banner
banner

19 Apr 2024, 21:00 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 2882 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 193  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: The definitive Piaggio P180 Avanti thread.
PostPosted: 07 Mar 2021, 00:38 

Post Likes: +7
Username Protected wrote:
What airports in the US banned the avanti?

Santa Monica Municipal for sure: https://www.smgov.net/departments/airpo ... px?id=8697
I think Naples FL, and Aspen and probably a lot more.

I am however more interested in the euro region: the P180 would match my mission profile, but if I can't operate into airports like Cannes (France) it is a no-go. Next would be countries like Switzerland and Germany. Those countries are ahead of the rest of Europe when it comes to noise abatement. Which would signaficantly reduce the aircraft usability.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2021, 03:33 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +400
Company: Capella Partners
Aircraft: P35, TW Pacer
What airports in the US banned the avanti?

Santa Monica Municipal for sure: https://www.smgov.net/departments/airpo ... px?id=8697
I think Naples FL, and Aspen and probably a lot more.

I am however more interested in the euro region: the P180 would match my mission profile, but if I can't operate into airports like Cannes (France) it is a no-go. Next would be countries like Switzerland and Germany. Those countries are ahead of the rest of Europe when it comes to noise abatement. Which would signaficantly reduce the aircraft usability.

DEFINITELY saw one in Aspen in October.

-J

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2021, 05:27 

Post Likes: +7
Missing the point: Due to noise some airports are banning the P180 in Europe. So the question is (was): any idea if the new "evo" props would be available for the older Avanti I or II. The Avanti I would be ideal because they give the biggest bang for the buck.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2021, 08:21 

Post Likes: +399
Aircraft: Aerostar 600A
Missing the point: Due to noise some airports are banning the P180 in Europe. So the question is (was): any idea if the new "evo" props would be available for the older Avanti I or II. The Avanti I would be ideal because they give the biggest bang for the buck.

“Banning”, or just wacking them with a noise “ tax “ ?

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2021, 08:30 

Post Likes: +5447
Company: French major
Aircraft: Ejet

“Banning”, or just wacking them with a noise “ tax “ ?

Quite a few aircraft types are banned from Cannes. And you have to follow a very precise flight path for the approach. I'm not sure if the online training is still mandatory.

In any case, a lot of airports/countries are now strongly enforcing noise abatement procedures and trajectories. It can get pretty expensive, pretty quickly.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2021, 08:38 

Post Likes: +399
Aircraft: Aerostar 600A

Quite a few aircraft types are banned from Cannes. And you have to follow a very precise flight path for the approach. I'm not sure if the online training is still mandatory.

In any case, a lot of airports/countries are now strongly enforcing noise abatement procedures and trajectories. It can get pretty expensive, pretty quickly.

Fabien - J’aimerais voir cette liste , j’y vais souvent à Cannes.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2021, 08:50 

Post Likes: +1727
Aircraft: Avanti-Citabria
@Brad. Which fuel flow is correct? Everything is matching up so nicely...except the l/r fuel flows diverge some? Is that consistent?

Left fuel flow of 320 is correct. Will get Right looked at next time she is in shop.

Jimmy at Flight Safety said when departing a noise abatement airport climb at full power and 135 knots while on airport property

Then pull back power and reduce rate of climb or even level crossing noise sensors.
I think the idea is to be 1000+ft higher and push noise signature level out the back VS toward the ground.

Seems like a pilot would need to know where the noise sensors were.

Everyone that has commented at my airport says it is not incredibly loud just different.

Me in cabin....way quieter than Aerostar

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2021, 10:45 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +5540
Aircraft: Turbo Commander 680V
It's not louder. In fact, its noise signature is lower than a King Air. It just sounds annoying. So the sound bans at these airports are purely to appease complainers. It's noise racism.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2021, 12:39 

Post Likes: +159
And the short answer about the new EVO props, to my knowledge, is that are not yet available for the Avanti I and II. Would be an expensive addition if they were, I'm assuming. And I could be wrong, however, but that's based on some anecdotal discussions at my airport awhile back (which hosts a service facility). The noise signature of an Avanti on takeoff from the ground is definitely unique if you haven't heard it.

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2021, 13:49 

Post Likes: +150
Aircraft: PA-28 / C172
In the pre-covid era I was used going to Cannes regularly (3/4 times a year, is only 60 NM west of my home airport LIMG) just to practice my English (*) and I remember seeing some P.180 there.

To fly there IFR you need to pass an online test and follow the noise abatement procedures that are in place, but I believe nothing else more than this.

Airgo (German charter operator P.180) lists LFMD as a regular destination.

As already discussed, the noise pressure is within the certification limit, it's the strange "tone" that makes it annoying ... It is mainly due to the interference between the fast exhaust gases with the propeller blades (and I'm still convinced that the same applies to the Starship, too, even if I've never heard one from live).

On the EVO, the modified exhaust shape (bean), scimitar blade propellers and new revs down to 1800 rpm result in lower sound pressure and less disturbing tone.

New exhausts and propeller are certified only on PT6A-66B engines and, in addition, require a revised EIS to support the new limits, not available on the older Avanti.

Although they are part of the large retrofit package for the Italian Air Force fleet, it is not planned to offer them in retrofit for the civilian market, both due to the technical limitations mentioned above, and to differentiate the fleet for marketing reasons (and for related costs, as well).

Daniele

(*) Can you imagine an Italian Sunday PPL pilot speaking to a French ATC controller in ICAO International English? :rofl: Even though I have a level 4 TEA with many 5 scores, when I listen to the live US ATC streams I have to admit that my language proficiency will never allow me to fly there safely :whiteflag: (and the French ATC, too! :hammer: but often a lady with a sexy French accent :whistle: ) ...

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2021, 15:59 

Post Likes: +2
Aircraft: Piaggio Avanti II
We operate an Avanti II, but on our field there is also an EVO. A few weeks back they (in the EVO) were on a short trip and encountered some moderate icing. It seems that with the props running at 1800 RPM and with the change in the exhaust ducts, it allowed ice to build up on the props. When the ice departed, it left a few nice dings in the side of the fuselage. I've never heard of this happening with the original Avanti or the Avanti II. Newer does not always mean better. I'm sure Piaggio engineers are looking at this one.
Chris

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2021, 16:06 

Post Likes: +150
Aircraft: PA-28 / C172
Newer does not always mean better. I'm sure Piaggio engineers are looking at this one.
Chris

I suggest to file an event with Piaggio customer support, this will help them to steer any verification in the right direction.

An operator feedback is always useful when looking at the product improvement, even when it's not a formal complain or a failure...

Daniele

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2021, 16:48 

Post Likes: +2
Aircraft: Piaggio Avanti II
I suggest to file an event with Piaggio customer support, this will help them to steer any verification in the right direction.

An operator feedback is always useful when looking at the product improvement, even when it's not a formal complain or a failure...

Daniele

Yes Daniele. They reported it the day it happened. It will be interesting to see if any other EVO operators have this issue. There's just so few of them to get good fleet statistics.
Chris

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2021, 17:19 

It's not louder. In fact, its noise signature is lower than a King Air. It just sounds annoying. So the sound bans at these airports are purely to appease complainers. It's noise racism.

Noise racism?
Maybe you meant your whole post to be in green, if so my apologies.

But Cannes is a really crowded place, and in the middle of summer, between the film festival and the Monaco Grand Prix, the airport is extremely busy. PPR/slot time busy, and people flying in are most often than not there to show off.
Get dropped off, take the rental ferrari out hoping to get photographed by a paparazzi (whilst pretending to be annoyed)...Meanwhile the jet repositions to Nice or la Mole, because there is not enough space on the apron.

That is a LOT of jet noise over a very small area, in a valley.
NOT a great Riviera experience if you happen to not be part of the people who can afford a private jet. That is, 99% of the people who work and live in Cannes, and who get to suffer the jet-setters.

Honestly, Cannes is a bit more strict than the average airport, but nothing extraordinary.
Try and fly in Nantes, with the microphones everywhere on departure. Or Orly. CDG. Frankfurt...

Just go online, watch the course, follow the trajectory.
Beware, the course is mandatory for IFR traffics, but the published noise abatement procedure and circuit is mandatory for IFR and VFR!

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2021, 17:21 

Fabien - J’aimerais voir cette liste , j’y vais souvent à Cannes.

Avec plaisir mon ami:
https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/jorf/id/ ... 0031177294

Ce n'est pas juste une liste (c'est ce que j'avais en tête quand j'y bossais), c'est carrément un arrêté!

II. - Sous réserve des dispositions prévues à l'article 3 du présent arrêté, l'aérodrome de Cannes-Mandelieu est interdit aux aéronefs équipés de turboréacteurs dont la masse maximale certifiée au décollage est supérieure à trente-cinq tonnes et aux aéronefs équipés de turbopropulseurs dont la masse maximale certifiée au décollage est supérieure à vingt-deux tonnes.
III. - Sous réserve des mêmes dispositions, aucun aéronef certifié chapitre 2 ne peut atterrir ou décoller de l'aérodrome.
IV. - Sous réserve des mêmes dispositions, aucun aéronef équipé de turboréacteurs certifié chapitre 3 avec une marge cumulée inférieure à 13 EPNdB ne peut atterrir ou décoller de l'aérodrome. »

Reply to topic  [ 2882 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79 ... 193  Next