banner
banner

17 Apr 2024, 21:25 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 2880 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 192  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Aerostars
PostPosted: 19 Aug 2017, 10:32 

Post Likes: +118
Company: Innovation Two
Aircraft: Piper PA 60
I have flown in Aerostars with or without the "spoilers" and nothing would suggest that they are needed for speed control. Flaps 10 can be used at any speed - and even pointed down hill - that will get you quickly into the flaps 20 speed range. Not long after - gear makes a great speed control mechanism. Gear down cycle is really fast - about 3 seconds and visible in this link

https://www.pond5.com/stock-footage/70759259/aerial-aircraft-landing-nose-cam-rear-facing.html

One caveat - don't drop the gear for speed then cycle it up, any speed at all and that nose wheel will have issues against airflow. Thay's why Aerostars have polished prop spinners.

Bob

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2017, 11:08 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1492
Aircraft: AEST
IFR Approach into Norfolk on Thursday ATC kept me at 5,000' vectoring me for a downwind for 23 (I'd called runway in sight), coming even with the end of 05, I reduced power to 18" (at cruise power, it takes a while and a big power reduction to get slowed up enough to put out the gear and flaps past 20, there was no need for speed once I was passed the airport) , well past midfield, ATC cleared me for the visual to 23.

Flaps 10
@150, gear-down, flaps -20
@140 flaps -40
Held 120 KTs.

Was able to fly a close pattern.
(Didn't go over the Bay)

http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1709/00291IL23.PDF

Speed brakes?

With a little forethought they really aren't necessary.

:cheers:

'---x-O-x---'

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2017, 12:20 

WWW  Profile

I just posted a version of this over on the A-F Web Site:

I thought there might be an interest here on BT.

If the Jeff's think it should be over on trip-talk, I'm happy to move it.

'Quick' trip report:
https://www.airnav.com/cgi-bin/fuelrout ... I2-GBD-PUC
https://www.airnav.com/cgi-bin/fuelrout ... FK-FGX-ORF

Some background:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_e ... ch_7,_1970

I grew up in Gainesville, Fl and my folks took us (kids) to Cross City to see the Eclipse (I was 8).

My Cub Scout Den (I was a terminal Bobcat) made pin hole cameras out of cardboard boxes and I was ready to see something amazing, the weather was overcast and what we saw was a couple minutes of darkness, that was it.
Disappointing.

In 1991, Mexico was due for an Eclipse and a friend who lived in Texas was going to drive down to see it, he offered to take me along. I went to my boss at (South Central Air) and asked for a few days off to go and see it and was refused!
Friend had a great adventure.
I logged a few more hours of PA-31 time.
When I received an offer from another airline later that summer, I gave notice and moved to Anchorage.

The moment I read about the August 31, 2017 Eclipse I was determined to see it under a clear sky.

I ordered Eclipse glasses.

Purchased a pop up shelter, and staged camping chairs and a cooler in the garage.

I started watching forcasts for the path of the Eclipse.

Got the plane ready to go, and lined up companions for the trip.

Both kids and Molly were otherwise occupied (LS, Turkey, and work), Bob (my friend and companion for many adventures) immediately volunteered and cleared his schedule, another couple expressed interest but ended up canceling late due to a family issue. My friend (and lawyer) Pat stepped into the breach. Pat flew with me to Washington to visit the WH a few years ago so he was comfortable with the idea of taking a trip in the Aerostar.

Attachment:
IMG_4201.JPG

8:00AM Sunday morning we loaded up my truck with enough supplies to spend a week climbing Mt. Everest and drove to the airport.

9:00 AM we were on our way.

First stop was Springfield, KY (6I2), enjoyed lunch in the fancy airport conference room.
Then a quick stop for fuel in Great Bend, Kansas (KGBD), HOT!
SS pump was down but the guys at the airport fueled us from the truck and gave me the SS price!
Crossed the Rocky Mountains just north of Colorado Springs, there was a fair amount of weather to work around, ATC had us climb from my planned 16K (only 20KT headwinds) to FL240.
Ground was obscured for about 1/2 the time and we weren't able to see Pikes Peak or Leadville, we saw just a little of Aspen.

Attachment:
IMG_4204.JPG

The clouds cleared over Utah and we had a nice view of mountains and desolate valleys descending into Price, Utah (KPUC).

Price is an interesting place.

Attachment:
IMG_4213.JPG

The region is a center for Utah's underground coal mining (Carbon County), the last ten years have been hard on coal miners so their economy is struggling, I hope things improve for that region of Utah.

The Ramada Inn sent a van to pick us up and after checking in, we went next door to enjoy good food, drink, and service at a near by restaurant. I puzzled over the gas station sign across from the restaurant when there was no gas station to be found.

Next morning they had the van ready to go at 5:30 for our ride to the airport (my goal was to beat the rush into Price).

We took off (narrowly missing a suicidal jack rabbit) just prior to sunrise and flew North over the mountains (clear skies this time) and into Idaho Falls (KIDA).

There were other planes but for an easterner, it didn't seem too busy.

The FBO (Red Baron Aviation) was prepared for Eclipse watchers and we were just ahead of the crowds.
Attachment:
IMG_4214.JPG

Attachment:
IMG_4216.JPG

Adam (the only guy on duty) parked us and fueled the plane for our post-Eclipse departure.

They had a beautiful piece of tree shaded freshly mowed grass next to their office reserved for Eclipse watchers, the even had a portapottie.

We set up our chairs and coolers, broke out the Eclipse glasses, and watched the planes arrive.

Dozens of business jets were coming in plus lots of light aircraft.

The business jets were going to the other side of the airport so I can not say anything about those folks, but the folks on our side were just like us, having fun and enjoying the social aspect of the experience.

As the sun disappeared behind the moon initially it wasn't obvious unless one looked at the sun (with glasses).

Attachment:
IMG_4220.JPG

Then as it got past 50% the temperature started to drop, at 90% you could see but it was like being next to a flood light at night, then the light went out. We could see the beads around the sun, and then just a ring of light.
People (including me) cheered and yelled, and walked around looking at the light on the distant clouds, and calling out stars as they came into view. Then the sun started to return, and the day started getting back to normal.

The people next to us had a brand new C-206 that had parked us in, they were cool and were happy to move out of our way so we could depart.

We loaded up and started engines.

Ground (freq) was crazy.

50 plus business jets were lined up on the taxi way from the west side of the airport and equal number of light aircraft were gaggling on our side and we needed the long runway.

Ground kept saying "stand by".

Folks kept calling for IFR departures.....

Finally, I followed some other planes heading north for the short runway (it couldn't be wrong if everyone else is doing it, Right?) and at the crossing taxiway held short and called, tower: "601PE, holding short of 17 at A for VFR departure to the East, I need the long runway"

They heard me!

They cleared me right behind the Gulfstream that was holding short for 20, in front of a Laguardia sized line of heavy iron.

Thanks!!!!

We were cleared to take off with a right downwind departure until we were clear of the class D.

Zoom, we were gone!

I-15S was backed up for miles with Eclipse traffic, and ADS-B traffic had planes departing from all the local airports.

I had a plan.

VFR at 17,500' Direct to Norfolk, NE (KOFK)

ATC was jammed.

Flight following wasn't happening.

(No kidding)

But they said they would allow planes to pick up clearances in the air ("in a minute" which seemed to be ATC code for 'nope').

We had a great view of the Tetons (don't see the resemblance) and Jackson Hole and finally found a controller who gave us our clearance and FL230 (30kt tailwind).

Attachment:
IMG_4221.JPG

By the time we reached Norfolk the crowds (and a large thunderstorm) were gone,

Quick turn at the SS pump and we were on our way, there were two Elk in the field next to the runway!

We had to get above some weather (with ice!), and ended up cleared for FL250 ('Our lady of blessed acceleration, don't fail me now'). 601P, heavy, hot temps, carrying some rime ice, climb performance wasn't happening, but the winglets did their job, and we made it, finally.

LOP wasn't happening either, just not enough power without exceeding 1650 TIT, IAS was in the 120s, Plan B was the old school solution, ROP 26" x 2300RPM 228-230 KTAS 17.5 /17.5 gph.

Tail wind picked up to 40-50 KTs and we were rolling.

Got into Flemingsburg, KY (KFGX) for gas just after dark, they are so proud of their SS pumps they are mentioned on their AWOS.

Back into the dark, (it is very dark north of the Flemmingsburg Airport).

It was a short leg (less than two hours) so altitude was FL190.

Landed in Norfolk less then 20 minutes behind my original plan (made without accounting for traffic and weather).

18 hours Hobbs

Approx 720 gallons of gas and eight quarts of oil (I get about 5 hours a quart).

Nothing broke.

There really isn't any substitute for an Aerostar, except another Aerostar.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

'---x-O-x---'

Last edited on 22 Aug 2017, 22:21, edited 7 times in total.

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2017, 12:57 

Post Likes: +1727
Aircraft: Avanti-Citabria
Forrest,

Great write up.
Totality was AWESOME! I was at A20 and a small BT gathering thanks to Jay Passmore

I propose we never mention total gallons burned on trips when flying ROP in A* :eek:

kidding....kinda sorta

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2017, 13:00 

WWW  Profile

Username Protected wrote:
Forrest,

Great write up.
Totality was AWESOME! I was at A20 and a small BT gathering thanks to Jay Passmore

I propose we never mention total gallons burned on trips when flying ROP in A* :eek:

kidding....kinda sorta

All the other legs were flown LOP!

12.7-13.5 gph/side -- 200-210KTAS.

Those extra 20-30 KTs aren't cheap, but they are fun!

Edit:

Checked fuel used (bought) total fuel used was around 650 gallons.

'---x-O-x---'

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2017, 20:21 

Post Likes: +54
Aircraft: C425, Pitts S2B
Great TR, Forrest!

Thanks for sharing. You sure make good use of that A*

PostPosted: 22 Aug 2017, 20:29 

Post Likes: +692
We had a great view of the Tetons (don't see the resemblance)

French girls are just a tad more perky...

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2017, 14:22 

Post Likes: +129
Company: Southwest Airlines
Aircraft: Baron E-55
Hello BT,

And good morning to all the Aerostar people.

I have been quite busy in recent months, but I have been checking in and on the lurk.

To Jim Christy, sorry I have not responded to your posts, but I will in due time.

My interests is still very strong, but so is the pull on my wallet for many other over due projects.

Life!!! :D

With my studies, I did come up with another inquiry on these fine aircraft.

My question has to do with the last version of the Aerostar that was made, in comparison with the other 700 model Aerostar aircraft.

In particular, I have a question about the Aerostars with the aft mounted intercoolers.

First, am I correct that these are only on the last 84' 702 models. How many of these were made.

Next, would there be any speed differences for these aircraft compared to the 700 model aircraft with the intercooler mounted on the bottom on the engine nacelle. They would appear to me to be aerodynamiclly superior. But I have not seen this stated or published in any form.

I have noticed that these last model aircraft are priced at a premium. Are there any advantages to these aircraft that would cause these to be priced higher, or are they just newer.

I know there are a few of you that have owned, or currently own these Aerostars with the aft mounted intercollers. What is your take on these aircraft. Did you pay a premium. Do you like them better. Are they faster or better than the other 700's.

I would like to know.

Any input is welcome.

Thanks again.

:cheers:

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2017, 20:08 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +288
Company: American Aviation, Inc.
Aircraft: C90,340,PA31T,PC-12
The 1984 models were equipped with 350 HP TIO-540-U2A contra-rotating engines (both rotating opposite each other but the opposite direction from counter-rotating) These airplanes will go the same speed as the converted 700's on the same fuel but with about 1 to 2" more MAP since the intercoolers are less efficient and more MAP is required to get the same power.

The 702P is a marketing name Aerostar gave to 350 hp converted Aerostars that have the gross wt. increase to 6850 lbs., the 225 Autopilot, and the 5.5 PSI cabin pressure increase.

All Aerostars are good but there are many minor differences.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2017, 20:14 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +288
Company: American Aviation, Inc.
Aircraft: C90,340,PA31T,PC-12
Aerostar now has an STC to operate all models including pressurized high gross wt. 700's on basic med rules. Among other minor changes the gross wt. is decreased to 6000 lbs. when operated under basic med but the airplane can also be operated at the higher gross wt. and higher altitudes if being operated by a pilot with a third class or higher medical.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2017, 23:50 

Attachment:
phpyhu1miPM.jpg

My fastest speed on a trip today

:D

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2017, 13:09 

Post Likes: +336
Aircraft: Aerostar, SR22,RV8,
Aerostar now has an STC to operate all models including pressurized high gross wt. 700's on basic med rules. Among other minor changes the gross wt. is decreased to 6000 lbs. when operated under basic med but the airplane can also be operated at the higher gross wt. and higher altitudes if being operated by a pilot with a third class or higher medical.

This is an excellent example of why Aerostar owners are so happy with the level of factory support.

Most Aerostars (all the non-pressurized versions and unmodified 601P and 602P airframes) already can be operated under Basic Med parameters. There are a few hundred airframes either modified to higher gross weights up to 6850# or the last few dozen Piper built with higher gross weight. Now all of these aircraft can be operated under Basic Med, with -zero- loss of utility if the pilot has an FAA medical.

AAC did this in about four months after the availability of Basic Med. Think about that.

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2017, 17:29 

I finally did it!
I posted a few more pics in the Introductions forum
This one is me taking delivery at the factory with Jim Christy and my Instructor Lester Kyle

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2017, 19:11 

Post Likes: +2854
Company: Looking
Aircraft: None
I finally did it!
This one is me taking delivery at the factory with Jim Christy and my Instructor Lester Kyle

Congrats. Great to see Lester is still teaching.
I am sure you will love it.

Tim

PostPosted: 29 Aug 2017, 22:16 

Post Likes: +49
Aircraft: None
I finally did it!

Looks awesome. Which model / what'll she do? Congratulations

Reply to topic  [ 2880 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 68, 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74 ... 192  Next