23 Nov 2017, 07:10 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

L-3 Aviation Products (Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Portable ADS-B and AHRS for $250
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2017, 09:10 

Post Likes: +144
Aircraft: J35, PT27
Seattle Avionics is offering a portable ADS-B, GPS, AHRS unit with battery for $250. They're calling it Merlin. It's based on the Stratux box. Their price is about what you'd pay for the kit so I ordered one. I'm also a FlyQ EFB user so it should work seamlessly.

http://www.seattleavionics.com/merlin.aspx

Post subject: Re: Portable ADS-B and AHRS for $250
PostPosted: 12 Sep 2017, 09:56 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +20
Aircraft: C23
Looks to be similar box with more different such as battery or antenna.

https://store.openflightsolutions.com/c ... tbox-ads-b

I see the Merlin box includes AHARS, but the Flightbox has that option too but at a higher cost.

Cheers, James

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2017, 17:30 

Post Likes: +1
Username Protected wrote:
Seattle Avionics is offering a portable ADS-B, GPS, AHRS unit with battery for $250. They're calling it Merlin. It's based on the Stratux box. Their price is about what you'd pay for the kit so I ordered one. I'm also a FlyQ EFB user so it should work seamlessly.

Looks like a price breakthrough for AHRS. Please put up a PIREP once you've used it. Is it compatible with other software like FltPlan GO?

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2017, 17:46 

Post Likes: +577
Aircraft: C 210
From the website it appears to only work with FlyQ EFB. Bummer...

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2017, 20:48 

Post Likes: +273
Company: CCDE, Inc
Aircraft: M-35
Actually, it appears to be a perfectly ordinary Pi based stratux with a decal on it ...

from the website :
"Works with Almost Everything
Merlin works with most popular iPad and Android apps such as FlyQ EFB and ForeFlight. It does not work with Garmin apps or devices.
* ForeFlight AHRS support requires an experimental software build from Stratux."

Its a big country. I NEED a fast airplane.

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2017, 06:03 

I hope so. I'm also a fltplango user. I hope to try it out this weekend.

Looks like a price breakthrough for AHRS. Please put up a PIREP once you've used it. Is it compatible with other software like FltPlan GO?

PostPosted: 15 Sep 2017, 14:37 

Aircraft: 1969 Beech E33A TN
Actually, it appears to be a perfectly ordinary Pi based stratux with a decal on it ...

I built one from parts a few weeks ago, with a GPS and AHRS included, in the same case pictured. Parts cost me $146.64. Assembly was pretty easy. Hardest part was finding each part online and ordering (all parts were from Stratux Store on Amazon.com)

It links with my ipad by WiFI. The attitude indicator is, as of now, kind of jumpy on Foreflight, but very solid on a web page on my Ipad that links to the Stratux. (The jumpiness is Foreflight's problem, because the company refuses to release the protocol for linking to AHRS sources it does not sell.)

I flew from Utah to Indiana and back last week with it. The radar was invaluable in dodging thunderstorms on the way back.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2017, 10:26 

Aircraft: BE-35

I built one from parts a few weeks ago, with a GPS and AHRS included, in the same case pictured. Parts cost me $146.64. Assembly was pretty easy. Hardest part was finding each part online and ordering (all parts were from Stratux Store on Amazon.com)

It links with my ipad by WiFI. The attitude indicator is, as of now, kind of jumpy on Foreflight, but very solid on a web page on my Ipad that links to the Stratux. (The jumpiness is Foreflight's problem, because the company refuses to release the protocol for linking to AHRS sources it does not sell.)

I flew from Utah to Indiana and back last week with it. The radar was invaluable in dodging thunderstorms on the way back.

PostPosted: 19 Sep 2017, 13:26 

Post Likes: +1
Company: Advanced Research Consulting
Aircraft: Bonanza H35
Did you use the 9050 IMU with the Bosch Pressure sensor? I've tried a few and haven't been happy with them. Looking for one which someone has tested in a plane successfully. All the ones I've messed with suffer from the slow moment of inertia change measurements being swamped by vibration. I know newer units usually use a 9DOF backend and then have a microprocessor running a Kalman filter to clean things up - so im curious what you've got. Is it stable while straight and level for a number of minutes?

PostPosted: 20 Sep 2017, 17:21 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +92
Company: Volair Sim
Aircraft: 1982 Bonanza A36

Great job Seattle Avionics. At this price, SA makes reasonable profit but us, pilots, get a unit where assembling oneself is not worth the hassle (unless you enjoy this kind of thing).

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2017, 07:27 

The Merlin portable works as advertised with FlyQ EFB. I finally had a change to try it out on a short flight on Friday. You do need to select the "Merlin" wifi from settings on the iPad first, oops :oops:

It also works with FltPlanGo. I just selected STRATUX as the external device and it linked up instantly.

For $250 complete with an external battery, it's a pretty nice setup.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2017, 10:20 

Jeff,
Here's a photo of the FltplanGo software running on the iPad mini. No problems at all.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2017, 11:50 

WWW  Profile

Hi Dave, is attitude supported by the Fltplan app? I would love an inflight video of the same. As I walk around the different shows and move/roll around the units, the jerky movement is a turnoff.

Thanks, James

If this guy works, I foresee a sharp price drop across the board for the non-Foreflight/Garmin units.

PostPosted: 25 Sep 2017, 17:36 

WWW  Profile

Here we go, $199 dual-bands, and AHRS, less internal battery.
https://www.iflygps.com/STORE/Product/stratux

Cheers, James

Comes out to $209 vs $264 out the door, if the battery is important to you.

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2017, 08:05 

James,
On my windows desktop, FltplanGo has a utility page that shows an AI and it works with the Merlin. On the iPad mini, FltplanGo works fine but I can't find a utility page that shows the AI. Am I missing something in the IOS version of FltPlanGo?
Dave

Hi Dave, is attitude supported by the Fltplan app? I would love an inflight video of the same. As I walk around the different shows and move/roll around the units, the jerky movement is a turnoff.

Thanks, James

If this guy works, I foresee a sharp price drop across the board for the non-Foreflight/Garmin units.

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next