22 Sep 2017, 13:18 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Advanced Pilot Seminars (Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Ipad - ForeFlight and External GPS
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2010, 00:51 

Post Likes: +81
Company: Torrence AeroMarine A&P IA
Today I finally took the leap and jailbroke my Ipad. I used the free program from http://www.jailbreakme.com/. This was very easy to use and was done entirely on the Ipad. The process took, at most, a minute or so, and was very seamless.

The jailbreak added an icon to my Ipad desktop for Cydia.

After the jailbreak and rebooting, this first rebooting took much longer than usual, I clicked on the new icon for the Cydia application and there were two updates, which I installed, then rebooted the Ipad again. This second time the reboot took the normal amount of time, it was just the first reboot after jailbreaking that took longer.

When the Ipad restarted, I clicked on the Cydia icon, went to the " Sections " screen using the bar at the bottom of the page, scrolled down to " Navigation " and clicked on BTstack GPS.

The BTstack application cost $5.00 and was downloaded. This placed an icon on the Ipad screen for GPS. Clicking on this Icon activates the BTstack application which then searches for a GPS.

The application instantly recognized my US Globalsat 821 GPS, http://www.usglobalsat.com/p-43-bt-821.aspx, and connected to it. With the GPS connected, all of the map and navigation applications I have loaded on the Ipad ran seamlessly with the external, bluetooth GPS. There were absolutely no hickups of any kind. Programs tested were ForeFLight, Ipad Maps, TopoMaps, Wundermap Weather.

The BTstack GPS application needs to run with the Ipad internal bluetooth set to off, this is done by going to the Ipad SETTINGS screen, then GENERAL and turning off Bluetooth. If you foreget to do this the BTstack application will do it for you.

You can also still run all of your map and navigation programs with the Ipad built in GPS after disconnecting the Bluetooth GPS from within the BTstack GPS application.

Using Foreflight with the Bluetooth GPS showed a very definite increase in GPS accuracy. Going back and forth from the built in GPS and the Bluetooth GPS was easy, just exit ForeFlight click on the GPS ap and disconnect, and showed that the Bluetooth US Globalsat 821 was more than three times as accurate; 2.8 meters vs 10 meeters for the Ipad built in GPS.

This was a very easy transformation of my Ipad from a good, but not aviation grade built in GPS to a great aviation grade, WAAS, DGPS bluetooth GPS.

I, at first, had some trepidation about jailbreaking my Ipad, but after doing so all concern vanished. All of the existing programs work as if no change has taken place, and I now have access to a great many programs that Apple does not support for download from iTunes.

Frank in Pueblo

Post subject: Re: Ipad - ForeFlight and External GPS
PostPosted: 04 Aug 2010, 01:24 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +2034
Aircraft: 1962 Twin Bonanza
Cool, thanks for the report. I have the WIFI version so I'll give it a try.

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2010, 01:35 

Post Likes: +81
Company: Torrence AeroMarine A&P IA
Adam and all:

I apologize for not mentioning in my original post that this will work like a champ with the WiFi only version of the Ipad.

If this had been available when I bought my Ipad I probably would not have bought the 3G GPS version. Although I use the 3G a fair amount to access data when I am not in range of a WiFi hub, mostly weather data using Wundermap, ForeFlight and the Weather Channel, I could get along without it. The 3G, though, is very nice when at a smaller airport where WiFi is not available, like Salida, CO. Also, with 3G ForeFlight will file your flight plan.

Frank

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2010, 05:48 

Post Likes: +1
Aircraft: PA-44 (not owned)
Can you update the ipad while its jailbroken? What if OS4 is released tomorrow? Will I be able to upgrade the jailbroken iPad or will I need the jailbreak software to upgrade to 4.0?

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2010, 09:20 

Post Likes: +30
Aircraft: C182P (Pleasure)
Username Protected wrote:
Can you update the ipad while its jailbroken? What if OS4 is released tomorrow? Will I be able to upgrade the jailbroken iPad or will I need the jailbreak software to upgrade to 4.0?

When you upgrade to a new OS version your Ipad will no longer be Jailbroken and the jailbreak apps will no longer be resident. There is a lag time between when the new OS is released and a jailbreak is available for that new release. Those who are jailbreak savvy will not upgrade from the old OS until there is a jailbreak in place for the new OS.

Each time you upgrade to a new OS, you will have to go thought the whole process again to jailbreak the Ipad (although you should not have to repurchase the apps like BTstack).

Kevin

PostPosted: 04 Aug 2010, 21:37 

Post Likes: +1
Aircraft: PA-44 (not owned)
I am trying this out on the iphone. Lets see how it works.

edit: It keeps crashing. I guess it doesn't work on the iPhone?

PostPosted: 06 Aug 2010, 16:58 

Company: VisualTour.com
Aircraft: 2008 G36
Thanks for the great writeup. I've purchased Foreflight recently and have it running on an iTouch and have an iPad on order. How do you find the visibility in the cockpit during bright days?

It's hard to believe that you can carry around every VFR and IFR chart, all the procedure plates and all of the airport information around in your hand, and have it all updated for a full year for $75!

Thanks,

Steve

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2010, 10:16 

Post Likes: +397
Aircraft: D50E
Cool, now we just need an XM radio and an app that reads the weather data bluetooth, like a cheap gdl69a. I was sure someone would introduce one at Oshkosh, but if they did it didn't make the news.

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2010, 12:01 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +922
Aircraft: 1965 Baron B55
Yes, all that's missing is the XM weather bluetooth puck that will bring your Wx subscription in and the XM radio.

That would be awesome!

1965 B55
KDTO-Denton, TX
N2023W SN: TC-971
http://www.CSOBeech.com

PostPosted: 07 Aug 2010, 12:24 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +216
Aircraft: 1988 Bonanza F33A
Somebody is going to try the bt receiver from wx worx that the bendix ace uses. Seems it wouldn't take much on a jail broke ipad.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2010, 21:48 

Aircraft: Formerly S35
I talked to the fore flight team at Osh. They say the had plans for an ads-b/waas gps puck. Free weather and traffic on an iPad would be so sweet. It would also allow for geo referenced plates.

They didn't want to use blueteooth because of stability. They were hoping for Apple to open up some of the ports on the sync plug for the puck. Once apple does it, they could make the upgrade in a few months. They said there is a team of pilot developers at apple that want to see this happen. :pray:

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2010, 21:52 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +395
Aircraft: Carbon Cub
I talked to the fore flight team at Osh. They say the had plans for an ads-b/waas gps puck. Free weather and traffic on an iPad would be so sweet. It would also allow for geo referenced plates.

They didn't want to use blueteooth because of stability. They were hoping for Apple to open up some of the ports on the sync plug for the puck. Once apple does it, they could make the upgrade in a few months. They said there is a team of pilot developers at apple that want to see this happen. :pray:

Wow. That would be unbelievable.

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2010, 23:30 

Gdl69a and Skywatch boxes go adiosito!

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2010, 11:22 

Post Likes: +746
Gdl69a and Skywatch boxes go adiosito!

That's a false sense of security, with the delay you will already have the midair before it is displayed!

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2010, 14:36 

How is it different than the existing delay, except for being 20 amu's less?
I think it would be great for every pilot to have access to xm wx and tas.

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next