banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 08:49 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 2880 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 ... 192  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Aerostars
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2018, 11:00 

Post Likes: +1382
Aircraft: C501
Dumb question here, but is the Aerostar considered a "cabin class" aircraft?

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2018, 11:06 

Post Likes: +226
Aircraft: 1969 Aerostar 600,
Username Protected wrote:
Yes.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2018, 12:16 

Post Likes: +175
Aircraft: Piper Cheyenne II
Yes.[/quote

No it's not....any more than a Cessna 310 is with its 6 fwd facing seats would be.

I think there isn't any real definition of "cabin class"... it's a marketing term that manufacturers came up with to describe an airplane large enough to have a divider between the cockpit and the first row of passenger seats. which typically are facing backward to make a "club" arrangement. Maybe NBAA has some "official" definition somewhere...

While I was very happy with the performance / space trade-off of the Aerostar and you can put a lot of stuff in it for serious family travel, I don't consider it "cabin class". If you can't physically separate the cockpit from the cabin and the occupants of the cabin can't get up and have space to move about the cabin (say, to the aft potty / refreshment area, etc) it's not a "cabin class" airplane - such as a Navajo or King Air would be.

$.02...

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2018, 12:30 

Post Likes: +71
Company: Cruce Aircraft Services
Aircraft: Learjet 55, C-310
Congrats John! :thumbup:

601P is a great choice. It's the miser of the Aerostars and a very economical twin to run in fuel.

What year is she? Got any of the mods?

1977. Plane has a cool history, it bought by the Argentina Air Force and used in their war with Great Britain.

Some mods: Intercoolers, heavy duty brakes, JPI-760, vgs. Looking at the aux heat mod to do first.

I’m really on the fence about not having boots, I like the speed and rarely get ice. I like to be able to fly into a heavy snow storm and not worry about icing though.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2018, 12:35 

Post Likes: +1712
Aircraft: Avanti-Citabria
It has a cabin

It has class....Especially Tom’s!

Steve has a valid point though.

I currently have both middle seats removed

Tons of room (mild exaggeration) for four people and stuff...
Heavy Stuff in baggage compartment
Light Stuff behind seat on hat rack
Mo Stuff between back seats and pilots seats

Add four people and up to 236 gallons fuel, light the fires and Voila.....

Personal time travel

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2018, 13:55 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +5519
Aircraft: Turbo Commander 680V

1977. Plane has a cool history, it bought by the Argentina Air Force and used in their war with Great Britain.

Some mods: Intercoolers, heavy duty brakes, JPI-760, vgs. Looking at the aux heat mod to do first.

I’m really on the fence about not having boots, I like the speed and rarely get ice. I like to be able to fly into a heavy snow storm and not worry about icing though.

Good stuff. Get the electric door seal pump mod - it will eat air pumps otherwise if you have a pinhole leak. The aux fuel mod is also pretty useful, but a little pricier.

As for boots, I know what you mean. It's nice to have that safety factor, but unless you have the inner boots installed (which almost none of the Aerostars have), you're not certified for known icing anyway, so the reality is both the regular booted one and yours will still have to get out of it, so not much operational difference. And yours will be a lot faster!

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2018, 15:43 

Post Likes: +71
Company: Cruce Aircraft Services
Aircraft: Learjet 55, C-310

Good stuff. Get the electric door seal pump mod - it will eat air pumps otherwise if you have a pinhole leak. The aux fuel mod is also pretty useful, but a little pricier.

As for boots, I know what you mean. It's nice to have that safety factor, but unless you have the inner boots installed (which almost none of the Aerostars have), you're not certified for known icing anyway, so the reality is both the regular booted one and yours will still have to get out of it, so not much operational difference. And yours will be a lot faster!

I was thinking about the door seal. If you have that, can you remove the vacuum pumps? Obviously thinking about glass panel in my future.

I’ve been looking for aux tanks on the crashed planes, found one for $6k, still a lot for something I’m not sure how much I’d use. I plan on flying LOP, so 5 hours should be pretty easy.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2018, 15:57 

WWW  Profile

I was thinking about the door seal. If you have that, can you remove the vacuum pumps? Obviously thinking about glass panel in my future.

Yes, you can. I'm trying to think if there's something else that needs vacuum, but don't think so..

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2018, 15:59 

[quote="Steve Lefferts"
No it's not....any more than a Cessna 310 is with its 6 fwd facing seats would be.

I think there isn't any real definition of "cabin class"... it's a marketing term that manufacturers came up with to describe an airplane large enough to have a divider between the cockpit and the first row of passenger seats. which typically are facing backward to make a "club" arrangement. Maybe NBAA has some "official" definition somewhere...

While I was very happy with the performance / space trade-off of the Aerostar and you can put a lot of stuff in it for serious family travel, I don't consider it "cabin class". If you can't physically separate the cockpit from the cabin and the occupants of the cabin can't get up and have space to move about the cabin (say, to the aft potty / refreshment area, etc) it's not a "cabin class" airplane - such as a Navajo or King Air would be.

$.02...[/quote]

1.cabin class - a class of accommodations on a ship or train or plane that are less expensive than first class accommodations

I have two seats and a bench seat in my Aerostar. My wife sits in the back seat with duffel bags piled up in front of her separating the cockpit from the cabin. My plane is cabin class.

Last edited on 05 Nov 2018, 16:49, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2018, 16:02 

Post Likes: +2848
Company: Looking
Aircraft: None

I’ve been looking for aux tanks on the crashed planes, found one for $6k, still a lot for something I’m not sure how much I’d use. I plan on flying LOP, so 5 hours should be pretty easy.

Call Jim Christy at AAC. I recall a discussion about this on the Aerostar Owners Association and there were multiple people who said it cannot be done for some reason; and I think it was related to the TC; but I am not sure. It also was not an option for me, so I did not pay a lot of attention to it.

I used the aux tank a lot, you would be amazed at how much range it opens up, and when flying to the Midwest and West where airports are farther apart, you need a fair amount of fuel for diversion to an alternate to get out of a weather system.

Tim

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2018, 16:06 

WWW  Profile

Data on tanks - my Aerostar had the most accurate fuel gauges I've ever seen. I could see if the plane flew crooked in the air on the fuel gauges before I could see it on the ball, almost! They were exceptional. It's the only plane I've been comfortable running to IFR/VFR minimums regularly.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2018, 16:09 

Data on tanks - my Aerostar had the most accurate fuel gauges I've ever seen. I could see if the plane flew crooked in the air on the fuel gauges before I could see it on the ball, almost! They were exceptional. It's the only plane I've been comfortable running to IFR/VFR minimums regularly.

Ditto here. The gauges really tell you how well coordinated you are flying the plane.
They are ridiculously accurate for me.

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2018, 16:54 

Coming soon.....

Very nice.

On market or off market? How did you find it?

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2018, 17:38 

Jeez....that's MOVING.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/N68 ... Z/KHND/E11

PostPosted: 05 Nov 2018, 17:55 

Post Likes: +1258
Company: Underground Airways
Aircraft: Mooney M20K 231+
328 KnPH is worth bragging about even if it is tailwind induced.

Reply to topic  [ 2880 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98 ... 192  Next