27 Apr 2024, 09:31 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: FS: 1938 E17B Staggerwing Project $89,000 Firm
PostPosted: 25 Mar 2024, 04:11 

Post Likes: +499
Aircraft: Beech D17S, 58P, RC3
1938 Beechcraft E17B Staggerwing Project for sale $89,000 Firm (you pick up).

FAA Registration: N284Y (current registration same as delivered from factory when new)

Serial # 206

Factory Dataplate is intact and included.
FAA Airworthiness Certificate is included.
Airframe and engine logs go back to the early 1950's.
About 1700 hours since factory new.
All FAA records included.

Built as an E17B (Jacobs L-5 radial engine, 285hp)
Converted to E17L in the 1950's (Jacobs L-4, 225hp)

Includes (4) core Jacobs R755 radial engines (1 on fuselage, 3 on pallets)

This airframe can be either an E17B 285hp, E17L 225hp, or F17D 330hp. Only difference per FAA type certificate is the engine installation. Many E17's have been converted to F17D designation. I will provide paperwork for the FAA conversion sample data.

Note: Caleb at Radial Engines Inc has agreed to build up a fresh overhauled Jacobs R915 330HP engine for the F17D conversion and take in all 4 R755 engines for core trade in credit.

Propeller and spinner on fuselage is a Hamilton Standard 2B20. Needs overhaul.

Wings still covered in cotton from the 1950's. Wood in wings looks good. Needs gluing and varnishing most likely.

Fuselage uncovered. Fuselage wood looks good. Areas needing total restoration are: wIng walks, lower wood wing fairings, horizontal stabilizer.

Both windshields are crack and scratch free.(incredible actually) These are UNOBTAINIUM.

Aircraft is complete as far as I can tell except for: flying wires, (1) I-strut end cap, (1) roll down window.

Aircraft is on gear ready to roll away. Interior and instrument panel need restoration to liking. Instrument panel is installed with most instruments still. Aircraft has dual control wheel setup.

It has some surface rust on fuselage tubing. I would disassemble and media blast if I was going to restore it. No damaged tubing that I can see. All flaps and ailerons still on wings and covered protecting interior. All tail parts included. All sheet metal parts included.

This aircraft was last flown in 1962, taken apart, and the fuselage uncovered. That's it. Reason the wing walks and fairing behind them need total restoration is most likely from engine oil spray. Very common in Staggerwings.

Aircraft is currently green fuselage and yellow wings and tail. I built up wing stands on wheels to move and store the (4) wings. You can have these if you want.

Except for the 3 extra engines, there are no extra parts, as this plane was flown in, dismantled, and then stored. It's the usual story, last owner bought it always wanting a Staggerwing. Flew it one flight home. Took it apart for restoration. Never got around to it.
Got sick, passed away. Family hung onto it for decades, then put it up for sale. I bought it to save it from a few buyers wanting to turn the wings into conference tables.

I already have a Staggerwing myself, really don't need a 2nd one. I'm in my 60's anyway, and I am realistic about the amount of time and money to restore one of these. Already done it once.

So I am sincere and knowledgeable when I tell you with the exceptions above this aircraft is complete.

Aircraft is located at KFCM, 12 miles from MSP airport in Minnesota.
Aircraft now stored in a heated and air conditioned hangar instead of a barn.
Because of the extra engines, I hired 2 truck loads to get it home.

Come see the magic of this classic timepiece. See if you can walk away. I couldn't.

Cheers

Kurt Bromschwig

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

Post subject: Re: FS: 1938 E17B Staggerwing Project $89,000 Firm
PostPosted: 26 Mar 2024, 01:57 

Post Likes: +577
I actually love the earlier Staggerwings. .My favorite is the B17L. Almost purchased F17D N19466 before it went away to SA. Took my son for his first plane ride in it. He always wanted a ride in the "Candy Cane Bi-Plane". Had a pedal plane to match. Owner was going through a bad divorce and had to get a certain figure. I had three multi-engine planes already and couldn't meet his price. We were only $25K apart in the end, but I just couldn't do it at that time. Kicking myself to this day. It had been converted to the (derated to 275hp?? as I recall, from 330hp) Cessna 195 engine, that was eventually supposed to be eligible for the true fuel injection mod @ Radial Engines, Ltd. Existing carbureted engine made ice better than our awesome KitchenAid freezer. It needed that mod desperately... and I was ready to try it, after half scaring my wife to death in it over the Puget Sound one day. Could hardly keep it running from the rapid carb ice build ups.

Kurt, I'll be 66 this year, or I'd be interested in resurrecting this thing. The main reason I'm writing on here is not to tell about one of my deep dives into Staggerwing ownership, but to tell you how GREAT your passion and advertisement is. Here's someone who knows what he's talking about, and is actually really concerned for the future of this prize. You said everything someone needs to hear (if they listen) about what is really involved in this thing. A lot of people really don't know what they're getting into when they purchase one of these. Evidently, the prior purchaser fell into that camp.

Check This Out:

https://www.facebook.com/reel/2321793654680785

About the only thing I'd add (and please correct me if I'm mistaken on this ~ I've been told this by several people who have restored Stags) is that many people don't realize that the only model of Staggerwing that has any kind of manuals for maintenance or rebuilding are some of the UC-43's, which in civil equivalent is the D17S. Anything earlier, and even the latter G17S, do NOT have manuals to follow for rebuild or maintenance... other than those notes provided by generous restorers who have done it and documented such along their journeys. You are on your own to figure things out in the restoration process. Each airframe was 'hand-built' and no two are exactly alike. What fits on one, will not necessarily fit on another, and so forth. There's a lot of problem solving and hand forming to learn. It has to be a passion through time.

Anyway, your ad is a good, honest, inspiring, and convincing plea, and truly one of the best I've seen in my five and a half decades in aviation. Best wishes on your finding this one a good home. I feel you'll be successful in your quest after reading your ad. :thumbup: BTW... that's a good lookin' SeaBee in one of those shots too! ~ ME

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2024, 20:56 

Post Likes: +499
Aircraft: Beech D17S, 58P, RC3
Thanks Mark. I am passionate about 17’s. Look closely and you’ll see the rudder and flying/landing wires of my D17S behind the Seabee in the hangar.

Caleb at Radial Engines WILL fuel inject the R915 330hp if the owner wants it. We just added it to my son’s 195. Runs great.

The military manuals are available for only the D17S yes. But the original drawings are available through two sources for every model. Nice thing about this plane is engine and wood is still on. Document it carefully when you take it apart and it will be easy.

To be honest, I love just looking at the wood and skeleton in my hangar.

I think it’s artwork!

Last edited on 28 Mar 2024, 07:19, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2024, 22:23 

Post Likes: +577
Hey Kurt,

I now DO see the flying wires of your Stag in that pic. Thanks for pointing that out. You have an amazing airplane... well, now you have two of them! Yes, when I chatted with Radial Engines about the C195 to F17D installation, that was years ago (probably a dozen). It was just as the 195 mod was being approved. Now they can probably do many of those engine types. I even inquired some time after that about doing a T-50 Bobcat, and they said it was surely possible.

Yes, you have a nice, mostly complete project there. I'm sure you do enjoy looking at it, as it's definitely a work of art... inside and out. Enjoy it while she resides there, as someone will be glad to have it, and hopefully it'll see the skies up close again someday. :thumbup: ~ ME

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2024, 22:50 

Post Likes: +5155
Company: Rusnak Auto Group
Aircraft: Baron B55 N7123N
My dad owned only 2 airplanes during his civilian flying days. A D17S and a B55 which he bought new from Beechcraft West in 1974. When dad’s health was failing and his time with us was coming to a close, he said he enjoyed both airplanes but all his best memories were when he was flying the Staggerwing. One of his most proud moments was after landing at Santa Paula where he was based, Fish Salmon came up to him and said, “Doc, you handle that Staggerwing real well.”

That Staggerwing needs an owner who will bring it back to its former glory. Hope that person comes forth.

Sven

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]