29 Mar 2024, 06:30 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: 182RG to a Twin
PostPosted: 30 Aug 2014, 11:17 

Post Likes: +3198
Aircraft: C55, PC-12
Excellent choice Cody. My first airplane was a Warrior and I still have a soft spot for Piper in my heart.

I recommend you get a $20 Pulse OX meter from amazon and use it above 10K (when on O2). I found that when using oxygen, you don't get any warning if it quits. You can run out, one of the barbs can pop off, you can set it wrong (I've experienced all of these) and nothing really happens. I just get a little dull, but that same "dullness" prevents me from noticing the problem. I made a habit of checking my pulse ox every five minutes or so. On some days, I found that I need more O2 that others to have the same reading. Anyhow, I found it to be fun and it gave me something to do in cruise (besides listening to my bad singing).

As far as the friendly jabbing, I think its great. A lot of people (maybe me included (don't remember if I chimed in)) got on our high-horse and implied that you couldn't handle a twin. I'd feel a little beat-up after all that. Truth is they care and they want you on our team (team of pilots and airplane owners - nobody really cares if its a beech or not)

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2014, 12:13 

Post Likes: +6884
Aircraft: 1997 A36TN
Username Protected wrote:
I found that when using oxygen, you don't get any warning if it quits. You can run out, one of the barbs can pop off, you can set it wrong (I've experienced all of these) and nothing really happens. I just get a little dull, but that same "dullness" prevents me from noticing the problem. I made a habit of checking my pulse ox every five minutes or so.
That's one of the great things about the O2D2 pulse-demand regulators.

They beep if something isn't right with the O2. (no supply, no demand for some period of time, etc)

They also adjust the delivered O2 based on pressure altitude (with a few different settings available to mildly customize).

For me, the beeping when there's an issue is worth the price, but they also extend your O2 range quite a bit vs the constant supply regulators.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2014, 16:40 

Post Likes: +401
Aircraft: Baron 58P
I'd like to applaud you on your Saratoga, Cody which is a very fine airplane. However, I fail to see what you're trying to accomplish with your stir-the-pot insult. No need.

Because it's great fun to see all you loyal beech guys think that Beech is the only plane in the air and to be honest it gets sickening reading the same old crap from the Beech guys all the time.

Oh, and last I checked its a free country

Cody,

You are obviously a know it all pilot and no one is going to tell you anything that you don't already know---that is apparent from your comments. You are the super pilot and the guys on here who have thousands of hours (ex military fighter pilots, Airline pilots, Fed-Ex pilots etc ) can't tell you a thing. For your family's sake, I hope you make it through your cockiness without killing them. Your 100 hours is mostly dual as someone else pointed out----Brother it is easy when an instructor is sitting next to you, but when you have to make the decision on your own, with a 100hrs, you don't know what you don't know.

Now as for it being a free country, you are correct but you don't go into someone else's house and spit on the floor which is what you did here. If you like the lead sled that you bought, great and hopefully you will survive whatever bad decisions you inevitably make in it. But you are free to leave the board and not come back as your arrogance is not needed here or appreciated. There are pilots and people on this board who have forgotten more than you will ever know about flying. And the reason they fly Beech aircraft is b/c they are the best GA aircraft available. You think a 182 compares to a 58P or a G36 or a V35B or an A36?? Not even close---but I digress.

My suggestion for you is that if you are going to come onto a board and ask for advice, the least you can do is listen and not tout your arrogance and put down their planes because you can't afford to own one. We had a guy like that here a while back---his name was Ben and he is no longer with us---you may find yourself in the same boat.

Best of luck to you and again, hopefully your family makes it through your arrogant stage----all it will take is one near death experience for you to realize, that you are not invincible up there and you are not the best pilot to ever put on a headset. Good luck......

Matt

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2014, 16:52 

Post Likes: +3685
Aircraft: H35, T-41B, Aircoupe
There is probably a piper talk chat room somewhere.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2014, 17:19 

Post Likes: +7
Company: Which one?
Aircraft: 04 Meridian 05Mirage
I found that when using oxygen, you don't get any warning if it quits. You can run out, one of the barbs can pop off, you can set it wrong (I've experienced all of these) and nothing really happens. I just get a little dull, but that same "dullness" prevents me from noticing the problem. I made a habit of checking my pulse ox every five minutes or so.
That's one of the great things about the O2D2 pulse-demand regulators.

They beep if something isn't right with the O2. (no supply, no demand for some period of time, etc)

They also adjust the delivered O2 based on pressure altitude (with a few different settings available to mildly customize).

For me, the beeping when there's an issue is worth the price, but they also extend your O2 range quite a bit vs the constant supply regulators.

I went on Amazon and cannot find this pulse deal your talking
About. I would like to buy some. Please be more specific so I can find them. Thank you

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2014, 17:24 

Post Likes: +1026
Aircraft: Out of airplane biz
Please be more specific so I can find them.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

There's no difference between those that refuse to learn and those that can't learn!

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2014, 17:38 

Post Likes: +68
Company: John Patterson, P.A.
Aircraft: Cessna 182T
Cody
Try this link for a pulse ox.
http://www.amazon.com/50-DL-Pulse-Oxime ... ag=btalk-20

Thank you Charles for the 02D2 link
John

Last edited on 30 Aug 2014, 22:29, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2014, 17:41 

Post Likes: +5224
Aircraft: 1961 Cessna 172
If you want a pulse oximeter to measure your oxygenation, amazon has plenty for $20

If you want the O2D2 pulse demand oxygen regulator, try http://www.mhoxygen.com/

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2014, 22:07 

Post Likes: +7
Company: Which one?
Aircraft: 04 Meridian 05Mirage
If you want a pulse oximeter to measure your oxygenation, amazon has plenty for $20

If you want the O2D2 pulse demand oxygen regulator, try http://www.mhoxygen.com/

Thanks Charles. That's what I was looking for

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2014, 23:37 

Post Likes: +405
Aircraft: Baron B58P

A nice alternative to the O2D2 pulse demand oxygen regulator is the venture demand oxygen delivery device (DODD) by Invacare. It's half the price of the O2D2 from MH and has all of the same functions. One of the key benefits is that the non-proprietary barb allows the use of any nasal cannula you want. Also nice is that medical oxygen is dirt cheap in comparison to oxygen packaged for aviation. The catch is that you need to be a medical professional or have a prescription to purchase.

http://www.vitalitymedical.com/venture- ... evice.html
http://www.invacare.com/doc_files/1093845.pdf

I'm sure the followup statement to this is how illegal and unsafe it is to use medical oxygen instead of aviation oxygen. I queried the filling plant and they explained to me that the only difference between aviation oxygen and medical oxygen is that aviation oxygen is baked to remove all moisture. I found this understandable for bottles in the tail or nose that are not in the climate controlled cabin because the moisture can freeze and obstruct the oxygen lines. However, for oxygen bottles that are in the cabin at a comfortable temperature above freezing, I can't find any reason why medical oxygen is "unsafe."

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2014, 11:23 

Post Likes: +6884
Aircraft: 1997 A36TN
IMO, welding oxygen is totally safe (and readily available nearly everywhere).

Modern O2 production processes all produce O2 fit for human cosumption, and they produce it without appreciable water vapor content.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2014, 12:19 

Post Likes: +3198
Aircraft: C55, PC-12
IMO, welding oxygen is totally safe (and readily available nearly everywhere).

Modern O2 production processes all produce O2 fit for human cosumption, and they produce it without appreciable water vapor content.

+1

I get my welding gases from the same place my mechanic gets his O2.

Post subject: Re: 182RG to a Sartoga 2TC
PostPosted: 31 Aug 2014, 12:29 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +9075
Aircraft: 1962 Twin Bonanza
Two weeks ago I bought a 2001 Saratoga 2 TC

530w
430w
Mfd

I am super happy I didn't go with a 1980 old crappy Bonanza with outdated avionics for the same money!!!!

There are no crappy Bonanza's and uh, those avionics are outdated...

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2014, 14:25 

Post Likes: +10538
Aircraft: 1970 Baron B55

A nice alternative to the O2D2 pulse demand oxygen regulator is the venture demand oxygen delivery device (DODD) by Invacare. It's half the price of the O2D2 from MH and has all of the same functions. One of the key benefits is that the non-proprietary barb allows the use of any nasal cannula you want. Also nice is that medical oxygen is dirt cheap in comparison to oxygen packaged for aviation. The catch is that you need to be a medical professional or have a prescription to purchase.

http://www.vitalitymedical.com/venture- ... evice.html
http://www.invacare.com/doc_files/1093845.pdf

Interesting. However the MH O2D2 has outlets for two users instead of the single one on the Invacare unit so it's more comparable to MH's O2D1 (selling for $635). Two DODDs would cost about the same as on O2D2 but would weigh more, take up more space, and require something to connect two to the O2 source.

And speaking of the O2 source, the MH units and the Invacare one appear to require regulator putting out 20 psi. MH sells such a regulator (for more $$) but I'm wondering if that means I couldn't use regular conserving cannulas for the 3rd and 4th persons in my plane on the rare occasions when I fly high with multiple pax?

Any MH O2D2 users know how that would work?

Quote:
I'm sure the followup statement to this is how illegal and unsafe it is to use medical oxygen instead of aviation oxygen. I queried the filling plant and they explained to me that the only difference between aviation oxygen and medical oxygen is that aviation oxygen is baked to remove all moisture. I found this understandable for bottles in the tail or nose that are not in the climate controlled cabin because the moisture can freeze and obstruct the oxygen lines. However, for oxygen bottles that are in the cabin at a comfortable temperature above freezing, I can't find any reason why medical oxygen is "unsafe."

Actually your "filling plant" appears to be misinformed and has bought into the OWT that medical oxygen has moisture in it. First of all, moisture would cause the exact same problem for medical use as for aviation use in that it could freeze in the regulator due to adiabatic cooling. Where this nonsense comes from is that for medical use, O2 from the tank is often run through a container of water to add moisture before delivering it to patients.

Second, these days pretty much all oxygen "filling plants" get their gas from the same source and store it in the same tanks regardless of the intended use whether it be medical, aviation, or welding.

IOW the only difference between medical O2 and welding O2 is that the former requires a prescription. And the only difference between ABO and welding O2 is a sticker that says Aviation Breathing Oxygen that sometimes gets applied to the receiving tank.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.

PostPosted: 31 Aug 2014, 17:56 

Post Likes: +1701
Company: N/A - Retired
TT: 100+ -check
30 hr "hood" -check
New IR, New MEL -check
Attitude- check
North Dakota winter coming. I don't see a problem, what could go wrong?

Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next