08 Dec 2021, 14:58 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Stevens Aerospace (Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: FS: 1966 C55 Baron
PostPosted: 14 Oct 2021, 23:10 

Post Likes: +1752
Aircraft: B55
Having bought a plane in the past with a "fresh annual", (not my current plane which was fine) I wouldn't consider a nearly due annual to be any concern - the "fresh annual" can be completely meaningless.

Unfortunately I bought a baron late last year, otherwise I'd consider this one. C55s are great airplanes, considerably lighter than the later 55 models.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2021, 08:55 

Post Likes: +12
Good morning,

Given the proximity to annual this year for N17LG (November 30, 2021), I wanted to lay this out officially:

If delivered before the time annual is due, the price of the airplane will be:

DELETED -- see original post.

The following items are planned for replacement at annual:
1) New nose tire and tube
2) Ignition harnesses -- both engines. The mags on the left engine are freshly overhauled Slick 6310's, but the harness for both engines are due. Mag checks are good, just time for preventative maintenance.
3) Sandel bulb ... I already have the certified bulb and it comes with the sale. Should be replaced every annual.
4) Unsteady oil temp gauge. Likely probe or wiring.

Digital logbooks are available (for last 20 years), along with totes of historical logs.

Thanks,
Russ

Last edited on 26 Oct 2021, 12:44, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2021, 22:08 

Post Likes: +13
Aircraft: 182
Is that 530 also WAAS?

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2021, 23:15 

Username Protected wrote:
Is that 530 also WAAS?

No it is not … It’s a straight 530. That’s a 430W, though. This set up does not allow cross fill.

Both units do show lightning strikes, along with the Sandel.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2021, 09:27 

**OBSOLETE POST
I have had many great conversations about and several visits from prospective buyers for this Baron. The feedback for the airplane has been overwhelmingly positive and I love glancing over at the grin when I push the power up on the takeoff role for the test flight (I've got the same grin). However, buyers do seem to wince at the price for 2 reasons:

1) Upcoming annual ... I get it, an annual can come with unwelcome surprises.
2) Engine times. These engines really have less time than most similar airplanes on the market and I'm priced beneath most of them. However, most of those airplanes have been for sale for a while.

Therefore, the following changes are being made for this ad.
1) DELETED.
2) The airplane is going into annual with my local shop. I'm already buying up the parts I plan to replace (they are listed in a previous post, and I've added a few others). If you're interested, you can come over with your A&P and take a look at it while it is apart. I'll provide you the dates that it will be there via PM.

If you're in the market for a good Baron, you'll be pleasantly surprised once you lay your eyes on this one. Thanks for reading.

Last edited on 02 Nov 2021, 22:09, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2021, 11:57 

I was approached yesterday with an idea from a local pilot. Nothing has become of it at this point, but I wanted to include this in the ad as a possibility.

I am very open to a 50% partnership in the airplane. I have a great t-hangar with a view at KAHN. Splitting some of the fixed+variable overhead for the airplane and having someone with whom to share aviation is very valuable to me. My dad and I shared aviation as our main hobby for over a decade until his passing last year (which is why I went the Baron route in the first place). Flying around by myself, looking out the window (80% of my flying) gets old after a while. Having another person that could help me use the airplane to its full potential would make a lot of sense to me.

I own the airplane as an individual at this point, but I would incorporate the airplane and sell half of the stock if there is anyone interested. Please see the initial post in this ad for the partnership offer.

Thanks!

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2021, 13:51 

Post Likes: +13
Aircraft: 182
I was approached yesterday with an idea from a local pilot. Nothing has become of it at this point, but I wanted to include this in the ad as a possibility.

I am very open to a 50% partnership in the airplane. I have a great t-hangar with a view at KAHN. Splitting some of the fixed+variable overhead for the airplane and having someone with whom to share aviation is very valuable to me. My dad and I shared aviation as our main hobby for over a decade until his passing last year (which is why I went the Baron route in the first place). Flying around by myself, looking out the window (80% of my flying) gets old after a while. Having another person that could help me use the airplane to its full potential would make a lot of sense to me.

I own the airplane as an individual at this point, but I would incorporate the airplane and sell half of the stock if there is anyone interested. Please see the initial post in this ad for the partnership offer.

Thanks!

This would be a great option for someone. If I were closer this option would seal the deal for me. Not moving to middle TN anytime soon are you? :D

PostPosted: 27 Oct 2021, 14:55 

Post Likes: +1445
Company: MENA, LLC, (Retired Soldier)
Aircraft: Shopping for a Beech
Or the south side of Atlanta!!!

Martin

PostPosted: 28 Oct 2021, 11:21 

Concerning the partnership possibilities, I'm also willing to hangar the airplane at KWDR or D73. The waitlists are pretty long at those aerodromes, so it would likely stay at KAHN for a while until our name came up (or you have connections or existing space).

The airplane easily fits in a standard 40-foot T-hangar. One of the other mechanics on the field rolled by not too long ago and told me that I had stuffed a rocket in a shoebox.

I love my space in Athens, but it could be a hike for folks closer to Atlanta.

Thanks!

Post subject: FS: 1966 C55 Baron -- Partnership Opportunity
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2021, 22:13 

The airplane is no longer for sale outright. A local partnership is still being pursued, and I'm currently following a couple of leads. Please see the lead post for specifics. The pursuit of outright sale is being ended for the reasons below:

1) I really like the airplane. My wife was asking me why I really wanted to sell it, and I mentioned that I was just trying to be a good financial steward given the airplane is just for play at this point and does not really "earn" its keep like many other piston twins. I've come to the realization that there's really not much else on the market that could do what this airplane does for the money, and I've already got this one maintained the way I want it. The partnership avenue seems to resonate with many pilots ... it's just a smaller pool of them because of locale.

2) The market for legacy piston twins is a lot different than I thought it would be. When I sold our RV-10, all I had to do was wave my hand and people flocked towards it (I sold it to some very nice buyers whom I know take care of it). With the Baron, most people who contact me about it like the quality and mx history of the particular airframe, but don't want me to have any credit for potential life left in the engines and want me to sell it to them at runout engine prices (and hope they last for a long time). Who could blame them, the engines are not known to them and are expensive to overhaul. To me, this says "keep it and run them out, then overhaul them or sell it at run out prices or send it to the salvage heap."

For now, I'll pursue my current leads and put a bug in the ears of the local FBO's, flight schools, and maintenance shops for anyone looking to buy into a nice Baron with a (debatably, ask my wife) sensible owner who is very familiar with and cares for the airplane.

For anyone interested in this avenue, the airplane will be headed into annual in the next 1 to 2 weeks, and you're welcome to visit/inspect/poke around while it's unbuttoned.

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: FS: 1966 C55 Baron -- Partnership Opportunity
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2021, 22:43 

Post Likes: +3657
Company: Rusnak Auto Group
Aircraft: Baron B55 N7123N
The airplane is no longer for sale outright. A local partnership is still being pursued, and I'm currently following a couple of leads. Please see the lead post for specifics. The pursuit of outright sale is being ended for the reasons below:

1) I really like the airplane. My wife was asking me why I really wanted to sell it, and I mentioned that I was just trying to be a good financial steward given the airplane is just for play at this point and does not really "earn" its keep like many other piston twins.

2) The market for legacy piston twins is a lot different than I thought it would be. When I sold our RV-10, all I had to do was wave my hand and people flocked towards it (I sold it to some very nice buyers whom I know take care of it). With the Baron, most people who contact me about it like the quality and mx history of the particular airframe, but don't want me to have any credit for potential life left in the engines and want me to sell it to them at runout engine prices (and hope they last for a long time). Who could blame them, the engines are not known to them and are expensive to overhaul. To me, this says "keep it and run them out, then overhaul them or sell it at run out prices or send it to the salvage heap."

Thanks!

Russ, your post reflects upon you well. A few thoughts from someone who has owned Beech legacy twins since 1990. First - they don’t need to “earn” their keep other than putting a smile on your face when you open the hangar doors whether or not you’re going flying. Of course, the smile gets broader when the throttles go forward and a fun destination is in the flight plan. Second - since the selling prices of legacy planes tend to be inversely proportional to operating costs there are many wanna be’s out there. When you’re being low balled because of upper mid time engines, you know the prospect has limited resources and is therefore not a buyer unless the Baron can be had at deep discount. You obviously enjoy the Baron and have a very supportive wife (she’s a gem for that) so no reason to sell. If you can deal with the potential pitfalls of partnership that’s a possibility but be patient to find the right person. Next to conflict with the wife, conflict with an airplane partner is next in line! Good luck with whatever you finally decide.

Sven

PostPosted: 08 Nov 2021, 15:50 

Post Likes: +159
Aircraft: SR22
So close and yet so far away; I'm in Atlanta.

Really nice looking plane. Hope you find a good partner. That certainly cuts down the costs and keeps the plane flying, which helps it stay running well.

LinkedIn
instagram: waynecease

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2021, 22:56 

Good evening BT'ers:

Baron N17LG is emerging from annual this week. Very few unexpected issues this time around, but we fixed what we saw. See below for a list of items repaired or replaced.

------
--Airframe
-Nose tire/tube (Condor 5x5)
-Left main tire/tube (Michelin Aviator 6.5-8)
-New Rapco discs
-New Rapco linings
-O-rings for calipers
-Rebuilt left master cylinder (pilot side brakes only)
-2 new Gill G-25 batteries
-2 new fuel pumps for heater (the thing has 1 pump for gear up and 1 for gear down -- dumbest thing I've ever seen, but that's how Beech did it on the C model. These may have been original)
-New ELT battery

--Engines
-New full Kelly ignition harnesses for both engines (KA12381)
-A couple of new spark plugs (RHB32E)
-Replaced inboard tail pipe on right engine. It was cracked. We are still awaiting the arrival of this new part from Aircraft Exhaust.
-Compression on all cylinders was great. Lowest one was 69/80.
-Obligatory oil/filter/air filter changes were completed
-Oil samples for both engines were sent to AoA and came back with normal readings

--Panel
-Replaced Sandel bulb (recommended yearly)
-Replaced attitude indicator with recently overhauled unit (decided to crap out on me just before annual, fortunately, I guess....)
-Added Oil Temperature probes to the JPI 760. The original equipment is still there, but I wanted oil temp combined with the other digital temperature info. These were installed per the JPI manual in the front oil galley ports.
-Vacuum filter replaced
------

Just an update for anyone who might have been awaiting exit from annual. The partnership share price is available in the original post. Additionally, I'd be willing to let someone buy it outright if they really wanted it for ($125,000)

Thank you!

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2021, 23:37 

Post Likes: +3657
Company: Rusnak Auto Group
Aircraft: Baron B55 N7123N
Good evening BT'ers:

Baron N17LG is emerging from annual this week. Very few unexpected issues this time around, but we fixed what we saw. See below for a list of items repaired or replaced.

-2 new fuel pumps for heater (the thing has 1 pump for gear up and 1 for gear down -- dumbest thing I've ever seen, but that's how Beech did it on the C model. These may have been original)

Hi Russ, our Barons have 2 heater fuel pumps for good reason. When the gear is down just one pump is in operation. Gear up and the second pump is activated as well to maximize heater output with higher airspeeds as more air is going through the system. As I recall with gear down and just one pump in operation, the Janitrol heater output caps out at 35,000 BTU’s. Gear up with both pumps working, the heater can achieve 50,000 BTU’s.

Sven

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2021, 00:06 

Good evening BT'ers:

Hi Russ, our Barons have 2 heater fuel pumps for good reason. When the gear is down just one pump is in operation. Gear up and the second pump is activated as well to maximize heater output with higher airspeeds as more air is going through the system. As I recall with gear down and just one pump in operation, the Janitrol heater output caps out at 35,000 BTU’s. Gear up with both pumps working, the heater can achieve 50,000 BTU’s.

Sven,

I appreciate the info. I'll verify with my A&P that it's intended to work that way. We may need to put it back up on jacks to verify both pumps are running with the gear up.

Russ

Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next