banner
banner

24 Apr 2024, 10:38 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 2880 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 ... 192  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Aerostars
PostPosted: 22 Nov 2017, 21:54 

Post Likes: +168
Aircraft: Aerostar600A
Username Protected wrote:
My Aerostars left engine is waiting for a replacement Factory 0 time from Lycoming....
Its been three weeks since the quote was done and the delivery time has slipped by more than 3 weeks.... why do so many companies have to be dishonest scum....

My right arm is waiting for the attached picture to heal....
In other words I'm bored bored bored....

Paul...looks like a ball socket from Lycoming

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2017, 22:56 

Post Likes: +2854
Company: Looking
Aircraft: None
My Aerostars left engine is waiting for a replacement Factory 0 time from Lycoming....
Its been three weeks since the quote was done and the delivery time has slipped by more than 3 weeks.... why do so many companies have to be dishonest scum....

My right arm is waiting for the attached picture to heal....
In other words I'm bored bored bored....

When I ordered a new engine from Lycoming for my A* in 2012 or 2013; as I recall Lycoming said six to eight weeks.
About four weeks in, they notified me the schedule slipped a month.
The engine shipped about a week later and was at the shop before the original delivery date.

I think they have some communication issues....

Tim

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2017, 11:21 

Post Likes: +514
Aircraft: 700P, F35, D17
The only time I ever see 42" static is when we are annually adjusting the wastegate controllers. I never get much past 25" before I start rolling and then accelerate the engines slowly. I reduce power slowly as well including bringing the throttles to close on the flare. Everyone's plane is different so my procedures may not be for everyone. With that said I don't want to jinx myself but at the last annual the compressions were all good and I have about 1100 hours on the cylinders.

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2017, 12:53 

Post Likes: +1728
Aircraft: Avanti-Citabria
I do advance throttles slowly. Light in Columbia I am often airborne about the time throttles are full forward. I will cease trying to decrease the life of my props by going full power prior to brake release.

As always....thanks guys :cheers:

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2017, 17:17 

Post Likes: +1195
Aircraft: Breeezy, 182,601P
I will gladly trade service wear for more safety, always.

Every takeoff is from full power locked brakes at the very end of the runway.
Everything is stable and in the green before brake release..

Also I use my brakes on landing, going slower on the ground is always safer than being too fast. (Contaminated runway ops are a different thing)

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2017, 00:33 

Post Likes: +123
Aircraft: Cessna R182
Not to take anything away from the discussion, but here is an interesting proboscis on this Aerostar:

Attachment:
2017-11-27 09.35.33.jpg

I wonder what is in there.

Gene

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2017, 00:35 

Post Likes: +123
Aircraft: Cessna R182
Here is the tail number:

Attachment:
2017-11-27 09.35.44.jpg

Gene

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 28 Nov 2017, 03:50 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +5543
Aircraft: Turbo Commander 680V
That's a temporary ground cover for a camera mount. This plane has attachment points both front and back for fixed or stabilized cameras. It shot many of the IMAX aerial scenes in Nolan's 'Dunkirk'.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2017, 17:46 

Post Likes: +118
Company: Innovation Two
Aircraft: Piper PA 60
That aircraft was also used in the Quantum of Solace James Bond film where the DC3 was chased by the bad guy. The Aerostar shot all air to air sequences. There were two cameras - I think they were Ciniflex. On board, pilot, director and two camera operators.

Bob

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2017, 18:14 

Post Likes: +1728
Aircraft: Avanti-Citabria
just in case I have not mentioned it lately I LOVE this Aerostar :pilot:

Last week in route from Charlotte to Raleigh the controller left me up at 8000 a bit longer than normal. At about 20 miles I called airport in sight.

At about 5 miles the controller asked “do you have airport in sight?”

Me: Airport in sight
Controller: cleared to land 23R

Did I mention I luv spoilers....

Popped spoilers, reduced to 25” and descended bout 2500 FPM and 215 KIAS to make a right base and land 23R

Yesterday going back to Raleigh I heard those words OH SO BEAUTIFUL to us lowely Pistons pilots

Aerostar, I need you to reduce speed to 170 for spacing :D

Longer trip Hunting Kansas pheasant and quail in two weeks so I wish for 10 knots of headwind going out and an extra zero on return :woot:

Last edited on 06 Dec 2017, 18:17, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2017, 18:17 

WWW  Profile

just in case I have not mentioned it lately I LOVE this Aerostar :pilot:

Last week in route from Charlotte to Raleigh the controller left me up at 8000 a bit longer than normal. At about 20 miles I called airport in sight.

At about 5 miles the controller asked “do you have airport in sight?”

Me: Airport in sight
Controller: cleared to land 23R

Did I mention I luv spoilers....

Popped spoilers, reduced to 25” and descended bout 2500 FPM and 215 KIAS to make a right base and land 23R

Yesterday going back to Raleigh I heard those words OH SO BEAUTIFUL to us lowely Pistons pilots

Aerostar, I need you to reduce speed to 170 for spacing :D

Longer trip Hunting Kansas pheasant and quail in two weeks so I wish for 10 knots of headwing going out and an extra zero on return :woot:

One of the things I loved the most about the Aerostar was it's high Vne and narrow yellow arc. If you needed to get down, all I did was push nose over. Rarely reduced power, just took the speed. Any other aircraft and you'd be in the red.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2017, 09:42 

Post Likes: +347
Just thought I'd share some notes on my transition to a Aerostar 602P/700 as <500 hour pilot and very low time (14 hours prior to the Aerostar purchase) multi-engine pilot.

Insurance was shockingly not an issue. Tom Johnson set me up quite nicely, thanks Tom!

I recently completed my initial training with Dean Thomas, who I highly recommend. Rather than cram the training into 3 or 4 days, I spread it out, and chose a local instructor so I could train to proficiency, however long that took. This worked well for me. The fact that one of the Aerostar Owner's Association's recommended instructors is practically a neighbor was a stroke of luck.

I bought a 700 conversion because I fly "out west", and wanted the single engine performance. I don't really *need* the speed, but it can come in handy. For instance, I am colorblind and have a night flight restriction on my medical. Sometimes the extra speed means I can make the trip today, rather than waiting for tomorrow.

I was surprised by how easy the Aerostar is to fly. This has been said before, but the key is airspeed. Unlike the singles I'd flown in the past, I can't really "feel" the speed in that pressurized cabin. There are fewer cues, like wind noise or vibration, so I have to keep the airspeed indicator in my scan religiously. I know I'm still a novice, so my personal minimums are very high. I'll keep training -- insurance mandates it yearly anyhow -- and those minimums will drop as I get more comfortable.

I find the descent flexibility similar to my previous Bonanza. In the Bo, I'd lower the gear and drop like a stone. In the Aerostar, I just point the nose down and fly at 200+ KIAS, losing 2000 ft/min without breaking a sweat. Or slow below 174 KIAS and drop the flaps to 20 degrees to control the speed and still come down quickly. This kind of thing is important to me, since I like to stay high over terrain, and terrain seems to be between me and wherever I'm trying to go.

I had some range/load anxiety about the 700. They do consume a lot of fuel, and hence weight, limiting payload. I proved to myself that I can burn less fuel, and carry more weight for longer distances if I'm willing to fly slower. I have GAMIs and LOP works great. I even pushed the fuel flows down to ~11 GPH/engine just to see if I could: 23GPH, 178 KTAS @ 17,500. I won't be flight planning with this, but it was cool to see that it's possible.

[youtube]https://youtu.be/bsT2mhfwi4A[/youtube]

My wife is horrified that I haven't named the plane yet, so PM me if you have good Aerostar name ideas. The Bonanza was named Olive, after Mrs. Beech.

Dropping the Aerostar off with Gus Haussler for paint later this month. I may add winglets soon, too.

Thanks to everyone who shared their Aerostar experiences here, on Aerostar Forum, and on the AOA boards. I went into this ownership experience with eyes wide open. So far, so good. And I'm having a blast!

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2017, 09:47 

WWW  Profile

Congrats Josh! You have a great plane that will give you years of enjoyment.

As for names, how about Ted? As in Ted Smith.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2017, 09:53 

Post Likes: +347
Just can't do it.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2017, 14:43 

Post Likes: +192
Aircraft: C421, BE300, EMB500
Curious what y’all think about shoulder room in the A-Star? I think the Bonanza is too narrow. I prefer the width of a Lance/310/Navajo:
I would own a Barron in a second, except it’s the same width as the Bo.
I’m not a big guy, but have broad shoulders!

Reply to topic  [ 2880 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 79, 80, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85 ... 192  Next