Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Adopted! Flying Malinois
PostPosted: 25 Dec 2023, 22:22 

Post Likes: +167
Company: McCarroll Anesthesiology, PLLC
Aircraft: 1974 58 Baron
Taylor the Malligator was rescued from a high kill shelter earlier this year and immediately wormed her way into our hearts. She loves to fly, loves the snow, is comfortable in a crate, loads up in cars and trucks and loves to drive, is loyal and loving, and is gorgeous on top of it all. We will be flying from Reno to Minneapolis this week and can potentially deliver. Please feel free to contact me if you are interested and have questions.

Cheers,
Morgan
The Dog House Rescue

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

Last edited on 29 Dec 2023, 02:24, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Up For Adoption! Flying Malinois
PostPosted: 25 Dec 2023, 22:37 

I should mention that we are a dog rescue. Our schtick is we pull dogs from shelters, vet, immunize, and neuter/spay them, and teach them basic obedience (sit, down, stay, heel, loose-leash walking, dog neutrality, and place) before advertising. No one leaves if they are a problem and dogs always will have a home with us if circumstances with their adopted families change. These are good dogs looking for forever homes.

Last edited on 26 Dec 2023, 13:49, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 25 Dec 2023, 23:16 

Post Likes: +17
Aircraft: Bonanza V35
Someone is going to get a great flying companion. This great dog will adopt some great human. I would be jumping on this if I hadn’t already adopted a rescue Doberman female pup 2 years ago. They are great additions to your family.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2023, 08:05 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1722
Company: FDX
Aircraft: C-310G
Bless you and your family.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2023, 11:52 

Post Likes: +312
Aircraft: C182
Your efforts are admirable. Thanks Any idea on dog’s age?
Best,
Tom

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2023, 12:12 

Post Likes: +769
Aircraft: Bonanza A35
Good on you, Morgan. I hope Taylor finds a great place.

Having lived with a Mal now for not quite four years I would encourage anyone interested in Taylor to do some research. Not just on the internet, either. Find a trainer who has worked with them. Find a Mal to spend some time with. They are the polar opposites of, say, your average yellow lab.

Juno has been up since 5 AM. By 6 AM she finished a 3 mile run with my wife. She and I had a fetch session with her glow-in-the-dark ball before the sun came up. She just finished totally destroying the new toys she got yesterday. She is now lounging in an chair in front of the fire, but has an intense stare directed at me. Should I make a move to get out of my chair, she would be all over me. Its 9:00 now.

Love her dearly, but I've never had a higher maintenance dog. There are times she makes me miss my labs.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2023, 12:58 

Username Protected wrote:
Your efforts are admirable. Thanks Any idea on dog’s age?
Best,
Tom

Thank you, Tom. We believe she is between one and two, but have no way of knowing for sure. Taylor’s teeth were sparkling clean when we rescued her, but she appears to be fully grown.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2023, 13:09 

Having lived with a Mal now for not quite four years I would encourage anyone interested in Taylor to do some research. Not just on the internet, either. Find a trainer who has worked with them. Find a Mal to spend some time with. They are the polar opposites of, say, your average yellow lab.

Juno has been up since 5 AM. By 6 AM she finished a 3 mile run with my wife. She and I had a fetch session with her glow-in-the-dark ball before the sun came up. She just finished totally destroying the new toys she got yesterday. She is now lounging in an chair in front of the fire, but has an intense stare directed at me. Should I make a move to get out of my chair, she would be all over me. Its 9:00 now.

Love her dearly, but I've never had a higher maintenance dog. There are times she makes me miss my labs.

This is so true about Mals in general. They live their lives at 11, which makes them perfect for special forces work.

Taylor is what I would call “Mal Lite.” She is no golden retriever, but is more of an 8 on the energy/intensity scale. If you compare her face to the AKC breed standard, her mask doesn’t extend to her eyes. I personally think this makes her more beautiful.

These two traits lead me to believe that she has a bit of something else mixed in. Of course, those who know Mals know that they are a relatively new breed, and she may be a purebred variant. She meets all other criteria. Best rescue/shelter practices suggest not labeling dogs with breeds (mea culpa) or genetic testing animals prior to placement. Since Taylor is not being sold for breeding, I agree with this.

Now, if you want to walk down the street with a badass beauty and not have to struggle with one who has only sleep and GO, then this might be your girl.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2023, 13:27 

Post Likes: +10567
Aircraft: 182

An honest take.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2023, 13:29 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +282
Aircraft: S108, A36, BE36TC
We have two rescues and absolutely love them. And they do love to fly. Here is my Madison found on the streets of SoCal, put into a kill shelter and rescued 1 day before she was to be euthanized. These pups are forever grateful and know they hit dog lotto !

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2023, 15:06 

Post Likes: +6893
Company: Self Employed
Aircraft: V35B
She looks a lot like a German Shepard.
Is the Malinois breed related to the German Shepard?

Be Kind, Rewind...

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2023, 15:23 

Post Likes: +769
Aircraft: Bonanza A35
She looks a lot like a German Shepard.
Is the Malinois breed related to the German Shepard?

Mals are often mistaken for GSDs by folks who are not familiar with them. Their behavior is similar, both being working/herding dogs, except that Mals tend to be (in my limited experience with GSDs) more driven. Mals snap their jaws when they want attention (hence the Malingator nickname). When they do relax, they often end up snoozing spread eagle on their backs for some reason.

Physically, mals tend to be a bit smaller and leaner than GSDs. Juno is on the smaller size for a female at about 55 pounds. I would argue that they also tend to be more athletic than GSDs. Youtube is rife with mals scaling tall walls and doing other physically crazy things (we don't let Juno watch those videos). For a dog their size, they don't object to being picked up and carried (good for Marines jumping out of helicopters).

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2023, 15:26 

There’s a chance she has some GSD in her blood. The two are similar, although GSDs tend to have longer coats and their stance is lower in the hindquarters. GSDs also tend to be larger and stockier.

Last edited on 26 Dec 2023, 15:28, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 26 Dec 2023, 15:28 

Frank beat me to it. I agree with not letting Taylor watch YouTube!

Post subject: Re: Adopted! Flying Malinois
PostPosted: 29 Dec 2023, 02:26 

Taylor went to her forever home today! It was with mixed feelings that I handed her leash over, but she clearly loves her new family. As a bonus, my fiancée and I stopped in Evanston, WY for fuel on the way to Minneapolis and got to play with another Mal who happened to be on the field! So cool…

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next