banner

28 Mar 2024, 08:40 [ UTC - 5; DST ]

Concorde Battery (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Hi all Im new, looking for a tool if anyone can help
PostPosted: 22 Mar 2021, 15:34 

Aircraft: none atm
Hello all my name is Adam I am an instructor and we happen to have a Bonanza in our school and I am simply here to find out more about the Bonanza and hopefully ask questions about things like tools for my students to use.

We recently got the Bonanza and are still getting everything for the students to do student work and learn the proper ways to perform checks such as travel checks. Now I know that we need a special travel board for the Ruddervators. From what I can gather based on the IPC for the aircraft we need tool number 35-660040, since our Bonanza serial number lies in D-1 through D-2680.

We know that there is a rental tool available online from Ryan Machine, LLC but we need a permanent tool that can be available for extended use. Would anyone be kind enough on here to provide a list of vendors we can get with that would be able to sell us the travel board we need?

Please and thank you again for having me take part in your world of general aviation.

P.S. I know from this link here that someone was making these boards a while back but we are still interested in trying to acquire one. https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 4Tzsr_dHAZ

Post subject: Re: Hi all Im new, looking for a tool if anyone can help
PostPosted: 22 Mar 2021, 15:50 

Post Likes: +6751
Aircraft: V35B
First off Adam, welcome to BT.

One of the Bonanza specific A&Ps here should know, and hopefully will reply soon. If not, click on Members at the top of the page, then search for Del Lehmann. He's one of many here who will steer you in the right direction, but he's the first to come to mind.

From his profile, you can click the message icon, and send him a PM(Private Message)

Last edited on 22 Mar 2021, 15:51, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2021, 15:51 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +1131
Aircraft: G35 "Chip"
Your school has a Bonanza? Have someone in your organization join American Bonanza Society. That will give you access to the best Bonanza technicians in the Country, and they will have the answers you need.

Then your students can go to work for some of these wonderful shops in the future. Good luck!

https://www.bonanza.org/

PostPosted: 22 Mar 2021, 16:14 

Thanks for the advice, I went ahead and registered to that site and sent a message to Del Lehmann. Hopefully I can get that tool soon!

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2021, 08:17 

Post Likes: +16330
Company: Mountain Airframe LLC
You’ll need more than just the rigging board to check ruddervator system rigging. Once your Bonanza is properly rigged, it doesn’t become unrigged until major system maintenance or disassembly is performed.

The problem with buying these tools out in the wild is you don’t know for certain you’ll get what you need for your serial number, unless you have the proper tooling to compare. A lot of these tools have been fabricated in the field and may not be properly identified.

You may be able to purchase all of the ruddervator system rigging tools from Textron. They’ll likely be made to order and cost several thousand dollars. For maintaining one or a few of your own aircraft, I would join ABS and rent.

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2021, 16:31 

Username Protected wrote:
You’ll need more than just the rigging board to check ruddervator system rigging. Once your Bonanza is properly rigged, it doesn’t become unrigged until major system maintenance or disassembly is performed.

The problem with buying these tools out in the wild is you don’t know for certain you’ll get what you need for your serial number, unless you have the proper tooling to compare. A lot of these tools have been fabricated in the field and may not be properly identified.

You may be able to purchase all of the ruddervator system rigging tools from Textron. They’ll likely be made to order and cost several thousand dollars. For maintaining one or a few of your own aircraft, I would join ABS and rent.

Thanks for the advice, I did register at the ABS site but it is wanting me to pay for a subscription to view any further details, I did a search for the travel board but nothing came up except for forum topic posts about unrelated parts.

I also tried to use the Textron website https://www.textron.com/search/google/35-660040 but they don't seem to have a tool listing or I need another of their sister sites.

The tool I need is 35-660040 as stated in the IPC. I understand we need to have more then one travel board to perform the rigging, been utilizing the manual, and it does state that a travel board is needed to measure travel.

I have found a rental as I stated earlier but I want to make sure that we use the correct tool and not something fabricated in the back woods.

My coordinator is down for renting the tool like you suggested but we need to be sure its correct.

Tool rental I have found online:
https://ryanaircrafttools.com/products/1701

We are training students how to perform travel checks which is part of their 147 project. Having one of our aircraft not being utilized simply due to a lack of a tool is what I want to correct, and make sure its done right.

We were able to do the rigging of the ailerons as that simply required the gust lock installed on the control column and measuring out the quadrant while adjusting cable tensions until the ailerons neutralize. We had to remove the wings to get the Bonanza in the hanger area of the school so the ailerons had been out of rig which our students just put back into rig recently.

So now I am looking for that travel board to keep the students moving. The pedal rigging tools have a schematic in the manual with dimensions to fabricate, we can work with that. However that travel board does not have any schematic in the manual at all and is instead listed in the IPC which brings me to a forum chatting with you all.

Thanks for the help so far any further input would be appreciated!

PostPosted: 23 Mar 2021, 16:54 

Post Likes: +16330
Company: Mountain Airframe LLC
Hi Adam,
I’m sorry......I read (read skimmed) your first post on my phone this morning about 4am, before coffee. I assumed instructor and students was a flight school environment and you needed to get the plane in the air. So much for not reading before I open my mouth.

Okay, all the more reasons to rent the tools from Ryan or ABS, and then duplicating them. That’ll be a great project for your students. Working on these old tech GA planes require the mechanic to fabricate tooling often. No better time to learn than in the classroom. They AND you are the beneficiary!

As for getting the right tools for your serial number aircraft, I’m certain that ABS and Ryan can verify that they have what you need before they rent them to you.

Sounds like good fun. Thank you for teaching! Can you accept a donation for a complimentary membership to ABS?

PostPosted: 24 Mar 2021, 15:20 

Username Protected wrote:
Hi Adam,
I’m sorry......I read (read skimmed) your first post on my phone this morning about 4am, before coffee. I assumed instructor and students was a flight school environment and you needed to get the plane in the air. So much for not reading before I open my mouth.

Okay, all the more reasons to rent the tools from Ryan or ABS, and then duplicating them. That’ll be a great project for your students. Working on these old tech GA planes require the mechanic to fabricate tooling often. No better time to learn than in the classroom. They AND you are the beneficiary!

As for getting the right tools for your serial number aircraft, I’m certain that ABS and Ryan can verify that they have what you need before they rent them to you.

Sounds like good fun. Thank you for teaching! Can you accept a donation for a complimentary membership to ABS?

Teaching these students how to work and maintain old GA aircraft is fun! As an MRO mechanic that worked on Boeing and Airbus it can be a challenge sometimes, but that's where the fun comes in.

I thought I would be teaching from my past, but I have to learn the GA side of it and teach that as well. This of course gives me that normal feeling of working on something different every day that I got use to as a mechanic.

I thank you all for the advice you gave me and will definitely utilize this forum in the future.

For that last question, yes we can accept a donation for complimentary membership to ABS. I will send you the details on who to send that to. I am sure our students will appreciate it!

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ]