23 Nov 2017, 07:05 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

L-3 Aviation Products (Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Garmin Pilot and Connext Limitations
PostPosted: 29 Sep 2017, 20:29 

Post Likes: +1652
Aircraft: '78 Bonanza A36
Still getting my initial experiences with Garmin Pilot, the GTN 750, and GTX 345r. Already had the GDL 69.

I'm not entirely sure my observed limitations can't be corrected somewhere in my configuration settings, but here's what I've noticed on my most recent trips.

1. Despite the GDL 69 feeding XM weather to my 750, it won't send same to my portables. I went "all Garmin" for the integration, and this strikes me as a big limitation. FIS-B just looks crude by comparison.

2. My 750 is a WAAS source connected to my transponder, but the portables don't get WAAS. My ipads and iphone are appearing to use their own GPS signals. Is there a way to have my installed gear send ADS-B in AND GPS position, and XM?

3. The "Procedures" button is a glaring omission in GP. Today I was anticipating an RNAV approach so I loaded it into the 750...very easy. I went to add it to GP, since GP shows more data fields (time and dis to waypoint, which the 750 doesn't have enough data blocks to show based on how I've chosen my custom fields). You can view a chart, but you can't load an approach into the route, as far as I can tell.

I'm otherwise loving GP. I have my phone on dedicated synthetic vision, my ipad mini for plate viewing and traffic, and sometimes map, and the 750 stays on map with Nexrad and traffic.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

Post subject: Re: Garmin Pilot and Connext Limitations
PostPosted: 29 Sep 2017, 20:37 

Post Likes: +1177
Company: USAF Simulator Instructor
Aircraft: Bonanza G35
I don't get it. There's a thread a week about someone's problem with Garmin Pilot. ForeFlight plays with Garmin avionics flawlessly. Why is GP still on the market?

Apologies for the thread drift.

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2017, 20:42 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +432
Company: Gilles Michaud const.Ltd.
Aircraft: 1966 Bonanza V35
Tony, I can't help you with GP, but I really like your panel. :drool:

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2017, 21:05 

Username Protected wrote:
I don't get it. There's a thread a week about someone's problem with Garmin Pilot. ForeFlight plays with Garmin avionics flawlessly. Why is GP still on the market?

I'll never know how great FF is. The trial version of FF doesn't have all features unlocked, and I'm not willing to pay for a year to find out if I like it. :thumbdown:

I wouldn't even be playing with Garmin Pilot if Aerovie could receive ADS-B in and AHRS from my GTX 345r. I'm on a 3-month "free trial" of GP due to buying the GTX 345r. Based on my experience so far, I'm likely to buy it. Doesn't mean I'm not going to point out and discuss shortcomings. In another thread I did that, and was instructed on how to use the app better (reversing route is called "inverting", and it is possible to display synth vis and traffic at one time).

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2017, 21:38 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +3075
Company: Easy Ice, LLC
Aircraft: C310P, C560, C185F
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=141406&view=unread#unread

Don't get me started. :bat:

PostPosted: 29 Sep 2017, 21:58 

https://www.beechtalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=141406&view=unread#unread

Don't get me started. :bat:

Been following that thread too. In total, it's a very disjointed product line with unrefined master planning.

Here's what I wish for as a mere customer:
1. allow any EFB to receive the panel streams currently restricted to GP and FF.
2. allow the 750 an interface to make calibration adjustments to the GTX 345r AHRS.
3. improve the trip briefing portion of GP
4. send all panel stream data to portables (including GPS position, XM, etc.)
5. allow approaches to be easily added in GP
6. more data field configuration options for the GTN (more blocks)

Kudos to the Garmin Pilot team for:
1. easy flight plan filing
2. flexible w&b
3. pilot logbook
4. slick synthetic vision on ipad
5. vector maps
6. overall easy and familiar interface

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2017, 11:01 

I'm a student pilot, and to be honest much of what you guys talk about goes over my head at this point in my flying experience. However, my phase check instructor is looped in to Garmin development, and he told me something recently that may shed some light on your question.

The instructor was saying that Garmin has been very open with FF over the years in terms of sharing their technology, standards, data formats, etc. which is why FF integrates so nicely with Garmin products. However, I was told that Garmin is going to not share so much with FF in the near future and instead focus on their own products and partnerships (meaning FF may not integrate so flawlessly with Garmin products in the future). Basically this would fracture the marketplace into a FF-Apple "team" and a Garmin Pilot-Apple/Android/Microsoft "team."

Given that Garmin Pilot will be available on more platforms and (presumably) have better integration with Garmin products going forward, I was told that others in the know have switched from FF to Garmin Pilot because they see the handwriting on the wall.

While GP may have some issues now, Garmin seems to be lining things up to make it the gold standard app rather than FF.

I have no idea if this is widely known or old news, so apologies if that's the case...just trying to share.

Last edited on 10 Oct 2017, 11:27, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2017, 11:04 

Post Likes: +11
Aircraft: Seneca II
I believe if you load the procedure in the 750, Connext will send it to the iPad via Garmin Pilot and ask if you want to accept it on the iPad. I know you cannot load the procedure directly in the iPad through Garmin Pilot. I have used ForeFlight previously and switched to Garmin Pilot when I installed FlightStream 210. Realistically, each has some pros and cons. But with Garmin's OnePak deals, I will stick with Garmin Pilot.

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2017, 11:07 

Post Likes: +11
Aircraft: Seneca II
I forgot to add that I have XM and I get that on my Garmin 796. Not sure why you are not. I have ADS-b via a Garmin 345r also that feeds to my Garmin 650 and Garmin 430. I have not tried to see if XM will paint on my 650 since the 796 screen is so much better.

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2017, 21:26 

Post Likes: +6
Aircraft: T182T
Been following that thread too. In total, it's a very disjointed product line with unrefined master planning.

Here's what I wish for as a mere customer:
1. allow any EFB to receive the panel streams currently restricted to GP and FF.
2. allow the 750 an interface to make calibration adjustments to the GTX 345r AHRS.
3. improve the trip briefing portion of GP
4. send all panel stream data to portables (including GPS position, XM, etc.)
5. allow approaches to be easily added in GP
6. more data field configuration options for the GTN

I would like to +1 on Tony’s comments, especially item 1. allow any EFB to receive the panel streams currently restricted to GP and FF.
I purchased a GTX345R for a Cessna 182 with G1000 and Active Traffic. It works fine now, but all of Garmin’s confusion about how to integrate the Active Traffic with the ADS-B probably added 2 AMUs to my cost, of the installation, and I don't know what the avionics shop had to eat. Thanks Garmin! The least you can do is make it work with our EFBs.

PostPosted: 10 Oct 2017, 21:30 

Post Likes: +126
Aircraft: V35B
I'm a student pilot, and to be honest much of what you guys talk about goes over my head at this point in my flying experience. However, my phase check instructor is looped in to Garmin development, and he told me something recently that may shed some light on your question.

The instructor was saying that Garmin has been very open with FF over the years in terms of sharing their technology, standards, data formats, etc. which is why FF integrates so nicely with Garmin products. However, I was told that Garmin is going to not share so much with FF in the near future and instead focus on their own products and partnerships (meaning FF may not integrate so flawlessly with Garmin products in the future). Basically this would fracture the marketplace into a FF-Apple "team" and a Garmin Pilot-Apple/Android/Microsoft "team."

Given that Garmin Pilot will be available on more platforms and (presumably) have better integration with Garmin products going forward, I was told that others in the know have switched from FF to Garmin Pilot because they see the handwriting on the wall.

While GP may have some issues now, Garmin seems to be lining things up to make it the gold standard app rather than FF.

I have no idea if this is widely known or old news, so apologies if that's the case...just trying to share.

Mike,

Your instructor is mostly right. I would not say it's accurate that Garmin "won't be sharing so much with FF in the days to come". My sources tell me there was a two year exclusive agreement between a couple parties that expired in August. With that agreement up, Garmin will be working with others, and you'll likely see Connext in other apps before year end, for example. Whole new world now. Will FF and Garmin continue to work flawlessly in the future - that's really an application development approach and methodology issue. Some build and test to higher standards than others.

FF on Android, or the lack there of has been around since the inception. Folks do like Pilot because of Android support. They also like Pilot as they have a user interface (UI) that is close to what the other Garmin products have. The new TXi has the same UI theme, so it's pretty intuitive where to go to find something.

I'm not sure I see Pilot as the gold standard, either now or in the future. They may, but there are clearly gaps to close. FF shines on weather and MOS for example where Pilot falls a little short. I don't know their product roadmap, but I think now that the exclusivity agreement is over, they have more freedom and they will explore all options. App connectivity will remain a big issue and one where I don't see any vendor trying to constrain. Connext support helps sell Garmin hardware - call it what it is.

Note: People are also leaving (or posting they are leaving) FF over the subscription cost. Widely discussed on this and other forms. Some say it's not a big deal - others say it is a big deal. It's really a personal thing. For me, I'm going to proficient in more than one as I always want a back-up.

Good luck as you finish your training. Hang around here as you finish your training....and afterwards. Loads of smart folks here and you will learn something new every day you read this forum. Less and less will go over your head - I promise. :rock:

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2017, 09:19 

Post Likes: +2
I am a relatively low time pilot and I went to Garmin Pilot for one reason and one reason only - Android support.

I have never had an Apple iPhone or iPad and never will. All of my family uses the Apple platform and for the life of me I do not know why. Android is the number one platform in the world for a very good reason - it is a much more stable platform and more importantly it is an "open" platform.

I like Garmin Pilot and I definitely like the other apps on the Android platform compared to the same functional apps that are found on Apple. For some reason in the US, most of the population has drunk the Apple koolaide.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2017, 09:39 

Stephen, I once held the same position regarding Apple. I had the latest (at the time) Google phone.

Then I got an ipad through work. Then an iphone. Then I bought an ipad mini for the airplane. Until you've used both, it's hard to compare. Ultimately it's an xbox/playstation debate....you pick the platform with the titles (software) you want.

I still have windoze pcs at home, though.

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2017, 10:24 

Post Likes: +425
Aircraft: V35B

John,

Because what he is asking doesn't really work on FF either.

My main gripe with GP is the weather planning, FF is just so much better. My problem is the feature set on both is beyond what I need or use.

Kevin

PostPosted: 18 Oct 2017, 10:37 

Post Likes: +345
Aircraft: 1982 Bonanza A36

I'll never know how great FF is. The trial version of FF doesn't have all features unlocked, and I'm not willing to pay for a year to find out if I like it. :thumbdown:

I wouldn't even be playing with Garmin Pilot if Aerovie could receive ADS-B in and AHRS from my GTX 345r. I'm on a 3-month "free trial" of GP due to buying the GTX 345r. Based on my experience so far, I'm likely to buy it. Doesn't mean I'm not going to point out and discuss shortcomings. In another thread I did that, and was instructed on how to use the app better (reversing route is called "inverting", and it is possible to display synth vis and traffic at one time).

I say this respectively, that is a mistake imho, sometimes you gotta roll the dice. I've had both, subscribed to both, FF is superior and is interconnected with my panel just perfectly. G500/gtn750/650/gdl88/fs210 and even a 796. Best of all, my favorite thing....it all works. I can't take credit for the way it was built, but he did a fine job.

Last edited on 18 Oct 2017, 17:58, edited 1 time in total.

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next