28 Mar 2024, 07:59 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Oil on the belly
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2022, 13:09 

Aircraft: Rv6a gone
Hi

I'm a happy new beech S35 owner. I need some help finding an oil leak. So far I ran a compression test finding that my lowest number was 65 and some slight leak from the rings. Engine was cold while doing the test. This was on only one of the cylinder. The oil is at 47 hrs and it's a nice normal brownish color, not black at all. I found the quick oil drain wasn't seated properly and seems good now. I would like to know if there is a oil system diagram anywhere to look at. My plane has been modified as well. Engine is a top induction io550R. There are many drain tubes sticking out of the fuselage that I don't know what those are for. Would appreciate if anyone could explain to me what those are for. Is there any systems flowing engine oil pass the firewall. Right now the breather tube isn't totally dry inside but I cleaned the plane before the last flight and no oil around the breather tube/cowl flaps, just further down the belly. The front the the fuselage stayed clean. There are a few holes in the belly skin and oil seeps out of those. My last flight was 2 hrs and 10 mins. Had 8 quarts leaving and now showing 7 quarts. Prior to that I went through a quart in 3 hours. Still within service limits but worth investigating. I sold my RV6 prior to get the S35. I had oil coming out pas the firewall from a previous spill. I would rarely add a quart. I don't think its worth getting the carpet out and clean between the floor and belly skins until I know what's going on. A shop serviced my gear last week and said I need a top overhaul. I doubt that this is the problem. They said I had blow-by. If blow-by was this bad, the oil would be black. I can get a nanometer and get the device hooked up to the oil filler cap to make sure but again there was no oil was found nearby the breather tube from the last flight, just further down the belly which gets me thinking that there is something leaking elsewhere. But where...

Regards

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

Post subject: Re: Oil on the belly
PostPosted: 29 Aug 2022, 14:30 

Post Likes: +2928
Aircraft: 1991 Baron 58
A few thoughts. Belly does not look too bad, no major leak showing. There is an oil breather line, typically on the left side but not sure about the 550R which always creates a little mess. A drop really spreads on the belly. Older oil seems to go faster. Also you sometimes need to wait a few days between flights to see max oil back on the dipstick.

I would clean up as much as possible, change the oil and then watch consumption. Some engines tend to spit out oil, typically I never had my 550 much above 10.5 quarts for that reason.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2022, 15:08 

Post Likes: +578
Aircraft: 1983 Bonanza A36TN
It takes surprisingly little leaking oil to make a mess out of the belly too. I wouldn’t go through a quart in 25hrs and the belly of my A36 would still be a mess pretty much constantly. The little scoop out of the TAT crossover induction tube for the AC pulley constantly had about a tsp or two of oil in it at all times too.

My A&P fixed 4 or 5 different, tiny leaks while tidying things up after I had the #3 jug overhauled last month and 14 hours of flying later the crossover tube is still dry. Probably time to give the belly a good cleaning again and see how it holds up.

100% agree on the no more than 10.5qts thing.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2022, 15:29 

Post Likes: +5182
Aircraft: V35A TC
You'll notice a few drain holes across that seam....to allow the inside of the cabin floor to drain. That oil is coming from inside the cabin. Possibly traveling in thru the nose gear rods and dripping on the interior floor....then out the drain holes. But, there could also be a fuel leak that is dissolving the tar like noise coating inside on the floor. :scratch:

But....what you are seeing is "normal" they all leak oil.

Please login or Register for a free account via the link in the red bar above to download files.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2022, 17:43 

Post Likes: +2500
Company: Gee Bee Aeroproducts
Aircraft: hang glider
There is no engine breather tube

There is a air oil separator on the airframe, the scat is coming from the bottom of it .

Is it high time ?

Do you want to change back to the two correct breather tubes ?

The copilot side side tubes:

3/4 is bleed air
1.50 is battery drain tube that secures the drain hose
I stock these in polished stainless steel as we know the condition of yours

If your running all electric or a dry pump , the sep can is not needed .

If your running a G455 wet vac pump then a sep can is required

GB

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ]