25 Apr 2024, 03:34 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: New from Russia
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2011, 20:13 

Post Likes: +127
Aircraft: Piper Arrow II
Kirill, welcome to BT. Awesome photos. Thanks.

Alan Bradley

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2011, 20:46 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +228
Company: Coats & Evans, PC
Aircraft: 1989 Bonanza F33A
Kirill,

Welcome to BeechTalk! Your pictures were terrific! I really enjoyed them.

Drew

http://www.TexasAviationLaw.com

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2011, 21:45 

Post Likes: +10757
Aircraft: 1970 Baron B55
Username Protected wrote:
I would hear an offer for Beech with pleasure, thanks for that! GPS has a use for sure as we have locally made databases and they work fine. You could check it our downloading Navigation Pro free maps for Russia - worth to see number of dead airfields :(

The databases for our GPS units (e.g. GNS480, GNS430W, etc) are encrypted and I doubt you'd be able to make your own (If you do know how there's plenty of folks here in the US who'd like to learn more about that!). The purpose of the encryption is to prevent copying and sharing the expensive commercial products.

Quote:
My main concern is the engine: I have heard that some models eats Mogas which is 4 times cheaper here then Avgas. As I searched on your forum I found that IO-520 is pure Avgas drinker :) Won't influent my decision to buy as actually it eats only 30% more then 172 per mile. I plan to use it for business trips for 100-300 nm.

Unfortunately, none of the Barons have ever been equipped with engines which would run on MoGas, the higher octane of 100LL is needed to prevent detonation. That said, MoGas few owners have been known to use 100LL for takeoff and climb then switch to MoGas for cruising (illegal in the US) and Baron's prior to 1974 have separately selectable main and aux tanks. For 1974 and newer 55s the tanks are interconnected and the max (optional) capacity was increased from 136 to 166 in the E55.

If you're serious about a Baron (or just want to learn more about them) and your English is as good as it appears from your posts you should pick up a copy of Larry Ball's "From Travel Air to Baron, How Beech Created a Classic!". It has a fairly complete description of the whole line with spec's for each year of production (including most of the changes made each year).

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.

Last edited on 29 Mar 2011, 23:10, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2011, 21:56 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +228
Company: Coats & Evans, PC
Aircraft: 1989 Bonanza F33A
Lance,

I assume you mean Mogas, not Avgas?

Drew

http://www.TexasAviationLaw.com

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2011, 23:11 

Lance,

I assume you mean Mogas, not Avgas?

Drew

Your assumption is correct. I edited my mistake, thanks for pointing it out.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2011, 00:50 

Post Likes: +503
Company: Telematic Systems, Inc.
Aircraft: Baron E55
Lance,

You are correct about it being illegal to run our Baron's and Bo's on Mogas. However, I don't agree with your statement that our aircraft piston engines won't run, trouble free, on 93+ (ethanol free) Mogas.

The detonation problem you refer to exists with the turbocharged engines, whether turbo normalized or turbocharged. Normally aspirated piston engines will run without a problem on 93-94 oct. Mogas as long as the timing is correct and the fuel flow is set up properly.

I don't know what the spec is on Mogas in Russia, but I hope it is ethanol free and has a high enough octane rating that it can be used by Russian aviators and the Russian government is wise enough to not interfere with or hinder the growth of General Aviation in their country. If this happens, then us LOSERS, here in the U.S, living in this cancerous environment of ever growing governmental control will have a market and place to sell off our aircraft. :bang:

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2011, 03:14 

WWW  Profile

Aircraft: C172

If so I propose to take a look on large photo bank here: http://photo.qip.ru/users/zlin142/15053 ... nImageLink

nice pictures! the ads are interesting too

:oops: ads were not there some time ago when we posted photos:) i posted them also on facebook for my sister living in NY but I deactivated account failing to get use to this nice tool

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2011, 06:31 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +12092
Company: ? Most always. I like people.
Aircraft: 1991 Bonanza A36
Kirill, please do not feel you have to apologize for the ads. Look at Beech Talk, and we love it. Have to pay for that bandwidth.

Thank you for the pics. I feel like I've been there now. I invite you to take a look at the video I've dedicated to you and all pilots. It describes some of the things pilots do here to help our fellows.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=54595

BNice

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2011, 07:38 

WWW  Profile

Kirill, please do not feel you have to apologize for the ads. Look at Beech Talk, and we love it. Have to pay for that bandwidth.

Thank you for the pics. I feel like I've been there now. I invite you to take a look at the video I've dedicated to you and all pilots. It describes some of the things pilots do here to help our fellows.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=54595

Fantastic! Thanks I really enjoyed! You know what really impressed me: you want and you can help others with your skills. That makes real sense to spend money, time (not only your own but your family also) for your hobby as it gets not only tool to entertain yourself but to assist, help and sometimes even save other human bodies... I regret it's not the case so far in Russia. Most of the people think that we are crazy oligarchs burning money for nothing. Actually besides the fact that we are not oligarchs (they normally fly as POB in pressurized speedy jets with nice flight attendants) they somehow right: we cannot do anything to become useful for the society. My Baikal project hopefully will help to change a bit attitude of people but will see... As an example of people on the ground behaviour: 3 weeks ago one plane was on sortie from our airfield. It was regular training sortie and nothing was going wrong before somebody shoot the plane... Inches from cabin and left tank... you see it on the pics. They just hate us if they do so. Last summer when I was on the route to Novgorod (city 200 nm from Moscow) for short business trip I spotted forest fires and marked them on the map. Having landed I get to the tower and put my map on the table of the controller. His answer was horrible: "we have no fires in the area, we managed to get rid of all of them and that's my official answer to you. Unofficially you should understand that if I take your map and report I will have to send plane there which I don't have...means it exists and even flies but only on the paper my friend.." I was just trying to help...

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2011, 14:12 

It's my understanding that "high compression" (e.g. IO470L) NA aircraft engines can have detonation issues with MoGas at high temps but I have no direct experience with that. I'd think that if this weren't true there would be STCs for using MoGas in those engines. Do you have data showing that a "conforming" IO470L won't detonate on MoGas when the OAT and CHT are at the high limits? Perhaps George Braly can comment.

Lance,

You are correct about it being illegal to run our Baron's and Bo's on Mogas. However, I don't agree with your statement that our aircraft piston engines won't run, trouble free, on 93+ (ethanol free) Mogas.

The detonation problem you refer to exists with the turbocharged engines, whether turbo normalized or turbocharged. Normally aspirated piston engines will run without a problem on 93-94 oct. Mogas as long as the timing is correct and the fuel flow is set up properly.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2011, 14:44 

The average non-pilot citizen in the US believes we are all "rich playboys" and should be banned because we create noise, waste fuel, and crash all the time so things are quite as different here as you think. Then again most of those citizens don't shoot at planes (it has happened but is extremely rare and they usually miss).

Fantastic! Thanks I really enjoyed! You know what really impressed me: you want and you can help others with your skills. That makes real sense to spend money, time (not only your own but your family also) for your hobby as it gets not only tool to entertain yourself but to assist, help and sometimes even save other human bodies... I regret it's not the case so far in Russia. Most of the people think that we are crazy oligarchs burning money for nothing. Actually besides the fact that we are not oligarchs (they normally fly as POB in pressurized speedy jets with nice flight attendants) they somehow right: we cannot do anything to become useful for the society. My Baikal project hopefully will help to change a bit attitude of people but will see... As an example of people on the ground behaviour: 3 weeks ago one plane was on sortie from our airfield. It was regular training sortie and nothing was going wrong before somebody shoot the plane... Inches from cabin and left tank... you see it on the pics. They just hate us if they do so.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2011, 16:06 

Post Likes: +503
Company: Telematic Systems, Inc.
Aircraft: Baron E55
It's my understanding that "high compression" (e.g. IO470L) NA aircraft engines can have detonation issues with MoGas at high temps but I have no direct experience with that. I'd think that if this weren't true there would be STCs for using MoGas in those engines. Do you have data showing that a "conforming" IO470L won't detonate on MoGas when the OAT and CHT are at the high limits? Perhaps George Braly can comment.

Lance,

The IO470L has a 8.6 to 1 CR. It's my opinion, don't ask for details on why I strongly believe it, that this engine as well as any TCM (IO520 or IO550) with a CR of 8.6/1 or less will, if properly timed (22deg BTDC) and with the fuel pressure and flow set up per spec. will run without a problem on 93-94 oct. Mogas (ethanol free). The engine would have to be in good mechanical condition; no cylinder hot spots, such as a burnt exhaust valve or glowing metallic ash and have good functioning baffles for controlling CHT's. Also, it would require that the operator make sure of the quality, age and distribution method of the Mogas.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2011, 01:37 

WWW  Profile

So, we're moving step by step to our dream:) Yesterday I Skyped to George and he sent me logs for engines, props and airframe. Thanks to David Malin :cheers: I have now contacts of engineer to perform all checks. As we have to make conversion of our Russian licenses to FAA PPL and get ME rating we need to spend some time and efforts to make it NC. George was also very informative and helpful on this! It's turned out that he has Baron school and FAA examiner nearly on site. Hope to find now POH for E55 to start preparing ourselves. We target may to come, so hopefully by 15th of May we'll be ready to start our transatlantic flight :) Also I'm thinking to load plane with spare parts as it's a headache to order them from Moscow after. Imagine the answer I had from our authorities: Baron will be certified as Experimental but I will need to remove 2 seats for inspection :) After I can re-install them w/o any problem declaring as re-modification. Crazy rules, but it's an only way anyhow.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2011, 09:47 

Post Likes: +8496
Aircraft: Ex PA22, P28R, V35B
This gets better as we go along. I hope that everything works out, and that you will post us video and pictures of your trip across the north Atlantic.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2011, 10:22 

Post Likes: +3117
Aircraft: 1969 Bonanza V35A
Son, when you decide to execute, you waste no time!

Good luck with this adventure - keep us posted.

Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next