banner
banner

28 Apr 2024, 04:24 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 2886 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124 ... 193  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: The definitive Piaggio P180 Avanti thread.
PostPosted: 23 Jul 2022, 10:36 

Post Likes: +5181
Company: Mayo Clinic
Aircraft: Planeless in RST
Also banned at 07FA (Ocean Reef Airport in Key Largo, FL), along with any Garrett-engined turboprops.[/quote]

Ocean Reef is Private. Santa Monica is communist controlled.[/quote]

Funny considering the dozens of multi million dollar homes literally within a stone’s throw.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2022, 08:56 

Post Likes: +1829
Aircraft: Piaggio Avanti
I thought there was one fusion equipped Avanti floating around.

Have also heard a rumor that there might eventually be a garmin upgrade for Avanti II - would require the install of the garmin CAS panel. Would enable that to be added for Avanti I’s as well. Garmin AP would be part of deal too.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2022, 10:06 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +8445
Company: OAA
Aircraft: UMF3, UBF 2, P180 II
If there was a Garmin panel, or Fusion, available for the II I wouldn't buy it. Proline 21 is a very robust system and works very well. Garmin's graphics are nice but not necessary. The PL21 user interface is fast and fairly intuitive once you get the hang of it. Why would anyone want to spend the money?

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2022, 10:25 

Post Likes: +1019
Aircraft: Cessna 182M
Username Protected wrote:
If there was a Garmin panel, or Fusion, available for the II I wouldn't buy it. Proline 21 is a very robust system and works very well. Garmin's graphics are nice but not necessary. The PL21 user interface is fast and fairly intuitive once you get the hang of it. Why would anyone want to spend the money?

Because Garmin does not dip into your pocketbook for much of anything after you invest in their kit, unlike the update pricing for ProLine? Would be interesting to look at the lifetime cost difference of the two systems, even assuming the plane came with 21 and thus no install costs.

RAS

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2022, 11:29 

Post Likes: +37

Have also heard a rumor that there might eventually be a garmin upgrade for Avanti II - would require the install of the garmin CAS panel. Would enable that to be added for Avanti I’s as well. Garmin AP would be part of deal too.

I think there is also one flying with the Honeywell Primus Epic. It was for sale about 2 years ago.

PostPosted: 24 Jul 2022, 12:57 

WWW  Profile

Because Garmin does not dip into your pocketbook for much of anything after you invest in their kit, unlike the update pricing for ProLine? Would be interesting to look at the lifetime cost difference of the two systems, even assuming the plane came with 21 and thus no install costs.

RAS

I get that. But you can pay a lot of annual service contracts for the capex of a new system.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2022, 13:51 

Post Likes: +15

I think there is also one flying with the Honeywell Primus Epic. It was for sale about 2 years ago.

1037 was equipped with Primus Epic and was sold earlier this year. I have not heard of anything with Fusion... Interestingly enough, I was in Genoa in June and saw a Police/Military P180 that had been retrofitted by Piaggio with Proline 21.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2022, 13:51 

Post Likes: +15

1037 was equipped with Primus Epic and was sold earlier this year. I have not heard of anything with Fusion... Interestingly enough, I was in Genoa in June and saw a Police/Military P180 that had been retrofitted by Piaggio with Proline 21.

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2022, 14:41 

Post Likes: +150
Aircraft: PA-28 / C172
The Prius Epic was developed by Canadian Marinvent (was/is part of esterline) many years ago and extensively used as test bed for some fancy developments. Not something a standard STC company could ever done for any single aircraft.

The upgrade to PL21 for older Avanti is part of the package of the Italian military fleet update deal, some sort of government support to keep the company alive.
Certainly something that only Piaggio could afford due to it’s complexity.
The upgrade address also many other A/C systems, too bad installing a 20 y.o. Avionics to 30 y.o. Fuselages... A missed opportunity for something really “new”. PL21 is a workhorse but starts to show the age... not easy to upgrade, not easy to interface to new systems, expensive to fulfill new mandates, $$$ to repair.

Fusion may not be the best solution, but it is new and considered a faster upgrade thanks to the commonalities with the PL21 although the promised development slowed down a bit... Just think about the effort required to certify a brand new EIS or Autopilot.
A fusion equipped fuselage was on display in 2015 at the Dubai Airshow.
The development started for the MPA derivative with the civil application in mind and never come to the market. There was a picture back on this thread.

Next time don’t stop to Genoa and ask a visit in Villanova where the Fusion prototype should be to Rest (In Peace?)

My 2 cents and strictly personal opinions here!

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2022, 14:53 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +3719
Company: Aviation Tools / CCX
Aircraft: TBM700C2
The Prius Epic was developed by Canadian Marinvent (was/is part of esterline) many years ago and extensively used as test bed for some fancy developments. Not something a standard STC company could ever done for any single aircraft.

I don't think there is any ownership between Marinvent and Esterline. Marinvent is owned by John Maris still as far as I know. They did have a P180 in the past that they used as a flight testbed, and they develop Level A software for most of the major avionics mfrs. I don't doubt they worked on PL21. BTW, they also developed JeppView.

I have used them for DO-178 cert in the past, great guys who do what they say (although pricey).

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2022, 15:30 

Post Likes: +150
Aircraft: PA-28 / C172

I don't think there is any ownership between Marinvent and Esterline. Marinvent is owned by John Maris still as far as I know. They did have a P180 in the past that they used as a flight testbed, and they develop Level A software for most of the major avionics mfrs. I don't doubt they worked on PL21. BTW, they also developed JeppView.

I have used them for DO-178 cert in the past, great guys who do what they say (although pricey).

Ok Terry, it does not change a lot who own marinvent.
That is a very special bird, Not a common one, is what I wanted to say.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2022, 03:18 

Post Likes: +5
Company: JRR Aircraft Management, LLC
Aircraft: PA28,A36,PC-12,CL300
What’s the average approach speed for the Piaggio and do they have the 10kt tailwind landing restriction like most? I was in Eagle a week or so ago and landed just before some weather came thru, shortly after the wind shifted to a 15 gusting 25kt tailwind for 25. Showers and storms every direction except north and a rough ride on the approach so a go around would have been sporty. As soon as I parked and opened the door the wind had shifted and a Piaggio goes by at what appeared to be a very high rate of speed with the tailwind. Everyone paused to watch it while unloading and shortly after it taxied up and parked in front of us like normal. I’m guessing reverse and brakes are good? I would have definitely had to abort and go around without any consideration, I wouldn’t be able to stay on approach speed and glide path with the tailwind but I was impressed that it landed. I’ve never flown one and I have a uneducated opinion that they use a lot of runway but that landing was definitely impressive.

* I’ve never been offered the weather from tower without an inquiry. They possibly didn’t know the winds until they were at the runway.

PostPosted: 27 Jul 2022, 07:06 

Post Likes: +1829
Aircraft: Piaggio Avanti
I am not sure I would intentionally land in the weather you described but being based near Denver, you get a lot of crazy winds. Plane does fine with a little tailwind, reverse works well and brakes are solid. I am not aware of any published limitations although at high DA you need to pay attention to wheel speed limit.

The plane is certified for steep approaches too which is nice at mtn airports. You can be at 1000’, wait for runway to disappear under nose, pull power to idle and land on the numbers. It’s bonkers how it can not pick up speed in a very steep approach. Definitely an advantage over a jet.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2022, 03:03 

Thank you for all the commentary, it provides useful information.

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2022, 07:22 

WWW  Profile

What’s the average approach speed for the Piaggio and do they have the 10kt tailwind landing restriction like most?

Jeff,

Speed varies of course but I generally see computed Vref of 117. Sometimes it's a bit higher but I'm generally pretty light.

Reply to topic  [ 2886 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123, 124 ... 193  Next