Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: New member, prospective buyer
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2011, 12:39 

WWW  Profile

Company: Micro Mechanical, LLC
Aircraft: TB20
Hello all,
I currently own a Socata TB20 and have been looking at a later model F33A. I love the Trinidad but I really want air conditioning and some other features that are lacking in my plane. I have the first TB20 in the US and it is not worth investing in as I will see no return.

I was wondering what are the honest pros and cons of the F33A? It seems that I should buy as close to possible to what I want rather than build what I want from a decent well maintained F33A.

Thanks!
Steven

Post subject: Re: New member, prospective buyer
PostPosted: 10 Mar 2011, 20:53 

Post Likes: +23514
Aircraft: Prior C310,BE33,SR22
Steven,
Welcome to BeechTalk.

What's your usual flying mission?
What do you usually haul or think you will haul?
Why did you pick F33A to look at?

- Mars Bonfire

PostPosted: 10 Mar 2011, 23:08 

Post Likes: +8411
Aircraft: Ex PA22, P28R, V35B
Welcome, Steven.

As Arlen said, give us some info on needed payload and range.

And where will you be flying? i.e. consider whether turbo is needed.

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2011, 06:04 

WWW  Profile

Thanks for the responses. I picked the F33A probably out of ignorance, I do not need 6 seats (A36) , and I realize a 6 seat airplane is really 4 with luggage and so forth. My main mission is travel, I do not just fly around, except for training, to look down from above. I usually travel in the 300-500 nm range with 2-3 SOB and luggage but would like to venture further in the future mostly up and down the east coast. I do live along the Blue ridge mountains and would love a turbo for climb but the extra maintenance may not payoff, I might head west once or twice a year.

Thanks for your input!

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2011, 10:26 

Post Likes: +23514
Aircraft: Prior C310,BE33,SR22
Username Protected wrote:
Thanks for the responses. I picked the F33A probably out of ignorance, I do not need 6 seats (A36) , and I realize a 6 seat airplane is really 4 with luggage and so forth. My main mission is travel, I do not just fly around, except for training, to look down from above. I usually travel in the 300-500 nm range with 2-3 SOB and luggage but would like to venture further in the future mostly up and down the east coast. I do live along the Blue ridge mountains and would love a turbo for climb but the extra maintenance may not payoff, I might head west once or twice a year.

Thanks for your input!

The F33A is a great plane for the flights you mention with 2-3 people and going 500 miles. Turbo is a whole other question. My plane (the father of the F33A) is not turbo'd, and I've flown all over this country; however, those with turbo will tell you that it adds additional options and capabilities....and some extra expense.

My recommendation, let this group know where you are or where you'll be in the next couple weeks, and someone nearby will have an F33A to demonstrate.

- Mars Bonfire

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2011, 10:32 

Post Likes: +2231
Company: MBG Properties
Aircraft: 1972 Bonanza V35B
Steven,

Welcome to BeechTalk. We're always glad to help someone spend his money to buy a plane.

If air conditioning is a requirement for your next plane, especially if it is an F33A, you have narrowed the search market by over 90%.

Come fly with me.

My photos: https://photos.google.com/albums

PostPosted: 11 Mar 2011, 10:44 

Post Likes: +2175
Company: Stratz Farms
Aircraft: 1992 Bonanza F33A
I would agree, not very many AC equiped F33A's. Many late model F33A's do have vent blowers which help on the ground.
Where are you located?

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2011, 10:17 

WWW  Profile

Thanks for the responses..

For the next week I will be in Stuart, FL then I will head back to home base @ KMTV in SW Virginia. I do travel often to Knoxville, TN as my daughter lives there.

I really would like air, my wife pretty much insists. There are a few F33A's that are loaded with glass panels and air for sale. I don't know if this is an attempt to hide mechanical defects or not. Again, I do not know the Beech series well. I would prefer though a later model plane.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2011, 12:20 

Post Likes: +550
Aircraft: F33A,Tecnam P2008
Hello Steven,

Welcome to BT. Sounds like your typical mission is about the same as mine. My wife's requirement for air conditioning was one of our considerations when we started looking for our next plane also. It does narrow the search but they are out there. We settled on a 1990 F33A with air conditioning.

Good luck.

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2011, 12:44 

Post Likes: +2175
Company: Stratz Farms
Aircraft: 1992 Bonanza F33A
Steven, go in and edit your Avatar to add your location, helps us help you.
Thanks,

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2011, 12:56 

Post Likes: +3313
Company: tomdrew.lawyer
Aircraft: 1973 Baron E55
I am sure Max is correct on limiting the market by 90% if you want to buy one with air. I would not put air conditioning on the mandatory list. Get a pristine airplane and you can add the air. PM Drew Coats and he can give you the low down. Plenty of others here who have added air. Not that big of deal these days.

I flew an F33C for five years and you will have to look long and hard to find a better machine for your mission. You would love an F33.

If the wife wants air you give her air. Welcome and good luck. :cheers:

Currency 12 M: IPC/BFR, CFII Renewal

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2011, 15:11 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +228
Company: Coats & Evans, PC
Aircraft: 1989 Bonanza F33A
Steven,

Welcome to BeechTalk.

We love our F33A, and from what you have said about your mission, it would probably suit your needs very well.

A/C is great, whether factory or after market, and if your wife says its mandatory, by all means run with that :bow:

We just added air to our F33A and are very pleased so far. I would be happy to visit with you further about our experience, or you can search threads to find some of my posts and pictures about it.

As I understand, one of the late model, air conditioned F33As currently on the market was an ABS cover plane within the last year and is in Florida. I do not think the owner is on BT, but if I were in your situation, I would try to go look at that plane while you are in the area. We are in Kissimmee this week, and currently have an indeterminite departure sometime between Thursday and Sunday (long story), but if you wanted to run up to KISM to see our installation, we might be able to work that out.

Drew

http://www.TexasAviationLaw.com

PostPosted: 16 Mar 2011, 18:17 

Post Likes: +13064
Aircraft: PC12NG
These are my favorite threads.

Do you mind if I ask what your budget is if you didn't already tell us?

I of course say go for the A36 if it's in the budget and here's why. Doesn't cost any more to operate. Lot's of utility and easy to sell when the time comes. It may be 4 with luggage but they aren't cramped. Lot's of room. My SR22 for example would not do 4 with luggage.

Now is a great time to buy as airplanes are in the toilet. Buy what you can keep forever and get the most bang for the buck.

Of course, F33's are great planes also. What's price difference nowadays? I don't ever peruse F33's.

Post subject: F33A vs A36, prospective buyer
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2011, 11:00 

WWW  Profile

These are my favorite threads.
Good because I love the input.

Do you mind if I ask what your budget is if you didn't already tell us?
I have not, I would personally prefer to "pay upfront" to have a plane with relatively low engine time, air and possibly a glass panel. The cost and aggravation of finding a plane and managing the upgrades to me does not get much bang for the buck. As I am an electronic design engineer and worked briefly in avionics, the aggravation factor would be high. For some unknown reason to others, I want things done right and expect it. So for a starting # I would say $275K or less. I have seen decked out low time engine F33A's anywhere from $200k-$290k. If I only had to oversee the installation of a glass panel I can handle that.

I of course say go for the A36 if it's in the budget and here's why. Doesn't cost any more to operate.
Well, this is not the first time I have heard this so I am definitely going to investigate. We do go on extended trips and the TB20 is packed to the gills with only two of us. We are never near gross but the volume is totally consumed.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2011, 11:19 

Post Likes: +10440
Aircraft: 182
Steven,
I'm hearing that the comfort of your spouse and the passengers is a high concern. Let me echo Jason's post on the A36 because I would hate for you to rule it out because of a preconceived notion.

On an A36, there is nothing more comfortable and practical than those big old barn doors when loading gear and passengers. My wife and I typically take our road bikes on trips.... it is NO trouble at all loading a bike. Not so easy, if not impossible with a small baggage door and difficult through the cabin door of other models

If you ever take passengers that aren't so mobile... again those doors and the club seating make that a snap. My 82 year old mother in law calls it her "first class cabin". (no mother in law jokes here... she can kick all your +$sses.).

And... with the 36 , aft CG and weight and balance issues are almost non existent.

Of course, all of us with different models will chime in why their bonanza model is best. Remember that they are all wrong :harhar: . Seriously, you can't go wrong with any of the models. They all have their charms and shortcomings. But, opening up your list of models you will consider will greatly enhance the chance that you will get one with everything you need. Like the airconditioning.

Good luck...
and welcome
Mike

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next