banner
banner

28 Mar 2024, 10:19 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 2839 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 190  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: The definitive Piaggio P180 Avanti thread.
PostPosted: 25 Aug 2020, 08:47 

Post Likes: +1819
Aircraft: Piaggio Avanti
off topic, but Michael, why have a piston plane when you can fly your pc12 around?

unless I was doing 100 mile or less flights, seems like additional hours on the Pilatus would be less cost and a lot safer than anything with a piston in it.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2020, 10:12 

Post Likes: +7090
Aircraft: PC12NG, G3Tat
Username Protected wrote:
off topic, but Michael, why have a piston plane when you can fly your pc12 around?

unless I was doing 100 mile or less flights, seems like additional hours on the Pilatus would be less cost and a lot safer than anything with a piston in it.

Indeed it is. In the islands it's a little easier to get someone to jump in the piston and come pick me up rather than find a pilot, flying him to the PC12 and then having him/her come pick us up. When moving around on the boat and still wanting to have access to the airplane, this works great. Rick O is tired of having to schlepp me around the islands........

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2020, 10:55 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +8303
Company: OAA
Aircraft: UMF3, UBF 2, P180 II

Indeed it is. In the islands it's a little easier to get someone to jump in the piston and come pick me up rather than find a pilot, flying him to the PC12 and then having him/her come pick us up. When moving around on the boat and still wanting to have access to the airplane, this works great. Rick O is tired of having to schlepp me around the islands........

I think you need a Waco then. You only need two seats and you have enough room for the parachute. Plus the Waco is naturally air conditioned, has great flying qualities and is way cooler. Your kids would like it much better. I've had a Cirrus and it's a great plane. But the choice between SR22 and YMF5 (or even better UPF7) isn't even hard...

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2020, 10:58 

Post Likes: +6409
Company: Power/mation
Aircraft: 1963 Debonair B33
Well, if it is picking him up at the boat, there is only one choice.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2020, 20:11 

Post Likes: +13324
Aircraft: TU-104
There is another option...

Attachment:
float cirus.jpg

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2020, 10:53 

WWW  Profile

Making progress! The plane has finished its pre buy inspection and negotiation of squawks at Intercontinental Jet Services in Tulsa and they are busy working through the discrepancies. This Avanti may be the lowest time airframe in the fleet and with only one owner but there are always squawks. Even my TBM which had just come out of a C+ inspection and hot section had a few things to clear up.

Although the ADSB upgrade had been done, including an upgraded WAAS GNSS they LPV upgrade had not. That's important to me so we're doing it "while we're in there". The prices on Collins gear, compared to Garmin, are eye watering to say the least. And I have found it very confusing to figure out exactly what you need to have to accomplish various capabilities but I'm learning. This install has a file server and weather thank goodness. One thing I'm going to miss is Sirius music so iTunes is getting a cash injection too.

I've taken the Collins/King PL21 course a couple of times to get ready. Frankly, it's not very good. I'm looking forward to getting in the cockpit with a gpu and learning the old fashioned way.

Getting my hangar ready is not without expenditures either unfortunately. I have an essentially brand new (1 year and 6-7 uses) Best Tugs B12 with high lift option but the nose wheel cradle won't handle the Avanti's dual nosewheel width at 1.55 inches. With a 2 degree slope and 14 foot door opening I need lift and torque. Mark Patey and his crew at Best Tugs have custom designed a B18 tug for me that is in the process of final engineering and will be delivered in about 5 weeks. I can't say enough good things about how helpful and responsible the Best Tugs team is and their product is excellent. They didn't charge me anything for the design work either as they will have an extension to their product line.

I should be able to get the plane out of the shop and start training at the end of the month. I can't wait!

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2020, 11:06 

Post Likes: +311
Aircraft: C182
Tony,
Thanks for the report of your ‘adventure’. Am sure it will all be worthwhile.
Best,
Tom

Last edited on 13 Sep 2020, 11:51, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2020, 11:49 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1955
Aircraft: BE-TBD
Great update Tony, I'm really enjoying reading about your journey into the Piaggio world. It's a dream airplane for sure. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2020, 11:56 

Post Likes: +150
Aircraft: PA-28 / C172
Well done, Tony!

May I ask if you got the Piaggio ADS-B Out SB or a STC?

Daniele

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2020, 12:00 

Post Likes: +256
Making progress! The plane has finished its pre buy inspection and negotiation of squawks at Intercontinental Jet Services in Tulsa and they are busy working through the discrepancies. This Avanti may be the lowest time airframe in the fleet and with only one owner but there are always squawks. Even my TBM which had just come out of a C+ inspection and hot section had a few things to clear up.

Although the ADSB upgrade had been done, including an upgraded WAAS GNSS they LPV upgrade had not. That's important to me so we're doing it "while we're in there". The prices on Collins gear, compared to Garmin, are eye watering to say the least. And I have found it very confusing to figure out exactly what you need to have to accomplish various capabilities but I'm learning. This install has a file server and weather thank goodness. One thing I'm going to miss is Sirius music so iTunes is getting a cash injection too.

I've taken the Collins/King PL21 course a couple of times to get ready. Frankly, it's not very good. I'm looking forward to getting in the cockpit with a gpu and learning the old fashioned way.

Getting my hangar ready is not without expenditures either unfortunately. I have an essentially brand new (1 year and 6-7 uses) Best Tugs B12 with high lift option but the nose wheel cradle won't handle the Avanti's dual nosewheel width at 1.55 inches. With a 2 degree slope and 14 foot door opening I need lift and torque. Mark Patey and his crew at Best Tugs have custom designed a B18 tug for me that is in the process of final engineering and will be delivered in about 5 weeks. I can't say enough good things about how helpful and responsible the Best Tugs team is and their product is excellent. They didn't charge me anything for the design work either as they will have an extension to their product line.

I should be able to get the plane out of the shop and start training at the end of the month. I can't wait!

PL21 is a great system. First hours on it can be frustrating and PL21 seems unfriendly. After a few flights its very handy. Its logic seems to be, start airport, finish airport; then which airways do use. Not a great direct to system.

Rgs
Patrick

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2020, 12:43 

Post Likes: +3631
Company: FAA Flight Check
Aircraft: King Air 300F/C90GTx

PL21 is a great system. First hours on it can be frustrating and PL21 seems unfriendly. After a few flights its very handy. Its logic seems to be, start airport, finish airport; then which airways do use. Not a great direct to system.

Rgs
Patrick

Patrick -

Can you give me some insight to what you mean as “not a great direct to system”?
I use it quite often as direct to any number of navigational uses.
I might not be understanding what you are finding fault with the PL21.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2020, 12:50 

Post Likes: +256

Rgs
Patrick

Patrick -

Can you give me some insight to what you mean as “not a great direct to system”?
I use it quite often as direct to any number of navigational uses.
I might not be understanding what you are finding fault with the PL21.

Hi Brian,
Sure, the PL21 I find more suitable for IFR and airways. You cant simply start it up and tell it to go direct to a fix (that I am aware) or airport. In a Garmin you can do that sort of inputs. Once your flight plan is loaded in the PL21, then yes, you can go direct to any intersection or airport.
Rgs
Patrick

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2020, 13:26 

WWW  Profile

Well done, Tony!

May I ask if you got the Piaggio ADS-B Out SB or a STC?

Daniele

Looks like CMD Flight Solutions STC.

PostPosted: 13 Sep 2020, 13:45 

Post Likes: +3631
Company: FAA Flight Check
Aircraft: King Air 300F/C90GTx
Hi Brian,
Sure, the PL21 I find more suitable for IFR and airways. You cant simply start it up and tell it to go direct to a fix (that I am aware) or airport. In a Garmin you can do that sort of inputs. Once your flight plan is loaded in the PL21, then yes, you can go direct to any intersection or airport.
Rgs
Patrick

Ok....I’ll to try next time just to go to the legs later without putting in a departure or arrival airport.....but I never do that in my operations since I’m usually going to an airport for some work or another.
But what I do regularly is input a departure and destination, then on the legs page just put in any airport identifier you want and DIR to will get you a straight line there.
Now if when you finally get to that airport, if you want any approaches you’ll have to load that airport as the destination airport on the Flt plan page.

Are we saying the same thing here or talking in circles around each other?
Feel free to send me a PM if you’d like to discuss further. Don’t want to derail the Avanti thread here :D

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2020, 19:05 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +768
Aircraft: Piaggio P180, TTx
Flew by Hurricane Sally today enroute ADS to CHS .....

FL350. +10/ISA, 365 knots 95 gph.....and quiet as a church mouse...

Attachment:
ABE8E407-7EB0-41C2-BE0C-85C9809E026D.jpeg

Reply to topic  [ 2839 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43 ... 190  Next