banner
banner

19 Nov 2017, 15:27 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Garmin International (Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: N5674D: The improvements and repairs.....
PostPosted: 20 Oct 2017, 06:58 

Post Likes: +922
Company: N?A
Aircraft: 1954 Twin Bonanza
And the improvements continue with the addition of Guy's Emergency hatch window seals from Gee Bee.
These seals fit incredibly well and I cannot recommend them enough ! :thumbup:

We started with the removal of the original old rubber seals that are glued in place with brown glue. What a mess............ :sad: A few different layer's of old seal came off pretty easily. Now it was time to remove the clear caulk that someone gopped in place on the hinge side of the hatch window. A sharp plastic scraper and we are off to the races.
Not a quick process to remove all the old glue and then finish that part with MEK and a clean rag. Back to clean metal, we mix the two part clear glue and start applying the new seal using a hair dryer as we go, as suggested by Guy.

These seals fit like a glove ! They not only look so clean, but they are shaped to fit this application just perfectly.
We left the hatch window safety wired in the full open position to sit overnight.

Now we just have to do the other side next week and then I am ordering forward and rear baggage seals from Guy.

Thanks for looking !
Gregg :pilot:

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2017, 11:21 

Post Likes: +997
Aircraft: twin bonanza
Nice work Gregg!

PostPosted: 20 Oct 2017, 13:08 

Post Likes: +405
Aircraft: J-50 Twin Bonanza
I need to get in on that action!

:cheers:

PostPosted: 21 Oct 2017, 14:19 

Another 35 minute flight this morning and I am NOW comfortable enough to "stretch the legs" further at this point :cheers:

NO OIL LEAKS :woot:

She is running like a Swiss watch now. Even gave her a bath upon my return today. Finally a bit more relaxed now flying Sandi :D

Life is GOOD!

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2017, 11:22 

Post Likes: +208
Aircraft: B50 Twin Bonanza
:clap: Thumbs up broth'a - wish I was at that point - still waiting for some stocks to arrive for the gear cases.

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2017, 13:54 

YIM  Profile

Post Likes: +265
Aircraft: H50 Twin Bonanza
Outstanding !

PostPosted: 24 Oct 2017, 14:05 

Post Likes: +349
Aircraft: C 150
A fellow airport rat has a C310 with one of those Lear autopilots. He has spare units and it works like a charm. All the little tubes light up, it holds the plane perfectly straight and level, holds altitude, etc.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2017, 09:04 

We completed the emergency hatch window seals on Monday evening from Guy at Gee Bee. Again, I highly recommend his PRE 1974 Seal Kits for our Twin Bonanza's !! :thumbup:

I am STILL fighting a small oil leak on my left engine. :bang: We cleaned it all off last night and then took it up for a 15 minute flight to locate its source. We have discovered it is eminating from the propeller governor drive pad. We already removed this once, early on and used some PRC to seal it up. Obviously, it did not take.
This is not an uncommon source of oil leak on the GO-480 engines. We have fought this before on a handful of other Twin Bonanza's. The only "real fix" is to remove the governor drive pad and machine the mating surface to a clean / flat surface. Then you lightly file the mating surface on the nose case half of the equation and reinstall using the paper gasket and proper sealant.
That is on the short list to-do, along with my new cabin door wind lace install.

I took my newest A&P up with me last night on that 15 minute flight for the oil leak determination. He is also a Pilot and was AMAZED at the comfort during the ride we took. He told me my airplane was the most comfortable private airplane he has ever ridden in. He was also extremely impressed with how smooth and "tight" the airplane felt on takeoff and in flight. Said he expected to see the windshield rattling and the airplane bumping along the runway on takeoff like a Beech 18 (NO offense meant here BTW). I accepted his compliments on the Twin Bonanza very graciously ! :D

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2017, 09:41 

Post Likes: +405
Aircraft: J-50 Twin Bonanza
Looked great buddy!

:cheers:

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2017, 10:33 

Post Likes: +2079
Company: Meridian Manufacturing
Aircraft: 1967 Bonanza V35
Username Protected wrote:

I took my newest A&P up with me last night on that 15 minute flight for the oil leak determination. He is also a Pilot and was AMAZED at the comfort during the ride we took. He told me my airplane was the most comfortable private airplane he has ever ridden in. He was also extremely impressed with how smooth and "tight" the airplane felt on takeoff and in flight. Said he expected to see the windshield rattling and the airplane bumping along the runway on takeoff like a Beech 18 (NO offense meant here BTW). I accepted his compliments on the Twin Bonanza very graciously ! :D

Note to self: do not, under any circumstance accept a ride in a Twin Bo. :eek:

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2017, 12:22 

Post Likes: +851

Note to self: do not, under any circumstance accept a ride in a Twin Bo. :eek:

Come down to Kansas City in the Spring for the Midwest T-Bone fly in, we'll make sure you don't get any rides at all.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2017, 19:27 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +2209
Aircraft: 1962 Twin Bonanza
We cleaned it all off last night and then took it up for a 15 minute flight to locate its source. We have discovered it is eminating from the propeller governor drive pad. We already removed this once, early on and used some PRC to seal it up. Obviously, it did not take.
This is not an uncommon source of oil leak on the GO-480 engines. We have fought this before on a handful of other Twin Bonanza's. The only "real fix" is to remove the governor drive pad and machine the mating surface to a clean / flat surface. Then you lightly file the mating surface on the nose case half of the equation and reinstall using the paper gasket and proper sealant.

I've got the same issue Gregg, very minor but I'm a stickler about oil leaks. Will be watching for your report. Your plane looking great. :thumbup:

Last edited on 26 Oct 2017, 22:40, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2017, 20:49 

Adam,
Update on the oil leak. I had a couple spare governor mount pads in my inventory. I brought them both to my A&P this evening who has several years experience as a Tool and Die maker prior to his A&P career. He also has built several engines for the flight school based here at KSCH. He is going to take my spares and bead blast them, check them for a true flat mounting surface and machine them if necessary. There are three (I think) pipe plug fittings also on these pads. He will remove them to inspect them and then reinstall them using sealer. At that point, we remove the "leaker" and prep the mounting surface on the actual nose case. There is a metal shim and two paper gaskets that sandwich between the governor mounting pad and the nose case. I had 2 new paper gaskets in stock. A call to Columbia Aircraft Services today informed me they use / suggest Locktite 515 sealant when putting this all back together.
We will also remove the 4 threaded metal studs that stick out of the governor mounting pad also and reseal them before installing it all permanently back on the nose case. I'm taking NO chances that we miss a leak source this time !

Hopefully we have it all done and back together Monday night 10/30. Then a test flight to see if we cured the problem once and for all.................... :cheers:

We installed the new wind lace around my cabin entry door this evening. I ordered Black, but they sent White (close anyway :duck: ). It looks really cool in White I have to say but hopefully I can keep it clean............. :crazy:

More to come on the governor pad issue :popcorn:

PostPosted: 26 Oct 2017, 21:01 

Post Likes: +349
Aircraft: C 150
I can feel the excitement in your posts.

I am finishing up working with my IA to build the wiring diagram for my avionics upgrade. It is a case of we think the wiring is finished but without a diagram to check it against we don't know. Found a few errors in the course of making the diagrams so now a final check and we can start the installation. I have been planeless for a full year as of Saturday.

Yes I am anxious.

PostPosted: 31 Oct 2017, 07:07 

After being gone for a few days on vacation since last Friday, a little progress since my last report.
The replacement propeller governor drive pad has been checked for a flat mating surface that will replace the leaking one on my left engine. My A&P says he used a special stone to clean up a few small burs on the mating side. The pressed in bearing looks good also. The adapter pad has been blasted and repainted in Lycoming gray. We will remove the current one, swap over the governor drive gear and a few other small pieces that are in my leaking one and then reinstall the replacement with new gaskets. I hope this works..................... :cross:

We installed the new cabin door wind lace. It now makes my cabin door very hard to latch. It is installed properly and is the proper part for my airplane. When we rebuilt the hinge receptacles and installed new hinges on this same cabin door, I had already removed what was left of the original wind lace. Add to that a fresh new rubber door seal from Knots 2 U and we were already having a little issue getting the door to close tightly and latch. Now with the new wind lace, it's a task................ :bang:
We let the door stay closed and latched for about 5 days now since we installed this new wind lace. I am hoping it stretched a bit making the process to open and close a bit easier.............. :whistle:
In the meantime, I am ordering a new door seal from Guy Ginbey. The Knots 2 U seal is nice, but I like Guy's seals MUCH better (NO OFFENSE meant to the Knots 2 U product !)

Hopefully with some latch shimming and some tweaking, we can make this all work a lot better..............

Happy Halloween everyone! :ohno: :bugeye:

Reply to topic  [ 396 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next