banner

25 Apr 2024, 01:49 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: New From Arizona
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2010, 21:11 

Aircraft: Cessna T182T
Good evening. I currently own a 2006 Cessna T182T. I am considering a move up to either a new G36 or a new Cessna 400. I hope to gain insight into the G36 from this forum. So far I am very impressed with the G36.
I will have many questions and look for comments. Tomorrow I will, for the first time, test fly a new G36. I previously flew a new 400 from Phoenix to Cal. Very, very fast and quiet. However, there is no option to increase the useful load.

Post subject: Re: New From Arizona
PostPosted: 29 Mar 2010, 22:06 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1027
Aircraft: 1965 Bonanza S35
Welcome John.

There are several folks here that are G36 drivers, I have the distinct honor of knowing 2 of them personally and at least one of them just here on BT. I'm sure you will find their assistance and or insight invaluable.

:cheers:

"TRUTH is AUTHORITY..... Authority is not Truth"

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2010, 22:15 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +805
Aircraft: SR22
I hope you post your impressions shortly after that flight.

I suspect the post will have a lot of :bugeye: and :eek: not to mention :drool: and :woot:

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2010, 22:21 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +519
Company: Latitude Aviation
Aircraft: 2007 Bonanza G36
John,

I manage and operate a G36 for a guy here in the NYC area. Where are you located? In my view a G36 with the TAT conversion and Osborne tip tanks is an incredible value. Are you looking at brand new or slightly used?

-Neal

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2010, 08:30 

Post Likes: +99
John,

I had an '07 T182T prior to my G36, I flew the C400, and followed up with the G36 demo. I can imagine what your impressions are at the moment. I remember it well.

I will say that I really liked the C400, but for many reasons I bought the Beech. Because of my prior relationships, the Cessna would have been more convenient to buy and preform warranty service, so that meant the Beech had to be the choice by an extra margin.

The C400 is a bit of a ground runner. It you are only flying 500 NM legs from 3500' + paved strips to similar fields by yourself or with one passenger, the C400 deos it very well. If you want something highly versitle, the G36 is the answer. I love the extra space between the front and rear cabin for flight bags, life jackets, and anything misc. you need for a particular flight. You can't do that with a C400 with passengers in the back seat. When my Wife flew in the G36, she was sold (she preferred the 400 before the G36 flight). The Beech has a corporate iron feel with it's quality interior, instead of a C400 sport plane look. The G36 rear cabin is way better and the entry is a pleasure.

I recently posted (under singles) a Cutter video of their last stock G36, and it shows many features of the Beech build quality. I thought I knew something about Beech before my flight, but I had a similar pre-flight that day and I was extremely surprised about what I didn't know. The build quality is impressive and comforting. With the Beech, you actually can feel the quality. With the C400, you have to take their word for it! They tell you it's hidden under all that composite stuff.

Having the Beech's easy access to inspect the entire motor before every single flight is a major safety factor. One latch to open on the G36 and you're in. Ask how you get the C400 cowling off? The demo guy may not know, but if he does, he'll know he's dead! Unbelievable....It has a 30" X 1/8" rod that you put in a electric drill and snake it while another guy puts down pressure on the cowling!!!! Boy, that's a real easy deal. About every tenth time, the rod slips loose and you get to repaint the cowling!

The same day I flew the G36, there was a C400 coincidently next to the Beech on the ramp. That's where Beech quality really shined. Frankly, the C400 looked like a toy and it bounced around in the wind sitting at the FBO! Nice airplane, but 600 grand?? The Beech sat steady as a rock. I never overcame the memories from that afternoon. When I added the safety of a retractable during off-airport emergency landing, the decision became pretty easy.

You can't compare the TCM's turbo with the build of the Tornado Alley system. Add the GAMI setup and you are way ahead for the long term success of the motor. I noticed all the TCM stock turbos were getting cylinder changes at 700 hours or less on the Columbia 400s. That soured me. I don't want to go into a brand new purchase knowing that somebody has to replace major components of the motor fairly early in it's life. I know it's been done often and successfully (for about $12,000), but why open yourself up to the possibility of a maintenance induced error? I think you'll find some very sucessful stories with the TAT system, many making it all the way to TBO.

I'd never blame anyone for buying a C400 but, if you think like I do, you'll be glad you bought a Beech and you'll never look back!

Rick

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2010, 23:33 

Thanks for the comments.
I did fly a new loaded G36 yesterday afternoon from KDVT. We were up for about an hour. It was windy with light turbulence. The aircraft was great. It was very stable and quiet. I could see and feel the quality. It did not take me long to feel comfortable. I was very impressed. Now I have to make a decision. Part of the process is the disposition of my 2006 T182T. The only thing I have going for my Cessna is the low hours (210) and active traffic. I will keep you posted on what happens.
Thanks again for your comments and advice. I have a suspicion I will be on this site for many years.
:)

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2010, 23:37 

Post Likes: +193
Aircraft: Bonanza A36
Username Protected wrote:
Thanks for the comments.
I did fly a new loaded G36 yesterday afternoon from KDVT. We were up for about an hour. It was windy with light turbulence. The aircraft was great. It was very stable and quiet. I could see and feel the quality. It did not take me long to feel comfortable. I was very impressed. Now I have to make a decision. Part of the process is the disposition of my 2006 T182T. The only thing I have going for my Cessna is the low hours (210) and active traffic. I will keep you posted on what happens.
Thanks again for your comments and advice. I have a suspicion I will be on this site for many years.

Welcome John. I found the site about a year ago and it helped inspire me to get my PPL last year. I figured if people in flying were as great as the people on this site, I had to stop talking about it and start doing it. You will not be disappointed with the knowledge and welcoming attitudes here. :cheers:

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2010, 01:52 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +519
Company: Latitude Aviation
Aircraft: 2007 Bonanza G36
Username Protected wrote:
Thanks for the comments.

John, did you fly with Kelly Harper?

-Neal

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2010, 22:06 

Yes. I flew with Kelly.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2010, 23:02 

Post Likes: +973
Company: SkewTLogPro
Aircraft: 1984 Bonanza A36TN
John, last year I was in your shoes and narrowed it down to the Cessna 400, Cirrus TN22 and the A36. While I did not consider the G36 at the time, I think you are heading down the right path. I'm a numbers guy and the decision was clear, the 36 is the best bang for the buck in terms of how fast you can get there and how much you can carry. The Columbia 400 is one heck of an airplane and it will get you there fast, but it won't haul much more than you can fit in a sportscar. The 36 is a traveling machine that, with Tornado Alley turbonormalization and tip tanks, will get you there just as fast with as much stuff as you can fit into full size car along with some extra fuel. Someone here recently called it "commercial grade" and I don't think there was ever a more accurate description of the 36. That quality is reflected in high dispatch rates, which I found through talking with several owners is not always the case with the plastic planes.

Welcome to the group.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2010, 23:22 

Thank you.
John

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]