29 Apr 2024, 20:34 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Garmin International (Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: FS: Hiller UH-12E Helicopter
PostPosted: 04 Apr 2024, 11:35 

Post Likes: +17
Aircraft: Bonanza V35
This is the workhorse of piston helicopters. The O-540 provides a derated 305 HP so no turbo needed for higher altitude flying. Comes with a pair of auxiliary fuel tanks, full set of new Bruce’s covers, cold weather engine pre heat and is equipped with an external load hook, so this ship is ready to make $$$ slinging Christmas trees or drying cherries. I will deliver within the US for actual expenses. PM me with email / cell number for photos and video. $175K

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

Post subject: Re: FS: Hiller UH-12E Helicopter
PostPosted: 04 Apr 2024, 12:06 

Post Likes: +1681
Aircraft: Glasair Sportsman
As a guy who continues to think and dream of adding an (R) to his license so he can finally log time legally, this is one of those helicopters that intrigues me as an owner-flown machine. Hillers and Enstroms appeal to me as solid workhorses.

Wishing you best of luck with the sale.

PostPosted: 04 Apr 2024, 22:05 

Post Likes: +17
Aircraft: Bonanza V35
Username Protected wrote:
As a guy who continues to think and dream of adding an (R) to his license so he can finally log time legally, this is one of those helicopters that intrigues me as an owner-flown machine. Hillers and Enstroms appeal to me as solid workhorses.

Wishing you best of luck with the sale.

Thank you Mark, yes I have owned 18 airplanes and 6 helicopters during my lifetime, the Hiller is one of the more capable and most cost effective aircraft out there.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2024, 12:26 

Post Likes: +1304
Aircraft: C501SP
Warning thread drift!

I am working on my rotor add-on in an R44. I may end up buying a helicopter some day. But I have a question for the BT brain trust on the convention for sitting on the left or the right in a helicopter. The Robinsons all require that the pilot is in the right seat. But the pictures above imply only flying from the left seat (I don't see any pedals on the right). Likewise, I browse Controller from time to time and it seems like Enstroms are generally set up to be flown from the left. In the fixed wing world I feel pretty confident in saying that airplanes are set up to be flown from the left (for non-tandem flight decks obviously).

Is there a lack of convention that I am missing?

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2024, 13:44 

Post Likes: +251
Aircraft: B58
Well raise my rent!

https://www.bccherry.com/helicopter/

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2024, 14:33 

Post Likes: +4348
Aircraft: 1967 Bonanza V35

I have a question for the BT brain trust on the convention for sitting on the left or the right in a helicopter. The Robinsons all require that the pilot is in the right seat. But the pictures above imply only flying from the left seat....

I once heard an ancient helicopter pilot pass this story, which could be half legend and half truth.

The first mass produced helicopter adopted by the US military was the Sikorsky R4. It came not too far after Igor's (single seat) VS300. The R4 had ONE collective pitch lever, located between the seats. When Les Morris started flying it he sat on the left and flew it backhanded by today's standard. When pilots would join him to learn, they'd sit in the right seat. And that's how they all learned to fly.

I wonder if I could hop in an R4 and fly like this (see 1:35 into video):

(I couldn't :oops: )

Sorry for the Thread Drift. Very nice Hiller !!! Good Luck with sale.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2024, 22:38 

Post Likes: +1960
Aircraft: C-182, GA-7

This deserves it's own thread in Babble Talk or Plane Talk, since we lack spinny top talk.

PostPosted: 05 Apr 2024, 22:56 

Post Likes: +152
Warning thread drift!

I am working on my rotor add-on in an R44. I may end up buying a helicopter some day. But I have a question for the BT brain trust on the convention for sitting on the left or the right in a helicopter. The Robinsons all require that the pilot is in the right seat. But the pictures above imply only flying from the left seat (I don't see any pedals on the right). Likewise, I browse Controller from time to time and it seems like Enstroms are generally set up to be flown from the left. In the fixed wing world I feel pretty confident in saying that airplanes are set up to be flown from the left (for non-tandem flight decks obviously).

Is there a lack of convention that I am missing?

Yes, the idea that "all" helicopters are flown from the right is a myth. Most of the turbine Bells, Sikorsky's, Robbies, and most Eurocopters are flown from the right. Enstroms, Hughes, Schwiezers, MD's, Hillers, most Bell 47's, the Eurocopter EC130, and I think the Russian MILs are flown from the left. While PIC seats change, control positions never change. Cyclic is always right hand, collective always on the left.

Full disclosure, my day job is working for Enstrom. The reason we fly from the left is that allows more room for passengers. The collective on the left allows a bench seat with more pax to pile in. I can't speak for the other OEM's but I suspect the reasoning is the same. It does also make external load work much easier as the pilot is leaning over the collective looking down instead of leaning away. In fact it's not uncommon to see 206's with left hand PIC conversions for external load work.

I routinely fly from both seats. It's a non-event. Some complain that tuning radios from the left is harder because you have to switch hands on cyclic to free up your right hand to turn the knobs. Again, in my experience this is a non-event. At the end of the day I'm not going to say to one is better than the other, but I will say it shouldn't be a deciding or eliminating factor when choosing a helicopter.

Now, some helicopters have rotors that turn clockwise instead of counter-clockwise. CCW is of course the CORRECT way that God himself intended.

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]