Post subject: New Member
PostPosted: 03 Jul 2010, 01:01 

Post Likes: +6
Aircraft: Bonanza M35
Fred DeMetz, Sr.
New Old Guy
Joined 7/2/10
Bonanza 1960 M35
Now based KPOC as Refugee from Hurricane Katrina on Gulf Coast - free oil avail there now - just scoop it up on the beaches.
Just installed new fuel pump and replaced "original 1959/60 fuel bladders". BT really helped. As an Engineer I'm amazed how long the accessories on my Bonanza last. IA said the reason the bladders lasted so long is that I always kept them full after flight. The flap and gear motors failed within 6 months of each other after "40 years"! If the military stuff I design lasts 10 years I get a medal. Has anybody ever published a list of parts (other than engine) and their recommended TBO? IA said "if they last 12 to 15 years, yellow tag 'em."

Look forward to participating in BT.

Post subject: Re: New Member
PostPosted: 03 Jul 2010, 05:16 

Post Likes: +4289
Aircraft: BE 58
Username Protected wrote:
Fred DeMetz, Sr.
New Old Guy
Joined 7/2/10
Bonanza 1960 M35
Now based KPOC as Refugee from Hurricane Katrina on Gulf Coast - free oil avail there now - just scoop it up on the beaches.
Just installed new fuel pump and replaced "original 1959/60 fuel bladders". BT really helped. As an Engineer I'm amazed how long the accessories on my Bonanza last. IA said the reason the bladders lasted so long is that I always kept them full after flight. The flap and gear motors failed within 6 months of each other after "40 years"! If the military stuff I design lasts 10 years I get a medal. Has anybody ever published a list of parts (other than engine) and their recommended TBO? IA said "if they last 12 to 15 years, yellow tag 'em."

Look forward to participating in BT.

Fred,

Welcome abord......

Beech publishes TBOs of parts, and it may be in your POH for some of them.

Of course, you don't have to follow them in a Pt 91 operation.

There's a few that you may want to pay attention to more than others. And think of items that if they failed, would cause you major problems:

Just a few things to think about....
Gear bearings, especially the three in the nose.
Gear motor
Inspections of mags, alternator, plugs, brakes, prop.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2010, 10:34 

Larry,

Thanks for inputs. Most of your suggested watch list items has been replaced except the nose gear bearings, and my service shop suggests we do them next annual. I used to sail regatta's in St. Pete as a kid.......nice place. Funny, but I remember the wheel chair curbs at all the intersections, so it must be a nice place to retire. Hope you missed the free BP oil I got on my childhood home beaches in Pass Christian, MS last week?

I'll check up on that Beech list of parts TBO's.

R, Fred

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2010, 11:30 

Post Likes: +4289
Aircraft: BE 58
Username Protected wrote:
Larry,

Thanks for inputs. Most of your suggested watch list items has been replaced except the nose gear bearings, and my service shop suggests we do them next annual. I used to sail regatta's in St. Pete as a kid.......nice place. Funny, but I remember the wheel chair curbs at all the intersections, so it must be a nice place to retire. Hope you missed the free BP oil I got on my childhood home beaches in Pass Christian, MS last week?

I'll check up on that Beech list of parts TBO's.

R, Fred

Fred,

Change your avitar so we know where you're from.... where are you? We need to know in case we need a beer stop along the way <g>.....

As for the nose bearings, don't wait until annual, just too easy to do now. A good mechanic could knock that out in less than an hour or two... and you could help, especially for the bearing under the gear box. Hard to hold up the nose with your foot and change the bearing.... but I've done that.

No oil here in St. Pete.... yet. And, even though I'm retired here, it's not the retiree place that it used to be. Got too expensive, high taxes, idiot politicians .... etc. If I had to do it over, it would not be here, but it's still pretty nice. If I could put the airport behind my house, I'd be happy. The crowds and the drive to our "overcontrolled TSA airport" make it a pain.

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2010, 14:10 

Larry,
Well,..........we're a ways from you. Our 20 is just north of Ontario Airport about 50 miles NE of Los Angeles at 2000 ft against the San Gabriel Mt. Range. We had retired on the Gulf Coast in Waveland, MS a few years before Katrina hit. The Vtail actually saved us as we didn't leave town until the day before it hit and our home was totaled. Even my hanger 6 miles inland with our 3 cars crammed inside took 8 ft of salt water. On the way to Little Rock with the storm tailwinds I was clocking 210 kts ground speed. I thought for awhile I was a BE-58!

Came out here where we'd raised the kids and my part time consulting clients are, but so much for cheap MS living. My county T-Hanger is $428/month and going up. Shop rates are $81 to 85/hr, so I think I will try that renagade IA on the nose gear bushings, and help him in my hanger.

Cold Beer always in the hanger frig when you get here.
Best,
Fred

PostPosted: 03 Jul 2010, 14:59 

Post Likes: +16
Fred-Welcome!!
Come on--forget about Kalifornia--you bailed out of the gulf with Katrina,
but jumped back into the frying pan!!
Try Tennessee--no income tax, plenty of land, mild weather,
pretty nice houses for less and less--does have 10% sales tax--but if your old like me you don't spend much money buying things--
I spent most of my career in Aerospace in Southern Kalif--but sure don't miss it
since retirement!!!
Pat Byrne G35 Knoxville

PostPosted: 10 Jul 2010, 13:04 

Pat,
Thanks for recommendation on Tenn. It sure sounds nice for an old country boy like me, but wife wanted to be near the kids and grandkids. I rationalize CA flying is diverse with mountails, ocean, deserts close by, and lots of places for the $100 hamburger.

If I had my druthers I'd probably go to Idaho backcountry N. of Boise. I'll be there at Johnson Creek for the Yellow Pine Harmonica Festival on Aug 6-8....come on over and see what I mean. Bonanza's do great on grass as long as you have a few thousand feet of runway for the high density altitudes, and have some mountain flying instruction.
Best,
Vtail Fred
N9856R

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ]