28 Mar 2024, 17:50 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: SOLD: NGT9000 with all antennas
PostPosted: 22 Nov 2022, 20:00 

Post Likes: +1
Aircraft: Mooney M20R; KA 350i
Brand-new NGT9000 unit never installed, and never opened except to take pictures. Antennas are also brand-new, never installed. Unit contains the below elements...

**REMOVED** Active Traffic unlock code (about $1550) - PRICE ADJUSTED TO REFLECT THIS.
* Sensor Systems NY156 TCAS antenna (about $2500)
* The "expensive" Sensor Systems WAAS antenna (about $750)
* A new CI-105 transponder antenna (not pictured here (about $130)
* Mounting tray
* All connectors

Asking $8,950 for the entire kit or best offer.

I'm taking my new-to-me Ovation's project in a different direction, so am selling this unit. Message me with any questions and I'll reply as quickly as possible.

Regards,
Steve

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

Last edited on 30 Jan 2023, 15:46, edited 5 times in total.

Post subject: Re: FS: NGT9000+ with all antennas
PostPosted: 22 Nov 2022, 20:35 

Post Likes: +3060
Company: Boxwell Avionics
Aircraft: T210H
Just a heads up the enablements are tail number specific so if they've already been activated you probably cannot transfer them to a new tail number. Since it hasn't been installed maybe you can get an exception but just be aware.

Last edited on 22 Nov 2022, 21:19, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 22 Nov 2022, 21:00 

Thanks Derek. Although the airplane is new to me, the "different direction" we're taking is to likely sell the aircraft given a change in my career path, so we're putting several projects on-hold until we determine whether it will be put up for sale.

I've reached out to Carmen at L-3 for clarification on your comment. Appreciate that you raised it.

Steve

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2022, 10:06 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +7302
Aircraft: 1978 Bonanza A36
I, too, sold my NGT-9000+ earlier this year, and I confirmed with L3 that my TAS enablement certificate was not valid for the new owner. That was an unpleasant surprise, but it's their policy.

Otherwise, the Lynx is a great unit, and the integration of active traffic and ADS-B traffic always worked very well.

- Martin

PostPosted: 23 Nov 2022, 15:20 

Thanks to Martin and Derrick for your input, as I was not aware of this issue when I made the listing so I appreciate you bringing it to my attention. The last thing I want is an upset buyer resulting from something I didn't disclose - whether I knew about it or not. It's my responsibility to know.

My shop is working with L-3 to determine whether the TAS enablement certificate has been implemented (we're pretty sure it has NOT been used), so when I have confirmation, I'll post that here and continue with the sale.

Again, thanks all.
Steve

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2022, 15:58 

Post Likes: +10534
Aircraft: 1970 Baron B55
Username Protected wrote:
I, too, sold my NGT-9000+ earlier this year, and I confirmed with L3 that my TAS enablement certificate was not valid for the new owner. That was an unpleasant surprise, but it's their policy.

Otherwise, the Lynx is a great unit, and the integration of active traffic and ADS-B traffic always worked very well.

- Martin

JOOC, what prevents the new owner from using the TAS feature in their airplane? I suppose that since the ADS-B out needs the mode-S code for the airplane they could restrict it that way but this seems like a really stupid policy.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.

PostPosted: 24 Nov 2022, 16:06 

JOOC, what prevents the new owner from using the TAS feature in their airplane? I suppose that since the ADS-B out needs the mode-S code for the airplane they could restrict it that way but this seems like a really stupid policy.

ADSB transponders all need the tail number programmed into them.
The enablement's in the NGT (TAS, Diversity and voicecall outs) are tied to the tail number.
So when you reconfig the tail number, it drops the enablements.
Only work around would be to change your tail number to match the tail number programmed in the unit (that is a joke).

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2022, 13:00 

ADSB transponders all need the tail number programmed into them.
The enablement's in the NGT (TAS, Diversity and voicecall outs) are tied to the tail number.
So when you reconfig the tail number, it drops the enablements.
Only work around would be to change your tail number to match the tail number programmed in the unit (that is a joke).

What happens if you want to change the N number on your airplane (e.g. vanity ID)?

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2022, 16:03 

Post Likes: +116
Aircraft: Piper Aztec
What happens if you want to change the N number on your airplane (e.g. vanity ID)?

I'm going to guess you simply contact L3/Harris provide them with the N-number change paperwork and they'll reissue the activation keys.

I also asked them about using the FAA's PIA (Privacy ICAO Address) program and they have no way of supporting that yet either.

I expect more and more avionics vendors doing the same type of N-number restrictions to prevent the sale of used avionics without paying $$ to get activation keys. Welcome to the world where you don't really own stuff you purchased.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2022, 18:51 

I'm going to guess you simply contact L3/Harris provide them with the N-number change paperwork and they'll reissue the activation keys.

I also asked them about using the FAA's PIA (Privacy ICAO Address) program and they have no way of supporting that yet either.

I expect more and more avionics vendors doing the same type of N-number restrictions to prevent the sale of used avionics without paying $$ to get activation keys. Welcome to the world where you don't really own stuff you purchased.

What's really objectionable to me is that the non-transferable nature of products that isn't well known. Without the collective wisdom of BT I wouldn't have known that expensive features of a L3 product cannot be resold. Now that I've learned this, I wouldn't consider that product as long as I have a decent alternative.

I felt the same way when S-Tec adopted policies that severely limited the resale value of their autopilots.

PostPosted: 25 Nov 2022, 18:54 

This is correct.
I have done it before when I was hired to "restrap" a plane after paint/tail number change.
I provided the unit SN, the old tail number, the new tail number, a snap shot of the activated items and they sent me a new config file.

PostPosted: 30 Nov 2022, 14:23 

All,

I finally received word from my shop about this a bit ago. As I figured (and as several folks suspected), L-3's response is that the TAS unlock code in my possession has been applied/used, and cannot be reused with another tail number. It would have to be purchased separately and applied to the next tail number.

To that end, I'm leaving this listing up, and have adjusted the asking price downward by $1550 (the average cost of the TAS unlock feature). All other elements will be included in the sale as I've listed them.

Price is reflected at the top of the listing, so again, please let me know if questions, etc.

Steve

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]