banner
banner

19 Nov 2017, 15:35 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Garmin International (Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Saving Grandpa Twin Bonanza !!
PostPosted: 19 Feb 2015, 18:14 

Post Likes: +548
Company: Semi-retired
Aircraft: OPA
I talked to the airport manager, he said someone tried to get it running a couple years ago. They tried to start it and something happened, they left and haven't returned.
If someone is interested in resurrecting this old bird, I am happy to help with logistics, transportation, etc.. I'm not an A&P but can help with supervision.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2015, 00:59 

Post Likes: +280
Company: boyes bros. inc.
Aircraft: baron b55
I know of another ,maybe older twin bonanza. It does not have the D window. It is located in western Nebraska on interstate 80 at Brady.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2015, 07:28 

Post Likes: +922
Company: N?A
Aircraft: 1954 Twin Bonanza
Bob,
I believe this is the C50, later /newer Model Twin Bonanza you were referring to in Nebraska, just south of town off I-80
I assure you, H-5 IS the oldest Twin Bonanza remaining today.
The C50 you are referring to south of Brady sat abandoned at an airport in Nebraska for years. People picked away at it and the airport finally gave the Owner 30 days to remove it after decades of abandonment. On the 29th day (or about there) he had the airplane towed away and to the scrapyard it is currently residing at.
What a shame..................... :bang:

Anyway, thank you for reminding me about this old C50. Do you know it's Owner? Maybe he would be interested I selling it for parts??

Gregg :pilot:

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2015, 21:47 

Post Likes: +41
Company: Dove Air Sydney Australia
Aircraft: Beech D50C Twin Bona
Hi Folks,

I have some nice King KY175 nav coms and dual coms which you can have for H5 if they would be useful..no charge.

Might also have a few other bits from my D50A wreck...

Hope we can save H5!!

Kind regards from OZ!!!
Dave

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2015, 17:16 

Post Likes: +652
Company: Claussen's
Aircraft: E50,56TC
Username Protected wrote:
Bob,
I believe this is the C50, later /newer Model Twin Bonanza you were referring to in Nebraska, just south of town off I-80
I assure you, H-5 IS the oldest Twin Bonanza remaining today.
The C50 you are referring to south of Brady sat abandoned at an airport in Nebraska for years. People picked away at it and the airport finally gave the Owner 30 days to remove it after decades of abandonment. On the 29th day (or about there) he had the airplane towed away and to the scrapyard it is currently residing at.
What a shame..................... :bang:

Anyway, thank you for reminding me about this old C50. Do you know it's Owner? Maybe he would be interested I selling it for parts??

After reading this I got interested....I am only about 5 car hours away from this unit and about 1.5 hours flight time. I tried using google, google earth and every other way under the sun to figure out the address or contact info for here and it wasn't possible. So I got savvy and called the dairy queen across the street! :bud: They wouldn't answer there phone either!!! So next best thing. I called the city hall in Brady! They were not able tor release the owners name or contact info to me but they did say they would call him and give him my contact info. The lady who answered the phone was very nice and was willing to help and seemed like she personally knew him.

The 50,000' theory on this is to go and put it on the trailer and take it to NY with me...I have to go there anyways and it doesn't sound like there is anything on it that I could use but someone could rather then it rot away!

Chris

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2017, 12:01 

Aircraft: be35,C-150, G44A
Did anything ever happen with this old bird? Saw the thread while searching for GO435 info for my Widgeon....

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2017, 12:44 

Post Likes: +652
Company: Claussen's
Aircraft: E50,56TC
The scrap yard has been cleaned up. The gentlemans son who owned the airplane and was hoping to get the airplane flying is an active service member in our military. The presumption was it went to the scrapper with everything else.

Chris

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2017, 13:14 

Post Likes: +851
The scrap yard has been cleaned up. The gentlemans son who owned the airplane and was hoping to get the airplane flying is an active service member in our military. The presumption was it went to the scrapper with everything else.

Chris

Man, that's tough.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2017, 13:17 

Post Likes: +1366
Aircraft: 1957 Twin Bonanza
What a shame.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2017, 17:06 

Post Likes: +33
Company: Stoffel Aviation
Aircraft: H50 D50A T-Bones
I looked at H-5 two years ago and had a conversation with Gregg about it. The effort needed to get it back in shape will be significant but not beyond consideration. I can assist with helping out if someone gets serious as I am only about an 1 1/2 hr flight away.

I would suggest a thorough inspection as it sits today and let that and your pocket book guide your decision.

It can always be put on a truck but if flight controls can be acquired then ferrying it may not be a huge deal. If I recall all the flight controls were too bad to ferry.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2017, 22:08 

Post Likes: +25
Aircraft: 1976 C23 Sundowner
My Dad's plane back years ago, a 1955 C-50 with GO-480's (N3755B) was, last I talked to the owner a few years ago, in Grand Island, NE. That conversation was strained, but it wasn't in flying shape and might be parted out. Not sure if he did that as he re-registered it, but now the registration is expired and the address changed to Beaverton, OR.

If anyone is interested and near either airport (if it wasn't flyable probably GRI or if moved to Oregon I'm guessing HIO) I'd hope it could be found and rescued.

Bermuda Dunes, California

PostPosted: 27 Sep 2017, 07:06 

Michael,
Unfortunately, N3755B has been dismantled and scrapped out......... :thumbdown:

It belonged to a Doctor in Nebraska. He sold it to a guy who sold off the remaining parts and then had the airplane hauled off to the scrapper. The Doctor who owned it had removed all the good parts and left it sitting on jacks in his T-Hangar with the gear all removed from it. I wondered how they got it off jacks with no gear under it.
I bought some of the parts but very little. The metal chocks I use on my Twin Bonanza are from that airplane. They have "N3755B" spray painted on them.

Sorry to be the bearer of this news............. :doh:

My Dad's plane back years ago, a 1955 C-50 with GO-480's (N3755B) was, last I talked to the owner a few years ago, in Grand Island, NE. That conversation was strained, but it wasn't in flying shape and might be parted out. Not sure if he did that as he re-registered it, but now the registration is expired and the address changed to Beaverton, OR.

If anyone is interested and near either airport (if it wasn't flyable probably GRI or if moved to Oregon I'm guessing HIO) I'd hope it could be found and rescued.

PostPosted: 30 Sep 2017, 00:20 

Post Likes: +25
Aircraft: 1976 C23 Sundowner
Gregg,

Better to know than wonder, so thanks. Years ago when I talked to the Doctor in NE he was talking parting it out, then I heard more about him and didn't want to call back. When he moved to Oregon and registered the plane up there I had a moment of hope. Can't figure out why one would re-register a plane that was sold and parted out. :crazy:

Bermuda Dunes, California

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2017, 06:00 

Aircraft: F90
re ex ZS-CYX -any history available when it was in South Africa?

As far as I recall, South Africa probably had maybe 2 Twin Bonanza's
One was destroyed in a Cape Town hangar fire. It was modified with a air-stair door.

The other was exported to the Congo after I converted the new owner to it.
Never seen since then -mid 1980's .

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2017, 06:53 

re ex ZS-CYX -any history available when it was in South Africa?

As far as I recall, South Africa probably had maybe 2 Twin Bonanza's
One was destroyed in a Cape Town hangar fire. It was modified with a air-stair door.

The other was exported to the Congo after I converted the new owner to it.
Never seen since then -mid 1980's .

Theo,
Fellow BT member, David Pyett has possession of this D50E that was originally in a fire and from South Africa. It is still alive in Aussie under his care............ Same airplane?

Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next