bitter sweet time for you.

Thanks agian, and keep the info coming.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

Last edited on 21 Jun 2017, 09:51, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2017, 09:43 

Good morning BT,

Hello John.

Don,

Jgreen

I am curious John. It appears that you executed very quickly and precise in the sale of your aircraft.

Many aircraft seem to be for sale for years. I include Aerostars in that too. Many have obvious issues, overpriced or they might be junk among many issues. But I feel that there are some that seem fair priced and a fair deal, yet they languish in the 'for sale' sights for a very long time.

I know that shiny sells, and you have a shiny aircraft (Meaning to me, that is has a beautiful interior & exterior, very nice cockpit with nice toys, and very well kept.)

Still, it appears it has sold promptly (assuming it has sold). And this with no deice, and no Machen engine upgrade (I am talking about the 350 HP upgrade), and no aux tank.

My question is this:

Aside from the stuff I listed (the shiney aircraft), what is your take or opinion as to the quick sale. Are there any tricks of the trade. Do you have a secret sauce!!! :D

I hope you don't mind the question.

I think it would be very educational for all of use out here.

In a time of low market turnover for our aircraft, and depreciating used aircraft prices, any insight into selling a plane in a buyers market would help those of us with aircraft.

I consider it wise to take councel from thoses that have had success.

Thanks again.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2017, 10:03 

Post Likes: +104
Aircraft: Divorced: AC690A-10
Don,

Jgreen

I am curious John. It appears that you executed very quickly and precise in the sale of your aircraft.

Many aircraft seem to be for sale for years. I include Aerostars in that too. Many have obvious issues, overpriced or they might be junk among many issues. But I feel that there are some that seem fair priced and a fair deal, yet they languish in the 'for sale' sights for a very long time.

I know that shiny sells, and you have a shiny aircraft (Meaning to me, that is has a beautiful interior & exterior, very nice cockpit with nice toys, and very well kept.)

Still, it appears it has sold promptly (assuming it has sold). And this with no deice, and no Machen engine upgrade (I am talking about the 350 HP upgrade), and no aux tank.

My question is this:

Aside from the stuff I listed (the shiney aircraft), what is your take or opinion as to the quick sale. Are there any tricks of the trade. Do you have a secret sauce!!! :D

I hope you don't mind the question.

I think it would be very educational for all of use out here.

In a time of low market turnover for our aircraft, and depreciating used aircraft prices, any insight into selling a plane in a buyers market would help those of us with aircraft.

I consider it wise to take councel from thoses that have had success.

Thanks again.

Don,

This quick sale happened because when you buy an used aircraft (or just about any other complex machinery) you are buying the previous owner. In this case, at least in this community and I suspect many others, JGG is unimpeachable. I suspect John had people ready to buy before it ever hit the market. I know I considered approaching him back when he first hinted that he really didn't have much use for the airplane. I even considered trying to buy it after it hit the market and his Aerostar does not fit my mission. I know the airplane is nice, but I was really motivated by what I know about JGG. I've never even seen the airplane.

At least that's my take on it. That assessment is worth what you paid for it.

Stewart

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2017, 19:48 

Don,

The answer to your question lies in Stewart's perhaps too complimentary response; which honors me more than I deserve.

The buyer has Aerostar time from "way back" as a freight dog. So, he knows what he wants. He knows the airplane from my time on BT and rightly figures that if I knew something was wrong, it would have been fixed. He has been in the market for several months and has actually talked to me in his quest to find a good airplane. I never offered him mine and he never tried to purchase it before I put it up for sale. He made runs at several airplanes that we discussed and at each juncture came home disappointed and empty.

My plane is an open book to any legitimate purchaser. I have offered my mechanic, free of charge, to help his mechanic on pre buy. I have given him names and numbers of A* gurus who know my airplane. Are there red flags? Hell yes, and any airplane 38 years old is going to have them. The question is "have those red flags been addressed and are there others".

If he closes the deal, I want him completely satisfied that we both know it is a good airplane. If anything makes him nervous I WANT HIM TO WALK AWAY. My standard of living won't be affected and I am perfectly comfortable with owning and flying the airplane for awhile longer.

Should he walk away, there is honestly a second buyer who has known the airplane from almost day one of my ownership and flown it. He's a friend and I damn sure don't want to lose his friendship over an airplane.

All that being said, I must show my bad side as well. I have no time or patience for "wanna bees", "low ballers", or "bull sh*****ers". I can, have, and will say "**** off" in a heart beat.

So, I will accept the honor of Stewart's compliment to the extent of saying I'm honest and don't need to screw anybody out of anything.

Thanks again to Stewart, :peace:

Jgreen

PostPosted: 22 Jun 2017, 16:19 

Good afternoon BT,

Hello John and Stewart.

Your replies to my question about the sale of John's aircraft hare what I expected.

It is wonderful to have a great and well respected reputation in this community, or any community for that matter.

To John, I hope you continue to contribute to this thread. I may get close purchasing another aircraft in the near future (Aerostar). Your continued input and advice would be highly valued.

To Stewart, thanks for your comments.

Although I will say that I will disagree with one of your comments in your last post;

"The assessment is worth what you paid for it."

I know that you say this in jest.

Some of the most valuable advice on all things aviation, I have received has come from the collective wisdom of those here on BT, and it has all been free. :D

Thanks again.

PostPosted: 25 Jun 2017, 09:47 

Post Likes: +1727
Aircraft: Avanti-Citabria
I am in negotiations and hope to soon be tossing a LARGER portion of my decretionary income down a big beautiful hole called an Aerostar.

Questions for the group:

What are 4-6ish items/systems besides engine grenade most likely to leave me stranded in a five year ownership period?

All answers/ best guesses appreciated.

Looking for: most likely, ball park cost to repair, and expected hours/years between overhaul.

I will fly 150+ hours per year

Last edited on 25 Jun 2017, 16:39, edited 1 time in total.

Reply to topic  [ 2880 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 192  Next