19 Nov 2017, 15:44 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Garmin International (Banner)

Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Sensorcon Carbon Monoxide Detector Discount
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2017, 01:00 

Post Likes: +85
Aircraft: Mooney 231
A few weeks ago I survived a crash in my Mooney that was caused by Carbon Monoxide poisoning. I am an experienced pilot who never thought something like this would happen to me. I was always aware of the possibility of CO poisoning but was naive thinking I would know when it was happening. As it turns out, I didn't. If I had a good low-level detector, it would have not only prevented my accident but alerted me to the problem well before it was dangerous. For more info on my accident see "Minnesota plane down" thread in Crash Talk.

There are a lot of great detectors on the market, both portable and panel mounted units. I have been talking with one manufacture, Sensorcon. They have agreed to a 20% discount for pilots by way of a coupon code. This offer is good on any of their products. Please consider purchasing one of these or another similar detector. There is a temptation to use a cheep home detector. These are better than nothing, but I don't believe they are adequate for aviation use. They alarm at much too high of levels.

Below is a re post of my thread over on Mooneyspace with the details of the discount buy.

Everyone,

The folks at Sensorcon are willing to pass along a 20% discount to pilots on all of their products. At checkout use the code below.

http://sensorcon.com/collections/carbon-monoxide-meters

Discount code: aircraft2017

I'm going with the "industrial" and am going to add the Pump kit. I like the vibrating alarm and the pump kit will help with troubleshooting various applications(home, aviation, boating, etc.) In my opinion, every A&P should have one in the tool box.

They do recommend a calibration every 6 months. If no calibration is done they have a tendency to wander in accuracy. But only about +-2ppm. Even if you never calibrate, they will be infinitely better than the home detectors. Sensorcon said with regular calibration they are seeing some that are 5 years old that still operate properly. I think in a cockpit environment a once a year calibration is reasonable. Sensorcon may work with us on a lower calibration price also. One can calibrate on your own but would need the equipment. It might make sense to do a group buy on calibration equipment. I'll look into that down the road

If you don't have good CO Detection please consider adding a high quality detector. These Sensorcon Units are a good, cost effective option. I lived though my CO poisoning experience, but I shouldn't have. These things could/will save lives.

Also, feel free to share this discount code with others. I also ask that if you ever discover a CO problem down the road with a detector, share it with everyone. Online forums, airport lounges, family get togethers, etc. Lets keep the discussion going.

Cheers,

Dan

Post subject: Re: Sensorcon Carbon Monoxide Detector Discount
PostPosted: 25 Feb 2017, 01:33 

Post Likes: +72
Aircraft: 1983 Bonanza A36TN
Thanks for organizing this, Dan. I put this detector in my Amazon cart when I read the story of your crash but hadn't hit checkout yet. This pushed me over the hump.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2017, 07:32 

Post Likes: +250
Company: SkewTLogPro
Aircraft: 1984 Bonanza A36TN
Thanks for setting up the discount. I've been meaning to order a new one as my last CO detector disappeared. Note that shipping is free to the US.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2017, 07:55 

Post Likes: +121
Company: HPA
Aircraft: BE58, C182
Thanks Dan - appreciate your arranging this. Placing an order shortly.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2017, 16:19 

Post Likes: +718
Aircraft: PA32RT-300T
I just bought one off this deal. I've been using the plastic card/button detectors and honestly, I rarely look at it. With this, it should vibrate, flash and squeal at me.

Folks, it's $95.20 delivered to your door for the basic model. Small price for serious peace of mind.

Thanks Dan. Sincerely appreciate you bringing this to the for front of my mind. :cheers:

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2017, 16:49 

Post Likes: +2916
Company: N/A - Yeah!
Aircraft: 1991 Bonanza F33A
FWIW, the basic model doesn't vibrate, but I'm probably gonna pull the trigger, too.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2017, 17:54 

Post Likes: +708
Aircraft: LancairES TAT-TN
Not needed if you cruise LOP

How many CO incidents have occured in climb phase?

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2017, 17:56 

Post Likes: +66
I had a hard time finding the difference in the units. This page has the list I've was looking for:

http://sensorcon.com/products/programma ... 4193498308

My question is:

Is there value in adjusting the alarm below the standard? The standard alarms are 30 PPM low and 200 PPM high. It appears the pro version can be adjusted to alarm down to 5 ppm.

Thanks for putting this together. A CO monitor has been in the back of my mind for a while, but I just have not purchased one. I will this week.

Thanks!

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2017, 18:15 

Post Likes: +408
Company: Peabody Aviation, LLC
Aircraft: 1969 D55 Baron
Username Protected wrote:

Brian, was this meant to be facetious? The OP was almost killed in a CO accident that occurred early in the climb phase.

ABS Level III Aviator

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2017, 18:41 

Post Likes: +680
Aircraft: Warbirds
The discussion the OP Crash is here- viewtopic.php?f=41&t=134180
He flew multiple flights that day and each added to his poisoning level.
Dan's 1st BT Post was this in the CT Thread-

Hey everyone, I've been a beechtalk lurker for years. I primarily follow the crash talk and now I'm reading about myself. Bizarre. Here is a repost of what I just posted on Mooney space.com. communication is slow right now due to my injuries, but I'll try to answer questions best I can.

I'm the pilot involved in this crash. I started writing up a summary of the events leading to to my accident but I'm having problems with my old laptop. My frostbite hands make using my phone and iPad difficult but I'll try to throw up some facts and field questions when I get a chance.

The FAA is still investigating, but I'm 99℅ sure this was caused from CO Poisoning. This was the 3rd flight of the day and in hindsight I had CO poison symptoms most of the day. The heater/defrost was run full-on the whole time. 5 hrs after the accident CO Poisoning occurred as a possibility to me, my levels were then tested 15-18X higher than normal. I didn't have CO detection in the plane. I was dumb and naive to think that I would "know" when I was effected. I was way wrong! The problem was that the CO degrades ones cognitive ability to the point where you can't connect the symptoms with the cause.

I passed out in the climb and woke up in a field. I am the luckiest man alive. Allot of things helped to have the great outcome I have been blessed with.

1- I was in a Mooney. The airplane gave it's life to save mine. I'm a huge believer in the "steel cage" and the full spar.

2- I was wearing a shoulder harness. I still busted up my face, I'm not sure how, but I don't think I would be here without it.

3- STec 30 auto pilot. I was flying with the heading bug when I passed out. The electric autopilot kept the wings level all the way down. The original PC system may have worked just as well, but the engine was windmilling from 12k to the ground. I don't know if there would have been enough vacuum.

4- it happened in the climb. I only have alt hold so it was tracking heading bug and trimmed for climb. As I was in the initial climb I still had in full power with full rich mixture. This resulted in a fuel burn in the 17-18.5 gal/hr. And only allowed the airplane to climb to around 12.5k. if it were leaned at all I would have went much higher, for allot longer. Being that I was oxygen starved and unconscious it probably would have been fatal.

5- ATC was awesome. Because of them search and rescue was underway before I crashed. After I woke up I had to get myself to help, once I did emergency responders were to me in a few min. My 121.5 ELT was working, but if I had a 406 I bet I would have been pulled from the airplane before I woke up.

6- luck, luck, luck, divine intervention, miracle, what ever you want to call it.

I'm banged up, but should recover 100℅. I came home from the hospital on my daughter's 3rd birthday. It doesn't get any better than that.

Cheers,

Dan

Very glad he survived this crash and great he has taken the lead to set this deal up. :thumbup:

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2017, 18:56 

Post Likes: +1084
Aircraft: Bonanza K35 / D5739
I have the Sensorcon CO detector. It actually helped detect an exhaust leak that was causing severe headaches.

I coincidentally had just purchased this device, and had it strapped to my seat belt during the climb, when the alarm went off. Took to A&P, and found and fixed the exhaust leak. Now all less than 2ppm during cruise and climb. Great, very sensitive device. Great price.

- ABS Life Member -

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2017, 23:41 

Post Likes: +708
Aircraft: LancairES TAT-TN

Brian, was this meant to be facetious? The OP was almost killed in a CO accident that occurred early in the climb phase.

No, I didn't know that- but I have three monitors in my plane, and will soon have fewer as the batteries/sensors die in the ones I got off amazon

I'll read on his incident- edit: wow, in the climb even, didn't know it could get that bad that quickly

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2017, 00:20 

Post Likes: +20
Aircraft: Cessna 170B
Thanks, Dan! I bought one for me and one for my son, who's in a major university flight training program where I'm sure the aircraft are well-maintained, but the CO detector will let me sleep at night.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2017, 08:27 

Post Likes: +718
Aircraft: PA32RT-300T
FWIW, the basic model doesn't vibrate, but I'm probably gonna pull the trigger, too.

Just saw that after going back to look. But, vibrate really isn't all that important. I plan on velcroing to the panel in front of me. LEDs and noise aught to be sufficient, que no?

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2017, 08:31 

Post Likes: +2916
Company: N/A - Yeah!
Aircraft: 1991 Bonanza F33A
Si.

Reply to topic  [ 160 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next