Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Another victim...
PostPosted: 06 Dec 2010, 02:26 

Post Likes: +2
Company: Unmanned Technical Services
Aircraft: A36TC
Here's my intro - I think I may be a little different than most...

Father was a Homebuilder, Private Pilot, and quite a skilled craftsman. There was always an airplane in the garage growing up. He built a EEA Bipe, and Re-built a T-craft, and almost finished a Pitenpol before he passed. He owned a C-120, Champ, and a straight tail C-150. I inherited the 150 when he passed, but that's another story...

I, after deciding not to attend Med School applied for and was accepted to Navy Flight School. Winged in 1986, went on to fly large (H-53) helicopters after T-34s and Jet Rangers in P'cola. Transitioned from Helos to fixed wing and flew both C-130s and King Airs, before leaving for the Airlines.
Hired by TWA in '96, furloughed by AA in '02. Brief stint at AEagle, but quit - but that's another story...

Returned to Active Duty in '05, left again in '09. Learned all that I could about UAVs as a Program / System "guy" and via multiple trips to Iraq and AFG - but that's another story...
Now I work in the UAV Industry via my own Company.

So - haven't flown anything in several years and getting the itch. Now in a position to own - via my company, so I'm looking forward to coming back. My use would be 50/50 biz/Pleasure - from long trips to shorter local hops.

Although I have Multiple ratings up through ATP - I know very little about GA! I also know very little about piston flying - almost all of my flying (6000+ hours) is in various Turbines.
Hoping to learn a lot here.

I've looked at my predicted needs/wants and have drawn down to either a Bonanza variant or a C310. My time in smaller twins is significant (lots of time in that King Air), so the draw of speed / six seat / (plus it looks damn sexy) is there, but I think the maint $$$ puts the 310 out of my reach.

So - I'm hear to learn about Bonanzas. I know Beech from King Airs (even toured the factory twice!) and sounds like the characteristics are there in the Bonanza.

I live in SoCal - Orange County. If someone offered a ride - I'd gladly pay gas / expenses. I've never even sat in a Bonanza...

Mitch

Post subject: Re: Another victim...
PostPosted: 06 Dec 2010, 03:45 

Post Likes: +2233
Company: MBG Properties
Aircraft: 1972 Bonanza V35B
Welcome, Mitch.

First, Beech is the best. I AM prejudiced.

Second, may I solicit you to join the American Bonanza Society, our other support group. Between ABS and BeechTalk we will help spend your money for a plane and help keep you flying.

ABS has a list of people who have volunteered to introduce people to Beechcraft:

http://www.bonanza.org/Test-Flight/

I look forward to more of your posts and more about some of your interesting experiences flying for the airlines and military. :cheers:

Come fly with me.

My photos: https://photos.google.com/albums

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2010, 08:18 

Post Likes: +23625
Aircraft: Prior C310,BE33,SR22
Welcome.

And, one day we'd like to hear about some of those...."but that's another story".

- Mars Bonfire

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2010, 10:40 

Post Likes: +11
Aircraft: In market
Mitch,

Welcome! Arlen's right you sound like a guy who should write your memoirs. I know these guys would love to hear your story.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2010, 10:54 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1369
Company: Progress Technical. LLC
Aircraft: B-55
Mitch,

Welcome from the right coast. I love my Deb. I'd be glad to take you for a ride if you're in the Philly area on business.

I don't think I could have gotten anything else as capable or fast in my price range as a Beechcraft. For winter flying, the TKS keeps me out of trouble whilst I find a no icing route. You probably won't have that problem in SoCal. But for speed, fuel burn, and reliability, I think I got a pretty good deal.

Don't overlook the Baby King-Airs, the Barons in all sizes and capabilities have prices not to be believed. How about a low time 58P for $150K?

--paul

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2010, 10:57 

Post Likes: +10548
Aircraft: 182
mitch,
I'm sure a few so cal folks will weigh in... but if in Sacramento... I can take you up in an A36... no problem... no charge.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2010, 11:54 

Post Likes: +8493
Aircraft: Ex PA22, P28R, V35B
Welcome. The Beech magic is strongly present in the Bonanza line: that's where it all started, after all. :bow:

Piston management is a whole new ball game, and if you are serious about flying piston equipment, plan to either take the Advanced Pilot Seminar in Ada, OK, or online. Piston engines remain by far the most efficient source of 200-350 hp but management of these dinosaurs takes knowledge.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2010, 12:03 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1962
Aircraft: BE-TBD
Welcome to the board Mitch, great to have you. A 310 can be a nice airplane (nice elbow/shoulder room for sure), but they aren't in the same league as a Baron as far as flying qualities, as well as design and build. Fly 'em both and you'll be in a Baron. Or, the Bo you mentioned would be an excellent idea to pursue.

You'll get plenty of advice here!

again, welcome

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2010, 13:28 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +519
Company: Latitude Aviation
Aircraft: 2007 Bonanza G36
Welcome Mitch...You're in the right place if you want to learn about Beech's and make good friends/contacts in this world. There's a bunch of former (and some current) military guys on here as well as a number of us airline guys as well. Thanks for your service. One of my friends is currently on mil leave from my airline and is "flying" those UAV's with the TXANG out of Ellington in Houston. He says the mission is incredibly rewarding (constantly working with the guys who are TIC).

Anyhoo, regarding Bonanzas/Barons, it sounds like you may be a perfect candidate for a turbo-normalized Bonanza. If I were flying on the Left Coast I would want one...given the higher MEA's due to the mountain ranges, etc. What is your rough budget? And yes, us BT'ers have no problem spending other people's money...in fact, we love to do so! But a Tornado Alley converted Bonanza will give you 190kts to 205kts up high...and give you outstanding climb performance on hot/high days as well. Tip tanks would be a huge plus as well. Take some time to read through the site and you'll find answers to many of your questions without even having to ask them yourself.

Drop me a line if you have any specific questions about A36's and I'd be glad to help where possible...especially about using the plane for 50/50 business as the plane that I manage is run through an LLC that is leased back on an hourly basis to the owner's company for business use. This makes for some good tax advantages as you can imagine.

-Neal

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2010, 13:34 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +805
Aircraft: SR22
Neal is very good in his management capacity :thumbup:

Mitch, welcome, I enjoyed your story and chuckled every time you typed "but that's another story"

I can give you a ride in my old C35 in January - I fly out of VNY.

Alejandro

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2010, 14:37 

Post Likes: +76
Aircraft: Beech
Quote:
I can give you a ride in my old C35 in January

Hey! :box: That "old" C35 is a fine example of the best single ever built! :rock:

She won't like you calling her "old"

How 'bout "classic" ?

:tongue:

PMC

Welcome, Mitch. Plenty of good Beech guys in your area. Glad to have you aboard.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2010, 14:44 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +805
Aircraft: SR22
She doesn't have a BT login :tongue:

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2010, 20:37 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1027
Aircraft: 1965 Bonanza S35
Username Protected wrote:
Quote:
I can give you a ride in my old C35 in January

Hey! :box: That "old" C35 is a fine example of the best single ever built! :rock:

She won't like you calling her "old"

How 'bout "classic" ?

:tongue:

PMC

Welcome, Mitch. Plenty of good Beech guys in your area. Glad to have you aboard.

I wuz thinkin more along the lines of "Cougar" :duck: :tape:

+2 on the welcome Mitch.

"TRUTH is AUTHORITY..... Authority is not Truth"

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2010, 20:47 

Post Likes: +65
Aircraft: TBM 850
Mitch,

I have a 1998 TN A36 at POC I would be more than happy to take you for a ride and tell you what I know about my Bonanza ownership. Send me a PM with your phone number.

Steve

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2010, 03:21 

Post Likes: +2
Company: Unmanned Technical Services
Aircraft: A36TC
WOW, guys thanks for fast and warm Welcome.

Great info on this Board. didn't think the ride offers would come so quickly.. Can't take advantage of them until I return stateside in Feb. I should have lots of time here in AFG to do some research til then - provided the Internet is reliable...

Neal - will PM you re. using plane for Biz, and potential tax advantages.

The Baron / C310 prices really make the twins tempting. I'm sure the debate btwn the two could go on forever... The doubled maint and fuel costs almost keep me from looking...almost.

I'll get some stories up if folks are really interested. The C150 I inherited was an incredible experience, after all my MIL experience. I learned alot about flying from that!

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next