Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Back to a Beechcraft
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2022, 12:24 

Post Likes: +4
Aircraft: Beech 35c33
Hi gang,

Age 65 has clipped my wings on the heavy metal. But I intend to continue flying and what better way than doing it on one's own aircraft.
Have logged some 120 hours in a Beech A36 (30-something years ago...) and today I look to reaffirm my love for the Beechcraft. I have found a nice Debonair 35c33.
I'm planning on a pre-buy inspection but came across this forum on my quest for more info about the aircraft.
So, any info on important issues to look for in this beauty, is welcome.
Thanks,

Bart

Post subject: Re: Back to a Beechcraft
PostPosted: 07 Sep 2022, 14:47 

Post Likes: +2928
Aircraft: 1991 Baron 58
Welcome! The 33 series is the best flying of the bunch (Yes there will be people who disagree). If you have not found ABS and the BPPP training now would be a good time to google it. The guides are very useful for the training and understanding the systems. Reading Eckalbar, Flying the Beech Bonanza is the other essential guide as well as the POH.

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2022, 17:11 

Post Likes: +2734
Company: IBG\Altapraem M&A Advisors
Aircraft: SR22-G2 GTS
You might also say the plane’s location for pireps on who to use for your prebuy if not already committed.

Congrats on joining the owner ranks!

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2022, 20:11 

Post Likes: +1954
Hi Bart, welcome to BT, how the plane works out for you. If not, there will be another.... :thumbup:

PostPosted: 07 Sep 2022, 23:17 

Post Likes: +14
Aircraft: Debonair 35-C33
I have a 35-C33 and have really enjoyed the ride. These planes originally came with a Continental IO470K engine with relatively inefficient baffles which leads to high CHTs particularly on climbs. Dshannon baffles have helped this a lot. Many have been upgraded to IO470N or IO520 or IO550 engines each giving another step up in horsepower. GAMIjectors are advised. Besides avionics, other upgrades to look for are speedslope windshield and thicker side windows to reduce cabin noise. 4 point shoulder harnesses are a nice addition as well as Rosen visors. The floorboards are thin plywood that may need replaced or repaired. There are several ADs of significance for the airframe that you will want to know the status of including rudder spar and right aileron cable. Check the bottom of the battery box for corrosion from acid. Check the whole airframe for corrosion

Feel free to PM me to talk further. I bought mine just over 2 years ago and have been upgrading it ever since.

PostPosted: 08 Sep 2022, 22:18 

Post Likes: +10534
Aircraft: 1970 Baron B55
There are several Bonanza inspection "experts" around the country and beyond rejecting obvious undesirable airplanes you'll want to engage one of them for a pre-buy / annual inspection once you find what looks like an airplane in reasonably good shape.

Some things to look for on your own include:

Filoform corrosion of magnesium elevator and aileron skins. Later version came with aluminum ailerons and aluminum replacement skins are available at a "reasonable" cost.

Wing bolt corrosion. Beech says to replace these periodically but aside from mandated Part 135 applications (if any) pretty much no one does that in the USA (IIRC there's no avoiding this in some other countries). A common issue is plugged drainage holes in the "bathtub" fittings that the bolt heads sit in at the inboard edge of each wing.

Fuel bladder deterioration. The material originally used can deteriorate over time, especially if the airplane spends much time sitting outside in the sun with less than full tanks. Some will tell you that it's important to keep the tanks full in order to prevent the bladders from drying out but IME the real issue is what happens when the top of the wing gets hot sitting in the sun for long periods with on fuel inside to moderate the temperature of the bladder's top surface. Look for blue fuel stains on the underside of the wings and inside the main wheel wells. Make sure the tanks are completely filled when looking for leaks as it's usually the top of the bladders that leaks. Note that dried gaskets on the fuel level senders can also cause the same symptoms and that's a fairly cheap fix.

Speaking of fuel senders, it's common to find that the senders have "dead spots" where the fuel gauges read very inaccurately. The best fix for that IMO is to replace them (there are four) with CEIS magnetic senders which have a much more accurate and robust design. That will cost $2000-3000.

The landing gear is pretty robust but getting a long service life from the transmission requires that the limit switches be set to prevent the motor from driving the sector gear inside the transmission into the end of it's mechanical limits. The check for this is to verify that the manual extension crank handle can be rotated towards each limit either 1/4 (90°) or 1/8 (45°) of one revolution. If this is done on jacks it's important that the system be powered by a ground power supply capable of maintaining 14 or 28 volts while the gear is running. This can also be checked in the air but no matter how you check it's imperative that the gear MOTOR breaker be pulled before touching or engaging the manual crank. If you don't, the motor can start running as soon as you rotate the handle and it's capable of breaking your wrist if it does that.

Also make certain that the handle is properly stowed and covered when you're done as that crank spins really fast when the motor is running and if it catches on something bad/expensive stuff happens.

If the plane has a recording engine monitor I'd want to see the data for several flights to see how the engine was being operated. Mike Busch (Savvy Aviation) can advise on that and posting the data here on BT will generate some valid opinions as well. If it doesn't have a good multicylinder monitor consider adding one when you get the airplane.

GAMI in Ada sells a replacement set of injectors that do a much better job of balancing the mixtures in all cylinders, an airplane with those already installed is a plus but they're not terribly expensive.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ]