Greenwich AeroGroup (banner)

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Username Protected Message
 Post subject: Re: Looking for first plane
PostPosted: 05 Mar 2020, 12:20 

Post Likes: +1709
Aircraft: T210M
Username Protected wrote:
I'm in process of completing my pilot certificate and looking to buy a plane. My mission takes me over the Washington Cascades from the Seattle area into the Tri-cities a couple of times a month, typically 2 but could often be 4 persons. For now it will be VFR but I want to get my instrument rating as the weather between the Seattle area, over the Cascades, and into Eastern Washington is quite changeable.

I've been looking at Diamond DA40's, Cirrus SR22 and most recently at the Bonanza F33A. I would appreciate your thoughts and what specifically to look for in a Bonanza IFR rated plane.
Thanks!
RJ /

RJ,

Tell us more about the mission and the pilot. Is this a 12 months requirement? Work or pleasure? Is it a big deal to cancel or reschedule? How old are you? Are you a writer, artist, or mechanical engineer, or tech savvy person? Are the passengers family or work associates? How long have you been working on your PP? How do you rate yourself on knowledge of meteorology? Once you’ve spent the capital on the purchase, can your wallet or line of credit handle it if the engine takes a dump and needs a major OH? Do you have an experienced friend that could call prior to dispatch and ask for a second opinion on weather?

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2020, 15:35 

Post Likes: +5
I'm in process of completing my pilot certificate and looking to buy a plane. My mission takes me over the Washington Cascades from the Seattle area into the Tri-cities a couple of times a month, typically 2 but could often be 4 persons. For now it will be VFR but I want to get my instrument rating as the weather between the Seattle area, over the Cascades, and into Eastern Washington is quite changeable.

I've been looking at Diamond DA40's, Cirrus SR22 and most recently at the Bonanza F33A. I would appreciate your thoughts and what specifically to look for in a Bonanza IFR rated plane.
Thanks!
RJ /

RJ,

Tell us more about the mission and the pilot. Is this a 12 months requirement? Work or pleasure? Is it a big deal to cancel or reschedule? How old are you? Are you a writer, artist, or mechanical engineer, or tech savvy person? Are the passengers family or work associates? How long have you been working on your PP? How do you rate yourself on knowledge of meteorology? Once you’ve spent the capital on the purchase, can your wallet or line of credit handle it if the engine takes a dump and needs a major OH? Do you have an experienced friend that could call prior to dispatch and ask for a second opinion on weather?

This is strictly for pleasure - I'm retired IT professional. I have family over the mountains. Typical passengers would be two (wife and I). Most of my missions would be 300nm or less with the occasional +2 passengers for sight seeing. I have the budget for major OH, chute repack (depending on aircraft) and day to day maintenance. I don't like to let things go without jumping on the fix.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2020, 23:07 

Post Likes: +5226
Aircraft: 1961 Cessna 172
285/300hp normally aspirated should be fine for 2 people/300nm over some mountains

Bonanza with 50 gallons and 2 people climbs nicely

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2020, 14:00 

Post Likes: +301
Aircraft: Bonanza A36
I would appreciate your thoughts and what specifically to look for in a Bonanza IFR rated plane.
Thanks!
RJ /

Due to the age of Bonanzas you will find all sorts of IFR setups. I would pay a lot of attention to the Autopilot. Single pilot IFR (actually flying IMC) the AP can help you stay ahead of the airplane. Rate based/Attitude based/Analog/Digital...all have their pros and cons. Changing APs could be a $10k-$40k cost.

There are horror stories of spiraling costs to troubleshoot APs, so I wouldn't be satisfied reading it off a spec sheet.

The older the AP, the more costly it will be to integrate to other avionics. Read thru
https://www.avweb.com/ownership/retrofi ... precision/
gives you a primer on many APs you will see in planes.

All the planes listed would work for your mission. Sitting up front on the left flying solo I prefer the Bonanza, if sitting as a passenger I prefer the SR22. I am tall, and the DA42 never really felt comfortable to me, but test it out..you might like it.

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2020, 14:07 

I would appreciate your thoughts and what specifically to look for in a Bonanza IFR rated plane.
Thanks!
RJ /

Due to the age of Bonanzas you will find all sorts of IFR setups. I would pay a lot of attention to the Autopilot. Single pilot IFR (actually flying IMC) the AP can help you stay ahead of the airplane. Rate based/Attitude based/Analog/Digital...all have their pros and cons. Changing APs could be a $10k-$40k cost.

There are horror stories of spiraling costs to troubleshoot APs, so I wouldn't be satisfied reading it off a spec sheet.

The older the AP, the more costly it will be to integrate to other avionics. Read thru
https://www.avweb.com/ownership/retrofi ... precision/
gives you a primer on many APs you will see in planes.

All the planes listed would work for your mission. Sitting up front on the left flying solo I prefer the Bonanza, if sitting as a passenger I prefer the SR22. I am tall, and the DA42 never really felt comfortable to me, but test it out..you might like it.

Very good information - Thank you!

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2020, 18:38 

285/300hp normally aspirated should be fine for 2 people/300nm over some mountains

Any opinion on the 35 vs 33?

PostPosted: 08 Mar 2020, 09:52 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +5779
Company: Kokotele Guitar Works
Aircraft: C-182RG, C-172, PA28

Any opinion on the 35 vs 33?

Depending on year, the differences between the 2 are sometimes very small.

The 35 has magnesium ruddervators, which are prone to life ending corrosion. There is currently no replacement available for the skin and spares are in short supply. Read this thread before investing in a 35. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=166317&

If it were me, I'd probably be looking at a 33.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2020, 19:16 

Post Likes: +80
Aircraft: Baron G58, Vision Je
Cessna T210N would fit your mission and then some easily.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2020, 19:58 

WWW  Profile

Post Likes: +5779
Company: Kokotele Guitar Works
Aircraft: C-182RG, C-172, PA28
Get insurance quotes before settling on any plane. Lots of reports that the rates on a Cessna 210 are very high.

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2020, 22:03 

Get insurance quotes before settling on any plane. Lots of reports that the rates on a Cessna 210 are very high.

Thanks Eric - yes that is a mandatory box on my checklist. For example my first conversation with and insurance company rep opened my eyes on what a huge difference make and model have. I asked about a Cirrus SR22, and a Diamond DA40 and was told without question the Cirrus would be almost double the premium as the DA40. I have to done a comparison for a F33A so that will be an interesting conversation for perspective.

I'm partial to a low wing which makes the 210 less attractive to me...personal choice.

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2