banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 10:20 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 2839 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 ... 190  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: The definitive Piaggio P180 Avanti thread.
PostPosted: 21 Feb 2021, 14:47 

Post Likes: +872
Company: ElitAire
Aircraft: Piaggio P180
Brad:

I'm just a little ahead of you. Now own SN-1063, it's at ICJS now for Garminization (scheduled to start next week) and Afterglow is doing the interior at the same time. The experience with both has been great so far. With all projects I am concerned about schedule.

While I would like to go to FSI, I really have no interest in learning PL21 which I'll never use. I plan on doing in plane initial/learning then hope to find a way to get some sim time that focuses on the things that are good to do in the sim but don't require PL21 knowledge.

I'm coming out of a MU-2 and have basically flown the same Garmin stack for a decade. I hope that knowledge/experience transfers well.

I'm scheduled for paint at Sureflight in Coatesville PA in the fall. I've worked with them before - they are great people. You can check out Premier 1 Driver's experience at SureFlight on YouTube. The sales folks at Stevens in SC have been very responsive/professional - you could check them out as well.

I have used a Best Tug for the MU-2 and it's been awesome. I think the GPU function would only be valuable for powering up the avionics (not starting), but don't know that for certain.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2021, 14:52 

Post Likes: +37
And my Avanti 1 is lining up for ICJS for late March...they will busy with these Garmin installs!

Getting interior at rosewood while garmin is in progress...paint too.

Also really interested in training outside of FSI due to proline focus. I've got a few conversations going with some in plane instructors. I'll share details when back to my PC in case anyone has experience.

Also used Bryon, and he is great.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2021, 15:07 

Post Likes: +18
Aircraft: Citation Mustang
So how does it work to get the interior done at the same time as the Garmin upgrade? My Garmin is scheduled for April 19th. Do you need to bring the plane to the interior shop first and then they take everything out to refinish? Then take it to Tulsa for the Garmin?

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2021, 15:11 

Post Likes: +37
Rosewood is like a 1.5hr drive from icjs. So we will fly to rosewood, get exterior paint and they take out the interior. We fly it to icjs mostly stripped.

After garmin work, rosewood will drive up to icjs and install it there.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2021, 15:14 

ICJS is busy! I'm supposed to start 3/1 be done 4/15. It would be good to know if there is anyone "in between" us.

In my circumstance, ICJS/Afterglow are coordinating and work will be done same time/same place. As I understand it, the vast majority of the interior work is done out of the airplane. The in-airplane part might be a week at the beginning and 1.5 weeks at the end.
I believe they have to pull much of the interior to do the avionics install, so it works well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Feb 2021, 15:23 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +8303
Company: OAA
Aircraft: UMF3, UBF 2, P180 II
Username Protected wrote:
Congrats Brad -- due to all the great info and contributors to this thread, I've decided to join the party and upgrade my Citation Mustang to a Piaggio Avanti. I just put a 2002 Avanti I under contract late last week. Hopefully we'll make it successfully through pre-buy and I'll join the ownership club. The market is pretty tight, so thanks to Bryon Mobley for all his efforts and expertise. I have a few questions for all the Piaggio owners on this thread.

Congrats Brent you're gonna love it!

Quote:
Training and Insurance -- I'll probably get my insurance quote back next week. For the new owners --was FSI required or did you get other choices? If you did FSI, would you do it again? Since I'm completely upgrading the avionics, I'll not sure how much a PL21 sim will help? I've done FSI a couple of times in the Mustang, it's expensive, long and regimented, but otherwise very good.

I had the option of FSI plus mentor time or the guy in Houston who does in airplane training. I could never reach the guy in Houston so FSI. I went in October and got word I'd been exposed to Covid on first morning so I bailed. I wasn't impressed with their Covid precautions while there so planning on going back in April after I get my vaccinations.

I did in airplane training in addition and have been flying with another pilot. Given that I'm not flying more than about once per month with a new airframe, new to me avionics, etc. I'm comfortable flying with a copilot for a bit longer. Should have 75-100 hours before I do that. I'm also a new twin pilot so I'm happy with being cautious.

Quote:
Upgrades -- My plan is to get essentially a new airplane. I'm scheduled for the full Gamin upgrade (G600Txi's + GTN750Xi's) at Intercontinental, then I'll get a brand new interior and paint. Any advice on the paint and interior? Any shops you would recommend?

I'd take a hard look at ICJS for the avionics upgrades. I've heard of other installs they've had to correct and think they're the gold standard. Matt and Anthony will definitely have useful experience here.

Quote:
Tug -- I have hangers in both Iowa and Wyoming and realize I have no way to get that wide nosewheel onto my tug and into my hanger. Thinking about getting a couple of Best Tugs with the double wide nosewheel holder. For those that have these, do you ever use the GPU function?

I needed a bit of lift and some oomph to go up a 2.5 degree slope. Best Tugs custom engineered a tug for me and you cannot beat the customer service. It's a great tug! I thought the gpu was not necessary as I already had one.

Quote:
Other-- Although I'm not new to turbine ownership, this will be the first turboprop I have flown/owned. Any advice or prep I can do while I wait for the airplane?

I feel for you! Been there! If you're going to FSI go ahead and pay and get their materials and start studying. Take all the manuals from the plane when it's in the shop and study. There is a LOT to read and learn.

Quote:
As you can imagine, I've compared the Piaggio extensively to the Mustang. I really like the Mustang, so this was a difficult decision for me. The biggest advantage for me is cabin size and noise. My normal milk run in the Mustang is 4-6 people from Iowa to Wyoming (700nm). With 6 people/bags with winter winds this trip is really tight in the Mustang. It appears that I could take this trip with up to 10 in the Piaggio pretty easily.

Piece of cake. And Pax will be more comfortable. You will have a tighter cockpit but it's still pretty comfortable once you're in there.

Quote:
The Piaggio is a bit faster (30-40) knots, holds just a bit more fuel (20 gal.) and is a bit more fuel efficient, so I expect the range to be better. Also the real bathroom is an add.

In terms of costs, the initial capital (all in 1.5M) is similar and I hope the ongoing costs (I use $1,000/hour in the Mustang) and reliability will be similar. Time will tell.

I really like the Mustang. Tried talking myself into one several times. I really, really, like the Piaggio. Hope you will too.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2021, 16:16 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +3662
Company: Aviation Tools / CCX
Aircraft: TBM700C2
Although I'm not new to turbine ownership, this will be the first turboprop I have flown/owned.

You are going to love Beta/Reverse!

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2021, 17:28 

Question for the "Matts" that are getting the new Garmin or for anyone else that uses a Garmin GSR 56 and Iridium for inflight phone/texts. Did you guys decide to go for this? Trying to decide if it's worth the $18k?

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2021, 18:10 

WWW  Profile

Question for the "Matts" that are getting the new Garmin or for anyone else that uses a Garmin GSR 56 and Iridium for inflight phone/texts. Did you guys decide to go for this? Trying to decide if it's worth the $18k?

Brent,

I had that in my TBM and found it occasionally useful. I have a Sat phone installed in my P180 but have not turned the service on. I have not done as, upon reflection, I used the service so little in my former plane that I concluded it was not worth the monthly subscription.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2021, 19:24 

Post Likes: +1819
Aircraft: Piaggio Avanti
I feel like I should get some sort of sticker for being the first on BT to launch into Piaggio-land.

Re:brad and your pilot. Where is he based? Might have some trips coming up where I need a pilot. Please ping me his info.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2021, 19:47 

WWW  Profile

I feel like I should get some sort of sticker for being the first on BT to launch into Piaggio-land.

Re:brad and your pilot. Where is he based? Might have some trips coming up where I need a pilot. Please ping me his info.

You're a pioneer! :thumbup:

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2021, 19:56 

I am grateful -- but I do think you got the "I bought a Piaggio when they were cheap and unloved" sticker!

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2021, 20:04 

+10. Anthony was a leader of the pack and reaped those rewards. But then all his damp panel pictures drove prices up a minimum of 20%. Sellers owe him some $$.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2021, 20:26 

Post Likes: +1819
Aircraft: Piaggio Avanti
It really is an interesting niche for the owner pilot. Nice blend of both jet and turboprop benefits.

The Garmin panel really has given new life to the older airframes. I feel like Piaggio could remodel the evo a bit, put in Garmin and sell more planes. The Garmin stack is just so easy for single pilot.

PostPosted: 21 Feb 2021, 22:50 

Post Likes: +1712
Aircraft: Avanti-Citabria
YEAH BRENT!!

Does this make 6 BT Avanti owners now?

I think time in your airplane is crucial prior to going to Flight Safety.
I had 12-14 hours
Definitely would have flown more and more approaches if Instructor had been available.

For all but the most accomplished pilots I think Flight Safety Simulator is essential.
We have only 213 Avanti in the world flying and we have access to a great full motion sim.
I plan to return for another sim day within 3-4 months and to attend recurrent yearly.

Aerostar was kinda fast so a bit surprised that one of my biggest challenges is speed control.
My biggest challenge so far hands down has been Proline 21.
It's coming along though and will be awesome once mastered.

Wife's first flight today
We flew about 100 miles SE to view the ocean, Wilmington and beaches south to Myrtle Beach then back on RALSN 3 arrival. Gentle climbs, gentle descents.
I passed as her pilot today although she did ask why we spead up and slowed down when coming in for landing :hide:
Main thing she noticed was how much less vibration there was VS Aerostar...well, other than this huge awesome cabin.

This elephant is 1/4 eaten now....maybe

Reply to topic  [ 2839 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76 ... 190  Next