19 Apr 2024, 11:52 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Aviation Fabricators (Top Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: FS: Precise Flight PulseLite Model 1210
PostPosted: 05 Dec 2022, 12:55 

Post Likes: +420
Aircraft: Musketeer A23A
I too read the install manual to become familiar with the unit and was intrigued by the note, paraphrasing here, to turn off flashing landing light at 200AGL.

Just wondering what people's experiences are with regards to this especially on a cold dark snowy night shooting an approach to mins. Seems like it would be a distraction at such a critical time.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2022, 13:20 

Post Likes: +222
Aircraft: 1977 B55 Baron
Username Protected wrote:
I too read the install manual to become familiar with the unit and was intrigued by the note, paraphrasing here, to turn off flashing landing light at 200AGL.

Just wondering what people's experiences are with regards to this especially on a cold dark snowy night shooting an approach to mins. Seems like it would be a distraction at such a critical time.

It just means don't have them flashing for the landing. The light pulse system can be shut off at any time.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2022, 15:28 

Post Likes: +162
Company: 1 of the 3 major USA airlines
Location: 3J6 by SSI & JAX age 57 A&P at 18 IA at 21. 5000 sq ft hangar,19k hr 7 eng shut down
Aircraft: T6 L17J3 B56 Skybolt

Bump

A known SOP, is on shooting a low approach to mins (usually visual mins to begin approach in USA, then looking for approach lights to pass and descend below the ‘decision gate’ of MDA or DA unless “ceiling required” is written on the plate) is to turn off the landing/taxi lights so you can see the approach lights or runway environment lights, day or night, on a low approach.

Once you semi own the runway receiving a approach clearance in real IFR util landing clearance received, turn landing lights off so you can see the approach lights or runway lights. So, receiving your (low) approach clearance; then approach selected, and verify CDI on the LOC or GPS as appropriate, then verify landing lights off on depending on visual or low IMC, then gear down to go down when beginning descent, possibly full flaps when runway environment seen, (on a GA plane on a long runway which would be a good place to be in low IMC as you have long approach lights usually, I may want to land in IMC at approach flaps, so no further pitch and power changes required close in, and ready to go around, compared to big planes where full flaps is put in way up high on approach) landing lights back on when looking for the lead off markings. Don’t put the gear back up.

Last edited on 06 Dec 2022, 00:09, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2022, 16:05 

Post Likes: +10717
Aircraft: 1970 Baron B55
A known SOP, is on shooting a low approach to mins (usually visual mins to begin approach in USA, then looking for approach lights to pass and descend below the ‘decision gate’ of MDA or DA unless “ceiling required” is written on the plate) is to turn off the landing/taxi lights so you can see the approach lights or runway environment lights, day or night, on a low approach.

Once you semi own the runway till landing clearance, turn landing lights off so you can see the approach lights or runway lights. So, on your low approach clearance; then approach selected and CDI on the LOC or GPS as appropriate, landing lights off, then gear down to go down beginning descent, possibly full flaps when runway environment seen, landing lights back on when looking for the lead off markings. Don’t put the gear back up.

I've never tried that but in mist/snow/fog I can see how it might be easier to see the approach and runway lights with your landing lights off. OTOH, a long time ago I forgot to turn on my landing light on approach. I realized my mistake when I got close to the runway and turned them on about the time I crossed the threshold. That was one of the worst landings of my life.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2022, 16:56 

Location: 3J6 by SSI & JAX age 57 A&P at 18 IA at 21. 5000 sq ft hangar,19k hr 7 eng shut down
I've never tried that but in mist/snow/fog I can see how it might be easier to see the approach and runway lights with your landing lights off. OTOH, a long time ago I forgot to turn on my landing light on approach. I realized my mistake when I got close to the runway and turned them on about the time I crossed the threshold. That was one of the worst landings of my life.

Bump

It’s hard for me to remember too unless I do it in a humanly programmed if this then that remembered flow pattern because there’s so much going on. As in when cleared and selecting approach, verify it took (in FMA) and the CDI is verified as Loc or GPS approach, and then is it a visual approach or a low vis approach, then lights on or off. Because depending on the plane I usually turn on a light switch when cleared, another light when landing clearance received. Then it’s just landing on a runway in the clouds. But I end up doing a lot of low viz approaches.

Being human trying to keep up the pavlov dog thing.

And anything I say like this in here in BeechTalk, I would hope that the people that see me write stuff like that, would understand that, I’m just writing it in a way that I wish somebody had said it to me in the past, and that person like me, is reading it in the future, instead of having to learn it on their own like me.

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2022, 23:46 

Post Likes: +739
Aircraft: Mooney 252/Encore
What would be the best pulse setup with recog lights and nose mounted landing/taxi light?

Both recog lights together, alternating with landing/taxi?

Just recog lights alternating?

Some pattern of all 3?

If the nose light is a landing (narrow beam) and as bright as the wing lights I'd consider alternating the wing lights vs nose light. But flashing a taxi light on the nose isn't going to be much help. It is likely that alternating the left and right wing lights will be the most noticeable option and depending on your wing lights the Pulselite may not be able to drive both on at the same time due to current limits.

All will be LED.

I was wondering about the recog wing lights (in the tips) and the strobes at the same time.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2022, 13:21 

If the nose light is a landing (narrow beam) and as bright as the wing lights I'd consider alternating the wing lights vs nose light. But flashing a taxi light on the nose isn't going to be much help. It is likely that alternating the left and right wing lights will be the most noticeable option and depending on your wing lights the Pulselite may not be able to drive both on at the same time due to current limits.

All will be LED.

I was wondering about the recog wing lights (in the tips) and the strobes at the same time.

AFaIK, PulseLite has only two channels. Can you describe all the lights and their locations on your airplane that you're considering for flashing?

In general the greater distance between lights the more visible they will be when flashing alternately. OTOH if there are four or five lights of nearly equal brightness, sequencing them left to right and right to left would be the most obvious but I don't know of any off the shelf solution for that. Also synchronizing any other lamps to your strobes may be difficult.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2022, 14:35 

Post Likes: +77
Aircraft: Mooney MSE
If this lively discussion has convinced you to take the PulseLite plunge, it’s still available!

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2022, 18:15 

All will be LED.

AFaIK, PulseLite has only two channels. Can you describe all the lights and their locations on your airplane that you're considering for flashing?

In general the greater distance between lights the more visible they will be when flashing alternately. OTOH if there are four or five lights of nearly equal brightness, sequencing them left to right and right to left would be the most obvious but I don't know of any off the shelf solution for that. Also synchronizing any other lamps to your strobes may be difficult.

Strobes in the wingtips and tail. Currently conventional, eventually LED.

Wingtip recognition lights, forward facing in the tips. LED as soon as Whelen ships.

Two PAR36 lamps in the cowl. One landing, one taxi, Whelen G3 Parmetheus.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2022, 19:49 

Strobes in the wingtips and tail. Currently conventional, eventually LED.

Wingtip recognition lights, forward facing in the tips. LED as soon as Whelen ships.

Two PAR36 lamps in the cowl. One landing, one taxi, Whelen G3 Parmetheus.

As long as the recognition lights are about as visible at a distance as the landing light, I'd just alternate left/right recognition lights and leave the landing and taxi lamps out of the sequence (i.e. leave it on for recognition). The other option would be to alternate between both recognition lamps together and the taxi & landing light together. Maybe have someone do each of those and watch from the other side of the airport to learn which stands out better.

If there was a way to separately flash three circuits you would stand out better with this sequence: Left Recog, Landing&Taxi, Right Recog, Landing&Taxi, Left Recog. But I don't know of anything you can legally install today that would do that. Designing and building a one-off would be trivial though.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2022, 01:41 

Two questions...

Bo only, or any certified aircraft?

Can it be used on the wingtip navigation lights?

Thanks!

Wow, sorry I missed this earlier Scott. It’s approved for multiple models, that’s just the Bonanza page. Let me know what aircraft you have in mind and I’ll post the schematic if it’s in the paperwork I have.

I don’t know if it can be used on nav lights or not. I suppose it’s between you and your favorite IA.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2022, 01:56 

Here are a few more photos for Cessna pilots.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2022, 09:14 

I would buy this, but still reeling from purchase, expensive pre-buy, some tweaking, a GPS upgrade, and finishing the first annual.

If it is still for sale in 6 months, I will buy it. :)

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2022, 13:32 

Just to add this is a 1210/2405-2. Not a 1220/2410

I believe the 1210/2405 units are for 1 pulsing channel of 250 watts or two alternating pulses of power for two channels of 125 watts.

So if used on two regular old style landing lights (non LED) which some are old landing lights are 250 watts, then I would use it with the two separate 125 watt channels on LED landing lights which are at the most 50 watts each, and probably some much less.

I did draw a diagram a few days ago on a napkin for the fella who wanted to add LED recogs in the arrangement. You could theoretically have two SPST switches, one switch standardly running the 2 Recog lights, and one switch running the 2 Landing Lights. Another switch turning on the Pulse Light system, which is overrode with non pulsing current to its respective lights from the regular SPST recog or Landing light switches, when either the singular SPST recog, or the singular SPST ldg lights switch is turned on to that particular system.

——> But you would need 8 diodes, instead of only 2 for landing lights alone. This would pulse the left landing light and recog, then the right landing light and recog. Then either or both the recogs or landing lights would go steady when that system regular switch turned on.

I have the same 1210/2405-2 in a sealed plastic bag. Just never installed it.

But on two channels of landing lights this system would need LED landing lights.
The 1220/2410 could do regular 250 watts per channel instead of 125 watts per channel.
But with the advent of LED it would theoretically work just fine. And besides who would be doing this unless they already had installed LED landing lights.

Last edited on 07 Dec 2022, 14:13, edited 4 times in total.

PostPosted: 07 Dec 2022, 13:37 

Post Likes: +6493
Company: Gallagher Aviation LLC
Aircraft: 1960 Bonanza M35
I pulse my big G3 PAR-46 LED landing lights in the mid wings and the LED recognition lights in my wingtips with this box with no problem. I really like it. Someone needs to buy this because they cost over $1K now new.

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next