banner

28 Mar 2024, 13:51 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: New Member from Maryland
PostPosted: 14 May 2021, 18:11 

Post Likes: +24
Hello all and thank you for the acceptance.

My name is Jim. I am 60yo from Maryland.

I am a new pilot, not yet with my PPL but going for my check ride next week or the week after.

I will then transition to get my IFR.

My oldest son (22) has his PPL and my youngest (19) will get his very soon as well. He had to take a break due to the Spring Semester. They also will transition to get their IFR asap.

We all decided to take up flying as a hobby to do together. Early on with them, I wanted something we could all share together. So we took up roller coasters, scuba and golf. Now its flying.

We all love to fly and my youngest is heading to CA to play baseball this summer and the oldest and I are going to fly around the country for 3-4 weeks and will stop by to see the youngest. We plan on Memphis, New Orleans, Houston, Vegas, El Paso, Palm Springs, LA. Then back.

So we have been looking for planes. A few friends have Cessnas and Pipers but they do not have the payload we would need if we all flew together. So I started to look at Bonanzas. I was a bit hesitant due to it being a complex and HP plane and we are new pilots. I didnt want to buy a "too" powerful plane and yet at the same time, I didnt want to keep "buying up" every few years. But after reading some threads, it seems like there are many new pilots that have bought a Bonanza as their first. So it may be a great fit.

I have looked at a few in person and online. I would rather pay a bit more now and have the
plane not need many upgrades than to keep putting $$ into a plane. or upgrading to a newer one. But with that comes many questions.

I will be reading this forum extensively and posting many questions.

Thanks in advance for putting up with my lack of knowledge but I hope to get up to speed very quickly.

Jim

Post subject: Re: New Member from Maryland
PostPosted: 14 May 2021, 21:09 

Post Likes: +1954
Hi Jim, glad to meet you. Please keep us posted as to how things go! :thumbup:

PostPosted: 14 May 2021, 22:04 

Post Likes: +5183
Aircraft: V35A TC
Hey Jim. Welcome.

PostPosted: 14 May 2021, 23:08 

Post Likes: +3817
Aircraft: Club Archer
Username Protected wrote:
My name is Jim. I am 60yo from Maryland.

Welcome! Where are you flying out of in MD? The hilly or flat part (aka, the surf or the turf part) ? :pilot:

PostPosted: 22 May 2021, 07:16 

John, Rick and Allen,

Thank you for the welcome.

So much to read and so much to learn. I feel like I am studying for the written test again with so many planes with so many different features. Its tough to compare apples to apples at times. But the consensus seems to be to buy a plane that has what you want in it so you do not have to put much into a newly purchased plane.

But the family is wanting to buy our last plane first, or as best we can. I have been browsing the internet for a nice plane. So if you all have any leads, please let me know.

Allen, I fly out of KGAI for now.

Thanks again,

Jim

PostPosted: 22 May 2021, 10:25 

Post Likes: +784
Aircraft: Mooney 201
John, Rick and Allen,

So much to read and so much to learn. I feel like I am studying for the written test again with so many planes with so many different features. Its tough to compare apples to apples at times. But the consensus seems to be to buy a plane that has what you want in it so you do not have to put much into a newly purchased plane.

But the family is wanting to buy our last plane first, or as best we can. I have been browsing the internet for a nice plane. So if you all have any leads, please let me know.

Thanks again,

Jim

Good luck with the airplane buying adventure! We're at GAI too (though we have a Mooney 201... I kind of lust after a de-iced turbo A36...)

PostPosted: 22 May 2021, 11:42 

Post Likes: +3817
Aircraft: Club Archer
John, Rick and Allen,

Thanks again,

Jim

Good luck with the airplane buying adventure! We're at GAI too (though we have a Mooney 201... I kind of lust after a de-iced turbo A36...)

Yep, I fly out of GAI with TSS some as well. Once the restaurant is open again we'll have to lunch.

PostPosted: 22 May 2021, 20:27 

Thanks John and Becca,, would be nice to have lunch and meet you folks.

Jim

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]