What about a suck and blow(337)?

Post subject: Re: Choosing a twin for a short grass strip
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2015, 13:50 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +5765
Company: Kokotele Guitar Works
Aircraft: C-182RG, C-172, PA28
Username Protected wrote:
Take a look at the Angel 44. These planes are no nonsense STOL twins. I was pretty hot on them 6 or 7 years ago. They are relatively cheap to buy and operate. I was looking for a plane to operate in an out of strips in South America and the Caribbean.

Service ceiling with an engine out is only 3700'?

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2015, 14:43 

Post Likes: +6448
Company: Power/mation
Aircraft: 1963 Debonair B33
Take a look at the Angel 44. These planes are no nonsense STOL twins. I was pretty hot on them 6 or 7 years ago. They are relatively cheap to buy and operate. I was looking for a plane to operate in an out of strips in South America and the Caribbean.

Now here is the downside. I contacted an owner who had good things to say about the plane and also the support. However, he mentioned to me the engines ran hot. I asked how hot and he said CHTS in the 450F range. YIKES, I said.

I contacted Master to see if he or the folks at gami could help. The answer was that there are so few of these planes that its not worth the effort to design a baffle fix to overheating problem.

These planes have potential and perhaps they have solved the overheating problem. When I discussed it with them they seemed perplexed as the CHT limit was 450F and they seemed to think all was good.

Interesting...
I think I have seen some pusher configurations where they put a small stamped fan blade doohickey where the spinner backplate would be to help pull air thru the nacelle.

Might be worth mentioning to them.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2015, 17:00 

Post Likes: +552
Aircraft: F33A,Tecnam P2008
A few hundred hours in a Twin Otter! :woot: That must have been nearly 1000 miles. :duck:

No. I think it actually was more like 900 miles. :lol:

Metro Airlines from Clear Lake City (NASA folks) to Houston IAH saved countless hours compared to a car. Every plane has a perfect mission.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2015, 18:12 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1712
Every plane has a perfect mission.
Absolutely correct, Glenn.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2015, 20:20 

Post Likes: +238
Aircraft: King Air, 1900, 737
Second or third had info but I've heard that the Angel props are quite susceptible to FOD. True or not I'm not sure.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2015, 01:03 

Post Likes: +45
Aircraft: A36
I am in the process of selling my B36TC and it has been an agonizing decision to say the least. My wife and I want something that we can load up with grandkids and go to Florida and Colorado. This will require a minimum payload of 800lbs with enough fuel to make a 650 nm trip. I would not leave my 2,300' strip loaded, but I still want to base the plane here.
I have talked to several of the BT guys and it seems I have only a couple options. One is a J50 Twin Bonanza, and the other is a 414 with the R/STOL kit. I know the T-bone will be a good fit, but the thought of pressurization and boots makes me want to consider the 414.
What are your thoughts?
I am currently talking to Gregg about a beautiful J50 and he has been wonderful!, I just want to make sure I am not missing something here.

http://www.vulcanair.com/vr-aircraft
several variants and some used on market.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2015, 01:21 

Post Likes: +62
Aircraft: ‘92 Baron 58
I am in the process of selling my B36TC and it has been an agonizing decision to say the least. My wife and I want something that we can load up with grandkids and go to Florida and Colorado. This will require a minimum payload of 800lbs with enough fuel to make a 650 nm trip. I would not leave my 2,300' strip loaded, but I still want to base the plane here.
I have talked to several of the BT guys and it seems I have only a couple options. One is a J50 Twin Bonanza, and the other is a 414 with the R/STOL kit. I know the T-bone will be a good fit, but the thought of pressurization and boots makes me want to consider the 414.
What are your thoughts?
I am currently talking to Gregg about a beautiful J50 and he has been wonderful!, I just want to make sure I am not missing something here.

Sorry, I'm a bit late to this discussion, and while I dream about Shrike Commanders and 58 Barons and such, this is the exact mission (grandkids to FL & CO) that I bought into my 75 A36 for.
841 lbs payload with full fuel (74 gal) will easily fly 650 nm, baring huge headwinds. And tip tanks would push that over 1000nm.
What did they do to the 36 from A to B?

Roger

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2015, 09:38 

Post Likes: +2617
Aircraft: B757/767
Grass strip. 1000 pounds for 1000 miles.

Sounds like a problem looking for a Tbone solution.

A320 Type 02/2022

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2015, 12:12 

Post Likes: +87
Aircraft: V35B
What are your thoughts?

http://www.vulcanair.com/vr-aircraft
several variants and some used on market.

The Partenavia/Vulcanair aircraft have always intrigued me, especially the Observer model with the incredible view. Twin engine, simple engines, 160kt cruise, long legs, haul a ton. Why don't we see more of these? I'm sure I'm missing something!

https://youtu.be/V80BVmPb2FQ

https://youtu.be/juG0-cXLipM

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2015, 12:22 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +5540
Aircraft: Turbo Commander 680V

The Partenavia/Vulcanair aircraft have always intrigued me, especially the Observer model with the incredible view. Twin engine, simple engines, 160kt cruise, long legs, haul a ton. Why don't we see more of these? I'm sure I'm missing something!

Because the US aircraft buyer is about as conservative as the Spanish inquisition. Unless it's American or a known entity, they won't buy. The Vulcan is Italian, therefore it won't sell in the US. Another one is the Tecnam P2006T. A very economical little twin, perfect for training. Virtually no sales in the US. In Europe it's a staple and a great success.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2015, 14:12 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1961
Aircraft: BE-TBD

Because the US aircraft buyer is about as conservative as the Spanish inquisition. Unless it's American or a known entity, they won't buy. The Vulcan is Italian, therefore it won't sell in the US. Another one is the Tecnam P2006T. A very economical little twin, perfect for training. Virtually no sales in the US. In Europe it's a staple and a great success.

Number one, this is nonsense. (Where are the majority of socata, pilatus, piaggio and embrarer sales coming from...I wonder what their salesmen would think of your theory).

Number two, what name do you give for European preference to buying European? I'm guessing it's a less disparaging one.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2015, 14:24 

Post Likes: +17162
Aircraft: Baron, 180,195,J-3
Tyler,

I seriously don't believe that Adam was being as aggressive as you perceived. When I picture him saying that "we" are conservative with a smile, I find humor.

I just don't think insult was intended. You have to remember that those Europeans have an inferiority complex that sometimes makes them appear aggressive toward us. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'M KIDDING ADAM AND SMILING. :bud:

Jgreen

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2015, 20:17 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +5540
Aircraft: Turbo Commander 680V
Oh, it wasn't meant that way. It was tongue-firmly-in-cheek cynicism on my behalf. :)

I would agree that Embraer have done very well here despite having similar US competition. The others lack a US counterpart, which I would argue is the main reason they've sold so well.

PostPosted: 28 Jun 2015, 09:58 

Post Likes: +497
Aircraft: D55, C172M, B737
Just stumbled on to this thread. We have a D55 that has been the ultimate economical family hauler that can carry everything you can stuff in it. In 40+ years we haven't found anything better for our mission and it sounds very similar to yours. 1,900-lb useful means you can fill the seats and the tanks and go 4 hours (or more if LOP.) C/D/E55 have bigger nose baggage bin that can swallow Igloo ice chest and suitcases simultaneously. Aft baggage takes 3 or 4 more, but watch the CG.

As for short-field performance, I doubt there is any better twin out there except for (maybe) an Aztec but it's 20 knots slower. Book performance in original POH is 596-ft ground roll and 968 ft over a 50-foot obstacle at MGTOW of 5,300 lbs. Doesn't get much better than that! Beech abolished obstacle takeoff data in the 1980s but the airplane can match those numbers, you'll just be hauling it off below Vmc. It's one of the very few GA airplanes that can get out of any runway it can land on.

Here's a video of a normal takeoff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJRtpQS2Gt4
0-100 mph in 13 secs. 2,000 fpm+ climb, reaches pattern altitude just off the end of the 4,200-foot runway.

Keep in mind that the best short-field Barons are those with the extended-chord flaps, which faded out of use sometime around the 1972-1973 model years. But they do make a huge difference in required runway.

We also added VGs and later did the IO-550 conversion. The combination has created an even better short-field performer and gives the option of a 200 KTAS cruise if you want to run the fuel through it.

You won't have the cabin volume of a 414 but then again you won't have the fuel burn, expense, and what I think is marginal performance. I have more than 100 hours in 414A and can assure you that I have FAR more confidence in the SE performance of the Baron than the 414. Same with Navajo series.

Hope this helps and feel free to bounce any questions you want off of me.

--Pete

Reply to topic  [ 77 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next