banner

28 Mar 2024, 06:58 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: New to Beechcraft Family
PostPosted: 04 Dec 2022, 15:05 

Post Likes: +5
Hello! Happy to be joining this group of knowledgeable operators.

My wife and I currently reside in Chattanooga, TN. My flying career started in a Navy Beechcraft T-34C, then flew helicopters for 10 years. I got out of the Navy in 2021, flew a Travel Air for a short time while getting my ATP and am now a training captain on a CJ3 with a large Part 135 operator.

I’m currently in the research phases for a 58P. The plane will be for personal use. I’ve read the various threads on pros/cons of the aircraft and spoken with a handful of members about their experiences. Looking forward to learning more and hope to find the right airplane in the coming months.

Best regards,
Tres

Post subject: Re: New to Beechcraft Family
PostPosted: 04 Dec 2022, 15:14 

Post Likes: +439
Aircraft: Bonanza 36
Welcome Tres - suggest looking at a Duke as well.

Ken

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2022, 15:25 

Post Likes: +1954
Hi Tres, welcome to BT! :thumbup:

PostPosted: 05 Dec 2022, 00:08 

Post Likes: +115
Aircraft: 84 B58P, 78 T Arrow
welcome!

I just went through the acquisition process for my 58P (took delivery in May). It's a great machine, no regrets AT ALL, although I'm still learning. It's a SOLID IFR machine that'll handle anything in reason- a "Go (almost) Anywhere" plane.

A few things I learned along the way:

1) Get your insurance situation figured out FIRST. Make sure you know what your insurer will require of you in initial and recurrent training. Some insurers won't touch anything pressurized at all, some require high numbers of hours in type, etc. I had more trouble than you likely will since I was a zero time ME pilot, but still, a good idea to make sure you can get coverage that you need.

2) There are a lot of 58P's that look like a bargain, but the devil is in the details, look carefully. Likewise there are some well cared for machines out there that (to me at least) seem overpriced. From what I've come across, the most bang for your buck are the 79-83 years, unless (like me) you want the updated panel layout from '84-'85, which seems to add about $100k to the price tag. Your money, your choice there.

3) this is a great place to get information about them. There are a lot of people very knowledgeable on here that I've drawn from so far in my learning process. Good luck.

PostPosted: 06 Dec 2022, 10:44 

Post Likes: +5
Username Protected wrote:
welcome!

I just went through the acquisition process for my 58P (took delivery in May). It's a great machine, no regrets AT ALL, although I'm still learning. It's a SOLID IFR machine that'll handle anything in reason- a "Go (almost) Anywhere" plane.

A few things I learned along the way:

1) Get your insurance situation figured out FIRST. Make sure you know what your insurer will require of you in initial and recurrent training. Some insurers won't touch anything pressurized at all, some require high numbers of hours in type, etc. I had more trouble than you likely will since I was a zero time ME pilot, but still, a good idea to make sure you can get coverage that you need.

2) There are a lot of 58P's that look like a bargain, but the devil is in the details, look carefully. Likewise there are some well cared for machines out there that (to me at least) seem overpriced. From what I've come across, the most bang for your buck are the 79-83 years, unless (like me) you want the updated panel layout from '84-'85, which seems to add about $100k to the price tag. Your money, your choice there.

3) this is a great place to get information about them. There are a lot of people very knowledgeable on here that I've drawn from so far in my learning process. Good luck.

Keith, thank you! I’ve talked to some folks and hear again and again the importance of working with people who know the airplane’s intricacies. Any recommendations no who to talk to with regards to insurance?

You in Northern Alabama? Where abouts? I’m in Chattanooga, TN so not too far away.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2022, 01:33 

Post Likes: +673
Aircraft: B60 Duke
Tres,
Welcome aboard!
I highly recommend talking to Don Lawrenz if you are looking for a P Baron. I used him to help with mine. Very few surprises along the way in my ownership after his thorough pre-buy. Never even opened the cowling and he knew one engine was likely not timed properly! It wasn’t!
Loved my P Baron.

That said, I just moved into a Duke for various reasons. PM me if you want to talk.

…”it don’t take long to get there if you’re High and Pressurized…”

https://youtu.be/zsN68VG6Z_Q

:cheers:

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2022, 01:57 

Post Likes: +115
Aircraft: 84 B58P, 78 T Arrow
Username Protected wrote:

Keith, thank you! I’ve talked to some folks and hear again and again the importance of working with people who know the airplane’s intricacies. Any recommendations no who to talk to with regards to insurance?

You in Northern Alabama? Where abouts? I’m in Chattanooga, TN so not too far away.

I used Wendy at Falcon Insurance. She was extremely helpful in finding a way through the minefield the underwriters set out for me to navigate. Again, I expect you'll have an easier time of it than I did, but the biggest sticking point was in who they'd approve for the transition training. That will be underwriter dependent and I was limited in by the fact I had no ME time, much less any time in type.

Yes, I'm about halfway between ATL and BHM, and I go visit my parents in SE TN often, which reminds me.. the 58P is great at a lot of things, but short fields isn't one of them. Plan for that too.

PostPosted: 08 Dec 2022, 07:24 

Post Likes: +2936
Company: Dermatology
Aircraft: 1969 Bonanza V35A
Hey Tres,

I’m in Chattanooga as well give me call I’ll buy you a beer. Jay 423 5o4 5999

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2022, 21:39 

Aircraft: BE-60 Duke B60
I just joined the Beech family and have a Duke B60 1978 vintage.... it's a low time super ride and it just fills me with joy each time taking to the air ....Based in Camarillo California I'm getting used to my "Daisy Duke" as I affectionately call her and am pleased to be a part of this family ...
I'm a Flight Instructor teaching all types of Aircraft including Rotary wing single and multi engine so CFII MEI..... Commercial pilot with 20K hours over many years of flying and teaching .....
Anyone who might need instruction or checkouts or flight reviews/IPC in the amazing Duke will be welcome to maybe get me involved....
I recently received my Captains stripes from a Beech instructor and got a full weeks training on the Airplane both flying and systems ....
Hope to keep in touch with any crazy people like me living the dream every day as best I can.... happy trails... John Mowatt.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2022, 21:55 

I just joined the Beech family and have a Duke B60 1978 vintage.... it's a low time super ride and it just fills me with joy each time taking to the air ....Based in Camarillo California I'm getting used to my "Daisy Duke" as I affectionately call her and am pleased to be a part of this family ...
I'm a Flight Instructor teaching all types of Aircraft including Rotary wing single and multi engine so CFII MEI..... Commercial pilot with 20K hours over many years of flying and teaching .....
Anyone who might need instruction or checkouts or flight reviews/IPC in the amazing Duke will be welcome to maybe get me involved....
I recently received my Captains stripes from a Beech instructor and got a full weeks training on the Airplane both flying and systems ....
Hope to keep in touch with any crazy people like me living the dream every day as best I can.... happy trails... John Mowatt.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2022, 21:55 

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 09 Dec 2022, 21:57 

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ]