28 Mar 2024, 15:42 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: FS: Postal Delays
PostPosted: 04 Jun 2020, 17:23 

Post Likes: +1539
Aircraft: V35b
UPS is a mess, at least here. I buy 80% of everything except groceries online. I’ve had to find out who is shipping and if it’s ups I cancel the order. what happened is my deliveries started being dropped off at one of the ups stores, instead of delivered. I started looking at my ups app and settings, it had been changed to deliver all stuff to a center, ok only problem is I didn’t make the change and the field is protected and I can’t change it back.
Several companies continue send me stuff via ups and I just don’t pick it up, eventually it gets sent back and I get my refund.

I’m sure it’s a virus issue with their business, that I can understand, but don’t tell me it can’t be changed.

Last edited on 06 Jun 2020, 10:34, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2020, 18:40 

Post Likes: +187
Company: Bullard Aviation Services, Inc
Aircraft: 1978 Bonanza A36
I have been trying to ship a GNS430W to Sweden to another BT member. UPS was the only one that would insure it and only for $2,499. It made it to Sweden in 2 days and they said that the receiver refused to pay customs. Trusted BT member so we called BS on this, but none the less, they turned around and shipped the package back to me “ 1 week”. It is supposed to get back here tomorrow. I pray that it’s not damaged when it gets back here. I plan to take it to DHL and ship it “Un-insured” to him as soon as I have it back in my possession tomorrow, unless someone knows of a better way to ship it to Sweden from Florida. And ohhhh BTW ... it cost $472.97.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2020, 22:31 

Post Likes: +500
Aircraft: Stinson 108, V35A
Ordered some new magnetos from Avial in Texas. Just got a message from UPS of a delay due to civil unrest. My package is stuck at the sort facility in Chicago. It was supposed to be here tomorrow.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2020, 23:03 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1956
Aircraft: BE-TBD
I've bought plenty of stuff within the last 5 to 1 days, and it's been lightning fast so far. Definitely faster than normal. weird. (came from NC, KS, NJ, CO and a couple places I don't know)

I did order something from Oakland this morning, that should be a good test. will report back.

PostPosted: 04 Jun 2020, 23:20 

Post Likes: +881
Aircraft: 182RG
Ironic this thread. My wife spent at least a couple of hours today coresponding with vendors and verifying that several checks she mailed a month ago in the big blue box in front of the post office weren't received nor haven't cleared yet. :pullhair: Some did. Some vendors want the checks reissued, while the State of Mich. doesn't seem to have folks working from home who care. :popcorn: Not yet they don't care, but they will. :ohno:

Rob

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2020, 07:47 

Post Likes: +235
Aircraft: 1964 Bonanza S35
I have been very lucky , as far as outbound shipping , Most of which is the Post Office , Most of my 2 day stuff , is arriving within 4 days , but I have had a few inbound packages take over a week .. That being said , I shipped a Hartzell prop from NJ to Arkansas , and it took 3 days (Fedex Freight) .... So far so good , We got hit hard , and early with the covid , so I think it carries more weight around here ... and has been more or less under control.. The civil unrest , may play havoc for some time , with commerce..

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2020, 08:38 

Post Likes: +2565
Company: On the wagon
Aircraft: 1978 Baron 58
I sent a box to Hong Kong at the start of May. It's still sitting in Chicago.

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2020, 08:49 

Post Likes: +500
Aircraft: Stinson 108, V35A
Just got an update from UPS. Seems it is going to be delivered on time today after all. :rock:

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2020, 10:09 

Post Likes: +661
Aircraft: Cessna 180
I returned some parts to McFarlane on Tuesday via flrst class mail (there is no hurry) and it was to be delivered tomorrow. I just got notification it was out for delivery today so I guess it is hit or miss as to their reliability :shrug:

PostPosted: 05 Jun 2020, 12:11 

Post Likes: +4509
Company: Inscrutable Fasteners, LLC
Aircraft: Planeless
I've had non-armageddeon related issues with the USPS in the past, and it's not always their fault.

I moved out to what was "the sticks" south of Minneapolis back in 2000. When I moved, I started noticing my mail was taking a LONG time. After a bit, I was taking 3 weeks for a simple first class letter to make it to me, so I went "downtown" to meet with the Postmaster.

I say "downtown" because the little town I had moved to had been utterly subsumed by the suburban explosion from MSP in a matter of months. The quaint little main street had the local Post Office as a storefront, and the Postmaster was contrite and to the point: "We've added 10,000 new addresses in the last 6 weeks alone. We were a sleepy community, and we just can't handle the surge in new residences." He offered up a free year of a post office box, but couldn't guarantee it would be any quicker.

Sometimes it is what it is.

Best,
Rich

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2020, 00:13 

Post Likes: +641
DHL, Norway to Georgia last month, three days. Four days ? I imagine it was normal-ish shipping. Fuel system for my little airplane and I didn’t pay anything extra. I was impressed !

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2020, 21:40 

Post Likes: +6418
Company: Gallagher Aviation LLC
Aircraft: 1960 Bonanza M35
Okay fellas, this one TOPS it all.

I shipped a light to a customer from Cincinnati to Florida but somehow it has made it's way to Guam. It's on a plane on the way back east. Customer and I were laughing good at that one.

I appreciate their patience.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2020, 07:59 

Post Likes: +5264
Aircraft: PA32RT-300T
Shipped a BT sale from SE Georgia to Texas on the 29th USPS Priority. It at least made it to the Texas state line today.

I’m not understanding why these huge delays are occurring. It’s not Covid based on my observations from Atlanta right now. Currently at KPDK and the area and it is busier than a bee hive in spring.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2020, 08:22 

Post Likes: +6418
Company: Gallagher Aviation LLC
Aircraft: 1960 Bonanza M35
Username Protected wrote:
Shipped a BT sale from SE Georgia to Texas on the 29th USPS Priority. It at least made it to the Texas state line today.

I’m not understanding why these huge delays are occurring. It’s not Covid based on my observations from Atlanta right now. Currently at KPDK and the area and it is busier than a bee hive in spring.

USPS told me they use airline cargo holds for a lot of their Priority Mail shipments and since there are a lot less flights, there have been more delays.

I ship a lot with USPS and delays are still rather rare these days but I am seeing more than usual compared to pre-Covid.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2020, 08:57 

Post Likes: +2503
Aircraft: 1969 Bonanza V35A
Username Protected wrote:

My local USPS in Michigan said many of the USPS delays are due to Covid shutting down a major sort facility in Detroit, and significantly limiting the others that are overwhelmed trying to sort the mail that is being rerouted to them to be sorted and sent out.

From what I understand, the big carriers are running at peak (Christmas) levels on a daily basis with significant additional deliveries being to residential address' which slow down the system even more. There is not enough heavy airplanes in the world (literally) to move the cargo that needs to be moved right now, and even the PX airlines are flying a lot cargo only flights with just belly freight around the world.

While the world appears slow to most, the cargo/parcel industry has been an incredible operation since this mess started.

Reply to topic  [ 71 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next