29 Mar 2024, 03:52 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Maule owner interested in a Bonanza
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2010, 14:45 

Post Likes: +27
Aircraft: N35
Hello all! I just found the BeechTalk this morning. Lots of great info and a very friendly group! I own a 1974 Maule M5-210C. I bought it as a basket case about 7 years ago, and after 2 job changes and a couple of moves, finished the restoration last spring. I enjoy the Maule, but to be honest, my heart has always wanted a Bonanza. I think it's purely an aesthetic, emotional desire - but I just can't seem to get past it. I've never even flown one, although I did my primary flight training in Navy T-34Cs.

I flew the Maule to Oshkosh last year and talked to several B2Osh folks. Also joined ABS. I've pretty much decided I'd like something in the J35 to P35 range for pricing, and also to get the IO-470 instead of the E series stuff. I had someone look at my Maule last week, but I haven't pulled the trigger and officially listed it for sale yet. I put lots of sweat equity into that airplane. My main fears regarding Bonanza ownership are financial. The Maule is just such a simple plane, and now that it's restored, ownership cost is very affordable. I look forward to reading more in the forums regarding ownership costs, potential pitfalls, etc. I'd love any and all advice that's out there.

Thanks a bunch.
-Brian

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

Post subject: Re: Maule owner interested in a Bonanza
PostPosted: 13 Apr 2010, 21:01 

Post Likes: +95
Company: FlyMo Arborists
Aircraft: C172M
Hi Brian,

Welcome to the forums.

That sure is a nice Maule. I have a soft spot for those airplanes but don't know much about them. Are your wings skinned in aluminum? I was under the impression that Maules are all tube and cloth.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2010, 21:03 

Post Likes: +1250
Username Protected wrote:
...my heart has always wanted a Bonanza. I think it's purely an aesthetic, emotional desire...

You obviously have excellent taste! :thumbup:

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2010, 21:29 

Thanks for the compliment Ed. All the Maules I know of (starting with late '60s model M4's) have tube and fabric fuselages and tail feathers, but fully aluminum wings. They're great do-all airplanes, just not real fast. I burn 10-11 gph to get a cruise of 115-120 knots. Mine's the 210 version with a Continental IO-360. If I keep it I"m considering getting GAMIs, (I already have an EDM-700), so that may help with the fuel burn.

PostPosted: 13 Apr 2010, 22:08 

Post Likes: +8412
Aircraft: Ex PA22, P28R, V35B
Welcome, Brian - that's a beautiful Maule.

If you're not sure which model Bonanza you want, get a copy of Larry Ball's book, "Those Incomparable Bonanzas". He provides a year by year description of model changes up to around 1972.

However, one of the interesting things about having an airplane in continuous production for so many years is that many older models have been upgraded so it's hard to tell them apart from newer ones.

PostPosted: 16 Sep 2010, 19:20 

WWW  Profile

Company: Cable Publishing
Hello all! I just found the BeechTalk this morning. Lots of great info and a very friendly group! I own a 1974 Maule M5-210C. I bought it as a basket case about 7 years ago, and after 2 job changes and a couple of moves, finished the restoration last spring. I enjoy the Maule, but to be honest, my heart has always wanted a Bonanza. I think it's purely an aesthetic, emotional desire - but I just can't seem to get past it. I've never even flown one, although I did my primary flight training in Navy T-34Cs.

I flew the Maule to Oshkosh last year and talked to several B2Osh folks. Also joined ABS. I've pretty much decided I'd like something in the J35 to P35 range for pricing, and also to get the IO-470 instead of the E series stuff. I had someone look at my Maule last week, but I haven't pulled the trigger and officially listed it for sale yet. I put lots of sweat equity into that airplane. My main fears regarding Bonanza ownership are financial. The Maule is just such a simple plane, and now that it's restored, ownership cost is very affordable. I look forward to reading more in the forums regarding ownership costs, potential pitfalls, etc. I'd love any and all advice that's out there.

Thanks a bunch.
-Brian

Hi Brian! I have a friend living near Daytona Beach, FL who has owned a Maule for over 20 years and loves it. He even had it dismantled and shipped to South Africa when he was relocated there for three years.
I am the publisher of THOSE INCOMPARABLE BONANZAS and THEY CALLED ME MR. BONANZA. Both books have great overviews of the various models. Check out my website, www.cablepublishing.com if you're interested, and nice meeting you!

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2011, 20:02 

Post Likes: +4
Aircraft: 1985 F33A
Hello Brian--

I'm a new guy here as well, and just discovered your post--wanting to move from a Maule to a Bonanza---And I'm in the same exact boat! So had to ask where you are in the process.

I've got a M7-235C that I've owned for about 5 years and like you, I love the plane, but am thinking before life is up I really want to own a Bonanza.

Any news on your pursuit?

Temple

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2011, 21:10 

Hi Temple. I sold the Maule back in the spring and bought an N35 in late summer. I love the airplane! Unfortunately, I'm finishing up an overhaul right now a couple years earlier than I planned. The motor had 1200 smoh, but about a month after I got it I found a crack in the crankcase while chasing a small oil leak.

The Bonanza has some sweet ramp appeal, and it's a much quieter and more comfortable ride than the Maule was (especially for my kids in the backseat.) I'm burning about 2 1/2 gal more an hour, but going 35-40 kts faster. (I had the Continental IO-360 and got about 115 kts in the Maule). I do miss the short field capability and the patroller doors some. My wife also says the Bonanza is a little hotter. More windows, no overhead wing, not as much ventilation. With 20 deg of flaps, the Bonanza does get off the ground faster than I thought it would. I live on a 3300 ft grass strip. Before the overhaul I was gradually working up my comfort level for takeoff weights on hot summer days. It handled 2900 lbs with no problem. My max gross is 3125.

Maule parts were less expensive, but the build quality on the Bonanza is far and above better than the Maule. I guess it's kinda like comparing a pickup truck to a bmw. The truck is very useful, but the bmw is classy and comfortable. I don't have any regrets other than wishing I could afford both at the same time! If you get some flight time in a Bonanza I'm sure you'll be hooked! Good luck!

-Brian

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2011, 21:29 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +8873
Company: Schulte Booth, P.C.
Aircraft: 1958 Bonanza 35
Brian -

Welcome indeed!

I have a J-35 that my wife and I restored/modified from spinner to v-tail.

Feel free to send me a PM and I will send you my contact details and I would be happy to share with you what I know (which, depending on the day can be a great deal or very little).

Either way, this is a terrific group and, save for yours truly, you will be the smarter for having communicated with it/them.

Beautiful Maule, by the way.

Best,

Robert D. Schulte
http://www.schultebooth.com

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2011, 16:14 

Hey Brian----that's exactly the report I was hoping to get from you--
I'm not 100% convinced that I'll trade airplanes, but I am probably getting into the "danger zone"...
I rode in a friends M model Bonanza a couple of weeks ago and as I watched how easily it clicked off 150 Knots +, I knew I could get in trouble...three of us on board and loafing along into a bit of a head wind...
The Maule is a fun airplane and exploring the grass strip world is a hoot--
Glad to have your reply and good luck with the Bonanza

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2011, 16:37 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +9520
Aircraft: 1964 Bonanza S35
The Maule is a fun airplane and exploring the grass strip world is a hoot--

You don't have to give up flying off road. I certainly didn't. It's just a different set of compromises.

tinyurl.com/35som8p

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2011, 17:47 

Scott--
I took advantage of the link in your post, and what incredible pictures!

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2011, 18:49 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +9520
Aircraft: 1964 Bonanza S35
Then we'll see you up here this summer.

tinyurl.com/35som8p

PostPosted: 17 Jan 2011, 20:58 

Post Likes: +1404
Aircraft: A36
My first airplane was a Grumman Tiger, then I had a Maule before moving to an A36 Bonanza about two years agao. For me the MAule was a mistake. I never got used to the lower cruise speed, but it gave a great view which could be studied at much slower speeds than would be safe in other airplanes.

In the Maule, a long summer trip meant afternoon turbulence given I find it difficult to get up really early. With its low wing-loading the Maule was knocked around like a leaf in turbulence. The Bonanza is fast enough that you can leave at a reasonable time and be on the ground before the thermals develop. The high wing-loading makes them turbulence less troublesome anyway.

The Bonanza is a much more complex airplane, and thus costs more to maintain. I have yet to buy a Beech part. They're said to be expensive, but as you know, we mostly buy engine and ancillary equipment rather than airplane parts. It handles grass as well as the Maule - but it needs more of the stuff.

Ashley

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]