26 Apr 2024, 16:03 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Williams FLEX program ?
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2024, 18:33 

Post Likes: +1829
Aircraft: Piaggio Avanti
So there is apparently a way to extend non program Williams engines to 5k hours.

Anyone know anything about this?

https://skyway-mro.com/flex-program-ove ... fits-fj44/

I thought only Williams could work on Williams engines?

Post subject: Re: Williams FLEX program ?
PostPosted: 17 Apr 2024, 22:30 

Post Likes: +1829
Aircraft: Piaggio Avanti
Bumping this.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2024, 01:29 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +5545
Aircraft: Turbo Commander 680V
They must have an STC.

Just like the Petersen MOGAS STC, I doubt Ly/Conti approved of that. Yet it supersedes the manufacturers fuel recommendation in their type certificate. Must be something similar here.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2024, 03:34 

Post Likes: +449
Aircraft: CE525,PA31
I’m keen to hear feedback too. Been waiting and watching.

Andrew.

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2024, 14:42 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +782
Aircraft: Piaggio P180, TTx
Look at the bottom Anthony. They require Williams to do a HSI before its eligible. Off program I have heard Williams charges over 250K EACH for these IF they can work it in (8 month wait times I have heard).

Now if you can find one with BRAND NEW Hots maybe they would take it in the program but I the way I see the program if you want to go on the MORE program you HAVE to do hots right then to qualify whether they are timed out or not.

At least thats how I read it..

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2024, 17:00 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7346
Company: Jet Acquisitions
Username Protected wrote:
Look at the bottom Anthony. They require Williams to do a HSI before its eligible. Off program I have heard Williams charges over 250K EACH for these IF they can work it in (8 month wait times I have heard).

Now if you can find one with BRAND NEW Hots maybe they would take it in the program but I the way I see the program if you want to go on the MORE program you HAVE to do hots right then to qualify whether they are timed out or not.

At least thats how I read it..

Agreed, there's no way around the William's monopoly that I am aware of.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2024, 07:55 

Post Likes: +4797
Aircraft: G44, C501, C55, R66
In my opinion and the opinion of several FSDOs I have spoken to, you can use the 5,000 hour TBO on off program Williams without permission from anyone. So I don't particularly see the purpose of FLEX. And I definitely don't see the purpose of any of the Part 91 JT15D TBO extensions.

I think the best situation would be to find an on program Williams that just got hotted and then take it off program.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2024, 11:53 

WWW  Profile

In my opinion and the opinion of several FSDOs I have spoken to, you can use the 5,000 hour TBO on off program Williams without permission from anyone.

I think the best situation would be to find an on program Williams that just got hotted and then take it off program.

I don’t see how this can be since Williams classifies the engine events as inspections, unless the FAA is saying they can’t arbitrarily extend TBO’s on certain engines, just because they happen to be on the program.

There are issues with operating past TBO that all operators should consider.

1. Insurance- does skipping an engine maintenance event give your insurance company and out in the event of a loss?

2. Civil Liability- in the event of a rare but horrible event, will the Plaintiff’s attorney use the cost saving strategy of not following the manufacturers recommendations to establish wrongful actions by the defendant (you).

3. Loss of Resale Value- the reality is it is still difficult to sell any aircraft with engines that are past TBO, the reduction in sales price must be subtracted from the perceived savings. This discount is much higher on a Williams powered airplane where the legality and acceptance of doing so is questionable.

Not saying Mike is wrong here, just being devil’s advocate and pointing out some points of concern.

PostPosted: 20 Apr 2024, 12:47 

Post Likes: +3713
Aircraft: A36, R44, C525
In my opinion and the opinion of several FSDOs I have spoken to, you can use the 5,000 hour TBO on off program Williams without permission from anyone. So I don't particularly see the purpose of FLEX. And I definitely don't see the purpose of any of the Part 91 JT15D TBO extensions.

The Flex program requires trend monitoring but also to many buyers that dont know you can go 2,500 from last hot, it gives a perception of credibility that it is on an extension program.

Altitude is Everything.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2024, 08:32 

Post Likes: +4797
Aircraft: G44, C501, C55, R66
In my opinion and the opinion of several FSDOs I have spoken to, you can use the 5,000 hour TBO on off program Williams without permission from anyone.

I don’t see how this can be since Williams classifies the engine events as inspections, unless the FAA is saying they can’t arbitrarily extend TBO’s on certain engines, just because they happen to be on the program.

There are issues with operating past TBO that all operators should consider. I don't believe there are any real world issues here. For most part 91 guys, overhauling a well running turbine is financially irrational and doesn't do anything to decrease its already extremely low chance of quitting

1. Insurance- does skipping an engine maintenance event give your insurance company and out in the event of a loss? I don't believe this has ever happened. Policies are contracts and I've never seen this language in there

2. Civil Liability- in the event of a rare but horrible event, will the Plaintiff’s attorney use the cost saving strategy of not following the manufacturers recommendations to establish wrongful actions by the defendant (you). I also don't believe this has ever happened. A crocodile or Martian breaking into my house is also a theoretical possibility but not something I worry about.

3. Loss of Resale Value- the reality is it is still difficult to sell any aircraft with engines that are past TBO, the reduction in sales price must be subtracted from the perceived savings. This discount is much higher on a Williams powered airplane where the legality and acceptance of doing so is questionable. Probably true with newer airplanes but definitely not true with my legacy Citations. Remember net jets ran their engines to 11,200 hours without any overhauls on the cold section. Everyone wants to be a baller on a budget and operating a turbine aircraft on condition is 100% the way to do that without any loss in safety. In fact, if we weren't allowed to do that, a large percentage of these great airplanes would go in the trash vs fly another 25 years

Not saying Mike is wrong here, just being devil’s advocate and pointing out some points of concern.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2024, 16:13 

WWW  Profile

There are issues with operating past TBO that all operators should consider. I don't believe there are any real world issues here. For most part 91 guys, overhauling a well running turbine is financially irrational and doesn't do anything to decrease its already extremely low chance of quitting

1. Insurance- does skipping an engine maintenance event give your insurance company and out in the event of a loss? I don't believe this has ever happened. Policies are contracts and I've never seen this language in there

2. Civil Liability- in the event of a rare but horrible event, will the Plaintiff’s attorney use the cost saving strategy of not following the manufacturers recommendations to establish wrongful actions by the defendant (you). I also don't believe this has ever happened. A crocodile or Martian breaking into my house is also a theoretical possibility but not something I worry about.

3. Loss of Resale Value- the reality is it is still difficult to sell any aircraft with engines that are past TBO, the reduction in sales price must be subtracted from the perceived savings. This discount is much higher on a Williams powered airplane where the legality and acceptance of doing so is questionable. Probably true with newer airplanes but definitely not true with my legacy Citations. Remember net jets ran their engines to 11,200 hours without any overhauls on the cold section. Everyone wants to be a baller on a budget and operating a turbine aircraft on condition is 100% the way to do that without any loss in safety. In fact, if we weren't allowed to do that, a large percentage of these great airplanes would go in the trash vs fly another 25 years

We’re talking about Williams powered Citations, for the most part a different world.

The effects on resale value and potential liability are very real concerns. My opinions are formed by discussions with owners, not the other way around. I have clients tell me they are concerned about liability, I would NEVER tell them they shouldn’t be, because I don’t have enough money to pay their attorneys in the highly unlikely event that an accident happened and a personal injury attorney decided to make past TBO an issue.

In fact, I have two clients that are personal injury attorneys, one a very large PI firm, I’ll ask what they think.

PostPosted: 21 minutes ago 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +237
Company: Citation Jet Exchange
Aircraft: 58P C510 C525 Excel
Not related to the Flex program but an outlet to rant about Williams practices.

A CJ we manage was showing the Check 5 (2nd HSI) coming due at 6000 hours on our tracking software. I contacted Williams to schedule this, they replied the new HSI interval is 3,500 hours and the overhaul interval is 5,000 hours. Of course this is only because we are on the TAP program, non TAP owners aren't afforded this extension. They seem to keep pushing the hours further and further.

I suppose the plus side is we get to fly another 1,000 hours before a major maintenance event?

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]