banner
banner

24 Apr 2024, 09:45 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7667 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 424, 425, 426, 427, 428, 429, 430 ... 512  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Cirrus SF50
PostPosted: 11 Dec 2018, 17:18 

Post Likes: +181
Aircraft: Mooney Acclaim
Username Protected wrote:
Units? Yes. Revenue?
Cirrus: 41 units @ $1.5mm = $61 MM
Cessna M2: 22 units @ $4.2mm = $92.4 mm

Margin? Unknowable, but reasonable to believe that Cessna has more margin in its mature product than does Cirrus with its early adopter pricing.

I’d say Cessna wins this one. At least for the period you quote.

That's not the point of my post. The point is “trend”. MC has repeatedly claimed that Cirrus should have built a 2 engine jet. I respond with “why, there are lots of 2 engine mini jets on the market and they don’t sell well”. Turns out the SF50 is out selling all of them and growing. Let’s see how it looks with a full year of numbers. You’re criticizing the last 9 months of numbers. That’s not total deliveries. Deliveries began in 2017

But to entertain your changing the subject.......

Why are you assuming $1.5MM per unit? And yes, an SF50 costs a lot less to manufacture than an M2. I prefer profit to revenue.

Cirrus delivered 22 SF50's in 2017
https://gama.aero/wp-content/uploads/20 ... 082018.pdf

So 22+41=63 total deliveries of SF50.

actually, you said "SF50 is far more successful than the other mini jets in 2018 and has been around the least amount of time."

I said: units, yes. revenue, no. We can both be correct, you know.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2018, 17:55 

Post Likes: +13066
Aircraft: PC12NG
[

I said: units, yes. revenue, no. We can both be correct, you know.

What's the revenue for SF50's Cirrus sold?

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2018, 22:44 

Post Likes: +6186
Aircraft: 1979 Bonanza A36

I caught the elevosrate, but had to google covefefe. :D

I had to google both. Plus Luc's snooty coffee maker. I feel smarter, but more like a hick than ever....

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2018, 00:35 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23622
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
You are drawing negative conclusions from a sample size of 5.

That's called an opinion.

Don't be lazy, find counter examples instead of finding comfort in not knowing.

I think you will find this year is not exceptional in the lack of private jet accidents where a chute would have helped.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2018, 00:53 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +9098
Aircraft: 1962 Twin Bonanza
The chute is a sales tool to help a guy make his trophy wife feel good about the small airplane thing... When the old rich guy has a heart attack, his wife is trained to pull the throttle to idle, press the blue level button, and when the speed shows real slow just pull the red handle. She and the kids walk away and two weeks later she's dating her personal trainer.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2018, 01:07 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +23622
Company: Ciholas, Inc
Aircraft: C560V
The chute is a sales tool to help a guy make his trophy wife feel good about the small airplane thing... When the old rich guy has a heart attack, his wife is trained to pull the throttle to idle, press the blue level button, and when the speed shows real slow just pull the red handle. She and the kids walk away and two weeks later she's dating her personal trainer.

So far, zero such cases in the entire history of Cirrus. 7 million flights hours and counting.

Not clear what the personal trainers feel about this, however.

The SF50 chute is like a tiny 2.5 lbs fire extinguisher in a house made of straw bales. It may make you feel more secure about a fire, but when the fire happens, it isn't going to make much difference.

Mike C.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2018, 02:00 

Post Likes: +2400
Aircraft: Citation Mustang

Priceless. BT quote of the year right there.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2018, 06:23 

Post Likes: +23627
Aircraft: Prior C310,BE33,SR22

So far, zero such cases in the entire history of Cirrus. 7 million flights hours and counting.

Not clear what the personal trainers feel about this, however.

The SF50 chute is like a tiny 2.5 lbs fire extinguisher in a house made of straw bales. It may make you feel more secure about a fire, but when the fire happens, it isn't going to make much difference.

Mike C.

With all else being equal, would you rather have (A) a single-engine jet with a parachute OR (B) a single-engine jet without a parachute? Straight-up question: A or B; no deflection or zig-zagging.
- Mars Bonfire

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2018, 08:04 

Post Likes: +5226
Aircraft: 1961 Cessna 172
I’ll bite - without

The chute comes with cost/complexity/upkeep/payload tradeoffs I’d rather not make. the tbm/pc12 safety record is superb and something similar is fine by me.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2018, 08:11 

Post Likes: +2876
Company: CSRA Document Solutions
Did our grandfathers feel the same way about seatbelts in cars....
Did our dads have the same conversations about airbags.....

My generation has brought us crappy gas cans and parachutes in planes....

Peace,
Don

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2018, 08:31 

Post Likes: +13066
Aircraft: PC12NG
It is too bad we don't have visibility into the OEM costs here, but I believe this isn't true.

That is, buying one FJ33 from Williams is about the same price as buying two PW610F from PWC. Williams has to price in added liability as an engine failure in a single is far more liability than in a twin. Further, it would be using an already developed engine on the shelf instead of a custom unique one with low volume expectations.

The near equal cost is particularly true when you consider the additional costs for being an SEJ including extra development time, the chute, and all the V tail control mechanisms (such as the dual yaw dampers).

In the end, total dollars in and out, Cirrus would be ahead if the SF50 was a twin. They would also sell more of them which amortizes the development costs over more units.

Mike C.

Still waiting on an answer to this mind bender.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2018, 10:22 

Post Likes: +2423
Aircraft: BE-55
It is too bad we don't have visibility into the OEM costs here, but I believe this isn't true.

That is, buying one FJ33 from Williams is about the same price as buying two PW610F from PWC. Williams has to price in added liability as an engine failure in a single is far more liability than in a twin. Further, it would be using an already developed engine on the shelf instead of a custom unique one with low volume expectations.

The near equal cost is particularly true when you consider the additional costs for being an SEJ including extra development time, the chute, and all the V tail control mechanisms (such as the dual yaw dampers).

In the end, total dollars in and out, Cirrus would be ahead if the SF50 was a twin. They would also sell more of them which amortizes the development costs over more units.

Mike C.

Still waiting on an answer to this mind bender.

Why bother?

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2018, 11:46 

Post Likes: +8797
Aircraft: A36
With all else being equal, would you rather have (A) a single-engine jet with a parachute OR (B) a single-engine jet without a parachute? Straight-up question: A or B; no deflection or zig-zagging.

Based on the experience with SETPs, I would take a turbofan without a chute. A couple of Caravan pilots have lost their life over the years in SETP crashes after engine failure, most of those were parcel haulers at night. Given the millions of hours those fleets have racked up, the risk seems rather modest.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2018, 12:01 

Post Likes: +2400
Aircraft: Citation Mustang

Definitely without. I don’t like the idea of my wife hooking up with her personal trainer!

Seriously though, an airframe chute on a turbojet doesn’t make sense to me. It’s nothing more than useless weight and added maintenance.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2018, 12:39 

Post Likes: +2854
Company: Looking
Aircraft: None
Unlike others here, I expect to fly till I am unable.
As a result of this mentality, I expect the chance that I have an inflight medical event which prevents me from adequately flying the jet is greater than the turbofan experiencing a failure.

Yeah, yeah, I know this has not happened yet (where pilot pulled due to medical incapacitation). However, the baby bombers are just starting to get to the age where the odds are increasing for some type of incapacitating event; and with BasicMed allowing more of them to stay in the air, the odds are increasing the likely occurrence of these types of events.

The reason I would want the the chute, is less concern about me, more about the people on the ground. Ideally, I would want a fairly bright system with auto-descent and land if pilot fails to land. If unable to land, pull the chute and save the people on the ground.

Tim

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7667 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 424, 425, 426, 427, 428, 429, 430 ... 512  Next