Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: FS: Time capsule V-tail
PostPosted: 18 Nov 2021, 11:29 

Post Likes: +456
Aircraft: 1980 TR182
Username Protected wrote:
It's every airport, every ramp, every hangar. Ramp mummies everywhere that will never fly again.

Yep, and it’s one thing to have a hanger that may have utility for other purposes, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out why the owner of the derelict Cherokee 140 across from me continues to pay the $90 a month for the shadeport spot.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2021, 12:00 

Post Likes: +4406
Aircraft: 1967 Baron B55
I see old planes in my hangars that are JUNK. The husband has convinced his wife for years the plane is VERY valuable and it’s worth storing.

The husband dies and the wife tries to sell with unrealistic expectations. She thinks everyone is trying to cheat her and won’t sell it for what it is worth.

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2021, 12:18 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +446
Aircraft: '79 BE 58
I came across a guy to whom I'd given some instruction way back in the early nineties. I hadn't seen him since. But he'd bought himself a B36TC back then, only a hundred hours on it. Turns out, not long after I'd worked with him, he had a series of heart issues, including an attack. Took him years to regain his medical. He said, well, I am now gonna sell the plane. He had it hangared at my airport all these years, and he hadn't flown it but a few dozen hours since those early nineties and...it hasn't been out of the hangar in fifteen years. Gorgeous plane. He has a measure of OCD and every single thing he owns has to be perfect. [You scratch a fastener opening a panel on his Bonanza, replace that screw.] Anyhow, point to this missive is that he has now done his research and figures his plane is worth over $450K. Low time, etc. Avionics are state-of-the-art mid-nineties. Wanted to know if I am aware of anyone wanting something like his plane. Told me he figures he is letting it go at a bargain price if he negotiates it down to $430K. I simply told him I had no people to send his way.

He will receive a shock to his expectations, but I kept quiet.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2021, 01:42 

Post Likes: +4522
Aircraft: 1962 Bonanza P35
Good luck to this seller. I wouldn't want the hangar storage bills while he sells this gem.

Its clone is sitting in the hangar next to ours. It hasn't flown in 10 years and is surround by stuff that would have to be excavated before you could remove the plane.

3+ years waitlist for hangars and there sits a Bonanza shaped sculpture in storage and the owner works for AOPA. :grr:

At least there are actually planes in the hangars creating the wait list at your field. :bat:

ABS Lifetime Member
EAA Lifetime Member

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2021, 02:29 

Post Likes: +615
Aircraft: V35, C150
At my field, I’m convinced the “waitlist” is an Excel sheet that gets passed around from desk to desk as the overseer of hangar rents seems to change every few years.

A little over a year ago, I bought a 150 and asked the City to rent a plane-port for it. I was told there are 40 names ahead of me... I had to email back to make sure we are talking about the same thing because 50% of them are empty.

I can understand that a City staffer doesn’t know the GA landscape, like how owners find other options, needs change, etc and the waitlist should be culled from time to time. What I don’t understand is why the employee won’t drive down and verify my statement herself when I tell her they’re half empty and I’m a ready tenant. I seriously doubt those empty spots are from paying customers.

Now hangars are a different story. They’re all taken.

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2021, 08:47 

Post Likes: +9005
Aircraft: V-35
There was a low time V-35B that was for sale for sale on and off for years at my old airport. The owner could no longer get insurance after his second (most said third) gear up. So there it sat with a brand new engine and prop in his T hanger. When the market got hot he bought a new battery, pulled it outside and fired it up after years of sitting. The potential buyer walked once he learned about it. It eventually sold but I have no idea what for. What could be better than a low time Bonanza with a new engine and prop…

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2021, 08:57 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +8869
Company: Schulte Booth, P.C.
Aircraft: 1958 Bonanza 35
At least the answering machine won't get worn out.

Robert D. Schulte
http://www.schultebooth.com

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2021, 10:49 

Post Likes: +576
It's every airport, every ramp, every hangar. Ramp mummies everywhere that will never fly again.

Because people bought airplanes that they could not afford or were unwilling to spend the money needed to maintain them.

True... sometimes, but not always the case. I have a similar situation with one of several airplanes I own. Been going on for over 4 and a 1/2 years now. This one is in another state. The reason it's sitting there has nothing to do with money, my not trying, working, paying, and pleading. Just spent over $30K on it this month alone. Sometimes you're at the mercy of other people who just don't follow through for reasons unbeknownst to you. Held hostage is the reason some of these planes sit... and it's not always about money or lack of attention on the owners part to get it flying. And I'm one of those few people who are painfully aware of what airplanes are really worth. I already have double the amount in this thing fixing it, than what I paid for it... know it's not worth half that in today's market, and I have a long way to go. Typical aviation labor of love scenario. Hey, Beech is never building anymore of these airframes.

Sometimes things are not always as they appear. :shrug: ~ ME

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2